Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Just got this kick-rear end book delivered from Japan

It's called Splatter Carnival and it's mostly text, but there's some great stills/pictures/posters, and all the titles are in english so I've been pouring through it looking for movies I never heard of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

German Shepherd mix and it scared him to poo poo, but it only was able to bite his pants. By the end he was on the ground with the dog tearing at his pants and a stranger drove up right next to them on the grass so my coworker could get in. The owner didnt even apologize or anything, just kept saying he was scared for his life.

Man people gently caress up their dogs. There was a guy around town who took his alpacas on therapy walks with mentally disabled people (gruesome: and a guy walking a hosed pit bull off leash had it freak out and it tore the alpaca to shreds. Feel real bad for the young woman with downes syndrome who was going on a nice therapeutic stroll with a cool animal and then had a very bad experience)

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jun 2, 2023

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
loving Amazon!!! :argh:

I'm watching 3000 Years of Longing and none of the scenes with non-English have subtitles. I thought it was an artistic choice at first, but after about 40 minutes, some scenes just make zero sense without subtitles. Turns out the Amazon Prime version is just hosed up and they used the wrong version of the film.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/nessuno2001/status/1663917603662835714?t=MTzR56X-_hzP8dWBULkjRg&s=19

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

That's neat because I hadn't spotted most of those specific instances, but I don't really think it's that different from the patented Kubrick Stare. Maybe you could call it a subliminal version of the same, with a lot of the same purpose

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The fourth wall is over rated.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The Peccadillo posted:

Man people gently caress up their dogs. There was a guy around town who took his alpacas on therapy walks with mentally disabled people and a dude was off-leash walking his hosed Pitt bull and it freaked out and tore the alpaca to shreds. Feel real bad for the young woman with downs syndrome who was going on a nice therapeutic stroll with a cool animal and then had a very bad experience

I didn’t appreciate getting that graphic image in my head. Maybe NMS and spoiler it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

therattle posted:

I didn’t appreciate getting that graphic image in my head. Maybe NMS and spoiler it.

Yeah that loving sucked

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Air Skwirl posted:

The fourth wall is over rated.

OSHA was just trying to be safe

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah that loving sucked

They eventually found him and put him in prison. And I assume killed his dog

the alpaca guy tried to fight off the dog and the dog owner tried to murder him

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jun 2, 2023

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Video essayists scraping the absolute bottom of the barrel I see.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

He does it in The Departed too, pretty sure. Maybe it's a Jack Nicholson thing.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

therattle posted:

Say, what race does your colleague happened to be?

He’s like the most all-american looking white boy. His parents are rich (Palm Beach rich) and he’s republican.

Alan Smithee posted:

that's not a lol at all

In Florida you learn to lol or kys. If he was actually injured I wouldnt lol but he’s fine.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

The Peccadillo posted:

Man people gently caress up their dogs. There was a guy around town who took his alpacas on therapy walks with mentally disabled people (gruesome: and a guy walking a hosed pit bull off leash had it freak out and it tore the alpaca to shreds. Feel real bad for the young woman with downes syndrome who was going on a nice therapeutic stroll with a cool animal and then had a very bad experience)

Jesus gently caress.

I’ve been a very lax dog owner but its fine because my dog weighs 4 lbs. and is afraid of everything (particularly flies! he gets so upset he pukes if there’s a fly in the apt). He can’t be outside without close supervision because an osprey or owl will literally take him.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Anyone here watch musicals?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Jay Rust posted:

Bollywood lmao

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

not frequently but i went to a screening of Fire Walk With Me last week and they opened it with this for some reason, it was pretty sick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn3ZGswnBas

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Jay Rust posted:

I do and I've been obsessing over this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHuDodgiDIQ

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Sup.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

not frequently but i went to a screening of Fire Walk With Me last week and they opened it with this for some reason, it was pretty sick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn3ZGswnBas

I've got a home Plex server and I like putting weird poo poo as the preroll before movies start, if anyone has any other weird little Hollywood segments like this, drop 'em because I want to add 'em to my rotation.

PKMN Trainer Red fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 2, 2023

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
It makes me sad that we don't get nearly as many stage-to-film adaptations as we used to because there are so many amazing plays and musicals that totally fly under the pop culture radar, though on the other hand the vast majority of them seem to get hosed up beyond recognition in translation so maybe it's better this way.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It makes me sad that we don't get nearly as many stage-to-film adaptations as we used to because there are so many amazing plays and musicals that totally fly under the pop culture radar, though on the other hand the vast majority of them seem to get hosed up beyond recognition in translation so maybe it's better this way.
What are your Top 5 that you think could be adapted into a great movie?

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Coaaab posted:

This wasn't directed at me, but musicals that would make a great movie:

1. Hadestown
2. Assassins
3. Miss Saigon
4. Company
5. Natasha, Pierre & The Great Comet of 1812 (yes I know it's War and Peace but make a focused version of just this show, rather than another nine hour epic)

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

What are some movies you'd like to see adapted to the stage? I was just thinking how well Dog Day Afternoon could be adapted.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Coaaab posted:

Top 5 is tough, but for plays (just from the past few years)
-Leopoldstadt
-The Ferryman
-Slave Play
-Home, I'm Darling
-The Wolves

And musicals:
-A Strange Loop
-Parade
-Fun Home
-Natasha, Pierre & The Great Comet of 1812
-A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

This wasn't directed at me, but musicals that would make a great movie:

1. Hadestown

This needs to be a movie ASAP

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I also forgot to say that Sundays in the Park with George would be excellent too but I'm trying to not just dump a bunch of Sondheim but for real though.

ruddiger posted:

What are some movies you'd like to see adapted to the stage? I was just thinking how well Dog Day Afternoon could be adapted.

Women Talking was basically already a stage production so why not. Not a particularly popular movie but Down With Love should have been a stage production with a handful of campy songs. And for an unconventional choice, StageFright (1987) should be a stage play for deeply meta reasons.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

This needs to be a movie ASAP

And do it before Patrick Page's voice starts to fade or Reeve Carney starts to look like Ben Platt in the loving Evan Hansen movie.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I’m adapting two although neither is well-known. And I’m reading a screenplay based on a play that I might EP.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Magic Hate Ball posted:

oh yeah, we need more great stage musicals like Dear Evan Hansen to be made into movies so normal people can see what theater people are up to

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I've seen very few musicals but I'd love to see the Les Miserables musical adapted to film by a director who is not an incompetent boob.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
At least Linklater is working on Merrily We Roll Along, though it won't be out for 20 years or whatever. That's my favourite Sondheim probably (maybe Follies on another day)

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Saw a scene from Terrifier 2 in the Fangoria Awards and thought it was the main protagonist getting completely ripped apart so when I finally watched it, I thought the movie was gonna be way more nihilistic and everyone was just going to get it in the worst way, and was a bit disappointed that the ending really wimped out.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I watched Hail, Caesar! At first I was like this is fantastic, why do people call this a lesser Coen? But by the end I got it. I think the main problems are that Alden Errenreich delivers way too good of a performance, he pulls the emotional core of the movie to him but the movie isn't structured to work with that. And the by far least interesting plotline, the kidnapping, takes up the bulk of the runtime.

It's definitely a fun ride with lots of good stuff, but it doesn't cohere together as a solid movie.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Is All Hallow’s Eve any good?

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

It has occasional moments, but it's generally just OK. The wraparound is fine, the first and second story are a little rough, the last one is workable. It's probably worth a watch as part of the larger Art the Clown thing, but I don't think I'd force one of my friends to watch it some chilly October evening.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The clips I saw seemed very bad. It feels like Damian’s spark really began with Terrifier 2. Make it funny! That’s the key to a great horror film

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
We need a film adaptation of Urinetown and a musical adaptation of Little Miss Sunshine.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Who hyped for twisters

I am

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Jay Rust posted:

Oklahoma kicks rear end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXDk5IOUWBo

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
My dad hates Oklahoma, but then again, he went to the University of Texas, so he's biased.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

It lost some appeal once I aged out of getting candy and then petty vandalism, but in college it was fun to watch someone do the walk of shame in a funny costume the morning after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I think The Last Five Years could be a good movie if it leans into both it’s protagonists being terrible and wasn’t so drat literal.

The show is just two people who really only interact once in the whole show. It has to be a little surreal to capture that.

I will also try not to simp Sondheim too much, but I have the PBS Great Performances DVD of Sunday in the Park With George and watch it about once a year. I wish there were more of those only slightly fancy recordings of stage shows. 3 cameras max. Almost entirely stationary. Lemme see the goddamn play.