Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

After clearing 148 on my tal's meteor wizard, I geared up a trag'oul death nova necro. Cleared 149 with the necro on a barely decent map after a week of farming... still having too much fun to push 150 now, which would make it feel like I'm "done." Probably gonna roll a monk next and then finish 150 with the wizard or necro once that gets boring!

exquisite tea posted:

The altar gimmick isn't something Blizzard would do in S1 but it makes sense for S28 since we've all been to the rodeo at least a couple dozen times by now and have already optimized getting to 70 as fast as possible.

If the Altar doesn't go evergreen, S29 will feel like such a chore... maybe they can keep the QoL on the altar and de-tune some of the raw damage/damage reduction if they want another theme to be meaningful?

Sacrifice for power was really compelling, since you were often choosing between a needed upgrade and altar progress. I wouldn't mind it being part of the mix for every season going forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slum Loser
May 6, 2011
I might just start a monk to crack into GR 100+, those are good, right? Haven't played one in years.

My WW barb stalled out and isn't finding what's needed to push well compared to previous seasons (lacking both damage and toughness which is crazy with Altar and higher Paragon, though I probably hosed the build up a little by not writing the old one down before rebirthing), and I don't think i'll get as lucky with primal WW gear this time around.

Though I started with a Tal's Meteor Wiz and went deep + had fun, it's still a bit squishier than I'd like (even though it hilariously has more toughness than the barb) as the pylon champions usually chunk out HP quickly when I trigger them. My goal for the wizard was also to do some kind of janky LOD build once I had enough of the altar unlocked... but that requires ancients to shine.

Are people just augmenting whatever half-good gear to get deeper for more farming since augments are easier than ever?

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Slum Loser posted:

Are people just augmenting whatever half-good gear to get deeper for more farming since augments are easier than ever?

Yes, as long as the character will be around long enough for it to be meaningful, and as long as you can do echoing nightmares to 126+ quickly and consistently.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

LoD Orb is my favorite off-meta Wiz build because you're super tanky and get to wear cool stuff like The Witching Hour and Pride's Fall :orb:ing everything in sight. Not terrible either, my top solo clear with it is ~GR140 this season.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I just started a LoD wave of light monk last night and its fun in comparison to trag necro and tal wiz since you get to just teleport and zoom around real fast and punch stuff. Wiz feels kinda boring in comparison even though it is far stronger.

Thinking of trying DH next to farm rift keys

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Slum Loser posted:

I might just start a monk to crack into GR 100+, those are good, right? Haven't played one in years.

Monks are evergreen and the three highest builds are LoD WoL, PoJ and Innas which are all super easy.

Slum Loser posted:

Even before echos were a thing if I had like an 80% there ancient I'd put an augment on it from a gem I had a copy of, usually I'd collect like 30 extra copies of a gem I wasn't going to use to dump levels into as I sped GRs. So if my group was blitzing let's say 120s in an earlier season I'd have a ton of 110-120 gems and just end up augmenting everything that I could on all builds in the armory and on my followers for when I did solo play. Then on my main gear we'd do push runs to peak our gems as high as we could and that'd be saved for GR push build stuff and by the time I was at that point in the season I would have as close as you could hope perfect ancients or primals to aug.

This season it's the same thing but echos accelerated the process because we get access to higher level augs sooner.

Jows
May 8, 2002

S29 should just be all previous season gimmicks altogether all at once.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Jows posted:

:emptyquote:

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

I heard they announced the D2 Ladder Reset (May 4th) on the D4 end game stream, wonder if we'll find out about S29 timing soon? Wasn't there vague statements it would happen before D4?

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I just started a LoD wave of light monk last night and its fun in comparison to trag necro and tal wiz since you get to just teleport and zoom around real fast and punch stuff. Wiz feels kinda boring in comparison even though it is far stronger.

Thinking of trying DH next to farm rift keys

Just do Inna or PoJ (or even WoL) for T16. I find it faster and easier than GoD.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Jows posted:

Give out all seasonal sets with a vendor would be nice.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Boatswain posted:

Just do Inna or PoJ (or even WoL) for T16. I find it faster and easier than GoD.

I tried Inna for the first time yesterday, and drat it's fast. Having water allies do the work while I just mash in-geom-enabled dashing strike is the best combination of smooth and fast I've ever tried.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
The speed variant of Trags Death Nova is also insanely fast with the boots that give you a run speed boost after every blood rush.

The AetherWalker variant of Tal's Meteor is an honourable mention. To me it feels a bit weaker than the necro because you drop Karini to run RoRG + Stone of Jordan+ Squirts in the cube..

There's also an explosive blast variant of that I haven't tried yet, but it seems odd to run tals without meteor on the action barhttps://maxroll.gg/d3/guides/tal-rasha-explosive-blast-wizard-guide.

The meteor version swaps In geom for viz in the cube, and runs sparkflint, thunderclap, calamity, and ice armour to trigger the elemental procs for tals, with diamond skin and magic weapon usually. You can basically cast one thunderclap to proc the lightning elemental bonus then teleport around and let the auto proc meteors do the killing.

All 3 of those builds rival GoD DH for speed, with the added bonus that you can warp through walls in the more dungenony tilesets. If you swap in boon of the hoarder + avarice band they can clear a T16 bounty in seconds. I haven't tried it myself but apparently Krelms Buff Belt + Rachel's Ring of Larceny can get you a similar run speed boost in GR Speeds.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
My glass jaw wizard was driving me nuts so I swapped the Zei's for an Esoteric and my buddy told me to slap a Nemesis Bracer on my minion. Went from being locked at GR138 to just clearing 142.

First time I ever I bothered really chasing these higher numbers, so I'm still gathering enemies and scoping for elites inefficiently.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Don Dongington posted:

The speed variant of Trags Death Nova is also insanely fast with the boots that give you a run speed boost after every blood rush.

The AetherWalker variant of Tal's Meteor is an honourable mention. To me it feels a bit weaker than the necro because you drop Karini to run RoRG + Stone of Jordan+ Squirts in the cube..

There's also an explosive blast variant of that I haven't tried yet, but it seems odd to run tals without meteor on the action barhttps://maxroll.gg/d3/guides/tal-rasha-explosive-blast-wizard-guide.

The meteor version swaps In geom for viz in the cube, and runs sparkflint, thunderclap, calamity, and ice armour to trigger the elemental procs for tals, with diamond skin and magic weapon usually. You can basically cast one thunderclap to proc the lightning elemental bonus then teleport around and let the auto proc meteors do the killing.

All 3 of those builds rival GoD DH for speed, with the added bonus that you can warp through walls in the more dungenony tilesets. If you swap in boon of the hoarder + avarice band they can clear a T16 bounty in seconds. I haven't tried it myself but apparently Krelms Buff Belt + Rachel's Ring of Larceny can get you a similar run speed boost in GR Speeds.

Tals speed build that kills everything with teleport:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3dloeI-4yk

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Cleared GR 150 with Tal's comet on my first key (but at paragon 2100 with nearly BIS and fully augmented gear). First floor was a mediocre cemetery but I just kept pushing, skipped a few yellow elites and didn't even have perfect grouping, finished with 3 minutes to spare.

Kinda tempted to grind gems above lvl 125 for augmentation, or try a zDH or something. Season 28 is just so nice.

coelomate fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 30, 2023

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Getting gems up to 140-145 is pretty easy with Tal's.

Slum Loser
May 6, 2011
Finished a bunch more altar nodes with the Tal's wizard once I put together something decent. Since I was starved for good loot I was using with an OK RoRG and fit 3 pieces of Firebird's which made no difference to damage but allowed me to spam teleport, plus some augments on so-so gear made a big difference. The newly-minted monk is now the moribund character.

Don't think I'll finish the altar but great season.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Yeah I got stuck on the page part of the altar and pretty much gave up on it. It was still a super fun season though

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Based on my recent experience starting from scratch on the Switch, you really do hit a brick wall until you can grab the double bounties and double death breaths nodes, and can scrape together enough gear to do torment 16 bounties and rifts comfortably.

Once you get a follower sorted with Cains and Sages, a couple acts of bounties or 3-4 T16 rifts worth of key farming will net you so many DBs that you can basically throw all 5 sets together in a few hours by gambling and upgrading the yellows. You get absolute poo poo from farming gr20-75 alone, so having the death breaths to convert parts and Arcane dust and upgrade gambled yellows is loving everything.

At GR90+ you start to get enough drops off the rift guardians that running speeds and just gambling and salvaging is good enough, but early on recipe 3 is the fast way out of that gear rut.

Although, upgrading yellows has the highest chance of spawning a primal or ancient so it's still pretty OP even later on

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
The pages are easy enough if you just keep copies of all the set items that drop while you're gearing up, or if you do the 6 set GR conquest, but if you just shard them all then trying to get them all at once is an Ordeal.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I finished the altar and boy I love the staff of herding

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Chilltara made me not play for a week and I was maybe a half hour away from giving up on finishing the altar at all. The one negative in an otherwise great season. It's an unacceptably boring grind that freezes your progression, keeping you out of rifts and bounties

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
I farmed the staff on PC and Switch.

...Both softcore and hardcore for each platform.

:shepicide:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Don Dongington posted:

Although, upgrading yellows has the highest chance of spawning a primal or ancient so it's still pretty OP even later on

I guess if the altar double kadala gambles actually worked, in theory...

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
does anyone know - is there a way to turn off the auto-aiming if i’m playing on switch?

it automatically snaps the aiming between enemies after killing one. and it kind of ruins my feeling that my input matters to the game. i like aiming

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
While everyone is busy going through D4 I figured I'd finally crack season 28. Wizard... just stops dead. Got spoiled last season by monk transitioning nicely from leveling to starter set to innas and ending on WoL. Hydra set definitely ain't doing that.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Hydra Wiz gets as much from Serpent's Sparker / Frag as they do from their class set, SS especially because of the multiplicative effect on Typhon's. Cube up rare wands until you get one, 2/7 chance to get something good. It's smooth sailing from there.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Secrets getting tal meteor going then you become god.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Hydra Wiz gets as much from Serpent's Sparker / Frag as they do from their class set, SS especially because of the multiplicative effect on Typhon's. Cube up rare wands until you get one, 2/7 chance to get something good. It's smooth sailing from there.

I got fragment, but yeah still trying on SS. I haven't spent this much time in T1 since... probably the start of seasons.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

A Hydra Wiz should be able to do the T20 dungeon needed to get their full set with just the 4pc bonus, especially if you already have a Frag.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

A Hydra Wiz should be able to do the T20 dungeon needed to get their full set with just the 4pc bonus, especially if you already have a Frag.

It didn't really click until SS dropped. That snowballed into the offhand on the next run, and now I'm back in t16 where things are normal again. Was just a weird speed bump in the middle I didn't get with my monk.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Silly question, got the game on Switch but idk what class to play. Which class do you all think feels best on controller? I am leaning towards Barb, but it is just a hunch.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Mesadoram posted:

Silly question, got the game on Switch but idk what class to play. Which class do you all think feels best on controller? I am leaning towards Barb, but it is just a hunch.

I mean you can play whatever you want, but in terms of console stuff where aiming isn't allowed I'd probably say Frenzy Barb, one of the death nova Necros, or Inna Monk would fit in there. The latter two have teleports but you typically spam them to move rather than use them for attacking like Wizard does. The current weekly challenge run is some form of Savage Frenzy Barb if you want to play around with it.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Mailer posted:

I mean you can play whatever you want, but in terms of console stuff where aiming isn't allowed I'd probably say Frenzy Barb, one of the death nova Necros, or Inna Monk would fit in there. The latter two have teleports but you typically spam them to move rather than use them for attacking like Wizard does. The current weekly challenge run is some form of Savage Frenzy Barb if you want to play around with it.

Inna Monk does sound fun on controller now that you mention it! Thank you :unsmith: .

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM
I haven't played on controller in years but GoD DH seems like a really obvious plays-better-on-controller build.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Mailer posted:

Funny, I think frenzy barb is the worst with a controller vs. PC. On PC you just keep running when you hold down frenzy and slash when you get to enemies, console you stand in place or stutter step. Still, barb builds are good on controller otherwise. I've done all of them probably and none of them are outright bad. Most the WW like builds (barb WW or GoD DH) are really easy with a controller. Anything you don't have to have great aim with will feel better.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
I was having great fun as a necromancer hardcore, but sort of hit a wall optimizing my build to kill while staying alive.

I've made a wizard, and holy poo poo necromancer was fun but this feels RIGHT. I'm running unstable scepter and wizardspike, with gems and passives orientated to +cold +chill/frozen and +dmg to slowed enemies. I'm not sure how well I can withstand damage, because nothing survives on my screen with nonstop frozen orbs everywhere. I've got shield magic weapon and familiar up because I don't need any other skills.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

LoD Frozen Orb is one of my favorite off-meta builds. Super tanky and fun to just huck orbs all over the place, plus you get to wear fun items like Frostburn and Pride's Fall. You can get up to around GR140 this season so it's not too far off in power, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

exquisite tea posted:

LoD Frozen Orb is one of my favorite off-meta builds. Super tanky and fun to just huck orbs all over the place, plus you get to wear fun items like Frostburn and Pride's Fall. You can get up to around GR140 this season so it's not too far off in power, either.

I'm still cautiously creeping through the 20s of greater rifts, upgrading the +dmg to slowed enemies and +chill time/cold dmg chills gems. Apart from wizardspike and unstable scepter I've got the halo ring that boosts frost armor, and a trait that gives me more damage and arcane power if I'm moving.

Not running LoD build yet as I've got augchilds going at the moment to keep me alive(again, hardcore), though I have the oh-poo poo passive on myself and the enchantress, as well as leorics pauldrons. Any suggestions on items or skills for this build? Hoping to find a squirter necklace soon.