Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

yeah, i just finished up Neuromancer by Gibson for a book club. Molly, a "samurai" mercenary lady explicitly is taken advantage of by those mind things before she gets cybered up and murders a john.

definitely nasty, and not a necessary part of modern cyberpunk games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

tokenbrownguy posted:

yeah, i just finished up Neuromancer by Gibson for a book club. Molly, a "samurai" mercenary lady explicitly is taken advantage of by those mind things before she gets cybered up and murders a john.

definitely nasty, and not a necessary part of modern cyberpunk games.

Yeah I don't think this is one of the places where you can blame the edgelordy stuff on the game writers, the literary inspiration for SR, CP20XX and every other Cyberpunk setting is full of weird sexual violence. Cybered up prostitute assassins were a theme in more than one story.

Most of the tropes of OG cyberpunk are rooted in the western cultural fears of the late 70's and early 80's. So I think the killer sex worker thing might stem from the AIDS crisis, there was a lot of "Sex can kill you" fearmongering in the media at the time.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
It’s more the genre authors’ belief that sex work is bad and people doing sex work are selling their bodies and cyberpunk is everything bad in our society taken to 11.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I've been reading a lot of Usagi Yojimbo lately, excellent comic series btw. Is the newest edition of the RPG based on the comic any good? Or the previous ones for that matter.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Wait holy poo poo the original was by STOLZE???

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

ninjoatse.cx posted:

It’s more the genre authors’ belief that sex work is bad and people doing sex work are selling their bodies and cyberpunk is everything bad in our society taken to 11.

"Sex work is bad" is not at all consistent with Gibson's stated views. "People in Neuromancer's setting get taken advantage of in exact proportion to their vulnerability" is, however.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kestral posted:

"Sex work is bad" is not at all consistent with Gibson's stated views. "People in Neuromancer's setting get taken advantage of in exact proportion to their vulnerability" is, however.
Yes, the sex workers in CP2077 are essentially unionized, and there is an optional quest to help organize a brothel.

It would be fair to say this stuff is unnecessary and gratuitous, of course.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Deus Ex HR also had a brothel where many prostitutes are made to get bionics to appeal to client tastes. Ghost in the Shell has at least a few sexbots gone murderous. It's usually pretty lurid however it's treated.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Deus Ex HR also had a brothel where many prostitutes are made to get bionics to appeal to client tastes. Ghost in the Shell has at least a few sexbots gone murderous. It's usually pretty lurid however it's treated.

assuming any new technology will be immediately repurposed to do sex stuff is solidly grounded in reality tho

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

If automation can replace sex trafficking, bring on the automation. I'd rather robots get hustled from country to country to serve perverts than innocent humans.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

If automation can replace sex trafficking, bring on the automation. I'd rather robots get hustled from country to country to serve perverts than innocent humans.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Bar Crow posted:

Losing control of your material conditions in exchange for treats just means you are in an intermediate stage. The treats will be be taken away because there is nothing you can do about it.

But what does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

LatwPIAT posted:

But what does that have to do with the price of tea in China?
Quite a lot given the massive negative impact that British colonialism in India had on China's tea exports, unless that's :thejoke:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kestral posted:

And I think a lot of the 'sex worker cyber killers' probably comes to us from Priss, both in Blade Runner and Bubblegum Crisis. (At least it's probably where Pondsmith got it, but I haven't read Hard Wired so maybe there too.)

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Is there an easy way to match paint colors? I ordered a figurine from China, and some of the parts are mispainted. Is there an easy way to sample a color and then find out what to buy / how to mix?

e: is there a better thread to ask in?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Dawgstar posted:

And I think a lot of the 'sex worker cyber killers' probably comes to us from Priss, both in Blade Runner and Bubblegum Crisis. (At least it's probably where Pondsmith got it, but I haven't read Hard Wired so maybe there too.)

If I recall correctly (it's been decades) Hardwired had a male prostitute/spy/assassin with a weird throat weapon that I think they called "The Snake".
The other major influence on Pondsmiths CP was When Gravity Fails which had (trans) sex workers as secondary characters, I think they were mostly victims of the murder plot line though and not killers themselves.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Is there an easy way to match paint colors? I ordered a figurine from China, and some of the parts are mispainted. Is there an easy way to sample a color and then find out what to buy / how to mix?

e: is there a better thread to ask in?

The mini painting thread would be a better place, but I can't think of any reliable way to do that, other than consulting a paint manufacturers color chart.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Sex workers are especially vulnerable to exploitation and sex work is especially suited to exploiting vulnerable people. You need a healthy political and societal attitude toward sex to put the infrastructure in place to counter this but most western societies (and non-western presumably but I'm sticking to what I know) have anything but. So you don't have to think sex work is inherently bad for "cyberpunk is everything bad in our society taken to 11" to lead to "sex work in cyberpunk land would/will be hosed up beyond all belief". e: like you don't have to think that warehouse work is morally wrong to extrapolate from the current state of Amazon to Bezos brand brain chips that flat out disable your pain sensors for 12 hours a day.

So on the one hand yeah maybe you're right about they writers' motivations and attitudes, but on the other hand death of the author etc. In the gripping hand I'm not playing a cyberpunk RPG or reading a cyberpunk book to read about hosed up future rape so no matter how much it "makes sense" maybe leave it out anyway?

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jun 3, 2023

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I feel like there's probably a mix of "hmmm, yes, what if I mix boobies in with my robots and violence, that would be very exciting" and "it would be believable that in this super hosed up world, what is already hosed up would be extra hosed up, with robots," but I generally get non-greasy feelings from most cyberpunk stuff.

CP2077, for all its flaws, genuinely felt like the plotline with the brothel managed to make me feel disgust at what was normalized for the prostitutes(renting out their bodies in the most literal and dehumanizing way imaginable, as puppets run by horny algorithms for customers to have fun with) without ever feeling like the prostitutes were in any way blamed or shamed for it.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

trapstar posted:

Just a random thought that came to my head.

Would you guys rather live your life as someone rich in a medieval fantasy world or be poor but live in modern day RL?

I choose to be rich but in our regular medieval world. I commission a sturdy tablet detailing the events of the early 21st century and bury it somewhere it won't be found until it's too late. I become history's greatest mystery.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ettin posted:

I choose to be rich but in our regular medieval world. I commission a sturdy tablet detailing the events of the early 21st century and bury it somewhere it won't be found until it's too late. I become history's greatest mystery.

they already blew up the georgia guidestones

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Splicer posted:

So on the one hand yeah maybe you're right about they writers' motivations and attitudes, but on the other hand death of the author etc. In the gripping hand I'm not playing a cyberpunk RPG or reading a cyberpunk book to read about hosed up future rape so no matter how much it "makes sense" maybe leave it out anyway?

You don't have to put a spotlight on it, it's not a major part of the core play loop in any cyberpunk game I've played. Like any other TTRPG, you own the tone and the content at the table.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Modiphius's Conan license is expiring, so you can get all the pdfs for a song right now on dtrpg.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/232064/Conan-by-Crom-BUNDLE

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Ettin posted:

This but instead of anything detailed, I use abstract Loss iconography on everything in my realm

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Ettin posted:

If that's on the table, can I recommend leaving a big stone block of Nostradumus' quatrains translated into Chinese 200 years before and near where he was born.

That'd really gently caress them up.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

dwarf74 posted:

Modiphius's Conan license is expiring, so you can get all the pdfs for a song right now on dtrpg.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/232064/Conan-by-Crom-BUNDLE

94% off is a hell of a deal for a legit good game.

$28.17 vs. $443.42

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ettin posted:

Xiahou Dun posted:

If that's on the table, can I recommend leaving a big stone block of Nostradumus' quatrains translated into Chinese 200 years before and near where he was born.

That'd really gently caress them up.

the real reason time cops were invented

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Runa posted:

the real reason time cops were invented

ATCAB

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

Medieval fantasy world covers a pretty broad spectrum. Westeros is a medieval fantasy world and it's an absolute horrifying shitshow for everyone involved.

If I were rich in Westeros I'd probably just gently caress off to one of the city states on the other continent and live in decadent luxury but also avoiding stepping on people's toes

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Being middle-class in a sci fi setting sounds like the best call. However, important caveat: Can I bring books back to the medieval era with me? Even one will do.

Frakas
Mar 6, 2022
depicting bad stuff happening in the future, where by definition all problems have been solved? hard pass homie

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I think only MonsieurChoc here cares about this other than me but man I wanna run a tabletop set on the Anbennar setting.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Why?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Orcs must Dookan

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It's good and covers parts of the early modern era that aren't normally touched on in fantasy settings. It has a lot of built in villain potential by how many nations are set up to become world threatening magic empires if they get going. It also helps that anyone who has content is written as the protagonist of their own story.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Plutonis posted:

I think only MonsieurChoc here cares about this other than me but man I wanna run a tabletop set on the Anbennar setting.

This drat thing takes 4 DLCs totaling $65. wtf

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Terrible Opinions posted:

It's good and covers parts of the early modern era that aren't normally touched on in fantasy settings. It has a lot of built in villain potential by how many nations are set up to become world threatening magic empires if they get going. It also helps that anyone who has content is written as the protagonist of their own story.

Are there matchlocks?

I’m a sucker for matchlock representation in fantasy.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Hey, that's cheaper than most stuff to get in this board :wink:

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Oh wow, a fantasy EU IV total conversion. That merits looking into.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

ninjoatse.cx posted:

CitizenKeen posted:

Oh wow, a fantasy EU IV total conversion. That merits looking into.
I choose to believe that being told it was 65 dollars in DLC just immediately let you know it was a Paradox game.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Are there matchlocks?

I’m a sucker for matchlock representation in fantasy.
It's a grand strategy game so not a huge amount of representation in the main source material, but eu4 covers 1444 through 1821. Anbennar covers the same time period with similar techological innovations, so presumably the first wave of guns units are using matchlocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I may just be fundamentally juvenile, but I keep having trouble getting into any Anbennar lore just because one of the main characters is named "Dookan." It's too close to scatological jokes for me to keep my head in the fiction.