Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

idonotlikepeas posted:

Pedro X. Molina

Kellies Nomination: Best Overall

I know it's just ripping off an old Simpsons meme, but it's definitely still true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: Florida Man Thinks He's a Winner

Ted Rall posted:

Ron DeSantis is really far behind Donald Trump in the polls for the Republican presidential nomination. Yet he argues that he has a better chance of defeating Joe Biden in the general election.

First Dog on the Moon: The mysterious case of PwC and the misuse of confidential government tax information

That last bit isn't a joke about wouldn't it be funny if this happened, war criminal Ben Roberts-Smith really was offered a partnership at PwC.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Trapezium Dave posted:

Rall: Florida Man Thinks He's a Winner

Low hanging fruit, but Ted gives a pretty accurate description of Ron's chances

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
A.F. Branco

Al Goodwyn

Andy Marlette

Chip Bok

Gary Varvel

John Deering

Gary Markstein

Michael Ramirez

Mike Luckovich

Steve Breen

Tom Stiglich

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

So to figure out what Rall’s cartoon on schools not outing trans students meant, I listened to his podcast. A podcast with Stantis as the only other person, so please understand my sacrifice.

*Bottom line, Rall thinks the trans movement is happening too fast. You can tell it’s his own discomfort with trans people fueling this
*He finds both Jenner’s and Mulvaney’s transitions “freaky” because the former is “ugly” and the latter is “cute.”
*He didn’t understand how a seven-year-old could be intersex, which is even sadder since intersex is a biological condition that makes it different when it comes to gender identity. It’s clear he’s done zero research on this.
*There are “zero trans political cartoonists.” Please inform Matt Lubchansky and Alison Sayers that they in fact do not exist. And that’s just two I know off the top of my head
*Rall is against trans women in women’s sports
*He thinks cis is hypocritical because trans people wants to be called something and not forced to be called something else, but then they force him to be called cis. Thank god he decided to be called a white heterosexual male cartoonist.

So yeah, Rall’s take is extremely liberal in that he’s superficially supportive until he has to deal with it personally.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Pants Donkey posted:

So to figure out what Rall’s cartoon on schools not outing trans students meant, I listened to his podcast. A podcast with Stantis as the only other person, so please understand my sacrifice.

I know that this is a thread where we engage in ritualistic self-harm, but you may have taken things too far this time. Nevertheless, thank you for your service.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

Skios posted:

Gary Varvel

I mean, he tripped, and got some help getting up, but seems fine? It's not like he shattered his hip.

Wait a sec. Do you think that right-wing stooges wringing their hands about Biden's age might be doing so in a disingenuous manner?!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Pants Donkey posted:

Are Stantis’s contributions to the podcast just sometimes interjecting phrases like “politics, huh?” and “boy both sides sure are crazy! I’m glad I’m right in the middle as a libertarian”?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Murdstone posted:

Are Stantis’s contributions to the podcast just sometimes interjecting phrases like “politics, huh?” and “boy both sides sure are crazy! I’m glad I’m right in the middle as a libertarian”?

"Other things i like
Stale bread
Water without ice
the newest season of the simpsons
Aaaaand sand"

*Credits roll*

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

I mean, he tripped, and got some help getting up, but seems fine? It's not like he shattered his hip.

Wait a sec. Do you think that right-wing stooges wringing their hands about Biden's age might be doing so in a disingenuous manner?!
Yeah but also he is definitely way too loving old

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Murdstone posted:

Unsurprisingly, Rall did most of the talking. Stantis gave the ”I’m more a libertarian , so I am fine with the gays.” line.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah but also he is definitely way too loving old

Oh definitely, I just hate that the good-faith arguments against having someone that old in the White House are up against "he's got poo-brain dementia and shits himself constantly and doesn't know where he is and is gonna keel over any day now, and that's why we need to elect young, scrappy Donald Trump".

Pants Donkey posted:

Unsurprisingly, Rall did most of the talking. Stantis gave the ”I’m more a libertarian , so I am fine with the gays.” line.

(He was not, in fact, fine with the gays.)

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

ungulateman posted:

they're letting the genie out of the bottle, and now they can't put it back in.

it's not the best turn of phrase to draw a picture of because of the exact issue you're running into, where there's a presumption of wishes

We don’t really have the cultural background in the US for the cliche “letting the genie out of the bottle” to make any sense to us, our only touch point is ‘Disney’s Aladdin’.

Pants Donkey posted:

*Bottom line, Rall thinks the trans movement is happening too fast. You can tell it’s his own discomfort with trans people fueling this
*He finds both Jenner’s and Mulvaney’s transitions “freaky” because the former is “ugly” and the latter is “cute.”
*He didn’t understand how a seven-year-old could be intersex, which is even sadder since intersex is a biological condition that makes it different when it comes to gender identity. It’s clear he’s done zero research on this.
*There are “zero trans political cartoonists.” Please inform Matt Lubchansky and Alison Sayers that they in fact do not exist. And that’s just two I know off the top of my head
*Rall is against trans women in women’s sports
*He thinks cis is hypocritical because trans people wants to be called something and not forced to be called something else, but then they force him to be called cis. Thank god he decided to be called a white heterosexual male cartoonist.

So yeah, Rall’s take is extremely liberal in that he’s superficially supportive until he has to deal with it personally.

“Felt cute, might make Ted Rall uncomfortable later”

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

https://twitter.com/Iybraesil1987/status/1664652109705359367?t=UgKEeHiefs1RzJyU7osDPg&s=19

Found this one in the wilds of Twitter.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Peter Daou is a Marianne Williamson staffer so whatever else is going on with your post, he is at least okay with "vaccine skeptics."

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on the UK government’s fight with the Covid inquiry – Ministers are to launch legal action against the official Covid public inquiry in a last-ditch attempt to avoid handing over Boris Johnson’s unredacted WhatsApps"

Telegraph:

House prices fall at fastest pace since financial crisis

Independent:

"Through the looking glass: Labour is now the low-immigration party"

Times:

Kathleen Stock talk at Oxford Union disrupted by protesters

Evening Standard:

Rishi Sunak under pressure over Covid inquiry legal battle as Boris Johnson hands over WhatsApps

Stephen Collins:

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Cloud Potato posted:

Stephen Collins:

is there an award for *best* A Thing Happened?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Stultus Maximus posted:

Peter Daou is a Marianne Williamson staffer so whatever else is going on with your post, he is at least okay with "vaccine skeptics."

It's important to remind people this because a dumb rear end in a top hat is still capable of stating objectively true facts about Twitter Dems

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

That’s Fluggenock, who is the other cartoonist taking money directly from RT.

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

As opposed to Republican congress people, who...also receive government money? I don't get this one.

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

Skios posted:

Gary Varvel

Trump is less than 4 years younger than Biden, so you have age concerns about Trump too, right Varvel?

...Right?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

JamesBont posted:

As opposed to Republican congress people, who...also receive government money? I don't get this one.

They get enough corporate money by giving government money to corporations that they could do without government money themselves.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

JamesBont posted:

Trump is less than 4 years younger than Biden, so you have age concerns about Trump too, right Varvel?

...Right?
Those who dare betray Daddy for Florida Man use that as justification for the age thing. Although I’m sure plenty would still vote for Trump should he win the primary. It’s not like they’re suddenly going to be consistent now.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Discendo Vox posted:

That’s Fluggenock, who is the other cartoonist taking money directly from RT.

Huh, I guess money can't buy talent.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Clay Bennett

Lisa Benson

Jeff Stahler

Kevin "KAL" Kallaugher

Pedro X. Molina

Lee Judge

Mike Smith

Kirk Walters

Jimmy Margulies

Ed Gamble

David M. Hitch

Randall Enos - A Little Gift for the GOP

Dave Whamond

Drew Sheneman

David Horsey

Noted Boomer, David Horsey posted:

Ever since the COVID-19 pandemic came to town in 2020, I have been working from home. Before that — starting in 2009 — I had the option of working from home or going to the office, depending on what the day’s job required. As a result, I can sympathize with the hundreds of workers who walked out of Amazon’s Seattle headquarters on Wednesday to complain about the company’s new requirement that they be in the office a minimum of three days a week.

Working from home has many benefits, most of all the flexibility to shift work hours around to deal with the demands of private life more easily. There is no commute, less wasted time and, for many, more productivity.

Nevertheless, I am very glad I had all those years earlier in my career working surrounded by colleagues in an office. For one thing, most of my closest friends today are people I met at work and my life would be bereft without them. Professionally, I cannot imagine having the successes I’ve had in my career without the good counsel and example of the skilled, savvy journalists who were my mentors. A long, dull succession of Zoom calls would not have sufficed.

Then there is office politics. It pays to know the people who have the power to fire you and to have them know you. One’s work does not always speak for itself; sometimes a face-to-face relationship counts for more.

Living life remotely has many rewards, but so does being on a team. Many of the peak hours of my career were spent working alongside other journalists in a newsroom bursting with action as a big story unfolded. Maybe an Amazon office lacks those kinds of exciting moments, but I suspect there are still times when the communal efforts and camaraderie make a drive to work worth it.

So, Amazonians — and all you other folks who have escaped from downtown office towers and are reluctant to return — I get it. Home is where the heart is. But, sometimes, there is nothing like a stimulating day at the office. Besides, where else are you going to make friends?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Yes. Because Amazon wants them in the office for their personal enrichment.

Cool.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I get where Horsey's coming from on this because I work at a job where I quite literally cannot do the actual work at home.

That being said, forcing people back into working at an office if they don't have to is completely asinine.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Kellies Nomination: Most Easily Reinterpreted for opposite reasons

quote:

The "pillow bumpers" jab is nonsensical and sounds more like this guy wants Fido to get mulched in the street than whatever dumbass point he was trying to make.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ajkalan posted:

The "pillow bumpers" jab is nonsensical and sounds more like this guy wants Fido to get mulched in the street than whatever dumbass point he was trying to make.

It's Payne. He does. He fucks the car hot.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Skios posted:

A.F. Branco

This looks like a recycled cartoon from a decade ago where the genie would be labeled "islamic terror" or "isis"

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
So you're saying that despite having no technical authority, social pressure alone is capable of making idiots keep insane, bigoted poo poo to themselves? drat, sounds like it works.

Hey Horsey, do you work in an office?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

What? I don't get this at all

I don't get this one either!

Hang on, what did chick-fil-a do? I thought they were a darling of the right

Has there... been a spate of rainbows in America or something?

It occurs to me that I might be getting literally all my America news from the Late Slow and with the WGA strike having taken it off air, I'm completely out of the loop and these cartoons are lost on me

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Microplastics posted:

Hang on, what did chick-fil-a do? I thought they were a darling of the right
They hired a diversity manager. That's literally it.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I regret to inform you that the chicken has gone woke

https://twitter.com/Esqueer_/status/1663550440880111625

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

wizzardstaff posted:

I regret to inform you that the chicken has gone woke

https://twitter.com/Esqueer_/status/1663550440880111625

Popeye's still has a better sandwich.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

Ben Roberts-Smith defamation case verdict: whistleblowers on Australian war crimes in Afghanistan like David McBride are still facing trial, (as of yet) Roberts-Smith is not.

Rowe:

Moir:

Shakespeare:

Leak, Son of Leak:

edit: Apparently it's from The Australian's letters section: "“It is easy for the armchair moralists sipping lattes in the safety of inner-city suburbs to lecture us on how soldiers should behave".

Leunig:

Trapezium Dave fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jun 3, 2023

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Trapezium Dave posted:

Leak, Son of Leak:

edit: Apparently it's from The Australian's letters section: "“It is easy for the armchair moralists sipping lattes in the safety of inner-city suburbs to lecture us on how soldiers should behave".

quote:

In a summary judgement read out in Sydney on Thursday, Judge Anthony Besanko said that on the balance of probabilities – the evidential standard for a civil trial – “the respondents had established the substantial truth” of several of the allegations, including that in 2012 Roberts-Smith kicked an unarmed and handcuffed Afghan man off a cliff and then ordered two soldiers in his unit to kill the badly injured man.
Besanko found the journalists also established the substantial truth of reports that in 2009 he had murdered a disabled Afghan man, and also ordered the execution of a man who had hidden himself in a tunnel in a bombed-out facility known as Whiskey 108.
So easy for those snobby, privileged elites to look down on a soldier for... kicking a handcuffed civilian off a cliff and murdering unarmed innocents in cold blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

is there an award for *best* A Thing Happened?

And also probably the only non-racist cartoon about the remake.