Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
seriously i have no idea how they think oppenheimer is gunna do anything other than bomb spectacularly. it's at best something to pirate 3 months, not something to pay $25/tix to see

i'd 100% rather watch mission impossible on imax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

really really late to this but what'd everyone think of Crimes of the Future

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
anyways we just watched Polite Society today, which was uh, a story of pakistani sisters living in uk under established cultural norms with bollywoody-styling but then goes off the rails. i have no idea to describe it. i enjoyed it i think.

strong Scott Pilgrim vibes too (in a good way) going off the rails in a Sorry to Bother You vibes (in a good way)

ait should watch it so he can get a wife

Xaris has issued a correction as of 06:46 on Jun 3, 2023

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I dunno, I kinda wanna see the big bomb on the biggest screen.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Xaris posted:

seriously i have no idea how they think oppenheimer is gunna do anything other than bomb spectacularly. it's at best something to pirate 3 months, not something to pay $25/tix to see

i'd 100% rather watch mission impossible on imax.

spoiler alert but i think a spectacular bomb was like the main dude's whole thing. haven't seen the film yet tho...

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Xaris posted:

anyways we just watched Polite Society today, which was uh, a story of pakistani sisters living in uk under established cultural norms with bollywoody-styling but then goes off the rails. i have no idea to describe it. i enjoyed it i think.

strong Scott Pilgrim vibes too (in a good way) going off the rails in a Sorry to Bother You vibes (in a good way)

ait should watch it so he can get a wife

Just on a purely aesthetic level, any film that's a love letter to stunties needs to have good stunt work, and Polite Society does not.

The plot's got some awful plot beats to it as well, like the whole gimmick with the special power move that the main character can't do until she suddenly can at the climax of the film, just really cliched stuff.

The best part is when it heads into sci-fi Odeipus complex territory, but it doesn't go nearly far enough for me.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Like how is this even a controversial statement

It's like saying the sky is blue

Oh it is, but the same people aren't saying the same poo poo about wes anderson or the coens

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it brings me no pleasure to report this but i watched schmigadoon and it's good

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

i say swears online posted:

it brings me no pleasure to report this but i watched schmigadoon and it's good

:hai:

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

The gentrified urge to watch the 3rd Coen brothers movie in one evening

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

saw past lives, new A24 film. it was fine. i cannot really say it was worth watching but nothing really bad about it either.

A korean woman who has lived in the US/Canada since she was 12 is visited by her middle school crush. but she's married to a white new yorker now. the korean guy makes it clear he's there cause he loves her and did the whole time. Nothing sexy or tense happens they just all 3 get pasta and go to a bar and the korean guy goes home. it takes a really long time to get them into the bar which is basically the only great scene

and even then the main character is just so.... empty she doesn't really love either of these men and so the tension diffuses and the movie ends

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

ram dass in hell posted:

spoiler alert but i think a spectacular bomb was like the main dude's whole thing
lol

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

knowing it was a true story of the writer/director made it click tho. almost nobody writes themselves well. look at fablemans.

always just an ambition-less floating head getting drug between scenes making no interesting choices i.e. how we subjectively experience ourselves. Not self righteous or evil and immoral or bursting with desire. just a repository of the actions of others.

never write yourself the main character unless you really hate yourself and can tell that story

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

Whirling posted:

It was a good balance of originality and revisitation of classic Cronenberg, I really enjoyed it, Kristen Stewart is funny and the ending is perf.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Antonymous posted:

knowing it was a true story of the writer/director made it click tho. almost nobody writes themselves well. look at fablemans.

always just an ambition-less floating head getting drug between scenes making no interesting choices i.e. how we subjectively experience ourselves. Not self righteous or evil and immoral or bursting with desire. just a repository of the actions of others.

never write yourself the main character unless you really hate yourself and can tell that story

Wasn't there a whole article years back about every script being a directionless failkid drifting around getting advice from their wacky relatives

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

besides fablemans and the farewell what scripts does that describe

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jaxyon posted:

Oh it is, but the same people aren't saying the same poo poo about wes anderson or the coens

Oh I've never watched anything by either of these people so I can't comment

I think half of Hail Caesar? But it was boring so I turned it off

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I liked Hail Caesar but its probably the worst "starter" coen bros movie I can think of

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
You should watch Fargo or Raising Arizona tho, those are both good introductions to their style

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
definitely those two, but I'd say Big Lebowski is a good one, if only because it's so entrenched in pop culture that it will make some things make more sense.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

indigi posted:

it's bullshit that only got two seasons. they're a fantastic duo

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

loquacius posted:

isn't there a joke on White Lotus about how Ted Lasso is bourgeois white-people entertainment

is White Lotus virtue signaling

if you asked me to name an example of bourgeois white people entertainment i would say white lotus

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Whirling posted:

it's good OP

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Crimes of the Future is a film that has a perfect ending that lives in your head forever after seeing it. I want to eat the the plastic. I want to be free too.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I want to eat the the plastic.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

will give it a watch over the weekend, ty all

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

ArmZ posted:

if you asked me to name an example of bourgeois white people entertainment i would say white lotus

I don't watch white lotus either lol

I did just finish Succession though and welp

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Jaxyon posted:

It's almost like those three things aren't connected in any way

Wes is white as gently caress but you're the only person who has brought him up lately, what's the relevance to the coen brothers? Your own argument against the coens was that you only like three of their movies including the most popular one, why are you now demanding everyone must denounce them to be allowed to dislike Ted Lasso

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Kristen Stewart plays a great weirdo in Crimes of the Future.

I want a breakfaster.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I found White Lotus S1 bizarrely compelling, but the second season didn't do it for me. Banging intro them tho.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

You should watch Fargo or Raising Arizona tho, those are both good introductions to their style

Fargo is probably their best blend of the goofy comedy and pitch black drama they do, so you kinda get the whole experience from one movie. I need to get back to my marathon watching every Coens in order- it's kinda funny to watch their first few and think they could have mostly been known for neo-noir movies

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Whirling posted:

It rules

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

I need to get back to my marathon watching every Coens in order- it's kinda funny to watch their first few and think they could have mostly been known for neo-noir movies

Until Sam Raimi taught them his secret special filmmaking techniques like King Kai

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Watching the Disney Robin Hood again with my daughter. It's still the worst possible interpretation of the story (anti-taxes rather than pro-redistribution; anti-younger-sibling rather than anti-monarchy in general) but has talking animals doing hijinx so it's perfectly acceptable as as a kid's movie. Basically a very long Looney Tunes episode with reactionary subtext

loquacius has issued a correction as of 13:55 on Jun 3, 2023

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Whirling posted:

absolute garbage

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Whirling posted:

Sorry but I don't watch Harry Potter stuff

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

I want to eat the the plastic. I want to be free too.

Many are saying this

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

1stGear posted:

I found White Lotus S1 bizarrely compelling, but the second season didn't do it for me. Banging intro them tho.

agreed

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Xaris posted:

yup. my only regret is i did not go in on edibles because that would have been great. funny enough it was my partner that dragged me to the theater since i wasn't really interested in seeing it yet she loves the original mattier de bretagne text but i expected to be bored; however, fate is a bitch so i fuckin' loved it meanwhile she hated it.

My wife offered to go with me and I told her to stay home because I knew she would hate it, lol. Maybe when she gets on another A24 kick I'll have her watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/DannyVegito/status/1664690380044922882?t=Hum10MYWcgaew4M6cJU1og&s=19