Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Vandar posted:

...what reason is that?

Raidou's uniform is from a not-great time period for Japanese imperialism and certain expanding foreign markets do not like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Endorph posted:

I like how Amagami handles routes/affection with a sphere grid like system where doing certain events unlocks connected events that branch off into each other. Some events involve multiple characters, some involve only one, etc

You could easily adapt this into persona where rather than a flat 10 ranks per character thing theres a sliding scale of affection with benefits at certain breakpoints.
Wait, is that what inspired the Causality Link system in Caligula, with its "sphere grid of sidequests" concept?

Alternate comedy question: is that what inspired the National Focus system in Hearts of Iron 4?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I suggested this before: Just try a new Raidou game set further into the future but not in the direct present, somewhere between the 60s and 90s, so you can still have some degree of retro aesthetics and a lack of cellphones driving parts of the plot while not dealing with all of that.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Devil Summoner and Soul Hackers cover the end of the 20th century, so seeing a 70s or 80s Devil Summoner game could still be fresh territory.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
imo there should be more taisho era games, just also have them be the baddies

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
drat I should really get around to playing Amagami

Snooze Cruise posted:

imo there should be more taisho era games, just also have them be the baddies

Raidou XIV x Sakura Taisen

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Televisio Frankus posted:

All of this talk of social links and dating sims is reminding me of Radiata Stories, and I want a game like it that doesn't suck to play.

So... Radiata Stories

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Radiata Stories unfortunately does suck

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Radiata Stories rules and it's a crime it didn't become a franchise

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Chrono Trigger beat for the first time. Final party was Crono, Ayla and Frog. Their triple tech just stomps on everything. Amazing game, deserves the reputation. It's interesting that despite Square and Enix merging, they never made another game that comes close to being this good

Now to play FF6 and then Chrono Cross, where I understand the happy times with all your friends continue

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jun 3, 2023

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

nrook posted:

I agree with this, but you shouldn’t have control over the process. You should just show up in the dungeon one day to discover Junpei fused all his good personas away for no reason. That’s gameplay.

Giving all my party members mothman and prioritizing friendship on who keeps him.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Just remembered Chained Echoes had a scene where the birdman party-member finds out his entire village committed suicide offscreen. Then the story quickly moves on because who cares?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the not great period for japanese imperialism, as opposed to the great period

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I booted up BoF3 and I forgot that it opens up with you roasting miners alive. Brutal.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The original release of The Last Remnant had a kinda cool and also kinda annoying way for your party to be independent where they largely do their own thing but occasionally ask you for a suggestion on whether to specialize in one aspect or another, and also occasionally ask you for gear you found/crafted or to go look for specific materials so they could upgrade their own poo poo. It became a lot less important when later releases gave you more direct control though, since it was complained about a lot.

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me

icantfindaname posted:

Chrono Trigger beat for the first time. Final party was Crono, Ayla and Frog. Their triple tech just stomps on everything. Amazing game, deserves the reputation. It's interesting that despite Square and Enix merging, they never made another game that comes close to being this good

Now to play FF6 and then Chrono Cross, where I understand the happy times with all your friends continue

May I interest you in The World Ends With You and it's sequel NEO: The World Ends With You which are two very good games in my opinion that SquareEnix decided to forget due to... not being a FF games I guess? Regardless, it's pretty good

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
dont think they forgot them, twewy's ports just couldnt find a way to overcome the problem of shifting its controls off ds and they just bungled neo's marketing pretty hard

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
also square did make a game better than chrono trigger... and it's called final fantasy 8 :twisted:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
it took thirty years but we finally have a game to surpass chrono trigger: bayonetta origins: cereza and the lost demon

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

The Colonel posted:

the not great period for japanese imperialism, as opposed to the great period

to me the great period is when it's not happening

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010

Neeksy posted:

to me the great period is when it's not happening

The only good period is the one ruled by Emperor Neo Heisei.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Started playing Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. It's fun but man oh man am I overthinking all my character leveling stuff for a game that is most likely tuned around just leveling your characters up any which way. The lack of information about what these spells with cool names do doesn't help either.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

I'm playing Lunacid along with Radiant Historia, and so far I'm really enjoying it. Really scratches that King's Field itch that I've had since King's Field IV.

Lunacid has some fantastic spooky exploration vibes... and I really like some of the mobility upgrades you get later on. The way you can engage with the environment changes in some really impressive ways that probably wouldn't have been practical in the era Lunacid is drawing much of its visual style from.

Junpei posted:

I had an idea a while back-and forgive me if I've already said this-for the next Persona game where the 'final dungeon' was unlocked REALLY early, and the final boss's plans are pretty clear early on, but have a really long time limit (in-game, a year). Now, while you could go into the final dungeon on your first post-tutorial day you have available, you'd get creamed, obvs. So, you have a whole year in order to prepare: recruiting new party members by helping them, buffing yourself up socially and magically to unlock more things to do, until you're strong enough to visit the final dungeon, clear it, and beat the final boss on or before that final date.

There was some variations on this idea: sometimes it was "there's a bunch of other, smaller and easier dungeons that unlock at the same time", wasn't sure if beating the dungeon's bosses would make the final boss easier or not. One idea I had was that each dungeon had certain party members that would flat-out refuse to enter because of personal reasons, and the ones that could enter might be stronger or weaker (partially by more enemies being weak to their element, but I had a vague notion of a flat stat bonus/penalty). Another idea I had was every party member sub-plot (that you have to initiate, I don't mean in the whole 'castle is Yukiko's dungeon, then bathhouse is Kanji's, etc.' way, you could do them in any order) had it's own dungeon and beating it would unlock their Second Persona, separate from their social link bonuses.

There definitely would be a unique ending for NG+ for beating the final boss with nothing but the MC and the tutorial-unlocked party member.

I can see some comparisons to the new zeldas and Chrono Trigger, but I do think Persona might be able to do some interesting things with that formula. I would absolutely be down for a Persona that got more overtly political and cribbed heavily from Yakuza: Like A Dragon and Disco Elysium. Build a messy coalition before the evil corporations and cops demolish the kowloon walled city you and the crew call home. Awkwardly map a different cultural mythology on each clique in the city!

You could get some headlines over a game where Capital (in the form of a big mythological dragon, obvs) is a boss you know you need to take down from the start, and you remove phases from the boss fight as you convince more and more people that better futures are possible. And then you could get a bunch of really weird different endings depending on which chapter you were in when you punched Capital into dust, and which groups you brought on board.

... but I don't think Persona is gonna be allowed to take any big swings at this point. It's too big, they don't want to throw out a message that could alienate buyers. This would probably be handled better by a small group of weirdos in a basement who don't have AAA budget hanging over their heads.

Looper posted:

it took thirty years but we finally have a game to surpass chrono trigger: bayonetta origins: cereza and the lost demon

I heard pretty good things about Cereza and the Lost Demon. I was mostly interested in it because the art reminded me of Okami, but the reviews said it gives you a pretty substantial story and some fun puzzle exploration. It's on my list of stuff to try out later, but probably not until I do Chained Echoes and Octopath 2.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Lunacid is amazing but I'm waiting for it to finish, I got really into it like a year ago and then hit the "no more is implemented" wall.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Eh, big money is fine with selling anti-capitalism as long as it makes them money. Even people who hate leftist themes will just rationalize it as "oh, that was BAD capitalism, not the good kind like we have."

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Like, you can literally put "there can be no justice under capitalism" into your game and people still won't get the message if they don't want to.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

That reminded me there's a system in FFTA where you place the locations on the map and it also determines the contents of certain treasures you get or something.

These days you can probably bring up a FAQ that exactly tells what to place where for the most epic loot, but back in the day it felt random as heck.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Clarste posted:

Eh, big money is fine with selling anti-capitalism as long as it makes them money. Even people who hate leftist themes will just rationalize it as "oh, that was BAD capitalism, not the good kind like we have."

This makes me think of, of all things, the Lorax cgi movie where they made a second evil businessman along with the original evil businessman just to make the point clear that it isn't capitalism that's the problem, it's Bad Capitalism.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The only good period is the one ruled by Emperor Neo Heisei.

lmao

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

mycot posted:

This makes me think of, of all things, the Lorax cgi movie where they made a second evil businessman along with the original evil businessman just to make the point clear that it isn't capitalism that's the problem, it's Bad Capitalism.

I mean, they could do that, but they also don't have to because the audience will do it for themselves. But my point is mostly that Persona writers are not beholden to the interests of their capitalist masters, they're just personally kind of conservative.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Clarste posted:

I mean, they could do that, but they also don't have to because the audience will do it for themselves. But my point is mostly that Persona writers are not beholden to the interests of their capitalist masters, they're just personally kind of conservative.

Yeah, though hopefully some of them age out of the role and more writers with less stodgy perspectives might get to do work in that space.

It's actually kind of impressive how strongly Like a Dragon contrasts with Persona 5 as far as sensitivity and understanding goes while writing in a broadly similar sphere of topics.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I'd love another chance to fight Hitler and kill nazis with Persona powers and throwing flowers, though.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Feels like something was lost when the series got big with P3

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Well yeah, the series was written by someone else entirely until that point, and we got Hashino. Like, generally, I get the feeling that Tadashi Satomi did deeper dives in researching psychology, mythmaking, and other subjects than the later writers did.

Neeksy fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 3, 2023

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
making overt political statements is not synonymous with writing quality and it'd be perfectly fine for persona to stay small scale if the games actually had writing worth a drat. the thing that makes old persona stand out is just that tadashi satomi at his worst is still a very distinct character writer, caligula 1 is a messy game that always puts its worst foot forward first but you can get the gist of what he's trying to do with most of it and it does largely pay off okay enough, and despite not having him persona 3 stands out as the best written of the modern games because despite all its flaws it does have a pretty strong thematic core that works to make it feel a more understandable and personal experience.

things start to break down in persona 4 because fundamentally persona 4 just does not understand like. character writing. it's not even a matter of how the writing of different parts of the game interact, even if the arcs of the social links were baked more into the game's standard progression most of them are still sort of terrible because they fundamentally didn't know how to write people very well and even the aspects of the cast that are most detached from any specifically conservative view are sort of uninteresting. i haven't played 5 but i can only imagine it's the same problem there.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
then why did people get attached to the P4 cast if they're all horribly written people? And don't cop out and say "people have bad taste".

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mystery Solving Teens are eternal.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

People just really liked P4A.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
because the basic ideas of their arcs are interesting and have notes that are fairly relatable. persona 4 and 5 strike on a lot of conceptually good ideas and 4 particularly benefits from having like, a really strong atmosphere and solid voice performances, it does a good job easing you into its general vibe in a way where if you're someone who's never played anything like it before, who's drawn in by that atmosphere and that loop, it's not unlikely you'll easily overlook a lot of uh. oddities. persona 4 gets a lot, out of visual presentation and atmosphere, enough so to maybe color your memories until you look back and think wait what the gently caress was with the slutty teacher lady and the fat girl and the entirety of naoto's social link, why did any of that stuff exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Junpei posted:

then why did people get attached to the P4 cast if they're all horribly written people? And don't cop out and say "people have bad taste".

Because they’re so blandly under-written you can project any number of more interesting things on to them and experience no friction from the work itself.