Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Azathoth posted:

it's amazing how much different Jokic looks nowadays

This is what peak male performance looks like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

whichever player euphy says is overrated trash will be finals mvp next year. trust the plan

...oh NOW I understand the calls to trade embiid

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

i love watching jokic just look like a tortoise walking up and down the court and then absolutely dominate. they say to trust the "eye test" but i have no idea what i'm looking at

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
it's a bit of a problem when the most dominant offensive player is not at all exciting to watch. it's like if Aaron Judge or Mike Trout only hit line drive singles to center field

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

indigi posted:

it's a bit of a problem when the most dominant offensive player is not at all exciting to watch. it's like if Aaron Judge or Mike Trout only hit line drive singles to center field

all baseball is boring that sounds the same boring as anything else

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

then it's like if Justin Jefferson only ever got 4 yards on a reception

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Yossarian-22 posted:

i love watching jokic just look like a tortoise walking up and down the court and then absolutely dominate. they say to trust the "eye test" but i have no idea what i'm looking at

Eye test: 🏀 go in 🪣 ✅

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

indigi posted:

if you don’t think Jokic is exciting idk why you hate no look passes

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

I kinda love watching the big fat throw the basketball and it ending up in the right place every time. His threes look so ugly too!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

oh there's definitely an appeal

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

This was a weird looking shot that helped beat the lakers. I didn't expect it to work, and I was more surprised it actually turned out to be a 3-pointer

https://twitter.com/i/status/1660843926104711169

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

jokic is an awesome player bc he puts up ungodly performances where most individual plays look so effortless he seems just like some bumbling uncle.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWm7EXlSfus

RIGHT THROUGH THE WICKET

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

lmfao at THE WICKET

sick as hell though, that #4 defender guy got tricked like a 5 year old at a magic show

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
is Yao Ming a communist?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Brrrmph posted:

is Yao Ming a communist?

He owns a fancy winery in Napa so probably not

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Vox Nihili posted:

He owns a fancy winery in Napa so probably not
communism is when you make nine figures on NBA contracts but don't buy anything with it

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
like the Jay Leno of the nba

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

players like jokic are entertaining in their confoundingness although i will say it might make more sense if you've played against someone along those lines in a sport yourself at some point

i play hockey a lot and most of the top players i go against are like clearly in shape and hit the gym and mountain climb on the weekend or whatever the gently caress

and then every once in a while you play someone who is visibly ... not like that ... and assume you're going to just dance around them and then on your first encounter you realize their stick handling is professional level, their shot is laser accurate and extremely fast, and their reaction/vision are much better than yours. and when that happens it's hard to not feel slightly impressed by how out-finessed you've been, and then also feel stupid lol

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

If you don't find laser accurate no look passes exciting, I don't know what to say. Short of a posterizing power dunk, it's the coolest play in the NBA just on a pure "holy poo poo did you see that" eye test. Like, sitting watching the game and getting fooled on where the ball went, just like the defense, then seeing a replay and going holy poo poo is awesome and you don't gotta be a superfan who knows offensive and defensive schemes to see it.

Jokic's problem from a marketability perspective is that he's not charismatic. It definitely doesn't help that English isn't his first language but contrast him with Giannis, who can't help but ooze charisma even past the language barrier. The problem isn't Jokic's game being unmarketable, it's him personally.

And, to be clear, that's not like, his fault. It's not like he's Barry Bonds and being a surly dick to everyone while also being one of the best players, he's just not a magnetic person.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
not reading either long post above

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

tl;dr Jokic is the best player of all time

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
he’s good at basketball. nothing controversial here unless u are one of the ppl who lets sports cause a psychotic break

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

why would you ever not let that happen?

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Time posted:

not reading either long post above

sorry sorry i'm trying to delete it

i'll keep future posts here below 20 words i promise

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Azathoth posted:

If you don't find laser accurate no look passes exciting, I don't know what to say.

only a subset of inathletic middle aged guys think this is particularly exciting. the worst ankle breaking crossover blows the best no-look pass out of the water in terms of excitement generated among normal people

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

he’s literally to lazy to look

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

indigi posted:

only a subset of inathletic middle aged guys think this is particularly exciting. the worst ankle breaking crossover blows the best no-look pass out of the water in terms of excitement generated among normal people

they’re both cool especially together

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
In honor of the best assist guy ever about to win his nba championship, certain Philly posters with money should “assist” other goons because the fund is Dry and people need to pay rent to their landlords who may or may not be goons https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4027242&perpage=40&noseen=1

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

kingcobweb posted:

In honor of the best assist guy ever about to win his nba championship, certain Philly posters with money should “assist” other goons because the fund is Dry and people need to pay rent to their landlords who may or may not be goons https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4027242&perpage=40&noseen=1
trust the process

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

TenementFunster posted:

trust the process

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

kingcobweb posted:

thanks for sharing. I’m employed again and forgot to resume a dono

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Big game tonight.

Ugly Tony
May 6, 2005

It's not even Tuesday, dog
jokic owns

nuggets own

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Jokic does own

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

the Philadelphia Seventy Nicknurse

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
going to the game tonight :stoked:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

hope it's a fun one for you my good chum

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I've only ever been to one playoff game and it was 2010 NLCS game one where Halladay was nursing a hip injury and lost to Tim Lincecum. it was sad, for me. and tickets were like $400 each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

hope its a close game -_-