Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I tried cleaning my dog's ears and it did not go well. Immediate head shaking when I poured the liquid in, I did the massage and the cotton ball thing that the internet instructions described but nothing came out and I still see some wax in there so I don't think any cleaner actually entered her ear. Should I wait a week before trying again just in case? I heard cleaning too often will just cause irritation so I'd rather be cautious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

After some careful thoughts and some conversations with the kids we’re getting a pup tomorrow. My eldest initially wasn’t keen on the idea as she was still mourning and felt like we were replacing our late dog with a new one and she felt we were disrespecting her that way.

Over the past week she seemed to open up to the idea and we talked about what bothered her. We managed to come up with some things that helped her see the pup as a seperate dog instead of a replacement.

My partner had already contacted a breeder who seemed to be well respected and great for the dog/puppies. Turned out she didn’t want to just sell us a luppy but wanted to learn a little bit about our family. She wanted to get to know us a bit to see if we would be able to provide a forever home instead of treating the dog as a fashion item. She also kept track of all the pups daily weight and on which day they first opened their eyes. Definitely on a completely other level than the breeder we got our first dog from.

Puppy tax

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
That breeder sounds great tbh! Very professional and on the ball, I'm actually a little jealous.

Our breeder seemed very good to us at the time but we've since noticed a few things missing that should have been done before and we overlooked due to the excitement of picking her up after waiting 3 weeks.

We didn't get any of the puppy food she was using before, like we was promised, so she's now got a bit of an upset tummy while she's adjusting to the new food and today I've realised we didn't get told when she was last wormed or had flea treatment so I've had to chase that update and get that all sorted.

(EDIT: worked 3 times so far, last time 2 weeks ago at 6 weeks so she was due when we picked her a few days ago. FFS)

I'm going to be booking her into the vets for her final vaccination in a week as everything is almost up to date but it's not "perfect" and I''m starting to think we may be making a trip before then as she's not pooped today even though she's usually very regular and she has vomited a few times too over the last 4 days (only once a day and nothing excessive btw) after eating really fast.

I'm a little concerned, but her stools are fine when she's gone and she's drinking plenty, she's not lethargic or anything like that but I'd rather be safe than sorry so keeping a very close eye on her right now. We also have one of those indoor grass patches for toilet and she keeps eating the pigging grass so a very good chance that's what's causing her to be sick too.

Sorry, rambling a little now!

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Got her booked in at the vets tomorrow morning to be safe..

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Treatment resistant hookworms loving suck. Has anyone dealt with this?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Treatment resistant hookworms loving suck. Has anyone dealt with this?

I think someone in the greyhound thread has? I seem to remember it being a thing in off the track greys.

Also folks getting pups from breeders make sure you are checking the health testing of your dog's parents. It's not just "they were checked by a vet and looked fine!". There should be genetic and orthopedic testing done in most breeds and a really good breeder will have those results available for the public. This is what my dog's health testing looks like for example: https://ofa.org/advanced-search/?appnum=2225544. If they choose not to submit to OFA they should have a reason and also still be able to show you proof that they've been tested. OFA and the breed's parent club should have a list of all the health testing required for breeding animals of that breed.

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/dog-breeding/signs-of-a-responsible-breeder/

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
gently caress me, spent the whole night in the vets..I'm exhausted. I'm going to rant a little.

So Freya started being sick in a really bad way last night, like 11 times in a row and pooped at the same time. Expelled the whole contents of her stomach so called the vets, had a referral to an on call vet video call thing (it's out of hours on a Sunday, bank holiday weekend) and she said let the vets know, she will send her report over and take her to the vets right away as she was concerned about dehydration.

Called the vets back, their reply was we are very busy right now, observe her for another hour or so and see if she takes any fluids in, if there's any issues call us back... I wasn't happy. At all.

After vomiting so much she obviously did not feel great and was exhausted so she went to her bed and fell asleep pretty quickly. We kept a really close eye on her while she had a quick nap for about an hour then we woke her up to try and get some fluids in her, she immediately vomited again so I called the vets back, a lot more pissed off this time and they still tried to fob me off by saying its extremely busy etc, if you do come down she prob won't get seen till around 3am blah blah blah.

Basically told them I don't care how long it takes or what it costs I want my pup to see someone and they reluctantly agreed, so we picked her up, bundled her into an Uber and had to travel an hour away to the closest place that was open. On the way there she got really limp and lifeless and stopped breathing a couple of times for like 20 seconds and we were absolutely terrified of losing her. She's only been with us a few days she's such an integral part to the family already.

When we got to the vets they made us wait till about 2.30am, keeping in mind my first phone call was at 21.45... but by this time she had really started to perk up thankfully and was almost her usual self. The vet eventually saw her, took her temp, said she's just full of loving gas after all that. She got a shot of anti sickness meds and sent home for a follow up in 48 hours.

Today she's been eating a little, we've been hand feeding her very small amounts and trying to get fluids into her, she wants to drink all the loving water but she drinks it so fast she basically inhales it. We've decided to give her a small amount every 15 mins just to make sure she's super hydrated while not inhaling it and making herself sick again.

Thankfully she's perked right up again and she's wanting to play etc. We're just going to keep this going for the rest of the day before her check up tomorrow.

We've noticed shes also got mucus from her when she pees sometimes which explains why she wants to drink so fast too if she has an UTI. So I'm trying to balance all of that right now and just get through to tomorrow's vets appointment...

I'm really not happy with how unwell she's been since we got her. She was so healthy at 5 weeks when we last saw her prior to picking her up only for her to be so sick the whole time she's been here.

She stinks too as I don't think she's been cleaned before we picked her up, her claws was all massively long and had never been trimmed and she looked underweight to start with too as we could very clearly see her ribs. Thankfully even though she's not been so well, she has started to put weight on but my god I'm so angry and upset about all of this.

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

gently caress me, spent the whole night in the vets..I'm exhausted. I'm going to rant a little.

So sorry you're going through all this, it sounds beyond stressful. I hope Freya continues to perk up and is back to full puppy energy soon.

I'm absolutely not a vet but that level of symptoms isn't what I'd expect from "just full of gas". Is your checkup tomorrow with the same vet as before or was that a separate out-of-hours place?

Given her age and the concerns you're now having about the breeder I'd be worried about her littermates being sick as well. Have you had any contact with the breeder about this?

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I've tried to keep in contact with the breeder as much as possible for that exact reason. She's told me everyone's fine and having no issues and that Freya was fine when she was with her too. So honestly I'm not really sure what to believe but she's been a little sick from her very first meal with us here so it can't have just miraculously started the moment she got home as far as I'm concerned.

She's full of beans this afternoon though, running around like a lunatic and terrorising me and my partner on our zero sleep.

Thankfully my appointment tomorrow is with a different vet. One that comes highly recommended in the area..

Not sure how it works in the states but here there are only a few 24/7 hour vet clinics here in the UK and they fill in for standard vets during out of hours/emergencies. Basically a kind of pet NHS/GP set up.

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

Ahh yeah I'm in the UK too, just had some mixed experiences with the out-of-hours vet as well. (But better than no vet in an emergency.) I hope the appointment tomorrow goes better but definitely sounds good that she's full of pep again :) One way or another, puppies are determined to deprive you of sleep!

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Freya has been given a thumbs up so long as she takes it easy for a few more days thankfully. Need to keep giving her electrolytes for a couple of days and keep an eye on her UTI as they can't treat it right now due to her recent sickness but all in all, so relieved and feeling so much better with the situation.. Hugh sigh of relief there.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

My golden retriever gets all dirty and stinky and greasy at day care sometimes. I have some doggie cologne deodorizing spray that works fine for the smell but he still feels kinda gross even after a good brushing. He haaaates getting a bath-is there like a dry shampoo or some kind of powder I could brush/towel him with occasionally between real baths to help with the greasy feeling? It’s kinda gross when I pet him and can feel som residue on my hand and feel like I need to wash it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
That reminds me: unless it's been very soon after a bath, when I pet my dog, I get some tan crud on my hand. It washes off easily; I always assumed it was dirt. But I pet a white dog today and got a very similar white crud on my hand. My dog is tan colored. Is there some kind of colored oil or dandruff or something that could explain what's going on here?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

My golden retriever gets all dirty and stinky and greasy at day care sometimes. I have some doggie cologne deodorizing spray that works fine for the smell but he still feels kinda gross even after a good brushing. He haaaates getting a bath-is there like a dry shampoo or some kind of powder I could brush/towel him with occasionally between real baths to help with the greasy feeling? It’s kinda gross when I pet him and can feel som residue on my hand and feel like I need to wash it.
Have day care wash him

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

That reminds me: unless it's been very soon after a bath, when I pet my dog, I get some tan crud on my hand. It washes off easily; I always assumed it was dirt. But I pet a white dog today and got a very similar white crud on my hand. My dog is tan colored. Is there some kind of colored oil or dandruff or something that could explain what's going on here?
Actually all dogs are painted

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I used baby wipes which worked ok but nothing could beat a bath. I know exactly what you mean about that day care smell though. It’s pretty gross

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

HootTheOwl posted:

Have day care wash him
When he gets a bath I do usually get them to do it but it’s like $20 and I don’t want to be doing that twice a week. Plus most days he’s fine! It’s just every now and then he gets extra dirty for some reason.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

When he gets a bath I do usually get them to do it but it’s like $20 and I don’t want to be doing that twice a week. Plus most days he’s fine! It’s just every now and then he gets extra dirty for some reason.

Ask them? Maybe there's a slobbery playful other dog yours is keen to interact with that isn't there all days?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I keep finding ticks on Brisket.... is there a comb or bruish you all might recomend?

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Holy poo poo, all this biting is driving me bonkers. I keep redirecting her but nothing is apparently as tasty and appealing as my fingers and forearm.

She did bite my nipple earlier while playing tug, trying to get some of that bitey energy out of her and oh my good god did that hurt.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Holy poo poo, all this biting is driving me bonkers. I keep redirecting her but nothing is apparently as tasty and appealing as my fingers and forearm.

She did bite my nipple earlier while playing tug, trying to get some of that bitey energy out of her and oh my good god did that hurt.
I didn’t find redirecting worked very well with pickwick. I think he thought redirecting was a game-‘bite dad and he’ll play with me!’ What did work was yelling/yipping ‘YEOWCH’ really loud to startle him and then getting up and leaving the room and leaving him alone for a minute. In a given play session, he wouldn’t always get the message the first time but the second time he would and then he would get real sweet and cuddly and apologetic. The nipping totally stopped pretty instantly when he started daycare-idk if it was an age thing or a being tired thing or most likely a playing with real dogs thing where he was told very quickly that biting was NOT appropriate.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

The behaviorist I was working with when we got Kepler legit told us to yelp like a dog when he bites. She said yes, it feels silly, but no other method she's ever tried has worked as well with as many different dogs.

He was never super-bitey with us, but we tried it, and the behavior stopped pretty fast.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
After we take our dog to the park we take a hand towel and wet it with warm water and use that to freshen our pup up. Seems to really help.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll practice my dog yelping. I can't imagine I'm going to sound very authentic but I'm happy to give it a shot!

She seems to be getting a little separation anxiety when I leave her alone with my wife now too, so gonna be working on that before it becomes a full blow problem.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

WhiteHowler posted:

The behaviorist I was working with when we got Kepler legit told us to yelp like a dog when he bites. She said yes, it feels silly, but no other method she's ever tried has worked as well with as many different dogs.

He was never super-bitey with us, but we tried it, and the behavior stopped pretty fast.

To piggy back on this ours said do this and immediately put your hands behind your back.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Yeah the lesson here should be ‘if you bite, I don’t like it and also playtime ends’ the thing puppies want more than anything is playtime. You don’t have to end playtime for very long for them to learn the lesson. I would get up and turn away or go out of the room and close the door for 30 seconds or a minute. Don’t forget to give lots of praise and pets when you’re playing and they DONT bite too. Praise the good behavior, even if the good behavior is as basic as ‘play like a civilized puppydog’

E: it’s also helpful if everyone in the family reacts the same way, and ideally tell any guests who meet the puppy to do the same thing to reinforce is. You want the dog to learn ‘if I bite anyone too hard, they yell and playtime ends’ not ‘if I bite grumpy dad/mom playtime ends but it’s okay to bite anyone else.’

It’s not a bad thing to let them mouth some when they’re young so they learn bite inhibition. Start with only yelping and stopping playtime when it really hurts and then slowly move on to anytime they nip at all.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 2, 2023

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

i cannot express what a relief it is on a cold rainy day, when iris is jumping out of her skin and i'm like "oh no how do i tire you out today", to go to the park and meet a border collie. they do Running, i get to chill, iris finds peace, everybody's happy

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Yeah the lesson here should be ‘if you bite, I don’t like it and also playtime ends’ the thing puppies want more than anything is playtime. You don’t have to end playtime for very long for them to learn the lesson. I would get up and turn away or go out of the room and close the door for 30 seconds or a minute. Don’t forget to give lots of praise and pets when you’re playing and they DONT bite too. Praise the good behavior, even if the good behavior is as basic as ‘play like a civilized puppydog’

E: it’s also helpful if everyone in the family reacts the same way, and ideally tell any guests who meet the puppy to do the same thing to reinforce is. You want the dog to learn ‘if I bite anyone too hard, they yell and playtime ends’ not ‘if I bite grumpy dad/mom playtime ends but it’s okay to bite anyone else.’

It’s not a bad thing to let them mouth some when they’re young so they learn bite inhibition. Start with only yelping and stopping playtime when it really hurts and then slowly move on to anytime they nip at all.

She's not bad at biting appropriate stuff so long as I'm holding the chew toys etc. She just likes to try her luck sometimes and gnaw on my fingers, it's mainly during play time it's an issue.

She's quite fond of trying to chew any stray wires and the sofa too, as you'd expect.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

I had to wear double socks and nothing seemed to work. Worst was when cleaning or emptying the dishwasher or something when I moved around a lot. I guess we weren't as good at following through and maybe switched methods too much. Fortunately it always seems to end by itself in time. There were times when I thought my dog would never stop and be an aggressive dog or whatever.

It's amazing how fast you start thinking about a second puppy and forget the times where you just want to lie down on the floor and cry because nothing seems to help your little landshark that shits all over.

In short, it will be over sooner than you think even if you don't find a micracle method.

My dog Coco to the right and her friend Sally on the left

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Funny enough we was discussing this just yesterday but agreed we just aren't equipped to take another on just yet so fast. We agreed she needs to be at least a year old first.

Speaking of dishwasher though, my god is she so interested in it. She's a chonky 5+kg already and she's going end up breaking the door if she keeps claiming on it. :unsmith:

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Adopting this boy and he's coming home later next week. Still stuck on names.

We think he's some kind of Chiweenie mix

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
gremlin

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Dacap posted:

Adopting this boy and he's coming home later next week. Still stuck on names.

We think he's some kind of Chiweenie mix
reuben

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Gaston

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Biscuit

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Gadget
Widget
Sprocket
Cogsworth

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Bokomoblin but you just say boko

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

WhiteHowler posted:

Adding to this, when I had this problem with my puppy it helped to physically act the part, act like it really hurt and stop playing for a while, hide your face and turn away. She was super into biting until I tried this and she figured it out immediately

E:

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

it's mainly during play time it's an issue.

Yeah that souds very familiar

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jun 6, 2023

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Flesh Forge posted:

Adding to this, when I had this problem with my puppy it helped to physically act the part, act like it really hurt and stop playing for a while, hide your face and turn away. She was super into biting until I tried this and she figured it out immediately

E:

Yeah that souds very familiar
i've been looking at your redtext all these years and this is literally the first time i've ever seen you post about your dog!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I got out of the habit of pet posting and recently that incredible little dog passed away so, y'know. Coping mechanisms, grief and stuff.
e: on a more positive note

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jun 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
What a beautiful smile.