Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I mean it's rough being a climate journalist in Texas, our progressive primary candidates can't even mention the Green New Deal. It's like being anti-coal in Newcastle, yeah if any where is going to be biased towards oil and gas it's going to be the state of Oil and Gas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Sir Tonk posted:

:hmmyes:

Sounds like he doesnt want to do his job

he sees his job as to Poast and his voters seem to agree

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Democratic Pirate posted:

Make it yourself for like $3 of jalapeños, oil, garlic and salt.

Noted

Oil! posted:

:bisonyes:

Seems like Dan Patrick is also taking his anger out on Abbott.

https://www.texastribune.org/2023/05/31/dan-patrick-greg-abbott-tension/

:lol: Oh my god the colors coming out in this wash right now

"So what exactly is it you guys say you do around here"

"We don't really"

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
they really caught the car in that raising sales taxes is a non-starter, income taxes are super duper mega banned every two years leaving only property taxes

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

just expand property taxes to include ALL property like cash and investments and buddy, you got a healthy funding mechanism goin'

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lots of states have personal property taxes

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Lits of states aren't Texas.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Name 49.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

zoux posted:

Texas taxes personal property right now.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

zoux posted:

Name 49.

Puerto Rico. Wait, gently caress.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

They can always try to tax democrats!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

one of my appraisal hearings was for a private jet

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If they tax yachts, those poor yacht-makers-- the backbone of the economy-- would be hosed

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

zoux posted:

First I'm hearing that they were fired

Seems more likely that they just didn't want the smoke/insurance hikes and resigned of their own accord. Guess we'll find out.

Just a follow-up on this since I have more info now. I was talking with a friend who works at Dell Children's, and they were definitely fired.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

LanceHunter posted:

Just a follow-up on this since I have more info now. I was talking with a friend who works at Dell Children's, and they were definitely fired.

Ascension... lie to save face? I'm shocked.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

jokes posted:

The constitution does not allow for differential taxation.

However - Im sure with a petition signed by 50%+1 of the number of people who participate in an election, the state could levy an assessment on Democrats only to pay for border security because of Mexico Joe's open borders policy.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

zoux posted:

Personal Pan Taxes

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Arcella posted:

Personal Pan Taxes

Ain't getting that from reading books.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

loving yikes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdQGWZFtbsQ

Superintendent in north Texas arrested for soliciting an underage girl (who was an undercover officer). Allegedely sent dick pics from his office.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1664770178331099136

We are state #20.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

On Thierry Gay Rage watch:

https://twitter.com/ShawnieT146/status/1664085215961047043

I'm one of those people who writes long posts on Facebook, but I don't think I've seen anyone who has used the long tweet feature who isn't writing the dumbest tweet. For someone who is "being harassed" for "just taking one inconsequential vote", she never shuts the gently caress up about it.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

hell yeah, brother

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Luton can probably just now afford a better stadium dude

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh for fucks sake

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

zoux posted:

Oh for fucks sake

Isn't he primarily/exclusively a civil litigation attorney? Or is he simply the big name attorney on the case, and others at his firm will be doing the legwork?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He may be retained for civil actions arising from the trial, six deputy AGs were moved by the LORD to take a sabbatical to work Paxton's defense in the senate trial. But it's also gonna be a lot of cameras and Tony wants to be in front of em so maybe he strongarmed his way onto that team

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

zoux posted:

He may be retained for civil actions arising from the trial, six deputy AGs were moved by the LORD to take a sabbatical to work Paxton's defense in the senate trial. But it's also gonna be a lot of cameras and Tony wants to be in front of em so maybe he strongarmed his way onto that team

Buzbee has always sought out publicity, this was my take.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Buzbee did do one insanely cool thing which was to purchase an M4A4 Sherman WWII surplus tank and park it outside his house in River Oaks in the most clearly malicious HOA gently caress you of all time and fought them on it for months.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the man is a hero

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

zoux posted:

Buzbee did do one insanely cool thing which was to purchase an M4A4 Sherman WWII surplus tank and park it outside his house in River Oaks in the most clearly malicious HOA gently caress you of all time and fought them on it for months.

I would love to read more details on this!

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

zoux posted:

Not only that, he blew up his friend's car with said tank!

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

jokes posted:

Tax the state, get a recursion loop going.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Charlz Guybon posted:

Enjoy!

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1664831209178890240

v0v

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

zoux posted:

Oh for fucks sake

Just doin' big boy energy, opening my mouth real huge before I step in front of the state houses and courts

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

a bar called austins backyard recently opened in houston. as you might guess from the name, it is an austin-themed bar. my proposal to close the tax gap increase intra-texan comity is to raise that bars property taxes to 100000% until it goes under. thank you your honor.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

lobster shirt posted:

a bar called austins backyard recently opened in houston. as you might guess from the name, it is an austin-themed bar. my proposal to close the tax gap increase intra-texan comity is to raise that bars property taxes to 100000% until it goes under. thank you your honor.

So ruled.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Charlz Guybon posted:

I was all in until I realized the poo poo head parked it on the public street in front of his house and not his own driveway or law

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lobster shirt posted:

2.4 rating on google, $$$$ price listing. seems like they put some real effort into authenticity

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

lobster shirt posted:

First I've heard of this place but goddamn. Could a bar owner be any more tone-deaf?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

i say swears online posted:

2.4 rating on google, $$$$ price listing. seems like they put some real effort into authenticity

lmfao

e:

https://www.chron.com/food/article/austins-backyard-houston-17515286.php

quote:

Despite the mural outside having been repainted, staff T-shirts and a neon welcome sign on the street still reads, "Welcome to Austin in the Heights."

After paying $30 for two vodka sodas, we decided to escape to the mezzanine, perhaps due to an innate 30-something urge to find somewhere to sit down and have a conversation. The mishmash of furniture upstairs didn't feel cohesive or thought-out, until we realized it looked exactly like a student's room curated with a collection of finds from Facebook Marketplace. A row of couches called our names. We walked over to the only one that didn't have a "reserved" sign, and were granted a brief stay before we got kicked off of it by security, who told us it was, in fact, also reserved.

So we perched on the other end of the mezzanine, looking down onto the crowd, which provided some quality people-watching. As we observed interpersonal relationships play out and made up scenarios in our heads, it felt like someone was replaying my early 20s as I watched from above. At 10:58 p.m., a young woman got up on one of the tables and began dancing, before realizing it was not quite yet the vibe. But we didn't stick around long enough to witness that shift.