Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It varies but a lot of fuel pumps are mechanical, powered by a pushrod off the camshaft. If it's mechanical and you don't have pressure you might try blowing out the line(s) and replacing any upstream filter, before ordering a new diaphram

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Hadlock posted:

It varies but a lot of fuel pumps are mechanical, powered by a pushrod off the camshaft. If it's mechanical and you don't have pressure you might try blowing out the line(s) and replacing any upstream filter, before ordering a new diaphram
This one is electrical and in an integrated in-tank unit. This one, I think:
https://waterskis.com/mastercraft-oem-fuel-pump-module-202/

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

gvibes posted:

Zero fuel pressure on ye olde mastercraft ski boat. Not good! Left my multimeter at home so couldn't check to make sure the pump was powered. I'm not even sure where I could test.

gently caress them boats.

Humans aren't the only "intelligent" animals that gently caress with others or kill for no reason.

Killer whales have been known to deliberately attack great white sharks. And dolphins are know to gently caress with porpoises for fun and kill them and poo poo.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Had a very fun maintenance day yesterday where we discovered a bird nesting in our engine vents (by looking in and having a bird fly in our face), and also realizing why disconnecting the backstay when you have your boom and sail rigged and adding weight is a really really bad idea.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

That sounds like fun, oof.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Yeah, the original thought was "disassembling the bimini beams seems like such a pain, let's just take the backstay off and feed it through", which has to be one of the all time worst decisions we've made with this boat.

The bird was just insult to injury.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I use a halyard as temporary support when I’m removing a stay.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDxIx6I89rQ

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

:stare::stare::stare:

:lol::lmao: at the climate change imagery of houseboats catching fire while huddled in (what visually amounts to) a puddle.

Double :lol: since the water has been so low on Lake Powell, nobody has really been using these houseboats, which means thousands of hours of deferred maintenance across that marina.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

I hope MacGyver got out ok :ohdear:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Florida man.jpg

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

:rip:

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I know canoes should be stored upside down resting on the gunwales, but what about in the garage right side hanging by straps wrapped around the hull?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
That's probably the ideal solution if it works for you.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

two_beer_bishes posted:

I know canoes should be stored upside down resting on the gunwales, but what about in the garage right side hanging by straps wrapped around the hull?

Should be fine

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Great, thanks!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Even better when you find your 5 year old nephew somehow crawled up in there and is now playing river captain 8' above the ground

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Kind of neat

https://www.printables.com/model/499752-bayliner-cierra-285-fresh-water-cap

Pretty sure this is a universal thread/diameter. Wouldn't recommend this for gasoline but if printed in ABS would be ok for diesel for a couple of weeks. I think in this case he's using it for the water fill

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Surprisingly, no, they aren't a single thread diameter. That would make my job too easy. :smithicide:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Vampire Panties posted:

:stare::stare::stare:

:lol::lmao: at the climate change imagery of houseboats catching fire while huddled in (what visually amounts to) a puddle.

Double :lol: since the water has been so low on Lake Powell, nobody has really been using these houseboats, which means thousands of hours of deferred maintenance across that marina.

Houseboats are already basically Deferred Maintenance: The Boat.

That marina is basically a bomb on stilts floating tinderbox.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Tell me you’ve never lost your fill cap without telling me you’ve never lost your fill cap.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Fill cap is quite possibly the only thing I've never lost overboard, recovered or otherwise

Edit: that and the rig

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I've lost one, luckily they are not very expensive to replace :v:

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Big Taint posted:

Tell me you’ve never lost your fill cap without telling me you’ve never lost your fill cap.

I lost mine on the side of the road once, but fortunately the road was in front of my house and I was able to recover it when I got back home.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Hadlock posted:

...the only thing I've never lost overboard...
...and the rig

So.. uh... that's not good.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Crew? Spinnaker? Fuel? Yes yes yes

Sunglasses, winches, cushions, lines, shackles hats jackets beer subway sandwiches cigars

All yes

Pretty sure I dropped an emergency tiller overboard at one point

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Hadlock posted:

Crew? Spinnaker? Fuel? Yes yes yes

Sunglasses, winches, cushions, lines, shackles hats jackets beer subway sandwiches cigars

All yes

Pretty sure I dropped an emergency tiller overboard at one point

Objectively missing from this list:
- 6 hats
- my extra pair of wool socks
- my phone

Sorry about your Spinnaker née water anchor :ohdear:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

No worries $450 later at the sail maker and it was good as new

I literally have a leather bound book with "things <seaborneClink> has dropped overboard" laser engraved on the cover at home I can't find it right now still unpacking. So far the first three pages are full IIRC

Edit: I don't think I've dropped a deck of playing cards overboard yet

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jun 8, 2023

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Did you drop the notebook overboard?

A couple months ago I dropped my VHF overboard while we were trying to dodge a rain storm. Fortunately it floats and we were already motoring, so retrieving it was easy

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
Thoughts on a Bayfield 29 as a first boat? I'm pretty sure I've read every written word that exists online but always appreciate goonpinions. Seems like a perfectly stable and unremarkable lil' ship.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

What sort of sailing experience do you have?

Personally for me 29' feels on the large side but maybe reasonable for a first boat, but I'd personally be looking for a sloop vs a cutter just for simplicity's sake if I was completely green.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
Some outings with friends who sail and a four day ASA 101/103-equivalent course on a Catalina 27. Plus other education here and there (Canadian PCOC course, ROC(M) course). So...not a lot! But I'm dedicated and generally know what I'm doing.

I've also wondered about the cutter being appropriate, but despite the extra lines hanging around it offers a nice advantage in not having to gently caress around with different foresails to deal with changing conditions, which is a nice plus when sailing solo/with a wife.

CmdrSmirnoff fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jun 9, 2023

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Are you on the great lakes? I feel like everyone here just uses a furling genoa and calls it a day. I don't think there's a single hank-on foresail in my marina.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Thoughts on a Bayfield 29 as a first boat? I'm pretty sure I've read every written word that exists online but always appreciate goonpinions. Seems like a perfectly stable and unremarkable lil' ship.

What is your sailing experience? How many sailboat owners do you know you can call for advice when something breaks?

I agree that's a bit on the large size for a first timer

What kinds of trips do you want to do on it, first year, second year, dream/stretch trip?

That's a lot of boat with not much cockpit size, moderately adequate interior size. Very poor upwind performance due to full keel. I'd be looking at that if I was going to anchor out on three day weekends and do at least one week long trip every year

I would look at a 25 or 27' boat as a first timer. Parts, maintenance, wind loads etc will be half that of the 30' class boat you're looking at

If you have a wife or girlfriend that's enthusiastic about boating but scared of it tipping over, that's a great boat looks very stable probably hardly rocks at all

I'll say it again, that boat has a tiny tiny cockpit. It sacrifices tons of cockpit room in favor of more stabbin' cabin down below. I bet you would have trouble running even a single margarita blender up top. If your plan is to have three couples on board for a summer afternoon cruise it's gonna be a very tight fit, especially if the wind picks up. This image says it all about the cockpit:

Edit; first rule of judging a cockpit is: can you lay down flat in it without weird compromises

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 8, 2023

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Obviously the solution is to go just a tad bigger. :v:

https://www.nautorswan.com/yachts/models/swan120/

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Arguably the best boat on the market is the J/70 IMO

1) cabin can hold a cooler of beer + single marg blender
2) v-berth you can gently caress in (pretty drat important)
3) cockpit you can gently caress in (for when the wind and beer run out, the cooler isn't that big)
4) you can trailer is with a Honda Accord
5) you can trailer launch it in any lake with a Honda Accord
6) it's a keel boat so no worries about capsizing
7) cabin area is big enough to pee in a bucket in private
8) fits on a trailer, park it in your driveway for free

j/22 is a pretty good boat if you can find one that hasn't been abused, or, has already been recored where it's got soft spots

j/27 is widely considered one of the great midsize boats and trade at a premium

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
Trailering isn't a thing for me since I don't have a driveway, but saving some ducats on mooring and wintering is always welcome.

quote:

What kinds of trips do you want to do on it, first year, second year, dream/stretch trip?

First year or two just trips around Lake Ontario, eventually as far as Niagara and Kingston. Maybe dipping into Erie. Taking friends and family for a day sail and maybe a game of D&D. In a decade I'd get a different boat for ocean stuff (that the wife won't be joining me for so I wanna get good at soloing). It's gotta be comfortable enough to nap in/on, at least.

I have nothing against smaller boats but everything that catches my eye at a decent price point has been in the 30ish range and built in the 70s/early 80s.

Hockenheim
Oct 20, 2022

by VG
Suggesting a J70 is good for anything but spending a lot of money on (bad) OD racing is bold.

A J22 however, is a reasonable suggestion.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Trailering isn't a thing for me since I don't have a driveway, but saving some ducats on mooring and wintering is always welcome.

First year or two just trips around Lake Ontario, eventually as far as Niagara and Kingston. Maybe dipping into Erie. Taking friends and family for a day sail and maybe a game of D&D. In a decade I'd get a different boat for ocean stuff (that the wife won't be joining me for so I wanna get good at soloing). It's gotta be comfortable enough to nap in/on, at least.

I have nothing against smaller boats but everything that catches my eye at a decent price point has been in the 30ish range and built in the 70s/early 80s.

There's a bunch of early 80's 27' boats that would meet those criteria fine (C&C, CS, Mirage are all great boats that are a good balance of solid handling and performance). I have a Mirage 27 in the same lake as you and we can have 2 couples on it comfortably enough, or my kids for a family outing. Done a few overnights and would be comfortable taking it anywhere in Lake Ontario. Sleeps the family fine (4 people), if my kids weren't kids it would be starting to get on the uncomfortable side (one settee is fine for a bed but the other one is on the small side). At 27' you're still typically going to have a proper head, and a very basic galley (alcohol stove, icebox and sink usually).

C&C specifically has an advantage on Lake Ontario in that you can still reasonably source parts from NOTL, which is rare for an early 80's production boat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

My first sailboat was a lancer 27 and it wasn't too much for me :shrug: ymmv

It had a queen sized berth aft and a v berth with a drop down leaf that made it nearly queen sized as well.