Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Deathlove posted:

The Kirkland Tums are really Bad. This is so disappointing.

Was about to cop these. Now...shan't.

Same for the cheese isle but I do fail on occasion. Love the stinky Harbison cheese they sell.

:69snypa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Dick Fontaine posted:

Double Costco day is only cool when it involves two separate Costcos.

i've done this and it's a lot less exciting when the item you want is sold out in both places

for people lucky enough, a business + regular costco double trip is ... well, i hope you have a lot of trunk space

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

Sushi fish is usually always hard frozen.

nahhh mate.

I get what you mean like if you go to an asian market that has hard-marked sushi fish that poo poo is frozen. I feel you.

But 99% of fish is frozen fish that they just let become not-frozen... recently.

Until about 6 months ago I used to live inside of a harbor neighborhood in CA and we would be able to source fresh off the boat bluefin tuna for sushi nights. God that owned, there is nothing like never-frozen fish, and particularly never-frozen bluefin, but you need to be a little careful with the parasites (I've never seen one, and you would know since you're slicing the meat thin, but I would never in a million years eat fresh-sourced salmon for example).

The reality about fish at a store is unless you source that poo poo it's just frozen fish that was unfrozen like... that day or a day ago. I've made literally hundreds of pounds of sushi for house parties, for my wife and I, etc. and we've never felt off about Costco tuna or salmon. The salmon is farmed, but you actually want that; farmed salmon is buttery fatty and delightful.

Also most or all of the tuna that Costco sources is actually quasi-sustainable. It's the expensive poo poo like bluefin that'll get you in trouble with the good lord himself.

Anyways my extremely unclear point is that costco salmon and tuna is good for sushi. But ideally you should learn how to source high quality fish; about 25% of the total fish at costco is "really good" and there are many days we just say "this isn't good, we aren't buying any, and definitely not for sushi purposes". That will take some hard experience though and you will not always pick good fish, it's a learning process like anything worth doing. The upside is even if you take home less than ideal fish, that's fine, just cook it and forget sushi.

Oh also places will straight up loving lie and say there fish is NOT pre-frozen but unless you see that poo poo come in on a boat I'm calling BS so be careful there too.

e: God I'm like the thread Costco sushi guy at this point what has my life become

Taima fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jun 3, 2023

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Taima posted:

God I'm like the thread Costco sushi guy at this point what has my life become

time to make the hajj

Psion posted:

for people lucky enough, a business + regular costco double trip is ... well, i hope you have a lot of trunk space

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Taima posted:

nahhh mate.

I get what you mean like if you go to an asian market that has hard-marked sushi fish that poo poo is frozen. I feel you.

But 99% of fish is frozen fish that they just let become not-frozen... recently.

Until about 6 months ago I used to live inside of a harbor neighborhood in CA and we would be able to source fresh off the boat bluefin tuna for sushi nights. God that owned, there is nothing like never-frozen fish, and particularly never-frozen bluefin, but you need to be a little careful with the parasites (I've never seen one, and you would know since you're slicing the meat thin, but I would never in a million years eat fresh-sourced salmon for example).

The reality about fish at a store is unless you source that poo poo it's just frozen fish that was unfrozen like... that day or a day ago. I've made literally hundreds of pounds of sushi for house parties, for my wife and I, etc. and we've never felt off about Costco tuna or salmon. The salmon is farmed, but you actually want that; farmed salmon is buttery fatty and delightful.

Also most or all of the tuna that Costco sources is actually quasi-sustainable. It's the expensive poo poo like bluefin that'll get you in trouble with the good lord himself.

Anyways my extremely unclear point is that costco salmon and tuna is good for sushi. But ideally you should learn how to source high quality fish; about 25% of the total fish at costco is "really good" and there are many days we just say "this isn't good, we aren't buying any, and definitely not for sushi purposes". That will take some hard experience though and you will not always pick good fish, it's a learning process like anything worth doing. The upside is even if you take home less than ideal fish, that's fine, just cook it and forget sushi.

Oh also places will straight up loving lie and say there fish is NOT pre-frozen but unless you see that poo poo come in on a boat I'm calling BS so be careful there too.

e: God I'm like the thread Costco sushi guy at this point what has my life become

Also the stuff that comes in directly from a boat is almost always frozen too. They freeze it on the boat so they don't have to dayboat fish for deep sea creatures

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

BigHead posted:

Hit Costco today to get the kitty cat prescription and they had orange creamcicle almond things on sample. They were divine and I snagged a big ol' bag. Also got the frozen blueberries and mangos for smoothies and a giant thing of coffee. Great trip A+. We also went to a korean restaurant yesterday so now kimchi is on the front of our brains. You guys know where I can get some?

jongga kimchi that costco has sometimes is legit, but sadly I dont trust costco for asian food

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

halokiller posted:

jongga kimchi that costco has sometimes is legit, but sadly I dont trust costco for asian food

☝️☝️☝️
Look for the one with two "g"s

Heffer
May 1, 2003

A Costco enjoyer Instagram account just posted photos of a rainbow cake with zero mention of Pride, and already the comments are a cess pool. I shouldn't be surprised by people on the Internet anymore, but still.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CtB9ko2MoGD

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Cool thanks for bringing this important drama to the Costco thread

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Yeah Instagram and "influencers" do suck a lot

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013
Re: Cart Chat

I know this will never happen but it would be nice if Church had some of the small sized carts like some grocery stores. I usually only buy 5 things or less, which I toss in to an empty box to carry them around. It would be a ton easier if I had a small cart to throw it all in.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Picked up the Robert Irvine protein bars as a change of pace from my usual quick breakfast stuff. They're good!

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

iroc.dis posted:

I know this will never happen but it would be nice if Church had some of the small sized carts like some grocery stores. I usually only buy 5 things or less, which I toss in to an empty box to carry them around. It would be a ton easier if I had a small cart to throw it all in.

I think that's against Costco rules, you have to exit with $100 or more in goods. :mods:

Also I went today and couldn't locate any lemon meringue cheesecake at my church. Just some raspberry cupcakes that looked meh.

But I did pick up some shrimp cheek snacks.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
My dream job is cart boy at Costco.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Alucard posted:

I think that's against Costco rules, you have to exit with $100 or more in goods. :mods:

Everything is at least $20, so $100 is just 5 things. These days I'm happy when my wife tells me she only spent $400 on food and things.

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013

binge crotching posted:

Everything is at least $20, so $100 is just 5 things. These days I'm happy when my wife tells me she only spent $400 on food and things.

I really only grab a handful of the same things each time. Lotion and eye drops for my wife, occasionally butter and flour for my wife's baking, occasionally contact solution for me, veggie tray for the both of us. I usually spend more on liquor at Church than I spend on regular stuff.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

iroc.dis posted:

I really only grab a handful of the same things each time. Lotion and eye drops for my wife, occasionally butter and flour for my wife's baking, occasionally contact solution for me, veggie tray for the both of us. I usually spend more on liquor at Church than I spend on regular stuff.

That's me except with nicotine products instead of liquor.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

iroc.dis posted:

people who go in without a cart are bold, but don't be like the guy I saw who tried it, bought a huge box of ziploc bags on top of their 'usual order' and staggered down the aisle barely able to hold his stuff

last time I went was a wild rear end trip in terms of 'abandoning your cart in the worst possible spot' and then I saw that guy and it was just the icing on the costco adventure cake

Alucard posted:

Also I went today and couldn't locate any lemon meringue cheesecake at my church. Just some raspberry cupcakes that looked meh.

I had the lemon version of those months back (10 months is still, technically, months :negative: ) and they were pretty good. They could be decent, depends entirely on how well they did the raspberry part. I'll let someone else find out first though.

Psion fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 3, 2023

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013

Psion posted:

people who go in without a cart are bold, but don't be like the guy I saw who tried it, bought a huge box of ziploc bags on top of their 'usual order' and staggered down the aisle barely able to hold his stuff

I bee-line it straight for the area in the back that has a bunch of empty boxes. Grab one of those then grab the stuff I need and go straight to self check-out. I'm usually in and out in 20min or less. It's a pretty good strategy.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

iroc.dis posted:

I bee-line it straight for the area in the back that has a bunch of empty boxes. Grab one of those then grab the stuff I need and go straight to self check-out. I'm usually in and out in 20min or less. It's a pretty good strategy.

Mine has them in the front, but that is a really good idea that would never have occurred to me. Thanks!

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

iroc.dis posted:

I miss the days when all I'd grab at Costco was a case or two of beer and I could be in and out in less than 5 minutes. Just toss one under each arm and go through self checkout.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Went to Costco, made a return for $63... Then I picked up a few things I needed, and a few things I didn't need... For $62

Left Costco with a dollar more than I started with, I'd call that a victory....

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Should have gone out with 50 cents less and had a dog and soda. That'd be a true victory

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Psion posted:

ive been this guy more than once. go in for one thing, but ooh this looks good, and dang that is on sale, poo poo now i have 4 or 5 items and they don't stack very well and i need to put on a brave face and pretend like it's totally fine

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Went to Costco, made a return for $63... Then I picked up a few things I needed, and a few things I didn't need... For $62

Left Costco with a dollar more than I started with, I'd call that a victory....

this is a failure in hot doggin'

e: ^^^ yea what that guy said

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
Can't stop/won't stop eating the tropical fields dried mango slices. PBUC.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Chinatown posted:

going tomorrow. usually avoid the bread area but will check deez out tyvm.

Yup. Having munched a couple, they really do need some heat. Straight from the bag, they're very dry. Slap some mayo or fry them in bacon grease or just put one in the toaster and they come to life. Good flavor and better texture.

Made an egg sandwich this morning and it was boss.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
those "artisan" rolls are the thin square ones with the airy texture, right?

they're pretty good, but they really don't last long. gotta eat 'em in a couple days or they'll go moldy pretty quick.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Shalhavet posted:

Can't stop/won't stop eating the tropical fields dried mango slices. PBUC.

I had to stop eating these because they’re chemical warfare lol

The hatch chiles are finally in stock and I tried them for the first time and they’re hella good on like everything

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

iroc.dis posted:

empty boxes

:sickos:

this is what i did in honolulu when i had to go way more often

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Raluek posted:

those "artisan" rolls are the thin square ones with the airy texture, right?

they're pretty good, but they really don't last long. gotta eat 'em in a couple days or they'll go moldy pretty quick.

Freezer works pretty well too

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Just got a 32 oz tub of queso for $0.97

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Alucard posted:

Freezer works pretty well too

Yeah, I don't think anything in the bakery section has preservatives. It's freeze or finish within 3 days or risk the moldy bite.

It's fine with me. I can pop a roll right in the toaster from the freezer and don't taste any difference.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
These almond flour raw tortillas are not great. Solid C, C-. Going to stick with the regular flour raw tortillas that are 80 for $8.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
E nm

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Heffer posted:

A Costco enjoyer Instagram account just posted photos of a rainbow cake with zero mention of Pride, and already the comments are a cess pool. I shouldn't be surprised by people on the Internet anymore, but still.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CtB9ko2MoGD

What’s up with your avatar friend? I understand the Kelly reference but I’m lost on the other one.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

BigHead posted:

These almond flour raw tortillas are not great. Solid C, C-. Going to stick with the regular flour raw tortillas that are 80 for $8.

Flour, not corn?

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Only a fool buys corn tortillas when you can buy masa

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
completely shocked that *squints* -almond flour- makes terrible tortillas. who knew!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'd rather just not eat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Almond Flour is for making Macarons and little else.