Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Snack? What is he doing, raising crocodiles?

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

:lol:

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

That panel 4 Mark. Holy poo poo.

It's just a never-ending cycle of Cricket Bro -> Mark's Dad stories, isn't it? Creatively dead from uh... the first year. Ouch.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Pooch Café 1957

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

~Coxy posted:

Pooch Café 1957

Oh, thank you! I needed my day ruined.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Mary Worth would never show us a man eating a dog, surely.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

don Jaime posted:

Oh, thank you! I needed my day ruined.

If it helps, Belka and Strelka had a much happier story. :unsmith:

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

This Beakman's World reboot looks a little grim.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Half a load to drop off tonight. :shrug:

Toonerville Folks (March 31-April 2, 1921)

Little Lefty (August 10-13, 1938 (the Worker didn't run a strip for the 8th or 9th that week))

It's been awhile since we've brought him up, so it's worth mentioning that Daily Worker sports editor Lester Rodney was the one who brought the paper (and the CPUSA) around to the idea that sports coverage was more than bread-and-circuses and could have a genuine social impact. On that point, he was one of the key sports writers (and definitely one of the earliest) who backed desegregation in Major League Baseball. He didn't seem to get the teeth of the McCarthy era as much as other Worker/CPUSA-connected writers: "They didn’t go after me, because I was right out in the open. Many of my friends went down, but I wasn’t a screenwriter using another name. As a baseball writer, they didn’t go after me and probably didn’t think of me as a serious Communist. They would kid around it jovially, say things like, ‘Hey, does Marx follow the box scores?’ Writing about baseball wasn’t perceived as doing politics. They didn’t see me as a threat."

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

~Coxy posted:

Pooch Café 1957

It wasn't all bad...they named a brand of cigarettes after her.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
The Diary of Ma-Chan

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm never really confident I'm reading these comics the way they were intended. To me, the joke is plainly on the parents for assuming their highschooler intern would have some genuine responsibility at the company as opposed to being the company's pet teenager for a few weeks. But what are the odds that later comics will keep to that?

Earlier comics did have him do some relative responsibility (it sent his dad for a loop when he tried to explain all the specifics) at the company he's interning.

The joke is pretty straightforward, though: Jeremy got a cute award, she was proud on the initial assumption that of likely several interns he got recognized as the best (because she's Mom and she thinks its cute that her baby got recognized), but then she remembered wait he's the only intern. THen he finishes the joke out at it being a self-evaluation

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Fingerpori

Maalais- = rural-, countryside-
Hyytelö = jelly
Maalaishyytelö = head cheese/meat jelly, literally "country jelly". I hadn't heard this term before, in my experience head cheese is usually called "aladobi" here.
I decided to use "farmer" instead of "country" to get the joke across better.

ANSU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Giant Ethicist posted:

Bardiche Hotel

You are like a little baby

Watch

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

:sbahj: this comic

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jun 3, 2023

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1980 comics

the joke is that MEN are HORNY and HATE THEIR WIVES.

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Legends in the Heights

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

That's...not how knuckleballs work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbUhjWVU1pg

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Selachian posted:

Archie 6/23-25/47
But anyway, you may be casting your eyes over the middle strip and wondering what the hell. I did a little digging and it looks like Bob must have read this article from the May 5, 1947, Life magazine:

As with every other "lookit what those weird kids today are up to, Gertrude" article in the history of print media, it is not clear how much of this is stuff that hep kids in 1947 were actually doing and saying, and how much was made up by the author (or made up by the kids, to screw with the author).
So god damned funny; the comic was great but the background information you provided makes it 10x more so!

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (June 30, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

I was going to say -7 is that cold but then I remembered this is an American strip.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Or if you are scared/confused by Finnish onomatopoeia for peeing and farting...

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Haifisch posted:

The Lockhorns

So I guess the cameraman is standing at one team's blue line? And the goalie is holding his stick with his trapper? And his blocker only covers his forearm and part of his upper arm but not his hand? And the skater forgot his gloves and is wearing a short sleeved shirt for some reason? Possibly because he's some kind of jester who accidentally wandered onto the ice and is now confused?

Good lord, at least put in some effort, guy.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jul. 28, 1957)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Jul. 28, 1957)

Black Beauty Ⅱis shaping up to be a real treat.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

I love how there are characters in this comic that have so much more to prove than the supposed protagonist. I love this pitcher. Hell yeah dude gently caress em up.

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack

It's always a good sign when your partner has absolutely no interests of their own, right?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Pancho Jueves posted:

It's always a good sign when your partner has absolutely no interests of their own, right?

As someone who often has a hard time advocating for his own self interests, the extreme smirking passivity that appears in Holbrook’s comics absolutely kills me.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 6/2/03

Brenda Starr 2/5-7/51

Smokey Stover 1/9/55

Everyday Movies 6/22/36

"I won't go up and start yelling at him to either pay his rent or get out until all the roomers are home. It'll serve as a warning to them."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 8/4-6/41

Stamm is cheating a little here -- if you look back at last week's strips, the real Floggin was wearing a dark vest and no jacket, and now they're dressed identically.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Scarlet rules. :allears:

Jucika "56 - Jucika as a Guardian Angel"

Jucika rules. :allears:

"57 - Jucika Interprets"

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Captain Kirk got into fistfights with his double so many times that I can't help but have the Star Trek fight music run through my head here.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr 2/5-7/51

I don't tend to read Brenda Starr but I'm invested in this baby and her storyline. All she wants to wear is a hat, she was born with teeth in her mouth already, she punches and bites everyone, her parents are a dandy and a butch, I wish her nothing but the best in life.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Selachian posted:

Get Fuzzy 6/2/03

The 2003 Red Sox will break your heart Rob.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Powered Descent posted:

Captain Kirk got into fistfights with his double so many times that I can't help but have the Star Trek fight music run through my head here.

Scarlet just needs to say, "Queens to queens level three" and see which Floggin knows the countersign.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 3, 2023

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Could be a dogfighting ring. Use the weiner dog to get the fighting dog used to hurting/killing poo poo before you pit against something that can fight back. Apparently called "bait dogs"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_fighting#Bait_animals

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (June 5, 1976)

The comments actually help us out today: "Finley owned the A’s at this point, and was in the process of selling off most of the players who had been on the World Series champions from 1972-74."

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (in which we're still rolling our own going into January 3, 1940)

Out Our Way (December 18-20, 1941, spoilered for Ick issues)

tfw your mouth gets ahead of your head.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 3, 2023

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Oh, COME ON. Is this a rerun, or are we really going to do this again for the second time in just a matter of months?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

You asked Jackie, you didn't ask her. The whole POINT was assuming decisions for people while trying to do right by them. Stop messing this up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Bruceski posted:

You asked Jackie, you didn't ask her. The whole POINT was assuming decisions for people while trying to do right by them. Stop messing this up!

oh who gives a gently caress about that hateful old bitch anyway