Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I have been staring at this bike for like 3 years still debating if I should get it.

Mainly since I am in a car centric city, it would be unsafe as hell to ride.

https://www.amsterdam-bicycle.com/shop/bicycles/azor-texel-gents-dutch-bike-for-heavy-riders/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Third World Reagan posted:

I have been staring at this bike for like 3 years still debating if I should get it.

https://www.amsterdam-bicycle.com/shop/bicycles/azor-texel-gents-dutch-bike-for-heavy-riders/

feels highly irresponsible to make a heavy load bike and coaster brake it

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

cowboy beepboop posted:

idk most rural towns built before the car age are pretty walkable and livable. eventually the towns will run out of money to keep their exurbs up-kept and I assume people will move back into the closest town center if they can. I guess the odd hermit living in a cabin in the woods picking up supplies once a month in their truck is no huge issue

I'm not talking about people getting to housing really but to work, a thing that happens in the country, often in very scattered locations. It's more efficient I think to have people living closer to some of those places but it is at least flexible.

Suck a Dick No Homo
Apr 22, 2008

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

I just watched this episode of Home Improvement. The 'third place' hardware store is closing down, so the main character ends up buying it and realizing that everybody just goes to Big Box stores for their stuff, and really the store is failing because main characters are not nice enough to off set the prices.

As opposed to our current understanding that car culture is the main problem.

https://homeimprovement.fandom.com/wiki/A_Hardware_Habit_to_Break

Just kind of realized it. Home Improvement is the most Car Brained sitcom of all time.

There is even a part with a right wing militia guy talking about buying weapons.
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5vniho

At first I just wanted to chuckle that this Home Improvement episode is directed by a guy named Peter Bonerz but to go full circle Peter Bonerz was in a movie called Medium Cool about a TV cameraman who records car accidents.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Grassy Knowles posted:

Made for low speeds on totally flat terrain lol

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Weka posted:

I'm not talking about people getting to housing really but to work, a thing that happens in the country, often in very scattered locations. It's more efficient I think to have people living closer to some of those places but it is at least flexible.

In Europe, it is pretty common to have regional rail service as well as decent local transit service to even small towns. The US itself had it at one point, it just got rid of it in favor of cars. Not that much of the US population actually lives far away from any form of civilization.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

cowboy beepboop posted:

idk most rural towns built before the car age are pretty walkable and livable. eventually the towns will run out of money to keep their exurbs up-kept and I assume people will move back into the closest town center if they can. I guess the odd hermit living in a cabin in the woods picking up supplies once a month in their truck is no huge issue

I grew up in a town like this, the model for these rural towns was a walkable cluster of services and residences around whatever industry brought the town into existence to begin with, and rail links to other nearby towns that eventually ran to larger population centers.

The form of rural living we’re familiar with today, where each man is the lord of a large body of unproductive land and your neighbors are too close if you can see their lights at night, is entirely a product of the automobile era.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah I've lived in some pretty rural areas where everyone is spaced way out but if you know where to look you can find some really, really old run down communities where the houses are oddly close together in a grid layout around something like a mill or a grain silo. Just little walk-able ghost towns with one church and a derelict little post office in the middle of nowhere.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
My home in southern new England was built in 1760 and didn't have visible neighbors until the 1980s when the final farmer was too old to farm and sold all the fields to a developer.

Until then tho that land was absolutely productive and provided 200 years of subsistence farming for the people that lived and labored here.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

McCracAttack posted:

Yeah I've lived in some pretty rural areas where everyone is spaced way out but if you know where to look you can find some really, really old run down communities where the houses are oddly close together in a grid layout around something like a mill or a grain silo. Just little walk-able ghost towns with one church and a derelict little post office in the middle of nowhere.
An older relative that I knew as a small child ran the post office and general store in a place like this. It had a silo and adjoining railroad siding and serviced maybe a 10 mile radius. The RR pulled out and that killed it a few years after. Luckily he was going to retire anyway.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
A lot of those middle nowhere towns in the US were set up by rail road companies, and they die when the railroad stop running service.

mystes
May 31, 2006

https://v.redd.it/95q7fjjksp3b1/DASH_720.mp4

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Grassy Knowles posted:

it is from amsterdam

and you can upgrade the brake on the page

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

It's like that south park episode

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Please don't post autoplaying videos of cars being seriously injured tyvm

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

that's so expensive for what amounts to a heavy rear end bike. They also sell a "lightweight" bike on their website at just under 34 lbs.

A while ago I bought a '70s bottom of the line heavy rear end steel bike for $70 and that thing is bulletproof. just carried a 60 lb bag of mortar mix back home from the hardware store today.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Get the bike, it's super cool to have a bike. You can start riding it during off hours or out in the countryside and gradually move towards commuting in a sane way.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

yeah do what you want, I'm just cheap as hell for some things

mystes
May 31, 2006

That bike seems really expensive for what it is

I would say either get a much cheaper single speed bike or if you want to spend that much on a practical bike for urban use get one with an igh or something

Or just get literally any cheap used bike that works

mystes has issued a correction as of 20:41 on Jun 3, 2023

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I love that there are so many different kinds of bikes.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I love that there are so many different kinds of bikes.

wait until you see all the different cars out there!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I hate all the different kinds of cars.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

so much for the tolerant left

go for a stroll
Sep 10, 2003

you'll never make it out alive

Pillbug
someone mentioned acura and i remembered being pissed they stopped making the integra right when i had enough money to think about a newish car

then i saw they brought it back and was fuckin pumped until i saw it looks the same as every other kia hyundai ford halfway-crossover with postage stamp windows and i'm furious again. I've probably seen 100 and not known it.

if we have to have these horrible things and they can't look cool let's literally just have 3 models that say car or truck or van on the side in ITC Lubalin Graph

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

go for a stroll posted:

someone mentioned acura and i remembered being pissed they stopped making the integra right when i had enough money to think about a newish car

then i saw they brought it back and was fuckin pumped until i saw it looks the same as every other kia hyundai ford halfway-crossover with postage stamp windows and i'm furious again. I've probably seen 100 and not known it.

if we have to have these horrible things and they can't look cool let's literally just have 3 models that say car or truck or van on the side in ITC Lubalin Graph

A coworker has an integra type r that he bought brand new and still has despite being stolen 3 times lol

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

500excf type r posted:

A coworker has an integra type r that he bought brand new and still has despite being stolen 3 times lol

drat, they keep bringing it back not even thieves like cars

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I bought 300 dollar 7 speed beach cruiser that seems ultimately more functional

Unless you are buying because you are a larger rider, I think you could find equivalent joy in a cheaper bicycle

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Jestery posted:

I bought 300 dollar 7 speed beach cruiser that seems ultimately more functional

Unless you are buying because you are a larger rider, I think you could find equivalent joy in a cheaper bicycle

you seem to be mistaken; it’s from amsterdam it can’t be overpriced and underperformative

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

That's an absolute ripoff. Cheers :cheerdoge:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i saw a Rivian irl today, god drat those are goofy looking

*philip banks busts in the door*

RIVIAN!!!!

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Get it if you want. If you're paying that much you could get an electric assist bike, and that may help a lot in a car centric city where everything is further apart.

There's this British bicycle YouTube channel I watched a few weeks ago, can't recall it's name, but a reoccurring theme was finding little to no appreciable difference in performance in high end gimmicks (aerodynamic tricks, super light frame, etc). Video after video of them racing a rare super bike with some cutting edge tech against a mid range road bike and maaaaybe seeing a second improvement in time over a mile.

The only thing that made a noticeable difference was rolling resistance. So make sure your tires are pumped. Lighter tires, tubes, and wheels help too, but it has downsides. Lighter tires and tubes are the cheapest upgrade with the biggest benefit. Lighter tubes lose air gradually do you have to pump your tires every few days. Lighter wheels help too, but you have to spend a lot on carbon fiber wheels or something.

Also make sure the bike store pumps the tires before you try out a bike, because the show bikes usually are a little flat.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Ardennes posted:

In Europe, it is pretty common to have regional rail service as well as decent local transit service to even small towns. The US itself had it at one point, it just got rid of it in favor of cars. Not that much of the US population actually lives far away from any form of civilization.

Yes, sure, I agree that it is easy enough to transport people between cities and rural towns. I am talking about transporting people from those towns to the place that work takes place, agriculture, horticulture, tree farming, this sort of thing. The more the countryside is centralized into these towns, the more this transportation gap tends to increase. On say a larger vegetable growing business where there might be a high concentration of labour this can be easily solved with buses etc. But for something like tree work or grain production with it's tiny concentration of workers I don't see how, especially in light of the short length of time workers will often be at each site for.
Some rural industries also by their nature encourage the workers to live on site, for instance pastoral dairy, which typically has very early starts and long hours. It seems unrealistic to expect people to live in an isolated place with little means of coming and going.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Mauser posted:

that's so expensive for what amounts to a heavy rear end bike. They also sell a "lightweight" bike on their website at just under 34 lbs.

A while ago I bought a '70s bottom of the line heavy rear end steel bike for $70 and that thing is bulletproof. just carried a 60 lb bag of mortar mix back home from the hardware store today.

I don't see a weight on it

It is steel sure, but it just means to get the same strength they use less.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Driving home from work yesterday and I saw a car upside down on its roof in the middle of the street, and this wasn't a highway or anything it was a small 50 kph suburban street with parking along both sides. It was raining too, I have no idea how much you'd have to gently caress up to flip a car on a flat low-speed suburban street but I'm going to have to assume they were going way faster than 50 kph...

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

I don't see a weight on it

It is steel sure, but it just means to get the same strength they use less.

Few manufacturers will give you a weight for their bikes online because there's different sizes and variations between individual pieces I guess, but when you're touting a lightweight bike as 34lbs you're joking a little bit.

Not to poo poo on the Dutch, but as someone referenced up thread, they live in an impossibly flat country where the biggest elevation you're going to struggle with is those little stone bridges over the canals that go up a meter in height at the crest. For the rest of us that live with hills and traffic, a ~50lb bike isn't ideal, and I personally would not pay $1500 for what is the equivalent of a performance beach cruiser, when you could find something with similar geometry and less weight for much cheaper and probably more of a gear range.

I ride in a mildly hilly east coast US city with hostile/oblivious/texting/drunk drivers and some biking infrastructure, but a lot of shared car/bike roads, and I don't mind riding on my 50 year old clunker that's easily 30lbs, but I also ride my bike every day and do 60-80 mile days for bike packing trips. Something more adapted for the limited details I remember you mentioning would be a lighter hybrid, which you could very easily find in that price range. Again though, if that's the bike that gets you biking and you feel safe and comfortable, it's all up to you and you'll get some serious muscles pedaling that thing.

Edit: check out the biking or commuting threads and people can give you recommendations if you're interested. They're all really friendly over there

Mauser has issued a correction as of 02:09 on Jun 4, 2023

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

the guy who used to have an accord and bought a porsche carrera S (which is like 120k new) has a "bmw m3 performance" in his driveway lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Blackhawk posted:

Driving home from work yesterday and I saw a car upside down on its roof in the middle of the street, and this wasn't a highway or anything it was a small 50 kph suburban street with parking along both sides. It was raining too, I have no idea how much you'd have to gently caress up to flip a car on a flat low-speed suburban street but I'm going to have to assume they were going way faster than 50 kph...

You can roll pretty easily at 50 km/h if you're trying to.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think the dutch bikes are actually fairly cheap in the netherlands and they make sense in that context where you want a basic single speed bike with an upright position, fenders, a chain guard, etc. It doesn't make sense to specifically get one in the us at great expense

It's sort of similar to Japanese "mamachari" bikes where they're popular because they're cheap, good enough for short distances, and bikes tend to eventually get stolen anyway, but there's nothing special about them that makes it worth going out of your way to import them at additional expense if you're in another country

Since the dutch bikes are also really similar to beach cruisers, if you don't care about weight it's also easy to get cheap 3 gear IGH or 1x7 gear derailleur beach cruisers in the US which will probably have fenders and (if igh) a chain guard and add a rack or whatever, and that may be more practical than single speed (IGH is great for commuting/errands). If you live somewhere pancake flat you could get a single speed one even cheaper.

That's even before considering the question of whether that style of bike is really ideal for the us. I just think that even if you do want that general style, there's plenty of better ways to get it in the us.

But yeah if you have hills you might want to consider something completely different anyway since pretty much any used hybrid will be no heavier than one of the those dutch bikes and used hybrids are abundantly available in the us. Also, you could even get an ebike if you're willing to spend $1500 (although theft is a concern).

I think that viewing dutch bikes as something special doesn't really make sense. The only really important property is having an upright posture and coming with practical accessories preinstalled, but aside from that the dutch bikes are more remarkable in that they show that the conditions are there for people to easily get around on heavy, upright, single speed bikes, rather than that the bikes themselves are special.

If you want to buy a slightly fancier new bike the best bang for your bike is probably still just to buy a hybrid style bike (since those are so abundant in the us) that's marketed more as a commuter bike and has a more upright posture and then just add the necessary accessories yourself. That way you will likely get a somewhat lighter bike with disc brakes that's a bit better for hills while still remaining quite relatively cheap.

If you've never ridden a cruiser bike you may want to see if you can somehow try one first (e.g. from a bikeshare system) so you can make sure you're okay with how heavy they are. This video has a good description of the pros and cons of cruiser bikes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXXMQw2YkTM

mystes has issued a correction as of 02:47 on Jun 4, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Wxcafe/status/1664695179511582729?t=VXWmuQn6oOvqGaKwioaKYw&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Mauser posted:

Not to poo poo on the Dutch, but as someone referenced up thread, they live in an impossibly flat country where the biggest elevation you're going to struggle with is those little stone bridges over the canals that go up a meter in height at the crest.

Yeah I feel this way when I see people living car-free using cargo bikes in EU countries. Coming back from our supermarket requires climbing up a 30m high ridgeline with an average gradient of around 6% without any real way to avoid the climb and no cycleway. Yes that's absolutely doable with an e-cargobike carrying a load of shopping in a low gear but it would suck arse with cars shooting by you on the narrow roads up the ridge.

My route home from work includes a nearly 60m climb with a peak gradient of 16% which is hard enough even on a light road bike not carrying anything. There's really no way you can go anywhere in this city without encountering some pretty substantial hills.

Obviously with a solid network of fully off-road cycleways it would be no issue as long as you have enough gears and maybe some e-assist, but without that it's a pretty major impediment to most people. I feel like the 250W e-bike power limit here is way more of a restriction than it is in the EU due to all the hills, again more power shouldn't be required if there was good infrastructure, but if you have to share the road with cars then enough power to maintain some kind of minimal speed differential in hilly terrain goes a long way to feeling safer on a bike.