Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

Gamer was ahead of it’s time. If there’s a new N/T or just T movie I’m seeing it in theaters.

I got a secret ticket to a mom and dad screening and it was amazing

Taylor is directing the Hellboy: The Crooked Man. He just finished filming it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Gripweed posted:

I watched Hail, Caesar! At first I was like this is fantastic, why do people call this a lesser Coen?

Because No Country For Old Men and the Big Lebowski are so great that even Hail, Caesar can't measure up to them.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Gripweed posted:

I watched Hail, Caesar! At first I was like this is fantastic, why do people call this a lesser Coen? But by the end I got it. I think the main problems are that Alden Errenreich delivers way too good of a performance, he pulls the emotional core of the movie to him but the movie isn't structured to work with that. And the by far least interesting plotline, the kidnapping, takes up the bulk of the runtime.

It's definitely a fun ride with lots of good stuff, but it doesn't cohere together as a solid movie.

I agree. I enjoyed it but it doesn’t quite work.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

I’ve been a very lax dog owner but its fine because my dog weighs 4 lbs. and is afraid of everything (particularly flies! he gets so upset he pukes if there’s a fly in the apt). He can’t be outside without close supervision because an osprey or owl will literally take him.

I had a lab when I was a kid who didn't like people or other dogs, she would flip out and yelp and snarl. It was such a pain in the rear end to walk her because people would be like "oh I love dogs" or "my dog is super friendly" and it's tough to convince them that my dog is kinda a piece of poo poo, they really wanna interact with her, and regret it and are super apologetic

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7239883020612767019

“It could be a true story”

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Turned to cats. My man is adorqbly asleep for about twenty hours a day but for four he's either crying for food or giving me dead rats

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Alhazred posted:

Because No Country For Old Men and the Big Lebowski are so great that even Hail, Caesar can't measure up to them.

But those are both mid tier Coens?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gripweed posted:

What in the world is this take.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Timby posted:

What in the world is this take.

Correct. A Serious Man is the S-Tier Coen.

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Edward Mass posted:

We need a film adaptation of Urinetown and a musical adaptation of Little Miss Sunshine.

Good news! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Miss_Sunshine_(musical) (They even got the book writer/director of Sunday in the Park With George to work on it!)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFBsR4X5Xno1QiO5jNmAasuZsT8KH9U55 <--- Cast recording

My favorite film musicals are either animated or Singin' in the Rain. Live-action musicals don't tend to work well for me for, a lot of reasons - the recent filmed version of Matilda got it right, especially with the School Song and The Hammer. I think you could make a killer animated Follies where the present day is in color and the past is in black and white.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gripweed posted:

Correct. A Serious Man is the S-Tier Coen.

A Serious Man is indeed S-tier Coen.

As are Lebowski and No Country and a half-dozen others, like Raising Arizona, True Grit, Inside Llewyn Davis, Barton Fink, Miller's Crossing and O Brother.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's tough to say, but O Brother blows everything else out of the water.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A Serious Man is so loving good. That and Fargo/Lebowski are my personal holy trinity, with Llewyn and No Country rounding out the top 5, but I love almost all of their movies, of course.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Escobarbarian posted:

A Serious Man is so loving good. That and Fargo/Lebowski are my personal holy trinity, with Llewyn and No Country rounding out the top 5, but I love almost all of their movies, of course.

The only Coen Brothers movies I don't outright love are Intolerable Cruelty and The Ladykillers, both of which do absolutely nothing for me (even though there are a few good gags in Intolerable Cruelty).

Admittedly, I haven't seen Joel's version of MacBeth, as I don't have AppleTV+, nor have I seen Ethan's solo efforts. But as a directorial team, they have very, very few misfires. I revisited Miller's Crossing for the first time in a while earlier this year when I was in a spat of depression, and sweet Jesus it's so amazing in every way.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I've seen most, but not all, their stuff (no No Country, Llewellyn Davies or A Serious Man), but my favourites would have to be Burn After Reading, Miller's Crossing and... The Hudsucker Proxy.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Sounds like you've got a drat good triple feature ahead of you tonight.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

I've seen most, but not all, their stuff (no No Country, Llewellyn Davies or A Serious Man), but my favourites would have to be Burn After Reading, Miller's Crossing and... The Hudsucker Proxy.

My dude you know me, you trust me, watch all three of those movies asap

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Lol holy poo poo I wish I was you

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I've still got Hudsucker and Arizona in my back pocket for a rainy day.

e: I feel it's very important to keep a handful of S-Tier movies unwatched for as long as possible so that I never run out of all-timers. Then I drip-feed myself a few over time when I'm in a movie rut. But in doing so expectations can be tough—RoboCop was not at all what I expected and it wasn't until the second time I watched it that I fell in love. I was expecting something much more akin to Terminator 2 rather than The Terminator, for some reason.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 3, 2023

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Timby posted:

Admittedly, I haven't seen Joel's version of MacBeth, as I don't have AppleTV+, nor have I seen Ethan's solo efforts.

I still remember Ethan's review of MacBeth, movie has been worth it just for that.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I need to rewatch A Serious Man because I didn’t like it. Didn’t like BAR first time either but enjoyed it a lot a second. My favourite Coen’s and one of my all-time faves is The Man Who Wasn’t There, which hasn’t even been mentioned yet!
I really like Intolerable Cruelty too, actually. Didn’t love No Country, loved Fargo, Lebowski, Millers, Hudsucker, O Brother…

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I think my hottest Coen take is that No Country is simply A-tier, it feels like it’s retreading Fargo a little too much, and it doesn’t bring anything as good as the TruCoat scene. My Coen Holy Trinity is Fargo, The Big Lebowski, and probably Raising Arizona, but that last one could change around a lot.

Gripweed posted:

Mods????

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I didn’t like Raising Arizona very much when I first watched it when I was like 17. I thought it was frequently too stupid and I hated the biker character. I didn’t bother to rewatch it until…..uhh……well, just now based off this discussion. Turns out it’s really good! It won’t ever be one of my favourite Coens, but it’s mostly stupid in a very very smart way, the dialogue is exceptional, and the filmmaking is wildly good especially during the action scenes.

O Brother and The Man Who Wasn’t There are the two I really need to rewatch, I don’t remember them well at all, especially the former. My memory of Hudsucker is that the first half or so is a near-perfect screwball homage and then it kinda runs out of steam.

Burn After Reading is the ultimate “gets better on rewatch” movie

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

the thing is apart from The Ladykillers and Intolerable Cruelty, pretty much every Coen Brothers movie was at least arguably the best movie of the year it came out so even their mid-tier stuff is pretty great.

for me the mid tier is like, Buster Scruggs which i only really liked half of and Hail Caesar which is still really fun but kinda insubstantial

i'll also say that as otherwise bad as The Ladykillers is it might have my favorite Tom Hanks performance

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Buster Scruggs is like 1/3 top-tier 1/3 pretty good 1/3 mid as hell

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Buster Scruggs is like 1/3 top-tier 1/3 pretty good 1/3 mid as hell

agreed although the fun thing i have noticed is nobody seems to agree on which segments are which

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Watched the documentary about Natalia Grace and her adoptive family (the inspiration for The Orphan) and it made me like The Orphan 2 even more because it was actually far closer to the truth than what the psychopathic family’s story which skews almost beat for beat with the first film. IRL she actually was 6 years old, the abusive parents changed her age to 22 by coaching the child to say that to doctors. The dad is one of the most transparently bad characters pretending to be the good guy by seemingly using stage acting as a front. Bizarre as hell. Highly recommend. Its on the ID channel and MAX i think.

Lil Mama Im Sorry fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jun 3, 2023

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

agreed although the fun thing i have noticed is nobody seems to agree on which segments are which

Hmm well I haven’t seen it since it came out but:

Top-tier:
Buster Scruggs
Tom waits one (aka gold prospector)

Pretty good:
Liam neeson one (aka limbless reciter)
Brendan Gleeson one (aka carriage ride)

Mid as hell:
James Franco one (aka “first time?”)
The one where the dog leads that woman into an ambush

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The Franco one is such a shame, because it has potential. Based on the trailer (and the meme line) I really wanted it to be a folk tale about a guy who has managed to dodge death through pure good luck again and again and again. I guess that's some headcanon poo poo I made up, though.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Hmm well I haven’t seen it since it came out but:

Top-tier:
Buster Scruggs
Tom waits one (aka gold prospector)

Pretty good:
Liam neeson one (aka limbless reciter)
Brendan Gleeson one (aka carriage ride)

Mid as hell:
James Franco one (aka “first time?”)
The one where the dog leads that woman into an ambush

mine is basically this except i'd swap the carriage ride one for the james franco one - which is kind of a major problem for the movie for me cuz then it ends with its two worst segments

the Zoe Kazan one isn't bad but its placement in the movie feels off. i kind of straight up hate the carriage ride one, it feels like a first draft they wrote way early in their career. but i've heard some people cite that one as their favorite.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

which is kind of a major problem for the movie for me cuz then it ends with its two worst segments

This was my problem with French Dispatch. Not only does it end on far and away the worst segment, it's also excruciatingly long compared to the others.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Honestly I was so turned off by the native american stuff in buster scruggs, call me a boring lib but I kept thinking “oh you guys are just gonna play this stuff straight huh, that’s a yikes”

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

This was my problem with French Dispatch. Not only does it end on far and away the worst segment, it's also excruciatingly long compared to the others.

Upon rewatch I appreciated that section a LOT more. I still don’t dig the middle one so much, though.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Watched No Country For Old Men. Deakins made some very beautiful art, and the sound design and editing are fantastic. Incredibly tense film.

Amused that Chigurh is something of a moral deTerminator.

Not sure what to make of it though, which is probably the point.

My current thinking on the film comcerns the two sequences where strangers barter their shirts away, in that despite their similarities between the scenes there's no real connection between them, and attempting to link the two together beyond coincidence is a fool's errand. They're just things that happen. And that the universe of the film is made up of events which happen, logically and in succession, for their own independent reasons outside of a greater, narratively satisfying plan. So Tommy Lee Jones' reactionary read on the world is just as false as Brolin's (anti-)heroic fantasy he imagines himself embroiled in. Chigurh doesn't necessarily fit with that read, but does he have to? He's inconsistent when he wants to be.

It's a lot. It's good but it's a lot.

Also I stayed up late to watch this and am very tired, so if this reads as nonsense I apologise hahah

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 3, 2023

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Watched the documentary about Natalia Grace and her adoptive family (the inspiration for The Orphan) and it made me like The Orphan 2 even more because it was actually far closer to the truth than what the psychopathic family’s story which skews almost beat for beat with the first film. IRL she actually was 6 years old, the abusive parents changed her age to 22 by coaching the child to say that to doctors. The dad is one of the most transparently bad characters pretending to be the good guy by seemingly using stage acting as a front. Bizarre as hell. Highly recommend. Its on the ID channel and MAX i think.

I feel like the adoption story of the adoptee having bad vibes is always presented as ideological cover for the adoption industry, which at best is just a fundie human trafficking scheme.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The Tom Waits part of Buster Scruggs was the only good part. And this is coming from someone who is so enthusiastic about Coen poo poo that I saw it in a theater.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The Tom Waits part of Buster Scruggs was the only good part. And this is coming from someone who is so enthusiastic about Coen poo poo that I saw it in a theater.

i do love the Tom Waits one but for me The Ballad of Buster Scruggs never really improves on The Ballad of Buster Scruggs. i love the mix of wacky Roy Rogers singing cowboy and Cormac McCarthy nihilistic violence.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
The amputee performer segment just tanks Buster Scruggs. I like some of the segments fine, the title segment is great, but that one is an absolute dirge and drags on and on and on.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I feel like the adoption story of the adoptee having bad vibes is always presented as ideological cover for the adoption industry, which at best is just a fundie human trafficking scheme.

Its truly depraved poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I agree on the carriage segment being on the low end of the Scruggs ranking. The actors are fun enough to watch that I don't think it's terrible but it's otherwise just not very interesting. I also didn't much care for "The Girl Who Got Rattled" because the whole thing kind of feels like a waste of time by the end.

I like the other segments, especially the Waits one, but the titular Ballad might have worked better elsewhere in the movie because the rest of the shorts can't help but feel lacking in comparison to strong opening.