Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Yeah, as a level-scourer I really hate that status effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

well, i found a true orbit and got to play around with it a bit. i wish i would've captured some recordings before i killed myself, but this is all the evidence i have of it. it was a lot of fun

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

what the gently caress is going on here

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Concurred posted:

what the gently caress is going on here

Option
a) warcrimes
b) nyarlathotep vs cthulhu
c) possibly this?

Basically tentacles shooting tentacles that shoot exploding bouncing bursts.
In retrospect, the gamma spells to copy matter eater are actually centered on the character not the tentacles and don't really do anything.

The core spell combo of freeze tentacle is actually an extremely useful interaction to know about similar to ping pong path luminous drill.
Minimally just freeze and tentacle. In this version to shatter you'll need to freeze as the tentacle extends, and shatter on the backswing.
Speed up gives it useful range, and the shatter effect is much more consistent with two tentacles as it will just shatter on contact. Go get your revenge on the lukki lair.
Chainsaw removes the hefty cast delay and allows rapid fire as usual with a fast wand or speed up.

Alternate uses:
https://i.imgur.com/bRQ78O8.mp4

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I'm become death the destroyer of no wait, what the gently caress. What the gently caress.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
First win! Second Kolmi kill, but the first was with a Nuke spell that promptly beaned me with a rock and tossed me into the lava :v:

The endboss itself was surprisingly a breeze, considering how butt-clenchingly tense the level before him was. I managed to put together an absolute monstrosity of a double-triplecasting, mana-adding wand that fired five chainsaws and one fireball-orbited Magic Bolt so loving fast that the recoil hurled me around like a booster rocket, and between that and my ludicrously good perks (fire, toxic, and electric immunity, plus permanent shield), I was able to brute-force literally every problem by either explosively sandblasting it to atoms or launching myself rear end-backwards into another time zone.

I usually did more damage to myself with fireball orbit detonations than the enemies did to me - except enemies with acid or lava for blood, who tended to explode into a fine mist of murderous pixels that did a concerning amount of harm to me. This proved especially deleterious since a botched attempt at hallucinating all lava into not-lava had turned all slime into lava, instead. Oops.

But yeah. Zero orbs so Kolmi went down like a chump to my doom wand; I don't think I actually took damage during the fight, and by far the biggest danger was the risk of accidentally launching my wizard booty directly into the nearest dramatic lavafall. God, it feels good to finally beat Wizard Hubris Simulator.

e: tried nightmare mode and immediately vaporized myself with an Always-Cast Giga Death Cross starter wand, lmfao this mode loving rules

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 3, 2023

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Angry Diplomat posted:

God, it feels good to finally beat Wizard Hubris Simulator.

e: tried nightmare mode and immediately vaporized myself with an Always-Cast Giga Death Cross starter wand, lmfao this mode loving rules

Congratulations! The first win is a great feeling.

Yes, nightmare mode is the best. you can also try exploring the regular world in other directions as well. The hubris is just beginning :getin:

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

First win! Second Kolmi kill, but the first was with a Nuke spell that promptly beaned me with a rock and tossed me into the lava :v:

The endboss itself was surprisingly a breeze, considering how butt-clenchingly tense the level before him was. I managed to put together an absolute monstrosity of a double-triplecasting, mana-adding wand that fired five chainsaws and one fireball-orbited Magic Bolt so loving fast that the recoil hurled me around like a booster rocket, and between that and my ludicrously good perks (fire, toxic, and electric immunity, plus permanent shield), I was able to brute-force literally every problem by either explosively sandblasting it to atoms or launching myself rear end-backwards into another time zone.

I usually did more damage to myself with fireball orbit detonations than the enemies did to me - except enemies with acid or lava for blood, who tended to explode into a fine mist of murderous pixels that did a concerning amount of harm to me. This proved especially deleterious since a botched attempt at hallucinating all lava into not-lava had turned all slime into lava, instead. Oops.

But yeah. Zero orbs so Kolmi went down like a chump to my doom wand; I don't think I actually took damage during the fight, and by far the biggest danger was the risk of accidentally launching my wizard booty directly into the nearest dramatic lavafall. God, it feels good to finally beat Wizard Hubris Simulator.

Congrats on the win! It's been a joy to read your progress posts here and in the Roguelike thread, thanks for posting 'em! :)

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

animatorZed posted:

Congratulations! The first win is a great feeling.

Yes, nightmare mode is the best. you can also try exploring the regular world in other directions as well. The hubris is just beginning :getin:

Hempuli posted:

Congrats on the win! It's been a joy to read your progress posts here and in the Roguelike thread, thanks for posting 'em! :)

I haven't come anywhere close to exploring all of the crazy poo poo this game has to offer, so I'll probably be posting about those as I discover them. I found the Lukki Lair (:gonk:) and flew upwards so high that I reached the Work (:stare:) and both places very thoroughly kicked my rear end. I think I'm going to try to get to Kolmi, then see what happens if I can make my way through all the lava underneath him (ideally via fungal reality shift)

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I really wish there was a variant of Nightmare mode that only included the change to the start of a run, namely the free wands and perks to choose from, because it makes the game a lot more interesting up front rather than having to survive until potentially the jungle or beyond to actually start getting Fun Spells.

Zamujasa posted:

I've been really excited to try out the new beta updates after being too busy to play it for a long while! Woo!

Fire up a new game, and

gently caress :smith:

This run actually made it down to the vault, but I never managed to find a decent spell setup or wand so I died to the melee shield bastards. Had zero luck finding anything that did meaningful damage, and even with fire/explosion immunities I never found anything that synergized with it.

Angry Diplomat posted:

I haven't come anywhere close to exploring all of the crazy poo poo this game has to offer, so I'll probably be posting about those as I discover them. I found the Lukki Lair (:gonk:) and flew upwards so high that I reached the Work (:stare:) and both places very thoroughly kicked my rear end. I think I'm going to try to get to Kolmi, then see what happens if I can make my way through all the lava underneath him (ideally via fungal reality shift)

fungal shifting is one of the most hilarious parts of the game for how dangerous/insane it can be, including the hilarious run-ending scenarios of "flammable gas to acid"

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

In my last run, I somehow shifted fire to gunpowder, and as soon as I was lit ablaze I instantly exploded for all of my health (???). In this run, I have shifted both toxic waste and lava to oil, so I can go all sorts of places by simply starting enormous fires. Just Noita things

e: I have learned not to hold blood potions when fungal shifting. Vomit to lava is survivable if you're really careful about what you imbibe. Blood to acid, not so much.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 3, 2023

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Angry Diplomat posted:

In my last run, I somehow shifted fire to gunpowder, and as soon as I was lit ablaze I instantly exploded for all of my health (???). In this run, I have shifted both toxic waste and lava to oil, so I can go all sorts of places by simply starting enormous fires. Just Noita things
I wonder if you could've survived by immersing yourself in water, not that it would've helped long term. Would probably be real hilarious with explosion/fire immunity, though

quote:

e: I have learned not to hold blood potions when fungal shifting. Vomit to lava is survivable if you're really careful about what you imbibe. Blood to acid, not so much.

acid blood? just a little pH imbalance :cool:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Hey remember that "minimalist spells" discussion earlier? I have the unlimited spells perk and just combined Accelerative Homing with Rock and I am simultaneously a) an invincible force of destruction and b) abjectly terrified for my life

e: the game is lagging. All I can hear is clattering and grinding. Everywhere I go I am met with wall-to-wall gore. Nothing lives. This is not a place of honour

e2: cutting the rocks up with Luminous Drill produces multiple smaller, radically faster, infinitely angrier and deadlier homing flechettes

I just watched a single rock literally tear one of the shielded melee robots limb from limb in the blink of an eye, I am cowering in a hole while the evil I have unleashed massacres everyone in the world

Final edit: the rocks turned on me. One carried me bodily across an entire room and threw me into an acid tank before rending asunder a nearby robot, creating an explosion that annihilated us all. I have met my just and inevitable end. At last the fear is gone. At last I can rest.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jun 4, 2023

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Angry Diplomat posted:

Hey remember that "minimalist spells" discussion earlier? I have the unlimited spells perk and just combined Accelerative Homing with Rock and I am simultaneously a) an invincible force of destruction and b) abjectly terrified for my life

e: the game is lagging. All I can hear is clattering and grinding. Everywhere I go I am met with wall-to-wall gore. Nothing lives. This is not a place of honour

e2: cutting the rocks up with Luminous Drill produces multiple smaller, radically faster, infinitely angrier and deadlier homing flechettes

I just watched a single rock literally tear one of the shielded melee robots limb from limb in the blink of an eye, I am cowering in a hole while the evil I have unleashed massacres everyone in the world

Final edit: the rocks turned on me. One carried me bodily across an entire room and threw me into an acid tank before rending asunder a nearby robot, creating an explosion that annihilated us all. I have met my just and inevitable end. At last the fear is gone. At last I can rest.

:hmmyes: inspiring

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
For me it's usually "rocks, unlimited spells, homing - you only get 2 out of 3". But a few runs ago I got homing+piercing+prickly spore and that's pretty amusing. Kills lots of things, including your framerate.

Just died because even though I saw the swapper next to the robocop in the fungal caverns, I STILL shot at them with 40hp and a slow pingpong lumi. Got punched in the face and put down. I even found a wand lying nearby with rapidfire shotguns and damage field that my ghost must have died with (amazing luck not to have to fight him!)

I'm constantly surprised at the number of times I have to say to myself "what the gently caress were you thinking, man!"

One thing I don't like about this game is there is no sense of what to do. When I started playing it was all a mystery, and even now it is very hard to find information about what you should hope to accomplish as you get better. I've slowly been compiling a list of things to consider as you get runs under your belt, and maybe one day I'll post a guide that gives some suggested things for newer players to head towards, because I could never find anything like that when I started out. Even before you get to things like parallel worlds, breaking the reroll machines, the sun quest and NG+++ there are things you can do to unlock some of the other spells and little secrets that aren't too difficult and show off some cool things. Not everyone wants to read tablets and runes and hope they puzzle out the hints.

Sure, you could go through the wiki and read everything and maybe piece a plan together, but it's hard to know what you should naturally be trying to do as your current Noita run is gaining in power. At what point should you think about hitting the Bridge Boss or Alchemist? What do I need at this point to not be committing suicide? I've spent 3 hours in a game and thought I was a killing machine and visited the Tower where I just got erased from existence, and that can be a bit disheartening.

But you know, welcome to Noita.

e: Just got murdered in the start of the Coal Mines by my ghost wielding a rapid-fire freezing fire-trailed shotgun. Thanks, past me.

Unrelated, I'm not a fan of the biome modifiers, for the most part. Almost all of the ones I've seen remove some fun from the game. If there was a reward, like the chests had better loot or wands were just a tiny bit better I'd feel they were worth my time. As it is I probably restart the game if it kicks off with one active.

Gromit fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jun 4, 2023

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Gromit posted:

For me it's usually "rocks, unlimited spells, homing - you only get 2 out of 3".

one time i got all of them early on and i didnt realize how strong it was until it was too late :negative:

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

Zamujasa posted:

fungal shifting is one of the most hilarious parts of the game for how dangerous/insane it can be, including the hilarious run-ending scenarios of "flammable gas to acid"

water to steam? That was fun until I got burned to death.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
my latest ones were "blood to water" and "acid to sima". mostly i just keep dying to poor resources and bad skills.

i really wish the secrets didn't disable themselves with mods enabled.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
well that's terrifying.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I tried fireball-emitter rocks on a distant cast and let me tell you: you should never cast fireball-emitter rocks in the same room as yourself, but you should definitely distant-cast them through walls to pulverize enemies that haven't seen you yet. Just be careful not to summon one IN a wall or the entire world will shake forever.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I'm hoping that true orbit unlimited rocks turns me into a shot-blocking crushing machine.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
Trying out the beta branch and this is unironically one of the most useful new spells I found so far.

Portals in nightmare and I continue to not have the best relationship.
https://i.imgur.com/6Fwnleb.mp4
Also from the beta branch, although I've seen similar overwriting of areas in the main game including deleting the sampo.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I'm still yet to try Nightmare mode. On a run right now that is just depressing. Down at the jungle right now and my wand is so underpowered. The only thing keeping me alive is vampirism and lots more blood. I'm about to reset the game because of how unfun it is trying to kill things.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Nightmare gives a much faster start (4 perks and 3 snow depths grade wands in the entrance, skips the mines entirely) but you take double damage (triple from melee) and enemy scaling gets pretty dumb around the jungle.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The stones hunger

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
It'll be safe to try. as long as I teleport away there's no way it could catch up right?
https://i.imgur.com/4D20DYe.mp4

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i'm shocked that clip didn't end in horrible death

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ciaphas posted:

I was waiting for the comedy uppercut at the end

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i think this is the one case where not dying makes it funnier

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
do not cast pollen with acid trail attached

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
do not cast anything with acid trail attached

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Angry Diplomat posted:

Noita: I have met my just and inevitable end.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Ciaphas posted:

I was really wondering how much longer it could keep going before :rip:, but :stare:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Anyone else crashing to desktop maybe 1/10 times you pick up one of your nightmare starter wands?

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

dis astranagant posted:

Anyone else crashing to desktop maybe 1/10 times you pick up one of your nightmare starter wands?

I’m not a pro enough gamer to even have nightmare unlocked but are you running any mods?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Fayez Butts posted:

I’m not a pro enough gamer to even have nightmare unlocked but are you running any mods?

I've been playing with and without them and getting the same crash. None of he mods I've been using affect spells or wands anyway. It's not leaving a crash dump and I can't exactly predict it beyond picking up my first wand in a nightmare run.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Regardless of whether your mods affect wands and spells I'd still play for a bit without mods active to see if the problem persists. Sucks I know

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
also try the usual "verify files" stuff if you're using steam, or whatever the equivalent is for your platform, just in case something got broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

"this is looking like a decent run so far, got decent gold coming out of the mines and coal pit, got a nice shotgun wand, let me just check the shop-"

"oh my"

Then I found an Always Casts Matter Eater in the Hisii base