Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
New page - https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1282.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Did they activate the portal properly? Per 1278 only Serini has the runes, and also per 1278, she has to be the one entering the portal to switch it to Final Dungeon mode. She disappears from the page after the first panel but it's not shown that she went into the portal.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

SKULL.GIF posted:

Did they activate the portal properly? Per 1278 only Serini has the runes, and also per 1278, she has to be the one entering the portal to switch it to Final Dungeon mode. She disappears from the page after the first panel but it's not shown that she went into the portal.

This isn't the Final Dungeon portal. Those appear at the end of whatever sub-dungeon you cleared out last. Or, at least, that's how I took it to mean. Otherwise, Serini would be tripping the Final Dungeon portal every time she needed to do maintenance on the most forward facing part of the dungeon complex. Plus, Roy mentioned wanting to use a dungeon that Xykon had already cleared out so the party has to do less trapfinding. This implies that the Final Dungeon portal spawns at the end of the sub-dungeon rather than the beginning.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

This isn't the Final Dungeon portal. Those appear at the end of whatever sub-dungeon you cleared out last. Or, at least, that's how I took it to mean. Otherwise, Serini would be tripping the Final Dungeon portal every time she needed to do maintenance on the most forward facing part of the dungeon complex. Plus, Roy mentioned wanting to use a dungeon that Xykon had already cleared out so the party has to do less trapfinding. This implies that the Final Dungeon portal spawns at the end of the sub-dungeon rather than the beginning.

Gotcha, that makes sense, thanks for explaining.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
MarshmAllow

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Ragnar34 posted:

MarshmAllow

Both are considered acceptable spellings, though yours is the more formal choice

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
the marshmallow test is bunkum, btw. no actual predictive value per the higher quality replications.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
I thought the actual conclusion of marshmallow test was "children from lower-income backgrounds have learned that adults are liars, and the promised good things never actually materialize, so grab what you can right now".

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Warden posted:

I thought the actual conclusion of marshmallow test was "children from lower-income backgrounds have learned that adults are liars, and the promised good things never actually materialize, so grab what you can right now".

There are multiple possible conclusions. But you are correct in that trust was a big factor that was not included in the original study.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
The original marshmallow test experiments had small-n samples of pre-schoolers who attended Stanford's on-campus nursery school - they were pretty much entirely children of faculty and employees of the school. Another flaw with that experiment, as well as many follow-up studies conducted elsewhere, was that there was a two year gap between the youngest and oldest kids in the sample, between 3.5 and 5.5 years old. Kids develop real drat quick - and naturally there's a very strong correlation between age and whether the kids got a second marshmallow.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Also there is an underlying assumption that it is objectively better to be without a marshmallow right now and have two marshmallows a little later, as if an extra marshmallow is worth the wait for something you need right loving now. If the experiment was continued ad absurdium, if the child waited for 12 years they would have a mountain of marshmallows. But in actuality marshmallows are disgusting and they get worse the more you have, so one marshmallow is better than >1.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
At the end of 10 minutes, the researcher takes all marshmallows for themselves and the kids learn a valuable lesson about investments and market volatility.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
The thought of eating even one marshmallow feels unappetizing to me. Why would the experiment assume that marshmallows are something that people inherently want at all?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Marshmallows are made of sugar and pig's feet.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Eat the marshmallow now and use the calories to kill the scientists and take their marshmallows.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Gynovore posted:

Wow those are my two favourite ingredients, you just converted me!

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Gynovore posted:

Hey those're the main ingredients in the Chinese dish I'm cooking tonight.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Trotters can be drat amazing. Like jowls if done right.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
I mean what we're supposed to get out of that scene is that xykon has the emotional maturity of a 3 year old

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

ikanreed posted:

I mean what we're supposed to get out of that scene is that xykon has the emotional maturity of a 3 year old

You know seriously that's not wrong. I mean, Xykon knows strategy and tactics, but when actually in battle he tends towards casting the spell that's the most fun.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Gynovore posted:

There's supposed to be some mallow in there too, altho it often gets neglected.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's supposed to be some mallow in there too, altho it often gets neglected.

Like with jujubes, the candied version became super successful that the original plant component was replaced with synthetics.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Parahexavoctal posted:

Like with jujubes, the candied version became super successful that the original plant component was replaced with synthetics.

I'm sure someone is making the authentic old timey stuff. It just costs 100X what the synthetic costs so only rich idiots bother.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Facebook Aunt posted:

I'm sure someone is making the authentic old timey stuff. It just costs 100X what the synthetic costs so only rich idiots bother.

sounds like someone doesn't live in an area with Mexican Coke

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Wild mallows are basically free in most of Europe, stuff is everywhere.

It's just a lot of work to make marshmallows yourself, no matter the ingredients. Who would even bother.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

GlyphGryph posted:

Wild mallows are basically free in most of Europe, stuff is everywhere.

It's just a lot of work to make marshmallows yourself, no matter the ingredients. Who would even bother.

Bog witches, probably.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

the modron is running a free-to-play mobile game with microtransactions, it's more evil than xykon

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

ikanreed posted:

And that MITD doesn’t. :3:

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Gynovore posted:

you had me at feet.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Gynovore posted:

Sugar and spice and everything pig's feet.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Shugojin posted:

the modron is running a free-to-play mobile game with microtransactions, it's more evil than xykon

I prefer to think of the Modron's ploy as malicious compliance. It has to honor the terms of the summoning, but it doesn't have to be accommodating about it.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Hmm, Given that they're not on panel in the Marshmellow Test Saga™ distraction, I suspect Oona and the Wolf are about to Team Evil MVP again.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

This one dumb romcom "The six year engagement" or something like that had part of its plot and lowest breakup point hinge on the boyfriend failing basically the marshmallow test (except day old donuts vs fresh ones that would arrive soon) and I wanted to yell at the screen "That is a stupid study! It's fundamentally flawed!"

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

A.o.D. posted:

I prefer to think of the Modron's ploy as malicious compliance. It has to honor the terms of the summoning, but it doesn't have to be accommodating about it.

The original gag was that Redcloak needed to pay less XP or material components for accepting an Ad supported Gate, right?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ahahaha

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

goblin week posted:

you had me at feet.

so they had you for the whole thing, then

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
New page - https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1283.html

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Maybe I missed something, but what's with the Zombie in panel two?

Edit: oh, that's the mimic, never mind.

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 26, 2023

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Huh, so this is probably the solution (or, at least, method) that Roy/Durkon needed from their debate however many pages ago about how to get through to Redcloak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
which part? talking about keeping families safe? letting him die and raising his spawn? burning away half his body and grafting him back together with elf flesh? telekinetic hugs?

okay those last two I could see having an impact