Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

He also first shows up to the plot to go “ooh if you just understood we could work together” at Minfillia and the WoL. It’s just that he never revisited that again until the WoL starting killing Ascians and his opinion eventually changed to “wait gently caress they killed Lahabrea OH gently caress YOU YOU KILLED EMET-SELCH”.

He was starting his normal hero manipulating thing but in the process accidentally let slip the first hint of how to murder Ascians for real to a group that both knew what Ascians were and were smart enough to start formulating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Controlling both sides of the conflict is how they achieve the timing they need. They were afraid heroes they didn't control could gently caress up their plans, and they were right about that.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
You gotta have heroes to oppose the evil plans so they don't happen too hard too fast and you end up with a world that's just a Flood of Element and so that enough people survive to rebuild so you can do it all again. That's the balance

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I'm pretty sure we've all just typed exactly the same thing

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

honestly nabriales probably hosed elidibus's plans pretty hard in that respect. reading ARR and HW backwards with our future (later-written) knowledge from other expansions, it seems pretty clear that urianger should've been our shadowkeeper/cyella/cylva except that lmao nabriales trucked in and caused moenbryda's death, thereby ensuring the most "i can be a little sneaky and manipulative for the greater good" scion was permanently off team ascian

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Valentin posted:

honestly nabriales probably hosed elidibus's plans pretty hard in that respect. reading ARR and HW backwards with our future (later-written) knowledge from other expansions, it seems pretty clear that urianger should've been our shadowkeeper/cyella/cylva except that lmao nabriales trucked in and caused moenbryda's death, thereby ensuring the most "i can be a little sneaky and manipulative for the greater good" scion was permanently off team ascian

it owns that the sneakiest scion is the one who talks like someone making fun of shakespeare and not the one trained from a young age for espionage

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Riol is better than Thancred at all the spy stuff anyway

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

C's get degrees even at archon school i guess

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

one of my random 7.0 hopes is more riol. i have no justification for it, there is very little of interest about him, he's just been there since ARR and stood near some important plot points (rip wilred) and i want to know what his class is.

but my true kokoro wish is a name for the keeper of entwined serpents. i don't even like the guy i just think he should have a name

Valentin fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 3, 2023

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

If there isn’t a Hoary Boulder trust in 7.0 then what the gently caress are we even doing?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I want Krile trust! Let Krile fight!

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Chillgamesh posted:

If there isn’t a Hoary Boulder trust in 7.0 then what the gently caress are we even doing?

:hmmyes:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Hoary Boulder still isn't a trust in 7.0, but throughout the whole game we meet him at various points in the story and he's always with a new party member - he talks about his ongoing quest and the party member expounds on details Hoary left out in his retelling.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
I think both Elidibus and Emet periodically go native a bit too much for The Plan, but Elidibus' role means he's less likely to do it in a way that causes problems. Emet has to spend long spans of time living among mortals and forming bonds which makes him hesitate, especially since he has to do both the evil conquering empire bits and the "bring prosperity and happiness to a downtrodden or desperate people and eventually to their territories" stages of the Plan.

Lahabrea is the only one who doesn't seem to hesitate and that's because he's already a man used to suppressing personal desires in pursuit of the Plan, and quite probably a puppet of Ultima as well. And his role as the cackling bodyjacking supervillain makes it easier for him to maintain that distance, even as it ruins him as a functional human being.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Jetrauben posted:

Lahabrea is the only one who doesn't seem to hesitate and that's because he's already a man used to suppressing personal desires in pursuit of the Plan, and quite probably a puppet of Ultima as well. And his role as the cackling bodyjacking supervillain makes it easier for him to maintain that distance, even as it ruins him as a functional human being.

'But a fragment of the power of my god.' INDEED, Lahabrea.

Which god was that again?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

FuturePastNow posted:

I'm pretty sure we've all just typed exactly the same thing

I think I typed a bit about Elidibus controlling heroes a page before this discussion, in fact. :v:

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Gearhead posted:

'But a fragment of the power of my god.' INDEED, Lahabrea.

Which god was that again?

Ultimmmmmy word, look at the time, time to go pray to *checks notes scribbled on hand*.. Zediork?

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Cabbit posted:

Ultimmmmmy word, look at the time, time to go pray to *checks notes scribbled on hand*.. Zediork?

Between Lahabrea's slips of character that seem to only make more sense in retrospect, and someone having allowed a doomsday cultist loose in Ivalice with enough knowledge, aether and faith to whistle up a Primal of Ultima instead of just.. you know.. tearing open a hole to the Void, you really gotta wonder whose side he was really on.

EDIT: I almost want to imagine that St. Ajora in FFXIV was a Black Mask working for Lahabrea who got a little close to the fumes the Heart was giving off and ran off to spread their new religion.

Gearhead fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 3, 2023

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I gotta say even though I know it’s a retcon the idea of Lahabrea being completely hosed in the head and gradually blurring Zodiark and Athena together over 10000 years is really cool

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Chillgamesh posted:

I gotta say even though I know it’s a retcon the idea of Lahabrea being completely hosed in the head and gradually blurring Zodiark and Athena together over 10000 years is really cool

It fits well with the theme of the other two Unsundered.

Emet-Selch was forced to tear down everything he created and design flawed things intended to self destruct.
Elidibus lost everything about himself other than the IDEA that he had sworn an oath to 'save the world.'

Lahabrea lost himself in the minds of his own victims was torn to pieces by the very forces he tried to exploit, and died screaming, his plans finally having spiraled far beyond of his control.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Dr Pepper posted:

Honestly I bet it's the other way around. With Answers being uses as a starting point for the stories themes.

Answers was written for 1.0 before yoshi-p came on board and the entire Dalamud/Bahamut storyline was conceived, so there was a little bit of the tail wagging the dog given that the game's main orchestral theme was written before the game's story.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

gtrmp posted:

Answers was written for 1.0 before yoshi-p came on board and the entire Dalamud/Bahamut storyline was conceived, so there was a little bit of the tail wagging the dog given that the game's main orchestral theme was written before the game's story.

Answers is so drat powerful that not calling back to it is basically insanity, but it was also the lietmotif of what became the Hydelain vs Zodiark story and the tragedy of the Ancients.

I wouldn't be shocked if 6.5 ends with another extremely powerful song that becomes a new lietmotif going forward into the new arc... hopefully without the entire world getting nuked by a rage dragon.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I personally don't see the whole "LAHABREA WAS SECRETLY/INADVERTENTLY WORSHIPPING ATHENA" theory as making any sense.

It seems likely that Emet didn't know about the Heart of Sabik, which is why he theorized that Lahabrea was giving himself brain damage with constant bodyswaps.

More than likely, the Heart just kept jacking up his "Commence the Rejoinings" ambition to the point that it made him the barely hinged zealot we know from ARR/HW, especially given that the Unsundered were operating under some degree of Tempering, so Labs was getting it from two different sources.

Gearhead posted:

Answers is so drat powerful that not calling back to it is basically insanity, but it was also the lietmotif of what became the Hydelain vs Zodiark story and the tragedy of the Ancients.

I wouldn't be shocked if 6.5 ends with another extremely powerful song that becomes a new lietmotif going forward into the new arc... hopefully without the entire world getting nuked by a rage dragon.

I don't disagree, but drat, I can't imagine how they can top Answers for pure raw power.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

the_steve posted:

I don't disagree, but drat, I can't imagine how they can top Answers for pure raw power.

:hmmyes:

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

the_steve posted:

I personally don't see the whole "LAHABREA WAS SECRETLY/INADVERTENTLY WORSHIPPING ATHENA" theory as making any sense.

We see where over time Elidibus started to lose his grip on what he was doing, it's not a huge leap to think that Lahabrea's loyalties might have been divided, consciously or unconsciously. I don't think it's an accident that the Lucavi are presented as a serious problem every time they show up.

the_steve posted:

Answers has the added weight of all the other things that we associate with it, any new leitmotif would need to grow into that.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I keep thinking I like Answers, but then I realize I'm just thinking of Dragonsong and literally can't remember what Answers sounds like beyond a part thar goes 'ANSWERS, O ANSWERS'

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Cleretic posted:

I keep thinking I like Answers, but then I realize I'm just thinking of Dragonsong and literally can't remember what Answers sounds like beyond a part thar goes 'ANSWERS, O ANSWERS'

So you don't remember any of Answers, got it.

(Real talk, you probably just misheard the end of the second chanting section which has "(Hear) Answer (Look) Answer (Think) Answer Together" as the lyric. This is the only time the word Answer is used in the song.)

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

the_steve posted:

Do you know La Hee?

Cleretic posted:

I don't even remember that part. I literally have no memeory of the song.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
A refresher for people who can't remember

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-flsT6LWwY

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Oh. That one. I sometimes hear it when I go into my FC's house, but I don't pay it much attention.

Also, why are Ardbert and his gang fighting on the source?

Also also: I thought he said in ShB that the rest of his party died, but he wasn't allowed to, so why do we have to fight them in the Role Quests?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

sweet geek swag posted:

So you don't remember any of Answers, got it.

(Real talk, you probably just misheard the end of the second chanting section which has "(Hear) Answer (Look) Answer (Think) Answer Together" as the lyric. This is the only time the word Answer is used in the song.)

Yeah, that sounds about right. I think that's the part that plays for the end of Venat's walk, which is basically the only time I actually recognized 'oh yeah this is Answers probably'.

Kheldarn posted:

Also, why are Ardbert and his gang fighting on the source?

Also also: I thought he said in ShB that the rest of his party died, but he wasn't allowed to, so why do we have to fight them in the Role Quests?

...do you actually play this game?

Ardbert and company are based on the trailer crew, that was the entire joke of their first appearance. And we fought them in the role quest because they were sin eater zombies.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

https://twitter.com/goldfishu/status/1665151674384629762?s=46&t=8qKeRz1MPwpnqaU9WYBJgg

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, that sounds about right. I think that's the part that plays for the end of Venat's walk, which is basically the only time I actually recognized 'oh yeah this is Answers probably'.

...do you actually play this game?

Ardbert and company are based on the trailer crew, that was the entire joke of their first appearance. And we fought them in the role quest because they were sin eater zombies.

To add onto this, they ALL died, including Ardbert. It was their souls that the rest of them gave to help stop the Flood when Ardbert wasn't permitted to. They all had to die as "renunciation of the flesh" in order to use the same method the Ascians use to travel between shards, so they could come to the Source to try and push toward a Calamity so they could force a Rejoining of the First instead of just obliteration via Flood Of Light

The reason Ardbert's body wasn't also made a Sin Eater Zombie was because there were... other plans for his body.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 4, 2023

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It's the one that goes 'To all of my children, there's a sale on at Macy's" or something like that

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Dragonsong keeps slipping off my mind like it was an oily mass. I always think of Heavensward or Heroes first when I try to think of the melody or vocals.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's the one that goes 'To all of my children, there's a sale on at Macy's" or something like that

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

hopeandjoy posted:

He also first shows up to the plot to go “ooh if you just understood we could work together” at Minfillia and the WoL. It’s just that he never revisited that again until the WoL starting killing Ascians and his opinion eventually changed to “wait gently caress they killed Lahabrea OH gently caress YOU YOU KILLED EMET-SELCH”.

He was starting his normal hero manipulating thing but in the process accidentally let slip the first hint of how to murder Ascians for real to a group that both knew what Ascians were and were smart enough to start formulating.

One of the things is that I feel like it's not by accident? He pretty much organized the situation for us to be able to watch that Sahaguin Priest get absorbed by Leviathan, which directly led to the realization. I wonder if perhaps he wanted to use us to eliminate ascians that were troublesome? (Possibly Lahabrea)

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Elidibus is genuinely pissed at us in the ShB patches for killing Lahabrea (and Emet) even if he thinks Lahabrea is often a moron. I don’t think he ever meant for us to figure out how to kill unsundered. Killing sundered I think happened decently often (Ardbert and crew managed to get two without even trapping them first), but you can just find the next reincarnation and uplift them.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Shogeton posted:

One of the things is that I feel like it's not by accident? He pretty much organized the situation for us to be able to watch that Sahaguin Priest get absorbed by Leviathan, which directly led to the realization. I wonder if perhaps he wanted to use us to eliminate ascians that were troublesome? (Possibly Lahabrea)

His plan at that stage was probably to try to ultimately recruit us as Black Masks. 'I just need to show these lesser creatures what we're doing to save everyone and they'll join up. We're really just alike, trying to save the world, they just don't UNDERSTAND.'

At this point in the plot we were still seeing a lot of Lesser Arcana/Black Mask Ascians, which vanished around the time it came to light we could kill them for real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

hopeandjoy posted:

Elidibus is genuinely pissed at us in the ShB patches for killing Lahabrea (and Emet) even if he thinks Lahabrea is often a moron. I don’t think he ever meant for us to figure out how to kill unsundered. Killing sundered I think happened decently often (Ardbert and crew managed to get two without even trapping them first), but you can just find the next reincarnation and uplift them.

Yes. In a way I think they were in an arms race there, with each rejoining they weakened Hydaelyn and strengthened Zodiark, but they were also making the mortals of the Source stronger each time. At least at the kind of aetheric combat needed to really fight them.