Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

also lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

This might be a fun read, comes out September 7th

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Masterpiece-Disarray-David-Lynchs-History/dp/1948221292/

Kindle version or a 1st edition red-edged hardback.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

saw spider-verse 2. it's v good

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

haveblue posted:

there was a comic book that functioned as a direct sequel to the thing. in it childs eventually became a thing but at the point I stopped reading it wasn't clear (to me at least) whether he had been a thing at the end of the movie or if he got thinged during the comic story

i think you got thinged by reading it

but seriously that tweet is the only sequel

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
all of strange new worlds season 1 is up in youtube until june 30 (season 2 starts june 15)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ51gV0t6yM

us only unfortunately. rest here https://trekmovie.com/2023/05/31/watch-all-of-star-trek-strange-new-worlds-season-1-available-for-free-on-youtube-in-usa/

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Carthag Tuek posted:

i think you got thinged by reading it

but seriously that tweet is the only sequel

i know there was a video game where you come to the base and investigate what happened to the cast of the movie

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
there was also a movie about what happened at the norwegian base

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

haveblue posted:

there was also a movie about what happened at the norwegian base

I've seen that, it's a good documentary

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

real hot take here: "the thing 2: before the thing" has some excellent scenes and a few good actors but the computer graphics suck and i was way impressed by the practical effects i saw in cut scenes

such is life when you are older than 30

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

the prequel not being as good makes it decent for watching along with the original. it's like a long film that gets better

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Agile Vector posted:

the prequel not being as good makes it decent for watching along with the original. it's like a long film that gets better

yeah! i should try that actually *queueing the internet*! i dont think its a bad movie, its just got that a steep hill to reach

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i think i'm going to do the same. it's been a while since i watched them back-to-back and it's a good excuse to see the original again!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

im watching it and i hate to make a break to post but what a knuckleheaded decision it is to have a tense scene where a chopper is going or maybe not and who knows who know swhat, and then monster stuff happens explicitly in the chopper and then in just kinda crashes over the horizon (according to sound and smoke)

pro tip: show up to the monster scene maybe a half sec of weird, but smash cut to the others reacting to the chopper going down. nothing more, nothing less imo.

you can even do the whole scene from the cockpit, looking down on the people reacting

the world is your stage, please dont make bad computer graphics and then just pretend to blow up a helicopter without actually showing any explosions at all

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jun 2, 2023

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i am enjoying kleo on netflix; it is very silly

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
mlyp

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

rjmccall posted:

i am enjoying kleo on netflix; it is very silly

yeah I liked that one, similar energy to killing eve. her “roommate” has an incredible arc

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
finally went to go see Suzume on basically the last night it was showing after dragging my heels for the last two weeks. an hour in, the fire alarm goes off and we have to evacuate. all screenings that night are cancelled.

saw some dude all done up in skin tight Spider-Man gear for the premiere of spider verse 2. that one looks like fun.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/maneworld1/status/1664499518916931586?s=46&t=aXw7W5TiwDaOVtqp-9FOLA

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
paramount should hire this guy, really nailed the era's vfx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1WlpDqYwzw

e: this is cool too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaPLbgHfw44

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 3, 2023

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

yes

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

llllllmao

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

idgi

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
you're missing out

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lmao Texas Chainsaw Massacre outtake

Oops!

mystes
May 31, 2006

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lmao Texas Chainsaw Massacre outtake

Oops!

not sure why that's an outtake when it looks like they're doing a perfectly good job massacring a chainsaw in that image

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

My favorite thing about TCM is that it's not really super gory or bloody but you come away with the impression that it was

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

TOOT BOOT posted:

My favorite thing about TCM is that it's not really super gory or bloody but you come away with the impression that it was

god, that meat hook though

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
redline (dubbed) is free on tubi, at least in canada. what a time to be alive

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

TOOT BOOT posted:

the spastic convulsions when the guy got brained with a sledgehammer still haunt me

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
moveis i wathced on my long flight, and my review:

hunt : insane korean spy film that's quasi-historic and based on the dictatorship and some true events. if you're gonna watch it dont read up on the plot beforehand, go in fresh. but also watch the president's last bang, its better

decibel : this movie was dumb and very melodramatic. lots of bombs go off but magically dont kill anyone?

three thousand years of longing: this movie was ok though the framing device in modern times was kinda silly. also teh british scholar being named "alithea" lmao gently caress off

black adam : the balance of power in the dc universe has changed.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

mystes posted:

not sure why that's an outtake when it looks like they're doing a perfectly good job massacring a chainsaw in that image
that scene took place in Connecticut so they had to cut it

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

bump_fn posted:

three thousand years of longing: this movie was ok though the framing device in modern times was kinda silly. also teh british scholar being named "alithea" lmao gently caress off

wanted to see this (george miller film!) but honestly gently caress tilda swinton completely

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
last night's feature: K-19: The Widowmaker

Hey its another one of those movies they don't make any more that I like! No dubstep drops, no matrix camera, no strobe lights.

A pretty straightforward The-Politburo-hosed-With-The-Contractors-And-This-Thing's-A-Piece-Of-poo poo nuke sub story. Harrison and Liam's accent attempts are stupid but kinda funny. Everybody else just talks normally. Evidently the guts of the story - including the repair attempt - are fairly accurate to the real K-19 happenings.

Good camera work, some pretty interesting shots. CGI is 2002 par for the course. Reasonably pro-commie despite all the preventable disasters on the boat.

Verdict: 3/5 stars, a few mins longer than it should have been, BUT would be an excellent rainy sunday couch flop film.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i feel like modern movie fight scenes annoy me a lot. the camera swings more than the actors

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

Evidently the guts of the story - including the repair attempt - are fairly accurate to the real K-19 happenings.

i have always appreciated that movie for having the most accurate metal cutting/welding scene.

first they need to cut out the damaged pipe, so they roll in an oxyacetylene rig correctly equipped with a cutting torch and slice out the piece. then they need to weld in a new pipe, so they actually switch to a stick welder and even show a proper scratch-start!

so many movies just have the actor point a propane torch at the general area with a sparkler going for effects and it does whatever the story needs. k-19 iss maybe the only time i've seen a movie not only acknowledge that welding and cutting are two different processes that use different tools, but also show a cutting head on the torch used for cutting instead of a welding head, and demonstrate proper arc welding technique. it's refreshing

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hahahah i so noticed that too. hell yeah

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i'm halfway through strange new worlds and i like it quite a lot. it's cheerful and fun and mostly episodic with reasonable stakes (e.g. "the ship is badly damaged" vs THE BIGGEST BADDEST GALACTIC THREAT EVER) and the ship is bright and shiny and you can see things and the characters are all pretty good.

good star trek. certainly the best of the current live action series. close second to lower decks

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I really like SNW to the point that i havent watched the last 2 eps of S1 yet, waiting a week or so

Parallel watching Discovery and everybody's takes are pretty accurate on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

last night's feature: K-19: The Widowmaker

Hey its another one of those movies they don't make any more that I like! No dubstep drops, no matrix camera, no strobe lights.

A pretty straightforward The-Politburo-hosed-With-The-Contractors-And-This-Thing's-A-Piece-Of-poo poo nuke sub story. Harrison and Liam's accent attempts are stupid but kinda funny. Everybody else just talks normally. Evidently the guts of the story - including the repair attempt - are fairly accurate to the real K-19 happenings.

Good camera work, some pretty interesting shots. CGI is 2002 par for the course. Reasonably pro-commie despite all the preventable disasters on the boat.

Verdict: 3/5 stars, a few mins longer than it should have been, BUT would be an excellent rainy sunday couch flop film.

I love sub movies but this one just felt kinda flat for me. I think the two leads just don't work in their roles, even beyond the accents. OTOH they do make the reactor genuinely scary. 3/5 is fair I guess