Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Someone points a gun at you, they call the police. If a bunch of guys are pointing guns at you, you call SWAT. If they're dressed in spandex and pointing a super laser at you, you call the OSI. And if they're dressed regular and pointing a super laser at your daughter, that's when you call S.P.H.I.N.X.

SPHINX!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

LividLiquid posted:

I really don't think it'll fit into the narrative unless it's jam-packed with resolutions like All This And Gargantua 2 was, but I really, really hope they undo detransitioning Hunter.

That really served no purpose. It was never once explained. He clearly doesn't like it.

My assumption is that the main purpose was, "drat we really gotta stop doing trans jokes." I feel like they stumbled rear end-backwards into a weirdly sensitive detransition storyline, Hunter clearly wants to be a woman but is too entrenched in his old life and his duty to the OSI to feel like he's able to. But it would truly warm my transsexual heart to let Hunter transition again.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

AlternateNu posted:

Someone points a gun at you, they call the police. If a bunch of guys are pointing guns at you, you call SWAT. If they're dressed in spandex and pointing a super laser at you, you call the OSI. And if they're dressed regular and pointing a super laser at your daughter, that's when you call S.P.H.I.N.X.

SPHINX!

SPHINX!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Sit on my Jace posted:

My assumption is that the main purpose was, "drat we really gotta stop doing trans jokes." I feel like they stumbled rear end-backwards into a weirdly sensitive detransition storyline, Hunter clearly wants to be a woman but is too entrenched in his old life and his duty to the OSI to feel like he's able to. But it would truly warm my transsexual heart to let Hunter transition again.

Seriously hoping this is how Hunter's story ends.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Sit on my Jace posted:

My assumption is that the main purpose was, "drat we really gotta stop doing trans jokes."

I would be utterly astounded if there was anything more to it than this. See also: Hatred and his boobs.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

If you need an in universe explanation probably something around no women no children rule and it not being fair if they can't fight back according to his honor code.

I think it was purely Hunter's choice for all the wrong reasons.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I know other trans people who really hated the Hunter stuff and felt like it was mocking us, but for me, the moment Brock doesn't kill him (her? the pronouns are weird here) because "no women, no children" applied to Hunter, I was all in.

They didn't do it all perfectly by any stretch, but she was accepted as a woman by the closest thing the show has to a straight man from the jump and I super appreciated that.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I've always been a little afraid of what a trans reading of the Venture Bros would look like, even if I would definitely agree with the criticisms .

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
if they never detransitioned Hunter we wouldn't get the absolutely atrocious/incredible "You don't know dick" crotch grab scene end stinger line

so really it's a land of contrasts

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

uber_stoat posted:

he did! got it on vinyl.

And is the Dr. Orpheus music is on that album? I have very... particular requirements...

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

DACK FAYDEN posted:

if they never detransitioned Hunter we wouldn't get the absolutely atrocious/incredible "You don't know dick" crotch grab scene end stinger line

I really don't think one joke is worth what they did, but fine. Do it temporarily for secret agent reasons so you get your joke, but don't stick with it, all the while making jokes about how she misses being her real self.

They corrected "oh, poo poo we might be offending trans people" by doing something far, far worse.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

None of the OSI people get to be their real selves. That's the trade off with being a super secret agent and why Brock was a mess that time he rode that pink dolphin

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

And is the Dr. Orpheus music is on that album? I have very... particular requirements...

unfortunately no. you could go send Thirlwell a message and ask him to put it on the third one (which hopefully gets made soon).

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Or the literal dick measuring contest between Hunter and Phantom Limb

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Sash! posted:

None of the OSI people get to be their real selves. That's the trade off with being a super secret agent and why Brock was a mess that time he rode that pink dolphin

You know how I said that smell was the garbage? It was my rear end. I had tandoori for lunch.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

drrockso20 posted:

Or the literal dick measuring contest between Hunter and Phantom Limb

The all time best one sided conversation ever put to media.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Sash! posted:

hot dolphin!

Prescott
May 16, 2023

I’m reading the Bible so I can teach the zombies about Heaven.
I don’t believe Shore Leave and Mike High could spend so long being ironic Christians without seeing how easier their thoughts lay when they bend their minds in that direction.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Prescott posted:

I don’t believe Shore Leave and Mike High could spend so long being ironic Christians without seeing how easier their thoughts lay when they bend their minds in that direction.

Mile High iirc still goes by Sky Pilot and seems implied to have kept at least some of the beliefs, while Shore Leave gladly went back to his old style.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Mile High iirc still goes by Sky Pilot and seems implied to have kept at least some of the beliefs, while Shore Leave gladly went back to his old style.

Knowing VB, it's 50/50 whether this was intentional or them forgetting what his original codename was, and almost 100% that if any attention is ever shone on it as a joke or character beat it will an informative piece of his character.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Haha I was watching a GI Joe clip yesterday with a buddy and neither of us had seen the show before. One of the Joe's shows up and he's like "oh that's the only one I know, Shore Leave" and I was pretty sure that was the Venture Bros one. Still don't know the other guys name lol

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

How do you not know Cobra Commander? He has a freaking cobra theme.

I now want a GI Joe / Venture bro cross over show somehow. (Mini series maybe)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Khanstant posted:

Haha I was watching a GI Joe clip yesterday with a buddy and neither of us had seen the show before. One of the Joe's shows up and he's like "oh that's the only one I know, Shore Leave" and I was pretty sure that was the Venture Bros one. Still don't know the other guys name lol

His name is Ship Wreck

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Sash! posted:

It's not a documentary.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

pixaal posted:

How do you not know Cobra Commander? He has a freaking cobra theme.

I now want a GI Joe / Venture bro cross over show somehow. (Mini series maybe)

The Pyramid Wars are strongly implied to literally be the events of the GI Joe TV show, just with more war crimes. The kickoff is literally the year the GI Joe cartoon first aired.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The two episodes of GI Joe I watched were totally insane. It would've been a fun watch if they made it fun, but I think a lot of it is weird censorship and I'm sure abysmally underpaid animators

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

LividLiquid posted:

I know other trans people who really hated the Hunter stuff and felt like it was mocking us, but for me, the moment Brock doesn't kill him (her? the pronouns are weird here) because "no women, no children" applied to Hunter, I was all in.

They didn't do it all perfectly by any stretch, but she was accepted as a woman by the closest thing the show has to a straight man from the jump and I super appreciated that.

Thanks for this, that's a perspective I'd never seen it from and it's kind of a sweet moment from that point of view. It's cool to hear that they got some stuff right. I remember doing a series rewatch a couple years ago and being a little shocked at some of the humor back then.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Khanstant posted:

The two episodes of GI Joe I watched were totally insane. It would've been a fun watch if they made it fun, but I think a lot of it is weird censorship and I'm sure abysmally underpaid animators

I revisited a few episodes recently (while very high) and it fuckin' ruled. I had low expectations going in, with it just being a big toy commercial—and especially after revisiting a Transformers episode and finding that pretty dire—but it was super fun. Paced like an action movie, filled with really cool designs, great background art, and just incredibly over-the-top James Bond stories cranked up to 15. Sure, the dialogue and plotting are aimed at 8 year olds, but it was a real good time as background noise.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Khanstant posted:

It’s often strangely grotesque and a little sexual in ways that seems deliberate, at least to me. There’s an episode where the Baroness spends the whole runtime in a bikini and high heels because she’s kidnapped out of a department store change room, but she could have been kidnapped from like the grocery store or her house and the plot would be exactly the same.

Some things are probably censorship, but there’s a lot of people being tormented by weird blob monsters of various kinds, more than you’d expect.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

feedmyleg posted:

I revisited a few episodes recently (while very high) and it fuckin' ruled. I had low expectations going in, with it just being a big toy commercial—and especially after revisiting a Transformers episode and finding that pretty dire—but it was super fun. Paced like an action movie, filled with really cool designs, great background art, and just incredibly over-the-top James Bond stories cranked up to 15. Sure, the dialogue and plotting are aimed at 8 year olds, but it was a real good time as background noise.

Fun thing, a few cameos both earlier and later suggest the 80s GI Joe and Transformers take place in the same universe, even before 'Old Snake'. (yes, two decades before MGS4)

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

feedmyleg posted:

Going back and trying some G1 Transformers as someone who grew up with Beast Wars made me even more confused about how much G1 fans hated Beast Wars at the time.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

holefoods posted:

Going back and trying some G1 Transformers as someone who grew up with Beast Wars made me even more confused about how much G1 fans hated Beast Wars at the time.

Nostalgia poisoning is a helluva drug.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I AM GRANDO posted:

It’s often strangely grotesque and a little sexual in ways that seems deliberate, at least to me. There’s an episode where the Baroness spends the whole runtime in a bikini and high heels because she’s kidnapped out of a department store change room, but she could have been kidnapped from like the grocery store or her house and the plot would be exactly the same.

Wasn’t Lady Jaye the one kidnapped from a changing room? And the episode with the Baroness in a bikini was the ridiculous Gamesmaster one when he kidnapped Flint, Lady Jaye, the Baroness and Cobra Commander?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Cacafuego posted:

Wasn’t Lady Jaye the one kidnapped from a changing room? And the episode with the Baroness in a bikini was the ridiculous Gamesmaster one when he kidnapped Flint, Lady Jaye, the Baroness and Cobra Commander?

I was thinking of that episode but misremembered how the Baroness gets there. She is at the tanning salon in a bikini. Lady Jaye is kidnapped out of a change room but is fully dressed. I still think it’s all some light pervert stuff. Even as a kid I thought it was weird that Destro wears a gimp mask.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
the entire history of media is "how can i get my pervert poo poo in front of as many people as possible"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

I AM GRANDO posted:

Some things are probably censorship, but there’s a lot of people being tormented by weird blob monsters of various kinds, more than you’d expect.

I guess that post sounded more negative than I meant, I more meant you could tell they could get real weird and wild avante garde if they were unchained. The censorship bit I was thinking of was a fight scene where all of the shoes were defeated... Because cobra guy knocked over wooden crates stacked high the Joe's were standing near.

But yeah the goofy way takeovers and disguises and twists are revealed is silly in a good way. One of the ones I watched was a classic giant food/plant attsck cartoon episode every show should get eventually.

I should revisit as a background show, a lot of the voice work was really surprising for the characters.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Cobra TV episode from what I've seen is absolutely hilarious and a pretty blatant bite back at the censorship they were working under.

Also just realising that the SPHINX reunion episode is basically the same thing Transformers did of the remnants of a shattered and beaten supervillain group and their washed-up former leader trying to get one last hurrah, from what I understand.

Also a lot about the Bayformers movies makes sense with the idea he actually watched G1 for inspiration, that show is ridiculous. There's actually a fair few human villains, and actually credibly dangerous ones to a degree you wouldn't see again in the franchise (the cartoons at least) til the movies (lol Frasier) and Transformers Prime.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 4, 2023

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Nikumatic posted:

the entire history of media is "how can i get my pervert poo poo in front of as many people as possible"

One thing I've seen repeatedly, regardless of the content the studio makes, is there often seems to be stories of storyboard guys getting bored and making dirty versions of an episode/property. Apparently there's a rugrats one that would make you want to clean your brain with bleach. There's the infamous Dexter's Lab one, and I'd be shocked if John K never did it. He did do....other things.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Yeah animation has inoffensive creeps like Genndy Tartakovsky and Paul Dini who just love ladies with gigantic asses and will let you know at any opportunity and that’s it. But there are also horrible creeps like Justin Roiland, that Loud House guy and John K. The problem is When you read about an animator you never know which one you’re gonna get!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I AM GRANDO posted:

I'm sure cartoons had no influence on the part where the Venn diagram of "what I find attractive" and "Baroness" is a circle. Not at all, none.