Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

If you're willing to settle for a high-quality refurb instead of a brand new system, you could keep an eye on jbone's SAMart thread where they sell handhelds. I've bought from them personally and would do it again. Doesn't look like they have one in stock right now, but if you drop a post in there you can probably get put on a waiting list for when they have one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

drilldo squirt posted:

So what's a good place to buy a new new 2dsxl that's not a scam?

You're a bit late to find a NOS one not at a significant premium, the good news is that the n2DSXL is probably one of Nintendo's more hard-wearing modern portables. I hoovered up probably a half-dozen of them on Marketplace during the pandemic (to get the games they came with, often sold really cheap by disinterested parents as a "Nintendo DS") and even the obviously kid-owned systems had barely any wear.

Down to my last one to sell now, AUD$250 seems to be a fair price for one, but you can find them for less.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Is there anywhere to get a replacement back panel that actually matches the NTSC-U red color new 3ds XLs? the plastic around the screws has broken and while the back stays on fine it looks bad. I tried a few off of aliexpress and they didn't actually fit, and the only other close ones I can find are the NTSC-J model red color which isn't the same but wouldn't be terrible to replace with if it's my only option. May just go for one of those monster hunter grips to cover the back too but wanted to see if there was a seller I might have missed first.

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

Was hoping I could get some insight on a hardware issue. I tried to clean the button contacts on the button board and ended up damaging the ribbon cable connecting it to the main board. This caused the console to only power on when connected to a charging cable. However, the issue persists after replacing the cable. Preliminary research shows that the entire button board or the charging IC chip may need to be replaced. Any other ideas or recommendations?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Currently I have a New3DS XL. I've had it since it came out, it runs great and I love it, yada yada. I have no issues with buttons or 3D or battery life or screen or anything. All that said, is there anything I should do for it, like buy additional batteries and such, to extend its life? I understand they are sailing out of the realm of "supported hardware" by Nintendo and would like to keep up with preventative maintenance. It is currently a fantastic little portable Zelda and Pokemon console.

Edit: While I'm asking, might as well ask the same question for my Wii-U. I have both my Wii-U and Switch hooked to my TV, and use my Wii-U to play Wii-U/Wii games and take advantage of games on its older virtual console like all the old Zelda and Fire Emblem games. So same question: anything I should do for preventative maintenance on the Wii-U?

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

chaosapiant posted:

Currently I have a New3DS XL. I've had it since it came out, it runs great and I love it, yada yada. I have no issues with buttons or 3D or battery life or screen or anything. All that said, is there anything I should do for it, like buy additional batteries and such, to extend its life? I understand they are sailing out of the realm of "supported hardware" by Nintendo and would like to keep up with preventative maintenance. It is currently a fantastic little portable Zelda and Pokemon console.

Edit: While I'm asking, might as well ask the same question for my Wii-U. I have both my Wii-U and Switch hooked to my TV, and use my Wii-U to play Wii-U/Wii games and take advantage of games on its older virtual console like all the old Zelda and Fire Emblem games. So same question: anything I should do for preventative maintenance on the Wii-U?

Any extra batteries will still have to be occasionally charged or they will just degrade too; replace the battery if needed yeah, but keeping a spare in reserve would be a pain imo, but maybe that's worth it to you.

I'm going to assume in the future there will be at least some third party batteries available, or there will be the Analogue 3DS, or I just wont care anymore about playing the games.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

PlushCow posted:

Any extra batteries will still have to be occasionally charged or they will just degrade too; replace the battery if needed yeah, but keeping a spare in reserve would be a pain imo, but maybe that's worth it to you.

I'm going to assume in the future there will be at least some third party batteries available, or there will be the Analogue 3DS, or I just wont care anymore about playing the games.

That's kind what I was thinking anyway. Speaking of batteries, I have a bad habit of keeping my 3DS plugged in at all times, sometimes up to a few months if I don't touch it. I'm assuming the answer is "yes," but I should be letting this thing discharge once in a while, right?

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

chaosapiant posted:

That's kind what I was thinking anyway. Speaking of batteries, I have a bad habit of keeping my 3DS plugged in at all times, sometimes up to a few months if I don't touch it. I'm assuming the answer is "yes," but I should be letting this thing discharge once in a while, right?

Yeah let it discharge once in a while but not to zero. When I'm regularly using mine Ill recharge when the indicator goes red but every once in a while Ill wait until its flashing red, no more beyond that though.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Is it possible to extract the save from a GBC virtual concole title running on a 3DS for use with a PC emulator?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Yeah you can do it through god mode if I’m not mistaken. I forget the specific steps though

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

chaosapiant posted:

My favourite 3DS purchase has been a cheap third party dock from AliExpress (same thing would be available on eBay/Amazon at a slight markup), my n3DS XL lives on my desk and I'll pick it up for a quick burst of playing whenever the mood strikes me.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Ethics_Gradient posted:

My favourite 3DS purchase has been a cheap third party dock from AliExpress (same thing would be available on eBay/Amazon at a slight markup), my n3DS XL lives on my desk and I'll pick it up for a quick burst of playing whenever the mood strikes me.

That’s not a bad idea. Maybe then I’ll finish the Link Between Worlds game I started in 2014.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The other day I was playing on my 3DS while WFH, dropped it and it hit the railing of my work desk. There’s a black smudge on the bottom of the top screen now from what I’m assuming is the liquid crystal getting out of whack. Is that something reasonable to fix or have repaired?

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

chaosapiant posted:

The other day I was playing on my 3DS while WFH, dropped it and it hit the railing of my work desk. There’s a black smudge on the bottom of the top screen now from what I’m assuming is the liquid crystal getting out of whack. Is that something reasonable to fix or have repaired?

If it's a New 3DS XL I think that's one Nintendo still offers repairs itself on https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/716/~/repairing-your-nintendo-3ds-family-system

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

It is a New 3DS XL, so I’ll check out the link. Thank you!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

From what I have seen, taking apart a 3DS is a whole surgeon-like procedure. Not fun, even if you know what you are doing (which I don't). Hope Nintendo can fix yours.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

It’s only the bottom left corner, it’s not too bad at all. So I can live with it. But still annoying.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Apologies if this has been talked to death, but does anybody know if it's safe to install the new update if you have a modded 3ds?

I really don't want to out of nervousness about it, but the constant loving notifications are driving me up the wall.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

Apologies if this has been talked to death, but does anybody know if it's safe to install the new update if you have a modded 3ds?

I really don't want to out of nervousness about it, but the constant loving notifications are driving me up the wall.

Here's what the 3DS Hacks Guide says on it:

quote:

3DS firmware 11.17.0 was recently released. Here’s what you should know:
  • If your console is running Luma 10.2.1 or higher, it is 100% safe to update. You can check your Luma version by holding (Select) while booting your console.
  • If your console is on an older Luma version, you should update Luma before you update your console to 11.17.0.
  • If your console does not yet have custom firmware, do NOT update to the latest version unless this guide instructs you to.
  • If your unmodified console is ALREADY on 11.17.0, this guide has been updated accordingly. Specifically, New3DS-family consoles have a free software method, while Old3DS-family consoles will need to use alternate exploits that rely on external hardware or software.

For the record, I did the update just fine.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 23, 2023

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Thank you!

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I am kind of worried that this new version has some secret payload that won’t activate until sometime in the future. Like, what was the point of this update?

CFW needs an option to remove the stupid update prompt every startup.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Shots fired
https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1672288633703809024?t=Ym3TYVl8aX7PYL-PCqE2Ew&s=19

I still need to do a first-time mod of my 3DS :( Haven't downloaded the latest firmware at least!

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

"Hard Drive" posted:

Can I make a confession? I really like the 3D on the 3DS. I’m using a 3DS XL and they really improved the technology to where it only gives me minor eye strain instead of feeling like my eyes are going to pop out of my skull and roll away. There’s something to the feature that just feels futuristic.
:emptyquote:

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Playing Bangai-o Spirits, still :krad:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

beer gas canister posted:

Playing Bangai-o Spirits, still :krad:

I never did understand how to play that game well.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
There are a few tricks to remember. Dash into enemies to knock them around. Make sure to use the "hover and shoot" method often by holding fire after you start moving. Every level is different and presented in essentially random order, so don't hesitate to back out of a tough one and try again later.

Also I just noticed for the first time that the Select button turns on the level editor in any level, even if you're not in the editor mode! You can mod levels on the fly if you get stuck, or give yourself infinite health and ammo, to pick apart the challenge at hand.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

beer gas canister posted:

There are a few tricks to remember. Dash into enemies to knock them around. Make sure to use the "hover and shoot" method often by holding fire after you start moving. Every level is different and presented in essentially random order, so don't hesitate to back out of a tough one and try again later.

Also I just noticed for the first time that the Select button turns on the level editor in any level, even if you're not in the editor mode! You can mod levels on the fly if you get stuck, or give yourself infinite health and ammo, to pick apart the challenge at hand.

I remember running through the tutorial and then the first three levels I tried were just a big gently caress you. I tried some different stages and just lost instantly in all of them so I chalked it down as another Battletoads, put it down, and never returned to it.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Some levels are wild and sloppy, others are basically puzzles. The programmers put Bangai-o together with systems first, with a robust level editor, then a bunch of people at Treasure including Maegawa contributed the levels. You never know what type of level you're playing until it starts, because diversity of design within a batshit game engine is the goal.

Also consider the charge blasts your primary weapon, and use the focus function often. Try a lot of different weapon combos and figure out what's appropriate for the task - there are usually many solutions, though some are more rigid.

The main programmer, Yaiman, started the Bangai-o series as a personal project aimed at throttling the system to a crawl with sprites and hitboxes, then optimized that system to fit even more bullets on screen. The slowdown is a mechanic.

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jun 27, 2023

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Kind of a niche question, thought I'd ask here:

Can an R4 card (one of those carts with an SD adapter in it) be set up with Luma so that the games and save files reside on it? Or at least the save files?

Was hoping to have the ability to swap between my n3DS XL and non XL so I pick up where I left off in a game on the other console.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Kind of a niche question, thought I'd ask here:

Can an R4 card (one of those carts with an SD adapter in it) be set up with Luma so that the games and save files reside on it? Or at least the save files?

Was hoping to have the ability to swap between my n3DS XL and non XL so I pick up where I left off in a game on the other console.

No. R4 is for DS (the original one) stuff, Luma is the 3DS CFW. Quite different things. Additionally, 3DS saves are encrypted and can't be just moved from a SD card to SD card without a proper exporting/importing tool, which you will need installed like Checkpoint.

Good news is, that's all you need: Checkpoint on both systems and then you can move SD cards between them at any time you like.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Saoshyant posted:

No. R4 is for DS (the original one) stuff, Luma is the 3DS CFW. Quite different things. Additionally, 3DS saves are encrypted and can't be just moved from a SD card to SD card without a proper exporting/importing tool, which you will need installed like Checkpoint.

Good news is, that's all you need: Checkpoint on both systems and then you can move SD cards between them at any time you like.

Ah, I thought I remembered something like that (can't remember what the R4 came with, although from memory I was using it in my n2DS XL?), now that you mention it.

It's nice Checkpoint works like that, but there's no way I'm going to pull out a jewler's screwdriver and remove the bottom plate from my n3DS XL every time I want to move it across (thanks, Nintendo). There's not an adapter that puts an SD card useable my checkpoint in the cartridge slot?

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Ah, I thought I remembered something like that (can't remember what the R4 came with, although from memory I was using it in my n2DS XL?), now that you mention it.

It's nice Checkpoint works like that, but there's no way I'm going to pull out a jewler's screwdriver and remove the bottom plate from my n3DS XL every time I want to move it across (thanks, Nintendo). There's not an adapter that puts an SD card useable my checkpoint in the cartridge slot?

use an FTP app like FTPD to transfer files to and from your computer so you don’t have to take off your bottom plate.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Weirdly, the Vita - which has an accessible media slot - has the adapter to use uSD cards take up the cartridge slot, but the New 3DS - with its stupidly placed inaccessible uSD card slot - doesn't.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Is there any stock or source of new 3ds systems left to buy, or can you only get used at this point?

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

icantfindaname posted:

Is there any stock or source of new 3ds systems left to buy, or can you only get used at this point?

Used is probably your best bet. Ebay's full of them if you're willing to manually filter through all that madness.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Jbone over in SAMart has a few that he's personally refurbished and selling, and I can vouch for the quality of his work and his service.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Finally unlocked my 3DS XL to play some games I missed.

Pokemon Picross is... not good. I really like it when the puzzles actually make something recognizable and it fails at that. Also the reliance of powers for some of the bigger puzzles is not great when you don't have them unlocked yet. Energy is.. fine (I just put it to sleep and pick it up later) but blah.

Radiant Historia getting a re-master! Wish it had 3D, but it does look great on the bigger screen.

I lost my original Zelda Link Between Worlds 3DS on an airplane or a move, so I'm finally getting back into playing LBW and dang its great. Been a fun contrast to TotK.

Any other good recommendations? Especially action or platforming, I feel like that's my blind spot for games on the system.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Nybble posted:

Finally unlocked my 3DS XL to play some games I missed.

Pokemon Picross is... not good. I really like it when the puzzles actually make something recognizable and it fails at that. Also the reliance of powers for some of the bigger puzzles is not great when you don't have them unlocked yet. Energy is.. fine (I just put it to sleep and pick it up later) but blah.

Radiant Historia getting a re-master! Wish it had 3D, but it does look great on the bigger screen.

I lost my original Zelda Link Between Worlds 3DS on an airplane or a move, so I'm finally getting back into playing LBW and dang its great. Been a fun contrast to TotK.

Any other good recommendations? Especially action or platforming, I feel like that's my blind spot for games on the system.

There’s a small handful of games under the Shin Megami Tensei brand if you’re into that. Along with a handful of Etrian Odyssey games.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Ethics_Gradient posted:

There's not an adapter that puts an SD card useable my checkpoint in the cartridge slot?

There are flash cards for 3ds. But they're all considered obsolete at this point. I've still got my Gateway 3DS from before CFW was around but the company that made it went out of business and it doesn't work on the most recent firmware. I wouldn't recommend getting one. Unless your 3DS's are on older firmwares and you don't mind jumping through a bunch of hoops getting the flashcards working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

Anyone have a 3DS transfer take a few tries to actually start? Trying to get one going and it keeps throwing a communication error but online sources have said it's more likely because Nintendo's servers are spuds.