Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Any advice? We have 2 cats 1 we are trying to get to gain weight (about 15yo) the other is supposed to lose weight (about 7yo). The older one we feed the wet food whenever he wants but when he does not finish my husband let's the other larger cat into the room and says "I don't want to make him jealous and just let him eat the left overs."

This infuriates me but I kinda keep it in even after saying do not let him eat it - give him a single greenies or temptations if you think that.".

He (Pound Cake) has already gotten to be back to being a pudgy ball (was 22lbs when we got him, I got him down to 18 lbs, now he is back up to 20lbs).

Good news though the other cat that we were trying to gain weight has gained 0.8lbs, but Pound Cake has grown much more and it ticks me off.

So my basic question is how do I get my husband to stop giving the cat that is on a diet the left overs so he doesn't feel "jealous" (the cat)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I think you need the husband thread for that, unfortunately, not the cat thread.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

There's nothing saying you have to give Catboy Slim an entire tin of wet food at once.

I give my kitty one tin of wet food a week as a treat, but I spread it out over three days to prevent my bedspread from becoming her personal vomitorium. Whatever portion remains on days one and two, I wrap the tin in plastic wrap and store it in the fridge. She seems perfectly happy to dig in to cold wet food instead of room temperature.

It's not guaranteed to stop your spouse from "sharing" the rest of the can with Pound Cake, but it adds a hurdle to it that may be more of a bother to overcome.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Hello Sailor posted:

There's nothing saying you have to give Catboy Slim an entire tin of wet food at once.

I give my kitty one tin of wet food a week as a treat, but I spread it out over three days to prevent my bedspread from becoming her personal vomitorium. Whatever portion remains on days one and two, I wrap the tin in plastic wrap and store it in the fridge. She seems perfectly happy to dig in to cold wet food instead of room temperature.

It's not guaranteed to stop your spouse from "sharing" the rest of the can with Pound Cake, but it adds a hurdle to it that may be more of a bother to overcome.

We need to get squiggles to gain weight because he is old so when he wants to eat he gets to eat. We give him pate wet food because he doesn't really have to chew it. I think I fed him like 6 times today. But Poundy needs to lose more weight and not gain it because if he stays at the same or above he can get diabetes. I think I need to send my husband to human training school daily to make him stop. or maybe tell the vet this stuff and maybe he will listen to her, because he sure as hell won't listen to me.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

nunsexmonkrock posted:

We need to get squiggles to gain weight because he is old so when he wants to eat he gets to eat. We give him pate wet food because he doesn't really have to chew it. I think I fed him like 6 times today. But Poundy needs to lose more weight and not gain it because if he stays at the same or above he can get diabetes. I think I need to send my husband to human training school daily to make him stop. or maybe tell the vet this stuff and maybe he will listen to her, because he sure as hell won't listen to me.

Feed them in separate rooms and take the bowl away when they're done. Small cat gets more meals than fat cat. Your husband needs to realise that the fat cat is not going to get jealous. Please let him (husband, not cat) read these posts, because if he wants Pound Cake to not die he needs to get on board.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

eating only apples posted:

Feed them in separate rooms and take the bowl away when they're done. Small cat gets more meals than fat cat. Your husband needs to realise that the fat cat is not going to get jealous. Please let him (husband, not cat) read these posts, because if he wants Pound Cake to not die he needs to get on board.

Squiggles won't eat the dry food that Pound Cake gets so we feed Squiggles in the office with his pate wet food and then he let's Poundy in to let him get the scraps. I have tried telling him he will not be jealous, just put the left overs in the desk drawer for an hour from now. I'm going to call the vet to give him a chewing out but - memorial day, not sure the next time they will be open when they have weird hours to begin with.

E: this is the place: http://www.citycatvets.com
It use to be called Cat Vet on South Street and we have been going to them for well before I met my husband over 20 years ago.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 03:42 on May 28, 2023

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I don't think most places will be open Monday since it's a national holiday.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I don't know if anyone else uses these brushes that are sort of silicone bristles/cones... https://www.amazon.com/Doggiez-Pet-Supplies-Silicone-Bristles/dp/B0BKMHY6CH

One of my cats absolutely goes ape poo poo for them. I wish I could find a big sheet of the material with all the little cones on it so that I could wrap a leg of the cat tree or even make a rotating cow scratcher brush out of it for her.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My Ragdoll is almost four years old now and he just recently got into the habit of incessantly begging for food which is weird because he has never done this before. I feed him wet food twice a day and usually have some dry food out for him as well if he's hungry in between feedings, but he really doesn't eat much of the dry food anyway.

It's getting to the point that whenever hes not already eating or sleeping he's constantly begging whenever I go near the kitchen where his food is. If I'm sitting down and watching TV for instance, he'll just lay on the couch with me, but as soon as I get up and head anywhere near the kitchen it's beg beg beg. Even if there's already food in his bowl he still does it, like he's been programmed to beg no matter what lol.

I've tried playing with him when he starts in, and of course it distracts him well enough while he's playing, but as soon as play time is over it's right back to the begging :v:

Not sure where it came from because like I said it's a recent behavior, but I'd like to put an end to it as it's getting ridiculous. I have tried taking the bowl away when he's done eating but that didn't work, it seems to me that he associates anyone (mostly me because I feed him) being in or near the kitchen as feeding time so i think it has more to do with that than his bowl being empty.

Any ideas on how to change or at least calm down this behavior would be great.

If this pizza had turkey chunks n gravy on it he'd probably eat it

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 30, 2023

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

If your cat isn't going for the pizza, then you're ahead in the game

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Maybe he doesn't like the food you're giving him? You could try if a different brand or flavour changes the behaviour. If that doesn't work, try to make him not associate begging with getting food, that means only give him food at the appointed time and especially don't give any when he begs (assuming you've made sure the portions are big enough).

Other than that, cats will just sometimes beg for food, there's few things in life they care about and food is one of the more important ones.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I've pretty much figured out what food he likes (flavors, textures) and what he doesn't now, and I give him a pretty good variety so I don't think that's the issue. And when he finishes all of it I put the bowl away but that doesn't seem to matter.

I also feed him at the same times every day. Once in the morning when I get up, then again around 4-5 in the evening.

I've had cats my whole life so I know they like to beg for food, but this time it's just kinda weird cuz it came out of nowhere after years of not doing it and he's very persistent. My other cats would just give up if I ignored them but not this one. My wife is lucky cuz she gets all the snuggles from him and i just get all the whining lol.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
That kind of behavior started for us after one of us gave our cat a little bit lunch meat. We each swear it wasn't us who did it first, and honestly who knows who it was. Maybe a bit of food dropped that we didn't notice and the cat got it and then started begging, and then the lunch meat happened. We'll never know.

But now the kitchen is Possible Food Time! And has been for years.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

clean ayers act posted:

Yesterday, we did the same and the surgery went off without a hitch. Brought him home and... the female is acting like she has never seen this cat. Hissing/growling/and hiding.

I had the same thing happen when one of my cats turned out to have congenital gum disease and had half her teeth removed (so THAT'S why she was never food motivated). Unfortunately her big bully sister never did adjust, we had to keep her in our bedroom and sis downstairs. Hopefully it goes better for you.

Basically she smells WRONG like this is like 'this cat is a zombie from the grave to me' now or something. Imagine if your spouse came back from the hospital and was pale grey and kept talking about braaaaains.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

Need some advice wrt ridding our home and pets of these goddamn FLEAS.

We adopted two stray kittens last fall and other than being a little covered in dirt & dust when we first brought them home, they were initially very clean and flea-free.

A few months ago they stayed with my parents for a weekend and it turned out their dog had fleas that decided to migrate to the cats... My parents' house and dog have been rid of the things for months, but no matter what we do we can't seem to get them off the cats.

So far we have:
- applied frontline to them monthly for 3 months
- brushed them with flea brushes multiple times daily, we always pull off anywhere from 2-10 live fleas from each cat...
- left the house for a few hours and set off flea bombs
- vacuumed every cloth/carpet surface every other day
- given them each a bath with flea shampoo twice

We're kind of stumped as to how to get rid of them at this point...our house is kept quite clean and we haven't noticed any bites on ourselves, or infesting any of our clothes or bedding, but we just cannot seem to get the drat things off of the cats. Any suggestions or things that we may have not tried would be greatly appreciated! The next thing we were going to look into is getting them both flea collars but I've read some mixed things on how well those work and how dangerous they are for the pet...

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Flea collars killed my mom's favorite kitten, please don't use them.

Ask your vet if there's another topical they recommend; flea & ticks can become resistant to them.

Have you tried an insect growth regulator spray for areas around the home? They're safe for mammals and stop the fleas from growing up. Combined with the other work you're doing it may be the break you need.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

As part of your routine, include sticky flea traps. These have a light to attract the fleas, a canopy for them to bounce off, and a glue trap to keep them there. I found them very helpful when getting rid of an infestation. They only help with adult fleas, so it'll take awhile to see the full effect. The brand currently on the market seems to be Terro.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
Buy the box of Borax that is in the laundry detergent section at the store and sprinkle it on all your carpet(s). And then vacuum it up like 24 hours later. If you have hardwood/laminate floors, sprinkle it along the baseboards. Get a flea light too if you have weird spots like under big pieces of furniture.

Revolution has been the only topical flea medication that kills and keeps them away for us. And you can buy it without going to the vet. Canadapetcare.com sells it.

And as for the growth inhibitor, I've used Gentrol Point Source for roaches at work and boy lemme tell ya it works. And it's not a spray, but a disc that just wafts it out there in the air. Says it has a 75 foot spread but I'd probably do two or three in a big enough area. But I'd only use this if Borax wasn't enough.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Revolution is what my vet said works best at killing fleas and worms for a topical. My little grey girl picked up tapeworms from when we got fleas last year and that plus a pill dewormer helped.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Fleas in different parts of the country have different resistances. That's why the vet needs to be called.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jato posted:

Need some advice wrt ridding our home and pets of these goddamn FLEAS.

We adopted two stray kittens last fall and other than being a little covered in dirt & dust when we first brought them home, they were initially very clean and flea-free.

A few months ago they stayed with my parents for a weekend and it turned out their dog had fleas that decided to migrate to the cats... My parents' house and dog have been rid of the things for months, but no matter what we do we can't seem to get them off the cats.

I took mine to the vet and he gave him some kind of injection that turns cat blood into poison for fleas, that's the main thing that helped. Also helps if they're indoors cats or they can just re-acquire them from outside.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I'm having squirrel problems, they're digging up my peppers on my apartment balcony :(

Unfortunately, if I let this fat bastard out, he'd assuredly leap off the balcony, fall 4 stories, and if he lived immediately run into traffic :)

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

Annath posted:

I'm having squirrel problems, they're digging up my peppers on my apartment balcony :(

Unfortunately, if I let this fat bastard out, he'd assuredly leap off the balcony, fall 4 stories, and if he lived immediately run into traffic :)

What a luxurious lad, first chonky tux I've seen and I love him :)

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
He's lucky he's so handsome, because he can be a real pest lol.

Back when I was feeding them dry food, I kept the food in a cabinet next to the stove (floor level).

Since then, he CONSTANTLY paws at that cabinet door, making the most annoying thumping sounds lmao.

It's been months since there was any food in there, and I even leave the cabinet open for them to see it's empty, but any time it's closed... thump thump thump.

E: here's his even-chonkier sister. (they're both on a diet and very upset with me)

Annath fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 2, 2023

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

feedmegin posted:

I had the same thing happen when one of my cats turned out to have congenital gum disease and had half her teeth removed (so THAT'S why she was never food motivated). Unfortunately her big bully sister never did adjust, we had to keep her in our bedroom and sis downstairs. Hopefully it goes better for you.

Basically she smells WRONG like this is like 'this cat is a zombie from the grave to me' now or something. Imagine if your spouse came back from the hospital and was pale grey and kept talking about braaaaains.

Fortunately, we are back to normal. (female is the tabby, big grey guy is the one who had surgery).
really relieved. we have a very small space to try and permanently keep two cats separated

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
I've heard of food bowls that detect your cat's microchip and only open when they're nearby. Does anyone have recommendations?

Also, is Feliway bullshit?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yak Shaves Dot Com posted:

Some people swear by it, but it had absolutely no effect on my cats.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

I've heard of food bowls that detect your cat's microchip and only open when they're nearby. Does anyone have recommendations?

Never used one, but if you have enough cats that you're trying to auto-segregate their food like that be ready to make adjustments as you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oqtmf5r-PN8

gloom posted:

What a luxurious lad, first chonky tux I've seen and I love him :)

Tell him he is a pretty cat. And a good cat.

https://i.imgur.com/DfwpIlz.mp4

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

We use the sure pet chip feeder and it works great for us

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
does anyone have any recommendations for a carpet spot cleaner? preferably available in au/nz. i have a bissel stain eraser pet and: it loving sucks. annoying to use, and it's battery powered so has really poor suction

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
So we got a bonded pair of rescue cats about 6 months ago. They are currently a little over a year old.

They've been great- one cat in particular is just incredible, he's a true therapy cat. He's so human-friendly that when we're hanging out with friends and family, he literally rotates through everyone's lap- it does not matter how new they are, he will do this to people he just met- and expose his belly, put his head into their hands, like... it's insane. As a result everyone who has ever met him is like "this is god's true cat" which is true, he owns, and I'm not just saying that because of bias.

The weird thing about him is, he is singularly fixated on food. Bizarrely so, even for a cat. He doesn't ever act this way in front of anyone but me, even my wife has no idea he does this, but I work from home and he spends literally all day begging for food. It sucks because:

1) He does not seem to particularly care how much he has been fed. As an experiment I fed him as much food as he wanted for one day. It was a disaster. He just ate until he threw up and while the begging decreased, it didn't slow down much.

2) He gets super hangry when he feels he's not being fed and goes out of his way to be a total rear end in a top hat. He never chews on cords unless he is mad at me for not feeding him and then he will choose a cord right next to me, look at me, and start biting it. He's vindictive as hell, and sometimes will even get "destructive zoomies" where he just runs around knocking poo poo over like an insane person.

3) He has a completely indescribable meow that is like nothing I've ever heard in my life, it's like the sound a human woman makes when they're super frustrated? That's the closest I can even begin to describe it. It's really loud and annoying, but when he's not shouting in frustration it's 10/10 cute.

He also has tons of positive traits- he also has a double jointed tail so his tail is constantly hitting him in the face wherever he walks which is really funny. Also like I said he's a total sweetheart when he's not alone with me so everyone thinks he's god's gift to the world, and he is, but they don't know his evil side!

I must stress that this is not an underfed cat by any stretch, I feed him more than I'm supposed to. And his sister is completely normal with food and will just stop eating when she's full, which makes him seem like even more of a deranged butthead.

Anyways does anyone have any tips to combat this type of behavior? It's not a deal breaker, he's my little buddy, but I'm starting to get so resentful about it...

e: the worst part in some ways is that while I am a patient person, I admit that the urge to just feed him as much as he wants is ever-present. I simply don't have the time or the saintly demeanor necessary to cater to this little dude's every whim, or at least, it's like fighting a losing battle every single day to get this little dude to stfu about food for 3 seconds.

I've had numerous cats and dogs over the years, personally speaking, and just in general when we were kids and had pets, so food motivated animals are well within my comfort zone, but this is a whole new level. It's also lame that he never does this in front of anyone else, not even my wife, so I'm pretty sure she just thinks I'm being lazy/hysterical, haha

Taima fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jun 4, 2023

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Maybe try getting him an auto feeder and then really stick to it?

That way food doesn't "come from you" anymore, and once he knows that hopefully he'll stop trying to irritate you into extra food. Plus the food will always come at the same time so he'll hopefully just learn roughly when that is

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Puzzle feeder maybe? Force him to slow down and tire out his brain at the same time.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
my cat has been doing similar things lately. he seems to think every time I go into the kitchen, he is meant to be given food from the fridge. no, kitty, that's a rare thing not a several times a day thing!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Does anybody have a puzzle feeder that has been a puzzle for more than a week? Diana is too drat smart.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

We are reaching my cat’s 1st year adoption anniversary and was wondering if people had experience with “cat cakes” or celebratory treats of that kind?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Ferdie's had a good variety of food since he was a baby, and he eats almost everything almost every time, but when he gets his favourite he headbumps my hand before going to eat :3:

(it's the Pets At Home's own brand Seriously Good mackerel. UK only and you can't get the mackerel ones separately but they're all good). One time I had mackerel pate for myself and he wouldn't leave me alone, but every time since me eating mackerel hasn't bothered him for some reason.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Does anybody have a puzzle feeder that has been a puzzle for more than a week? Diana is too drat smart.

UK based so not sure if it works for you but the big wheel on this kept Ferdie busy for well over a month. Think he's got the hang of it now but still not consistently so it still confounds him occasionally

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Tekopo posted:

We are reaching my cat’s 1st year adoption anniversary and was wondering if people had experience with “cat cakes” or celebratory treats of that kind?

I generally just get mine a can of the fanciest wet food I can afford since their daily wet snack is certainly not fancy.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

I generally just get mine a can of the fanciest wet food I can afford since their daily wet snack is certainly not fancy.

Yep, either that or one of the fancy fish fillet treats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jayne Doe
Jan 16, 2010

Organza Quiz posted:

Puzzle feeder maybe? Force him to slow down and tire out his brain at the same time.
This is my instinct as well - put all of his food in a relatively difficult puzzle feeder.