Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Popete posted:

This is completely tangential to the discussion but from your posts I gather you were a tanker in an Abrams previously? Just curious, back in ~2014 I was working at company that developed embedded systems for primarily the U.S. military and one of the software bugs I was working on was for an audio driver that was clipping and as part of the debug process I was given from the customer a bunch of sample audio clips from if I remember correctly an Abrams tanks where it was a female voice warning system. Some that I vaguely remember where lines like "oil temperature high", "radiation fallout detected" and "ballistics solution calculated". Does any of that ring a bell, was there an automated voice warning system to the crew? I just remember spending a few days listening to those same clips over and over well working on a fix and I'm curious if those were things a tanker would hear.

I was a tank platoon leader and an armored cavalry scout platoon leader from 2001-2003.

I had M1A1 "heavies" in Korea, M1A2s in the US, and M3A2 ODS Bradley's in the US and in Iraq. I'm very familiar with the tanks and IFVs Ukraine is getting from the US.

We didn't have audio voice warnings when I was in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
With the drone attack on Moscow and flashy incursions by RVC, not a lot is being said about the town of Shebekino in Belgorod region. For the past couple of weeks it's been under increasingly intensive shelling. There were occasional strikes before, but now they happen almost daily.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/russias-bryansk-governor-says-border-village-shelled-ukraine-2023-06-02/

According to BBC Russia, there's no electricity, water, or mobile service in the town, and a lot of buildings are badly damaged. Russian officials have only now started evacuating people, but all public discontent seems to be aimed solely at Ukrainians with appeals to Putin and regional government to help.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

For what it's worth, the cit team doesn't believe that the border incursions will drive deployment changes.

https://notes.citeam.org/dispatch-jun-1-2

quote:

As we reported in our previous sitrep, a new attempt to break through into the territory of the Belgorod region by the Russian Volunteer Corps took place on Jun. 1. According to the Russian Ministry of Defense, around 4:00 a.m., an artillery shelling of the Shebekino border checkpoint began, which lasted for an hour. After that, an attempt was made to penetrate the Russian territory by a sabotage and reconnaissance group consisting of three armored combat vehicles and four pickups. In response, Russian forces opened retaliatory artillery fire, allegedly preventing the sabotage and reconnaissance group from infiltrating Russian territory and disposing of all attackers. At 6:00 a.m., a second attempt was made, reportedly involving five tanks, four armored vehicles, seven pickups, and one KAMAZ truck, but it was also suppressed.

At the moment, besides the statements from the Russian Ministry of Defense and the Russian Volunteer Corps, there are only photos of two damaged vehicles and a video recording of the shelling. The video published by the Russian Volunteer Corps shows gunfire on a forest road, but it is unclear whether there was an actual exchange of fire or if it was staged footage. It is also impossible to geolocate the scene of action. The Russian Ministry of Defense released a video of strikes made by the TOS-1 Solntsepyok MLRS, filmed by a drone, but it is unclear what their target was. There is no evidence of a breakthrough deep into Russian territory — apparently, the firefight occurred directly on the border between Russia and Ukraine.

We still believe that the ongoing breakthroughs are unlikely to lead to the deployment of additional units of the RuAF to this section of the border, as many units of the Rosgvardia [the National Guard of Russia] remain uninvolved.

Currently, the border is guarded by conscripts who are increasingly falling victim to attacks. For example, it has been reported that on Jun. 1, an automobile carrying ten servicemen came under fire, resulting in the deaths of two conscripts and one warrant officer.

On the social media pages of the Belgorod region Governor, locals are complaining about conscripts having to take part in the border clashes and are demanding their withdrawal from the combat zone.

I think if the incursions continue to be at the scale of a few groups of men in cars, there's no real risk of them being able to hold ground in the region which limits the scale of the response necessary.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
It seems a bit more serious than a border incursion now, it's a city of 40k people

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
There have been a lot of unrealistic peace plans proposed, but have any involved Russia paying reparations? The pro-Russia plans tend to be "Give East Ukraine to Russia", and the pro-Ukraine plans tend to be "Russia GTFO". I guess I'm surprised Zelensky isn't asking for more than he thinks he'd get, but maybe that talk would just be a waste of time so he doesn't talk about a peace plan much.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I don't think Zelensky is saying that Russia getting out is all they want from a negotiated end to the war, just that it's a precondition for Ukraine to even be willing to sit down for peace talks. Whether Russia gets out voluntarily or gets shown the door by the Ukrainian military doesn't matter for that.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Aertuun posted:

Is this one of those questions where we accidentally leak classified info.

lol I hope not, I was not in a high level position just a fresh college grad so I doubt they were letting me see/hear anything that interesting.

Ynglaur posted:

I was a tank platoon leader and an armored cavalry scout platoon leader from 2001-2003.

I had M1A1 "heavies" in Korea, M1A2s in the US, and M3A2 ODS Bradley's in the US and in Iraq. I'm very familiar with the tanks and IFVs Ukraine is getting from the US.

We didn't have audio voice warnings when I was in.

Ah ok, I could be misremembering what it was for exactly or perhaps it was something they added later on.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

StumblyWumbly posted:

There have been a lot of unrealistic peace plans proposed, but have any involved Russia paying reparations?

That’s probably less realistic than Russia just giving back Crimea, short of some very specific definition of reparation like calling it a reparation to return some of the kids Russia resettled and refuses to return to their families. I doubt whatever eventual managed settlement arises includes reparations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
There's little point in making some kind of Yalta declaration, Ukraine has only leverage against Russia as far as they can throw them i.e. they won't be conquering Moscow in two years. Ukraine's allies could set conditions for lifting sanctions, such as reparations and war crime investigations, but they also are unlikely to go anywhere unless there is a complete regime change in Russia.

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001
This is a Randbrick post. It goes in that D&D megathread on page 294

"i think obama was mediocre in that debate, but hillary was fucking terrible. also russert is filth."

-randbrick, 12/26/08

StumblyWumbly posted:

There have been a lot of unrealistic peace plans proposed, but have any involved Russia paying reparations?

There have been threats to keep the several hundred billion in Russian assets the western powers froze if Russia continues it's war. These would essentially be reparations, although they're aimed more at bringing Russia to the table, so it's not clear how serious they are.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

I wouldn't judge the future of armor based on its use by Russian Forces in this war. From day one, I've seen so much footage of single tanks driving alone through open terrain and contested cities. I'm only a former Abrams gunner and now an engineer with experience working on AFVs, but I cannot imagine an American officer ordering these kinds of missions without getting severe punishment in turn. Tanks are a powerful force when coordinated, but can be absolutely useless when alone.

Antigravitas posted:

When people talk about infantry screens for tanks, they typically mean infantry that is hundreds of meters away from the tank in question. The modern battlefield is sparse and displaced.

You don't want infantry anywhere close to a tank anyway because it's a gigantic piece of metal that may move extremely unpredictably, has extremely poor visibility, and can't hear you.

Also, if a tank takes a hit and survives, the crew is unlikely to know where that shot came from. So they're going to gtfo first, because there's a follow-up shot coming in a few seconds.

Btw., tandem warheads are typically much heavier. The PG-7V (HEAT) is lighter and easier to hit things with than the PG-7VR (tandem) that is almost twice as heavy. RPG-7 are absolutely everywhere, so it makes sense to have some ERA.

There's a lot in this post that I like. For infantry screens, yes. Let's not forget that tanks can deliver accurate fire over the range of several kilometers. Thermal optics (proper cooled ones that are standard on modern tanks at least) can spot heat signatures from kilometers away. Tanks shouldn't be running blind, completely unaware of forces armed to the teeth with all manners of handheld or deployable anti-tank munitions. Infantry and tanks do not and should not need to be bunched up as the popular imagination pictures it, or working alone as we've observed in Ukraine. Agreed also when it comes to basic coordination and safety.

Also good point on anti-tank weaponry. One thing that gets lost in these discussions is that these modern ATGM systems are heavy, and you can't carry much ammunition for them. If armor and infantry are working together and are able to spot and engage anti-tank elements, then being able to engage them puts them in a bad position. An AT crew under fire with lots of heavy, difficult-to-reload equipment and only a handful of missiles is going to have a difficult time easily engaging you if they're under fire. This has been true since WW2, where AT cannon crews were extremely useful up until the situation became untenable, whereby they'd just abandon their guns and run away. The same would go for a Stugna/Kornet/TOW crew. There are also peculiarities when it comes to Ukraine in terms of just how much anti-tank weaponry was distributed and how we don't really talk about how well Ukraine acted as opposed to how poorly Russia performed that allowed Ukrainian infantry to cause such destruction as we saw in the defense of Kyiv.

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!

"A Case Study in Failure" is a pretty good thread title

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Vaginaface posted:

"A Case Study in Failure" is a pretty good thread title

It'd be a nice ban me honeypot

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

“2nd best army in Ukraine” is a pretty great low key burn.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
I don't know if I would have Indonesia chairing a "so you've been invaded by your massive neighbor" solutions committee.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Meanwhile in Russia...

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1664959992225493001

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Look, she's a very real person and should be taken seriously and is absolutely not in the pocket of russia and doing their mindless bidding.

Hope she enjoys her Lada.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

There are also peculiarities when it comes to Ukraine in terms of just how much anti-tank weaponry was distributed

I wouldn't exactly say the heavy distribution of AT weapons was peculiar. Remember that Ukraine basically just got a chunk of hand-me-downs from existing NATO stockpiles - just a fraction of the man portable AT munitions kicking around in case NATO actually had to fight Russia. There were certainly times Ukrainian infantry was pictured hauling around unusually large numbers of those weapons, but that's not unheard of for situations where infantry is expecting to encounter a lot of armor.

Admittedly not a thing most militaries on the planet can pull off, though.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 3, 2023

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

mlmp08 posted:

That’s probably less realistic than Russia just giving back Crimea, short of some very specific definition of reparation like calling it a reparation to return some of the kids Russia resettled and refuses to return to their families. I doubt whatever eventual managed settlement arises includes reparations.
I don't think there is a "realistic" way for the war to stop in the near term, but my point is that folks calling for a negotiated truce seem to range between "Give Russia stuff" to "Give Russia nothing", and there doesn't seem to be a "Give Ukraine stuff" side, and that absence sets up a lopsided outcome.
I actually think Russia returning Crimea is less realistic than Russia writing a check just because it would be such an obvious loss I don't think Putin would accept it.

saratoga posted:

There have been threats to keep the several hundred billion in Russian assets the western powers froze if Russia continues it's war. These would essentially be reparations, although they're aimed more at bringing Russia to the table, so it's not clear how serious they are.
That's a really good point, ending the economic sanctions is probably a whole other front. And yeah, I expect the word reparation would be avoided, but there'd probably be tariffs or payments that just end up helping repair Ukraine.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Shortly after that clip:

quote:

KELLY: I understand that's your perspective. It's only part of the story, obviously, of what's happening in Ukraine, as children are dying by the thousands and the tapes are absolutely, deeply disturbing and there are very good reasons to see Putin in a very different way, as a villain, as the aggressor and his actions as entirely unjustified. That's not the purpose of our debate today, okay, so I don't...

READE: But, yeah, I don't see him as a villain, I see him... You know, that's simply not true, I don't, I think that narrative and that's been the problem is, the West has been controlling the narrative so hard that they're not allowing the truth to come out which is that...

KELLY: Well, or we see the truth and have different opinions of it.

I cannot wait for Tara Reade to tell us the truth about Vladimir Putin.

Later she talks about prison conditions in the US, as related to her by Maria Butina.

quote:

KELLY: I mean, no one would defend that. I got a feeling it's not much better in Russia. [chuckles] They're not exactly known for their human rights championship over there, Tara, I hate to tell you. You may have jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire.

READE: Really? We don't know, we don't know, because the narrative's so controlled we're not allowed to know.

KELLY: I hope you don't find out. I hope you don't find out, I really do. I don't think you're gonna get arrested over there, but, let's face it, Putin's record on human rights is abysmal, that's the truth.

quote:

READE: The food is really good. And you know what's remarkable about the food is, it really shocked me because no one really talks about this, but, it tastes like it does... food tasted when I was a kid and I was like, what is that? So I asked around and what it is, is they don't allow GMOs. They don't allow hormones, they don't allow any of that Monsanto... anything.

KELLY: That's lovely, but they also don't allow gays, so it's, like, it's a trade-off.

beer_war fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 3, 2023

Belteshazzar
Oct 4, 2004

我が生涯に
一片の悔い無し

ronya posted:

i.e., Ukraine accepts current war borders plus UN peacekeeper deployment and UN administered referendum.

A UN referendum is one of those things that sounds nice but is not actually reasonable at this stage. So many people have fled the occupied areas (or died) that the remaining population is totally unrepresentative. For example Mariupol has gone from 425,000 people pre-war to less than 100,000 now. Bakhmut is down from 70,000 to only a few thousand. Pro-Ukrainian residents would have been disproportionately motivated to get out. Meanwhile large numbers of Russians have been moved into occupied Crimea since 2014. There's no practical way to get back the prewar demographics to have a fair vote, even if it were possible to conduct one under Russian occupation.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Belteshazzar posted:

A UN referendum is one of those things that sounds nice but is not actually reasonable at this stage. So many people have fled the occupied areas (or died) that the remaining population is totally unrepresentative. For example Mariupol has gone from 425,000 people pre-war to less than 100,000 now. Bakhmut is down from 70,000 to only a few thousand. Pro-Ukrainian residents would have been disproportionately motivated to get out. Meanwhile large numbers of Russians have been moved into occupied Crimea since 2014. There's no practical way to get back the prewar demographics to have a fair vote, even if it were possible to conduct one under Russian occupation.

There's also the really small thing of any too Pro-Russia referendum being immediately vetoed by the US, and any too Pro-Ukraine referendum being immediately vetoed by Russia, so the idea of any referendum happening any day soon is pretty :lol:

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

It really makes me wonder if Russia would even take that deal if Ukraine agreed to it. Could they sell that as a win if they can't keep Ukraine out of NATO and the EU?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

Also good point on anti-tank weaponry. One thing that gets lost in these discussions is that these modern ATGM systems are heavy, and you can't carry much ammunition for them. If armor and infantry are working together and are able to spot and engage anti-tank elements, then being able to engage them puts them in a bad position. An AT crew under fire with lots of heavy, difficult-to-reload equipment and only a handful of missiles is going to have a difficult time easily engaging you if they're under fire. This has been true since WW2, where AT cannon crews were extremely useful up until the situation became untenable, whereby they'd just abandon their guns and run away. The same would go for a Stugna/Kornet/TOW crew. There are also peculiarities when it comes to Ukraine in terms of just how much anti-tank weaponry was distributed and how we don't really talk about how well Ukraine acted as opposed to how poorly Russia performed that allowed Ukrainian infantry to cause such destruction as we saw in the defense of Kyiv.

In addition I would like to mention that anti-tank defence was back in the day, and is today, designed to be multi-layered and interleaving for this reason. We have long, medium and short range weapons which vary in mobility according to range, and optimally a tank is receiving fire simultaneously from multiple directions and ranges which makes it harder to react. Blind spots should be covered with indirect fire, mines and obstacles. The heaviest missile launchers should be far enough behind couple of layers of defenses that they can move out of the way if the line doesn't hold. In actual operations compromises will have to be made especially if you are running out of weapons, but that's the basic idea.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Belteshazzar posted:

Indonesia is hardly a participant so mainly it's an insight into what a large and not particularly Russia/China-aligned country might be thinking, rather than a serious proposition. Prabowo is also running for president so it's a domestic gesture rather than a serious FP one... he certainly did not involve the Indonesian foreign ministry to liaise with Ukraine before cheerfully sharing his pet peace plan in Singapore

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Nenonen posted:

In addition I would like to mention that anti-tank defence was back in the day, and is today, designed to be multi-layered and interleaving for this reason. We have long, medium and short range weapons which vary in mobility according to range, and optimally a tank is receiving fire simultaneously from multiple directions and ranges which makes it harder to react. Blind spots should be covered with indirect fire, mines and obstacles. The heaviest missile launchers should be far enough behind couple of layers of defenses that they can move out of the way if the line doesn't hold. In actual operations compromises will have to be made especially if you are running out of weapons, but that's the basic idea.

Bolding mine. Doctrinally, this isn't correct. All indirect fires should be observed, and all obstacles should be observed. Now I happen to disagree with this doctrine. I had a very tactically adept company commander in Korea who had the attitude that you should put obstacles everywhere, constantly. He made me a fan of the random single-strand of concertina wire. Tracked vehicles can go over it, but the crew will spend an hour getting it out of the tracks later. It's not fun work.

During a training exercise in the US I learned I had held up my opponent's right wing by like an hour just because we'd tossed a single bit of concertina across a cross-roads where two trails met. My opponent was convinced it must be observed because "doctrine", didn't want to run over it because gently caress that extra work, but didn't trust the terrain to either side.

The biggest thing unobserved obstacles do for you is they introduce friction in your opponent. Have enough points of friction, and their attack breaks down. Getting past this friction takes practice. That's just one of the many, many things in front of Ukraine right now.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

There are also peculiarities when it comes to Ukraine in terms of just how much anti-tank weaponry was distributed and how we don't really talk about how well Ukraine acted as opposed to how poorly Russia performed that allowed Ukrainian infantry to cause such destruction as we saw in the defense of Kyiv.

I remember pictures coming out of Ukrainian infantry squads in spring/summer 2022 and people with military experience going "huh, usually a Western squad would have one person carrying an ATM system not ... everybody carrying two or three."

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Moon Slayer posted:

I remember pictures coming out of Ukrainian infantry squads in spring/summer 2022 and people with military experience going "huh, usually a Western squad would have one person carrying an ATM system not ... everybody carrying two or three."

I'll bet the Ukrainian troops trained in peacetime with similar doctrinal standards. The key here is wartime realities often require adaptation. If the enemy is throwing lots of poorly supported armor at your light infantry (and you can't just bomb them into oblivion or overwhelm them with your own armor) you'd better hope your leadership is capable of the minor mental leap to distribute more AT weapons to that infantry (whom you have probably already trained to use them in a Western styled professional military).

You can just look at the ersatz tank hunter teams evident in pretty much every past conflict where that has happened.

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

EUGENE? Where's my fuckin' money, Eugene?

Moon Slayer posted:

I'm honestly not sure what U.S. doctrine is these days on that. Back when I had knees and was light infantry, we had one AT-4 per fire team and one Javelin per squad. This was 2003-2006. Can't remember what we had when I was mechanized infantry (2007-2009) but we relied on the Bradleys to carry a lot of our poo poo too.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I’m assuming every military is paying attention and keeping copious notes. The US was intensely watching Donbas in 14, so no way they aren’t keeping track of how their fancy toys are working in practice.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I'm surprised we don't have military observers, at least publicly.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

The thermal camouflage being actually effective is a big concern for the new tanks in the coming offensive I imagine

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Warbadger posted:

I'll bet the Ukrainian troops trained in peacetime with similar doctrinal standards. The key here is wartime realities often require adaptation. If the enemy is throwing lots of poorly supported armor at your light infantry (and you can't just bomb them into oblivion or overwhelm them with your own armor) you'd better hope your leadership is capable of the minor mental leap to distribute more AT weapons to that infantry (whom you have probably already trained to use them in a Western styled professional military).

You can just look at the ersatz tank hunter teams evident in pretty much every past conflict where that has happened.

I was listening to a US Army expert in urban warfare talk about the Battle of Kyiv, and I think the Ukrainian forces' accomplishments have been massively undersold. Russia didn't necessarily got funneled down and bunched up because they were incompetent/corrupt (though that did play into it), they got thrown into that meat grinder because Ukraine was able to not only successfully mobilize a defense force and blow destroy plenty of bridges, but they also had dam operators flooding rivers and towns. The dam operators were in constant contact with the army and were raising and lowering water levels to give themselves the best advantage. Meanwhile, Ukrainian junior officers were able to utilize the civilian population in aiding the defense, which is not anywhere near easy to coordinate.

Dandywalken posted:

The thermal camouflage being actually effective is a big concern for the new tanks in the coming offensive I imagine

Yeah, that's one of the big ones. If a tank with thermal camouflage is invisible to you and they have the ability to detect your heat signature from miles away, you lose.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Grape posted:

I don't know if I would have Indonesia chairing a "so you've been invaded by your massive neighbor" solutions committee.
General Subianto is a deeply unpleasant right-wing nationalist who has a nasty history of abducting, torturing and disappearing democracy activists, leading reprisal campaigns against civilian villages in East Papua, and using irregular (almost "little green men" like) forces to try to crush the East Timorese independence movement.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tigey posted:

General Subianto is a deeply unpleasant right-wing nationalist who has a nasty history of abducting, torturing and disappearing democracy activists, leading reprisal campaigns against civilian villages in East Papua, and using irregular (almost "little green men" like) forces to try to crush the East Timorese independence movement.

Yeah, the person who'd never allow a plebiscite in West Papua now wanting one in Ukraine.. uh huh.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://t.me/astrapress/28718

quote:

"RDK" published a video allegedly showing Russian prisoners of war in the Belgorod region.

The fighters summoned Gladkov, the head of the region, to the Novaya Tavolzhanka church for their exchange until 5 p.m. today.

In the video, the fighters stated that they are now "not far from Novaya Tavolzhanka." In the footage, one of the allegedly Russian captives appears as Senior Lieutenant Alexei Belyaev from the Tver region, and the second, wounded, is [name unintelligible] Alexei Viktorovich from the Pskov region.

"Mr. Gladkov! Today is a big Orthodox holiday, Trinity. As a gesture of goodwill, which the Russian government so often talks about, we are ready to give you these prisoners, ordinary Russian soldiers, for the opportunity to talk to you personally, discuss the current situation in the region and, most importantly, talk about its future and the future of Russia as a whole. Therefore, we invite you to a dialogue within the walls of the temple in Novaya Tavolzhanka. You can come in person by ambulance, accompanied by a driver, unarmed. I will come in person with a representative of LSR and the prisoners. Just recently you received the Order of Courage, so show real civic courage," said the head of the RDC Denis Kapustin.

The raids may have not achieved any strategic results but ongoing media pressure is sure something

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Well, this is unexpected

https://twitter.com/ThomasVLinge/status/1665361197623803911

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Panzeh posted:

Yeah, the person who'd never allow a plebiscite in West Papua now wanting one in Ukraine.. uh huh.

A bit of a tangent here, but: a plebiscite was allowed in East Timor; the problem is that Indonesian nationalists thought they would win rompingly because they had bought into their own propaganda that the independence movement had been successfully quashed decades ago and now only remained some loud troublemakers rejected by the silent majority. It was not appreciated that the early 1990s liberalizations had substantially revived Timorese nationalism. When this illusion suddenly evaporated they sunk into either denial or violent retaliation.

They were wrong also, afterward, that losing East Timor would lead to a cascading disintegration of Indonesia backed by foreign powers. The main driver of armed intervention was that the Labor government in Australia had initially the same conclusions as the nationalists and thought it could settle a prickly international legitimacy problem where only Australia and Indonesia recognized Indonesia's claim to East Timor - and then got pinned between its left flank and its international commitments when the referendum unexpectedly went the other way. It was not appreciated in Jakarta that the Australian dynamic was that a Labor faction indulged a longtime belief that Timor was a Cuba in waiting specifically* and would not be backing a rollback of West Papua or earlier components of the Indonesian federation as well (remember, Indonesia had annexed East Timor as a US ally, but it had annexed West Papua and crushed the Darul Islam rebellion as a Soviet ally). There would hardly be a John Pilger documentary on the evil of Soviet armed support to Jakarta in annexing West Papua or putting down Aceh. Whilst there was some residual grumbling about Indonesian human rights abuses, none of it would amount to a new status quo of Australian liberal interventionism (instead the next period of Indonesia-Australia relations would heavily feature refugee boats; so much for the concern for Indonesian human rights abuses). So there was not going to be a cascading disintegration.

* instead post-independence Timor-Leste has been deferentially pro-Australian, because why wouldn't it be: even after independence it's still next to a 270m strong brooding giant. It will cling to whatever support it can get.

Since then Indonesian nationalists have revised their narrative into exit-with-dignity with some sour grapes mixed in, hence the ease with which Prabowo talks up UN referendums. Irredentism over Timor-Leste is remarkably weak. Although it would certainly be hilarious if there is a UN-mediated referendum in eastern Ukraine, backed by Russia, that unexpectedly goes Ukraine's way.

ronya fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 4, 2023

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Russia getting a taste of their own "Little Green Men" tactic. They should have known that the West could do this much better than they could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
In Timor-Leste as well, while the Indonesian government is far from liked and it's military is very much disliked to put it mildly, generally people are fine with working and trading with Indonesian companies, and you have Indonesian living there and Indonesian companies still operating.

So yeah at the moment you see stuff like this:

"thediplomat.com posted:

The two countries signed off on several agreements to expand economic cooperation and improve technical cooperation in industry and higher education. They also reaffirmed their existing collaboration in the banking, energy, and telecommunications sectors. Importantly, Jokowi announced that Indonesia was in the process of drawing up a “full road map” for Timor-Leste’s admission as ASEAN’s 11th member state.
Indonesia being a big support of Timor joining ASEAN.

Most people I've talked to there are far more concerned with just re-building the country and making the sure the next generation has it better than they did rather than keeping up any open hostilities with Indonesia, so they just view the Timor government having these ties to Indonesia very practically. This has been going back to before 2008 as well so it's not new.

Harder to see Ukrainian as quickly regaining any sort of political ties with Russia. As much as Ukraine will need resources to rebuild after the war, for as long as Putin in charge hard to see any sort of reconciliation happening.