Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
wasn't there an episode where a different race, i want to say cardassian, was complaining about the overreliance on redundancy in starfleet systems?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boob Cop
Jan 1, 2023

Watching Picard instead :twisted:

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Boob Cop posted:

Watching Picard instead :twisted:

Your funeral :shrug:

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

MikeJF posted:

But that didn't really stand out fully from the others so they emphasised it in voyager by giving it its own segment instead of having in the middle.

Yeah I was thinking about it as a TV show set/visual language thing. The TNG set is just too open and sparse. The orange lights and three sides being walls on Voyager do a better job at telling your brain “This is separated and safe”. Though of course anything is better than DS9s little one bed shoebox, if anything a big rear end space station should have the biggest most expensive medical suite of the three, though it did get that cool MRI machine.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

If you don't have enough safety redundancies someone is going to evolve into a lizard and kidnap the captain. Or some kid will make sapient nanobots that take over the ship. Or the holodeck will come alive again. You can never have enough safety programs in Starfleet.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Craig K posted:

wasn't there an episode where a different race, i want to say cardassian, was complaining about the overreliance on redundancy in starfleet systems?

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's from the episode where that cardie lady tells O'Brien how fertile she is

The General
Mar 4, 2007

galagazombie posted:

Though of course anything is better than DS9s little one bed shoebox, if anything a big rear end space station should have the biggest most expensive medical suite of the three, though it did get that cool MRI machine.

No need to attend to more than one Bajoran at once. If more than one is injured, the others can wait.

I'll assume Cardassians got care in their quarters.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

The General posted:

No need to attend to more than one Bajoran at once. If more than one is injured, the others can wait.

I'll assume Cardassians got care in their quarters.

The Cardassian sickbay is where the Arboritum is now, before the Spoonies bailed on Terok Nor it was just full of hot rocks and it smelled like a herpetarium.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

It's not like the station short of space. I always got the impression that like 2/3 of it was devoted to ore processing, since it was an ore processing station. The just couldn't be bothered to refit it into anything useful, or even take a good look at it for years until the attn bajoran workers episode.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Well you also need all that storage space for all those knockout and poison gasses you can just vent into the atmosphere.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

mycomancy posted:

Well you also need all that storage space for all those knockout and poison gasses you can just vent into the atmosphere.

That whole system is classed as a High Energy pressure system, so that means we gotta get the Pipefitters involved, there's dozens of forms to fill out, mandatory training for everyone who'll be interacting with the poison tanks and associated pipelines...

...it's like, a whole fuckin' thing, man.

naem
May 29, 2011

the federation filled the ore space with torpedoes eventually

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

That thing that covers your junk can slide up and down the table in case you're a species whose junk is on their patella or wherever.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Facebook Aunt posted:

If you don't have enough safety redundancies someone is going to evolve into a lizard and kidnap the captain. Or some kid will make sapient nanobots that take over the ship. Or the holodeck will come alive again. You can never have enough safety programs in Starfleet.

I mean those things still happened with all the redundancies so you got to start asking some questions. What you really need is a double blind test, one ship with the redundancies one without, and after a year check how many random space/time lizard kidnappers each ship ended up with or whatever.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I never noticed it before but it bothers me now that the TNG sickbay apparently has one of those backlights you stick xrays up to so you can view them but with LCARS stickers applied

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Animal-Mother posted:

That thing that covers your junk can slide up and down the table in case you're a species whose junk is on their patella or wherever.

the technical term is masturbation shield

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Finally watching Lower Decks. Love that the Pakleds the big bads

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

RandolphCarter posted:

Finally watching Lower Decks. Love that the Pakleds the big bads

An incredibly appropriate nemesis for the crew of the Cerritos.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

dr_rat posted:

I mean those things still happened with all the redundancies so you got to start asking some questions. What you really need is a double blind test, one ship with the redundancies one without, and after a year check how many random space/time lizard kidnappers each ship ended up with or whatever.

I wonder about klingon OSHA. Klingons don't generally seem cautious, but redundancies are built into them from the ground level. There is no glory to dying in your sleep to a leaky valve.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

dr_rat posted:

There's a fanon theory that Starfleet are the only ones who encounter all this space bullshit because their ships are the only ones who survive it - for everyone else, it's just a given that x% of your ships will mysteriously vanish in space and that's just a cost of space travel, because they're not set up to survive and figure your way out of space bullshit the way Starfleet is.

(And another reason is that as soon as anyone from another civilisation sees a glowing space rear end in a top hat in front of their ship, they just mark 'some crap here, AVOID' on the map and go around it.)

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

MikeJF posted:

There's a fanon theory that Starfleet are the only ones who encounter all this space bullshit because their ships are the only ones who survive it - for everyone else, it's just a given that x% of your ships will mysteriously vanish in space and that's just a cost of space travel, because they're not set up to survive and figure your way out of space bullshit the way Starfleet is.

(And another reason is that as soon as anyone from another civilisation sees a glowing space rear end in a top hat in front of their ship, they just mark 'some crap here, AVOID' on the map and go around it.)

Klingon officer: captain, our scanners detect a kind of giant space jellyfish. It doesn't appear to be hosti-

Klingon captain: RAMMING SPEED!!

for the purpose of this joke the Klingons say "jellyfish" instead of whatever Klingon equivalent, a BlaRgh'dooJ or whatever, for the nerd that was about to call me out on that

naem
May 29, 2011

Facebook Aunt posted:

I wonder about klingon OSHA. Klingons don't generally seem cautious, but redundancies are built into them from the ground level. There is no glory to dying in your sleep to a leaky valve.

“This walkway has no spikes or projections at eye level. Without Honor!!”

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
I think that the Klingons we see are the top psychos of their society, as they get funneled into the IDF to keep them from loving things up. Gowron and other politicians put on the facade to make their troops happy, but really they're as whiny and bitchy as any other species.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

davidspackage posted:

a BlaRgh'dooJ

:zoid: WHAAAAT!? My Mother was a saint! Get oouut.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

davidspackage posted:

Klingon officer: captain, our scanners detect a kind of giant space jellyfish. It doesn't appear to be hosti-

Klingon captain: RAMMING SPEED!!

for the purpose of this joke the Klingons say "jellyfish" instead of whatever Klingon equivalent, a BlaRgh'dooJ or whatever, for the nerd that was about to call me out on that

Actually every world has a Jeh'Lē vizsh, just like the jynnan tonnyx

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

mycomancy posted:

I think that the Klingons we see are the top psychos of their society, as they get funneled into the IDF to keep them from loving things up. Gowron and other politicians put on the facade to make their troops happy, but really they're as whiny and bitchy as any other species.

Nah, there certainly are Klingon functionaries, chefs, lawyers and scientists, but they're anomalies. The Klingon empire runs on raiding, conquest, serfdom and trade, like a stereotyped Viking society. Starfleet is very much like what you describe though.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

thotsky posted:

Nah, there certainly are Klingon functionaries, chefs, lawyers and scientists, but they're anomalies. The Klingon empire runs on raiding, conquest, serfdom and trade, like a stereotyped Viking society. Starfleet is very much like what you describe though.

Yeah, that one Enterprise episode pretty much said so. Klingon society used to be honor driven empire with several honorable professions and great houses for all sorts of walks of life, but around 22nd century the warrior caste is getting over-represented in the government and all other castes and professions are being ignored as battle and conquest was considered the fastest way to get personal honor, get to become considered a founder of a great house, and get the best positions in the empire.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I like the implication that the Klingon Empire is a victim of its own imperialism, with the warrior class basically metastasizing out of control thanks to the wealth brought by conquest and looting.

Craig K posted:

IIRC

"What is all this clutter? I can't access the primary system."

O'Brien: "Oh, that's the secondary backup."

"...... The *secondary* backup?"

O'Brien: "...yeah?? You can never have enough backups."

Honestly who knows if its Starfleet policy, or simply O'Brien's personal idea of how to do a spaceship properly after long service on the Enterprise.

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

by Pragmatica

davidspackage posted:

the Klingons say "jellyfish" instead of whatever Klingon equivalent, a BlaRgh'dooJ or whatever, for the nerd that was about to call me out on that

Um actually it's "qeSnoDmaj" you ungoogling petaQ!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
In someways it feels very starfleet with everything being by the book lots of regulations, ships designed with massive tolerances and what not.

In otherwise it doesn't with starfleets totally disregard for OHAS, and monitors exploding all the time. If you've engineered everything to have multiple redundancies you'd think you'd also know enough to chuck in a couple of surge protectors.

...wait is that why they have multiple redundancies for their ships systems, everything keeps blowing up, and instead of just engineering them not to do that, they're just like gently caress it rather than figuring out a way to make them not blow up on a whim, we'll just chuck in a couple of redundancies that will kick in when they do and then call it a day.

I mean I've definitely worked with people who are 100% on that exact method.

naem
May 29, 2011

I may have just watched the first ep of SNW and it may have been kinda amazing

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

naem posted:

I may have just watched the first ep of SNW and it may have been kinda amazing

It is amazing and also arguably the least good episode of the season so enjoy!

naem
May 29, 2011

Endless Trash posted:

It is amazing and also arguably the least good episode of the season so enjoy!

thank you mike stoklassa

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

naem posted:

thank you mike stoklassa

you’re welcome chipmunk with a cigarette

naem
May 29, 2011

holy poo poo that’s rebecca romijn

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I've come to think of this as the ST:PAB thread

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Dabir posted:

I am playing Star Trek: Legacy (2006 video game). Wow, it kind of sucks!

Play the Bridge Commander: Kobayashi Maru mod instead,

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

MikeJF posted:

Yeah theres a ds9 ep where Dax is like "well the last people who saw this spacial fold were Vulcans, their ship exploded along with the rest of the star system when they tried to make it not be a thing"

dr_rat posted:

In someways it feels very starfleet with everything being by the book lots of regulations, ships designed with massive tolerances and what not.

In otherwise it doesn't with starfleets totally disregard for OHAS, and monitors exploding all the time. If you've engineered everything to have multiple redundancies you'd think you'd also know enough to chuck in a couple of surge protectors.

Yeah I mean my pet theory is those are the surge protectors. Like you're talking about powerlines that carry well above the level of current and voltage than our every day pylon powerlines do (idk the right name, ykwim, whatever). So having a tiny explosion is better than the console creating plasma arcs across the bridge andor instantly vapourizing anyone present.

dr_rat posted:

I mean I've definitely worked with people who are 100% on that exact method.

eventual consistency :shuckyes:

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 4, 2023

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

FlamingLiberal posted:

Just looking at what Chakotay got to do in the first few seasons-

-Repeatedly fooled by Seska
-Got captured by a child Kazon
-Finds some aliens that I guess are supposed to be the basis of his tribe's beliefs?
-Gets stuck on a planet with Janeway when they have some kind of disease
-Gets used by some former Borg to get what they want from a derelict Borg cube so they can create an 'enlightened Collective' or whatever
-Is used by dinosaur aliens to try and prove that the dinosaur people and humans both come from Earth

That's really about it

you missed the episode where he is a ghost and beats the poo poo out of Tuvok constantly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Why would the consoles even be hooked into the main power line such that the feedback from the shields taking hits goes anywhere near them