Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello
AEW Dynamite 31/5

HM: The BCC vs Lucha Bros & Bandido
HM: Orange Cassidy & Darby Allin vs Gates of Agony

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

AEW Rampage 6/2

MOTYC: El Hijo del Vikingo vs. Komander vs. Dralistico
HM: Action Andretti vs. Zack Sabre Jr.
HM: Willow Nightingale vs. Emi Sakura
HM: Katsuyori Shibata vs. Lee Moriarty

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
All HMs from Rampage tonight.

Dralistico vs. Komander vs. El Hijo del Vikingo (c), AAA Mega
Action Andretti vs. Zack Sabre Jr. (c), NJPW World Television
Emi Sakura vs. Willow Nightingale (c), NJPW STRONG Women's
Lee Moriarty vs. Katsuyori Shibata (c), RoH Pure

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

HM: El Hijo del Vikingo (C) vs. Dralistico vs. Komander for the AAA Mega Championship - AEW Rampage 6/2
HM: Zack Sabre Jr. (C) vs. Action Andretti for the NJPW Television Title - AEW Rampage 6/2
HM: Willow Nightinggale (C) vs. Emi Sakura for the NJPW Strong Women's Title - AEW Rampage 6/2
HM: Katsuyori Shibata (C) vs. Lee Moriarty for the ROH Pure Title - AEW Rampage 6/2

A night of Champions for Rampage and every single match delivered or over-delivered. Just a fantastic show start to finish, a pure hour of drat good wrestling. That AAA Mega Championship match was PPV quality stuff. drat, what a night.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Pylons posted:

AEW Rampage 6/2

easy peasy

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Pylons posted:

AEW Rampage 6/2

I will second.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

HM: El Hijo del Vikingo (C) vs. Dralistico vs. Komander for the AAA Mega Championship - AEW Rampage 6/2
HM: Zack Sabre Jr. (C) vs. Action Andretti for the NJPW Television Title - AEW Rampage 6/2
HM: Willow Nightinggale (C) vs. Emi Sakura for the NJPW Strong Women's Title - AEW Rampage 6/2
HM: Katsuyori Shibata (C) vs. Lee Moriarty for the ROH Pure Title - AEW Rampage 6/2

A night of Champions for Rampage and every single match delivered or over-delivered. Just a fantastic show start to finish, a pure hour of drat good wrestling. That AAA Mega Championship match was PPV quality stuff. drat, what a night.

Yeah agreed

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jerusalem posted:

Yessir

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

AJPW Returning to Basics ~ Thank you for the 51st Anniversary ~ Soul of a King June 3rd
MOTYC
Zennichi Shin Jidai (Kento MIyahara and Yuma Aoyagi) vs SUWAMA and Yuma Anzai
- Suwama was goodfor his first big match post Voodoo Murders but the spotlight was rightfully on Anzai here. That boy is a loving star, he and Yuma Aoyagi are going to lead the company once Kento steps away from the top of the card

HM
Hikaru Sato vs Manabu Soya
Gungnir of Anarchy (Yusuke Kodama and Ryuki Honda) vs Shuji Ishikawa and Masashi Takeda

SG Bamboo fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jun 3, 2023

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

DDT YOKOHAMA Unlimited Vol.3 June 3rd
HM
MAO and Mei Suruga vs DistasterBox (Kazuki Hirata and Toru i)
Burning (Tetsuya Endo and Jun Akiyama) vs Soma Takao and HARASHIMA
Omega (Yuji Hino and Makoto Oishi) vs Kazusada Higuchi and Takeshi Masada

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

HM
28th May
Ganbare Pro GanPro Players Association Performance
Spirit of Ganbare Openweight Title #1 Contenders Match
Isami Kodaka vs Munetatsu Nakamura
Watch this here

HM
28th May
Pro Wrestling NOAH Sunny Voyage Night 13
AXIZ (Go Shiozaki & Katsuhiko Nakajima) vs Kongo (Masakatsu Funaki & Shuji Kondo)
Watch this here

HM
18th May
New Japan Best of the Super Juniors Night 6
BOSJ A Block
Hiromu Takahashi vs KUSHIDA
Watch this here

Man, this is such a delightfully odd match. I did not expect to see a New Japan tournament match end up outside the arena, on a patch of grass next to the ring truck.

HM
18th May
New Japan Best of the Super Juniors Night 6
BOSJ B Block
Master Wato vs Robbie Eagles
Watch this here

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

HM: Hiromu Takahashi vs. KUSHIDA - NJPW Best of the Super Junior Night 6 5/18

Man, this is such a delightfully odd match. I did not expect to see a New Japan tournament match end up outside the arena, on a patch of grass next to the ring truck.

Hiromu seems to bring out the worst in KUSHIDA, and I mean that in the best way possible :allears:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

It's June, in case you didn't notice. That means we are approaching the half-way point of the year, & there has been a lot of real good wrestling! According to the OP there are currently 78 matches that the users of this forum have nominated in sufficient numbers to be called Match of the Year Candidate. Dave Meltzer has given out 135 matches at ****¼ or higher grades across 15 different promotions (I've given out 150). By way of comparison, Meltzer had given out just 92 by the end of May in 2022, 81 in 2021, 45 in 2020, & this is favourable even going back to pre-COVID 2019, where there had been 87 by the end of May.

Around this time I like to highlight the matches that have gotten some nominations for MOTYC status on our forum but haven't quite gotten the votes, & helpfully Jerusalem, curator of this thread, keeps a running tally, of which there are currently 53 with between 4 & 6 votes, requiring 7 to get over the hump. Think of this as a great chance to catch some things that you may have missed. Maybe you aren't a regular Tony Khan Wrestling Universe viewer. Maybe you mostly skip WWE stuff. Maybe you don't keep up with wrestling overseas. Regardless, here are the 53 matches with links to places to watch them. Found them all, you would not believe how annoying it was trying to work out when The Miz vs Snoop Dogg started with my internet connection being a laggy piece of poo poo, so I just put it at the start of the segment because otherwise I'd have had to watch it.

These aren't all votes I agree with, my post with my own matches of the year which have been overlooked probably comes next month. There's some I feel very strongly about (Kento Miyahara vs Yuma Aoyagi from AJPW), there's others where I plan on watching them myself for the first time & seeing what I think.

01/04 | FTR (C) vs. Bishamon for the IWGP Heavyweight Tag Titles - NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 17 (5 votes)
01/18 | Top Flight vs. The Young Bucks - AEW Dynamite (4 votes)
01/21 | Kazuchika Okada & Togi Makabe vs. Kaito Kiyomiya & Yoshiki Inamura - Wrestle Kingdom 17: NJPW vs. NOAH (4 votes)
02/03 | Dragon Dia & Dragon Kid vs. Naruki Doi & YAMATO - Dragongate Rey de Parejas 2023 Night 1 (4 votes)
02/04 | Kento Miyahara (C) vs. Yuma Aoyagi for the Triple Crown - AJPW Excite Series (4 votes)
02/04 | Chihiro Hashimoto vs. MIRAI - STARDOM Supreme Fight (4 votes)
02/05 | Hiromu Takahashi (C) vs YOH for the IWGP Jr Championship - NJPW New Beginning in Sapporo (4 votes)
02/11 | Switchblade Jay White vs. Hikuleo in a Loser Leaves Japan Match - NJPW The New Beginning in Osaka (5 votes)
02/11 | Tama Tonga (C) vs. El Phantasmo for the NEVER Openweight Title - NJPW The New Beginning in Osaka (4 votes)
03/02 | Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Blake Christian - ROH (4+ Votes)
03/02 | Claudio Castagnoli (C) vs. AR Fox for the ROH Championship- ROH (4 votes)
03/04 | Saya Kamitani (C) vs. Hazuki for the Wonder of Stardom Title - Stardom Triangle Derby (6 votes)
03/09 | Athena (C) vs. Willow Nightingale for the ROH Women's Title - ROH (5 votes)
03/10 | Shingo Takagi vs. Aaron Henare - NJPW New Japan Cup Night 3 (5 votes)
03/11 | The Dream Team (Kazuchika Okada & Hiroshi Tanahashi) vs. Shota Umino & Ren Narita - NJPW New Japan Cup Night 4 (4 votes)
03/15 | Shota Umino vs. Zack Sabre Jr. - NJPW New Japan Cup Night 7 (5 votes)
03/15 | Dark Order (Hangman, Evil Uno & Stu) vs. Blackpool Combat Club (Moxley, Claudio & Yuta) - AEW Dynamite (6 votes)
03/15 | Orange Cassidy (C) vs. Jeff Jarrett for the AEW International Title - AEW Dynamite (4 votes)
03/15 | House of Black (C) vs. The Elite vs. Jericho Appreciation Society (Jericho, Sammy & Garcia) for the AEW Trios Titles - AEW Dynamite (6 votes)
03/18 | Kyoraku Kyomei (Misao & Shoko) vs. Haruna Neko & Andreza Giant Panda - TJPW Grand Princess 2 (5 votes)
03/18 | Wasteland War Party (C) vs. 121000000 for the Princess Tag Titles - TJPW Grand Princess 2 (4 votes)
03/18 | Yuka Sakazaki (C) vs. Mizuki for the Princess of Princess Championship - TJPW Grand Princess 2 (5 votes)
03/18 | AJPW (Kento Miyahara, Shuji Ishikawa, Yuma Anzai & Yuma Aoyagi) vs. GLEAT (CIMA, El Lindaman, T-Hawk & Tetsuya Izuchi) - AJPW Dream Power Series Night 3: AJPW vs. GLEAT (4 votes)
03/21 | SANADA vs. David Finlay in the New Japan Cup Final - NJPW New Japan Cup Finals (4 votes)
03/31 | Athena (C) vs. Yuka Sakazaki for the ROH Women's Championship - ROH Supercard of Honor (6 votes)
04/02 | Snoop Dogg vs. The Miz - WWE Wrestlemania 39 Night 2 (5 votes)
04/02 | Roman Reigns (C) vs. Cody Rhodes for the WWE Title - WWE Wrestlemania 39 Night 2 (6 votes)
04/05 | Madoka Kikuta vs. Kota Minoura - Dragongate at Korakuen Hall (4 votes)
04/06 | Athena (C) vs. Miyu Yamashita for the ROH Women's Championship - ROH (6 votes)
04/07 | Orange Cassidy (C) vs. Dralistico for the AEW International Championship - AEW Battle of the Belts (4 votes)
04/08 | Mercedes Mone (C) vs. AZM vs. Hazuki for the IWGP Women's Championship - NJPW SAKURA Genesis (5 votes)
04/12 | Orange Cassidy (C) vs. Buddy Matthews for the AEW International Championship - AEW Dynamite (5 votes)
04/12 | Darby Allin vs. Swerve Strickland - AEW Dynamite (5 votes)
04/16 | Jake Lee (C) vs. Katsuhiko Nakajima for the GHC Heavyweight Title - NOAH Green Journey (4 votes)
04/20 | El Hijo del Vikingo vs. Gringo Loco - ROH (6 votes)
04/23 | Himeka vs. Maika - STARDOM Allstar Grand Queendom (5 votes)
04/23 | Saya Kamitani vs. Mina Shirakawa - STARDOM Allstar Grand Queendom (5 votes)
04/23 | Syuri vs. Chihiro Hashimoto - STARDOM Allstar Grand Queendom (6 votes)
04/23 | Giulia (C) vs. Tam Nakano - STARDOM Allstar Grand Queendom (6 votes)
04/27 | MV Young (C) vs. Edith Surreal for the Enjoy Championship - Enjoy Wrestling: Rites of Spring (4 votes)
04/29 | Shingo Takagi (C) vs. Taichi for the KOPW Provisional Championship - NJPW Wrestling Satsuma no Kuni (4 votes)
05/01 | Gabai Ji-Chan vs. Mahiro Kiryu - TJPW Inspiration (5 votes)
05/03 | Zack Sabre Jr. (C) vs. Jeff Cobb for the IWGP Television Title - NJPW Dontaku (5 votes)
05/03 | SANADA (C) vs. Hiromu Takahashi for the IWGP World Heavyweight Title - NJPW Dontaku (5 votes)
05/05 | Shun Skywalker (C) vs. Madoka Kikuta for the Open the Dream Gate Championship - Dragongate Dead or Alive (5 votes)
05/05 | The Firm Deletion - AEW Rampage (6 votes)
05/06 | Bianca Belair (C) vs. Iyo Sky for the Raw Women's Championship - WWE Backlash (5 votes)
05/11 | Madoka Kikuta, Kota Minoura, & Shun Skywalker vs. Ben-K, Yuki Yoshioka, & Strong Machine J - Dragongate Hopeful Gate (4 votes)
05/18 | Darius Martin & Action Andretti vs. The OGK (Bennett & Taven) - ROH (5 votes)
05/21 | El Desperado vs. Francisco Akira - NJPW Best of the Super Junior Night 8 (5 votes)
05/23 | Speedball Mike Bailey vs. Lio Rush - NJPW Best of the Super Junior Night 9 (6 votes)
05/26 | Speedball Mike Bailey vs. Master Wato - NJPW Best of the Super Junior Night 11 (4 votes)
05/29 | Master Wato vs. Titán in the BOSJ Final - NJPW Best of the Super Junior Final (4 votes)

If a link doesn't work or goes to the wrong video, give me a shout & I'll work out what I did wrong

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello

Pylons posted:

ROH Honor Club 6/1

HM: Zack Sabre Jr. vs Rocky Romero
HM: Bandido, Komander, El Hijo del Vikingo vs. SAP (Serpentico, Anegelico) & Jack Cartwheel
HM: Alex Coughlin vs. Katsuyori Shibata

Pylons posted:

AEW Rampage 6/2

Nthing these

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

Around this time I like to highlight the matches that have gotten some nominations for MOTYC status on our forum but haven't quite gotten the votes, & helpfully Jerusalem, curator of this thread, keeps a running tally, of which there are currently 53 with between 4 & 6 votes, requiring 7 to get over the hump. Think of this as a great chance to catch some things that you may have missed. Maybe you aren't a regular Tony Khan Wrestling Universe viewer. Maybe you mostly skip WWE stuff. Maybe you don't keep up with wrestling overseas. Regardless, here are the 53 matches with links to places to watch them. Found them all, you would not believe how annoying it was trying to work out when The Miz vs Snoop Dogg started with my internet connection being a laggy piece of poo poo, so I just put it at the start of the segment because otherwise I'd have had to watch it.

Goddamn forkboy, thank you so much for doing that!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
MOTYC: Will Ospreay vs. Lance Archer, NJPW Dominion, 04/06

This match was 8 minutes and packed in enough for a match 3 times as long

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Rarity posted:

MOTYC: Will Ospreay vs. Lance Archer, NJPW Dominion, 04/06

This match was 8 minutes and packed in enough for a match 3 times as long

Nth, these lads are gold every time they fight.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
HM: The Jet Setters (c) vs. Catch 2/2, NJPW Dominion, 04/06

Three great wrestlers and KUSHIDA lol

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HM: Will Ospreay vs. Lance Archer - NJPW Dominion 6/4

Would have liked more because I'm a greedy little piggy, but great opener and another reminder that Lance Archer really, really, really deserves more from AEW.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
HM: Zack Sabre Jr. (c) vs. Jeff Cobb, NJPW Dominion, 04/06

I really want to see these two do a full length match

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HM: Zack Sabre Jr. (C) vs. Jeff Cobb for the NJPW Television Title - NJPW Dominion 6/4

Real good stuff, and both these guys still shock me with the crazy poo poo they can do respectively.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
HM: Hiromu Takahashi (c) vs. Master Wato, NJPW Dominion, 04/06

Took a while to heat up but the closing stretch ruled

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

Rarity posted:

2nd, crowd helped a ton too

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rarity posted:

3rd, got really drat good by the end.

.......wato..... :smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MOTYC: Okada, Tanahashi & Ishii (C) vs. Blackpool Combat Club (Mox & Claudio) & Shota Umino for the IWGP Six Man Tag Titles - NJPW Dominion 6/4

Spectacular. Please put Claudio in New Japan again.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Jerusalem posted:

MOTYC: Okada, Tanahashi & Ishii (C) vs. Blackpool Combat Club (Mox & Claudio) & Shota Umino for the IWGP Six Man Tag Titles - NJPW Dominion 6/4

Huge Nth, my loving god, this match.

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Nth, absolutely ruled

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
MOTYC: Kazuchika Okada/Hiroshi Tanahashi/Tomohiro Ishii vs. Shota Umino/Jon Moxley/Claudio Castagnoli, NJPW Dominion, 04/06

Incredible

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HM: SANADA (C) vs. Yota Tsuji for the IWGP World Heavyweight Championship - NJPW Dominion 6/4

Never seen such a smoothly confident return from excursion from a (now former) Young Lion like we got here, and the Osaka crowd being so absolutely behind Tsuji was fantastic, on top of the little wrinkles of LIJ being present to support their newest member against a former one. All that plus SANADA proving once again that he absolutely deserved to be champion after all those years of not getting it. It didn't QUITE hit MOTYC status, but that isn't a knock against it, it was a remarkable match.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
MOTYC: SANADA (c) vs. Yota Tsuji, NJPW Dominion, 04/06

What a rebut for Tsuji drat

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Njpw dominion 4/6

Hm : hiromu v wato

Motyc: okada, ishii, tana v mox, Claudio and shota

Motyc : sanada v tsuji

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

NJPW Dominion June 4th
MOTYC
Will Ospreay vs Lance Archer
Hiroshi Tanhashi and CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada and Tomohiro Ishii) (c) vs Shota Umino and Blackpool Combat Club (Jon Moxley and Claudio Castagnoli - NEVER Openweight 6-Man Championships
SANADA (c) vs Yota Tsuji - IWGP World Heavyweight Championship

HM
Zack Sabre Jr (c) vs Jeff Cobb - NJPW World Television Championship
Hiromu Takahashi (c) vs Master Wato - IWGP Jr Heavyweight Championship

Definite "eh" moments but walked away feeling very happy with it on the whole

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Jerusalem posted:

nthing all these. ZSJr once again showing us how he's the best in the world by making me care about an Action Andretti match.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
19th May
New Japan Best of the Super Juniors Night 7
BOSJ A Block
Mike Bailey vs Taiji Ishimori
Watch this here

MOTYC
19th May
New Japan Best of the Super Juniors Night 7
BOSJ A Block
Hiromu Takahashi vs Lio Rush
Watch this here

HM
21st May
New Japan Best of the Super Juniors Night 8
BOSJ A Block
Lio Rush vs TJP
Watch this here

MOTYC
21st May
New Japan Best of the Super Juniors Night 8
BOSJ B Block
El Desperado vs Francesco Akira
Watch this here

This right here was right up with the Hiromu Speedball match.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
GCW Tournament of Survival 8:

HM
Ciclope vs Miedo Extremo vs Green Phantom
Rina Yamashita vs John Wayne Murdoch

Overall a pretty fun tournament but it didn't have the stand out first round matches some previous tournaments have due to the three ways.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Jerusalem posted:

Nth, this loving kicked rear end

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Pylons posted:

ROH Honor Club 6/1

MOTYC: Zack Sabre Jr. vs Rocky Romero
HM: Bandido, Komander, El Hijo del Vikingo vs. SAP (Serpentico, Anegelico) & Jack Cartwheel
MOTYC: Alex Coughlin vs. Katsuyori Shibata

Pylons posted:

AEW Rampage 6/2

MOTYC: Katsuyori Shibata vs. Lee Moriarty

Nth'd

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SG Bamboo posted:

NJPW Dominion June 4th
MOTYC
Hiroshi Tanhashi and CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada and Tomohiro Ishii) (c) vs Shota Umino and Blackpool Combat Club (Jon Moxley and Claudio Castagnoli - NEVER Openweight 6-Man Championships

HM

Seconding these. The show seemed even better to me since these are the only matches I watched!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

SG Bamboo posted:

NJPW Dominion June 4th
MOTYC

HM

Nth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
GCW Cage of Survival 2

WMOTYC: Matt Cardona and Steph De Lander vs Brandon and Kasey Kirk

Steph De Lander is one of the worst wrestlers on the planet. Matt Cardona doing the sports entertainment/death match gimmick with the rules would be fine for heat if the rest of the match was good. But De Lander is so bad. She whiffs a stomp in a way I couldn't believe. I thought it was meant to miss, but no, she just repeated it after. Her selling is really terrible and she also threw some awful belt shots. So you have an overbooked match where a lot of the action sucks. Bad match!