Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Arbite posted:

Also, for reasons that seemed to be inertia more than anything else, Russia kept pointing to the UK as one of if not the the key architects of opposition however big a shambles Whitehall seemed to be.

A state repeatedly calling you their main rival has to have an effect even beyond the actual provocations.

They have been afraid of the British ever since their fishing boats attacked the Russian fleet back in 1904. :derp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Just Another Lurker posted:

They have been afraid of the British ever since their fishing boats attacked the Russian fleet back in 1904. :derp:

This is the perfect time for Armando Ianucci to make a film about the Second Pacific Squadron. I can just picture Hugh Laurie as Rozhestvensky, chucking one set of binoculars after another...

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

https://twitter.com/PaulaChertok/status/1665124511346470912?t=9slS3I2cRStjlXXzwxAMeg&s=19

Imagine bringing some kids to safety and not even getting a new fidge for your dacha out of it

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1665315263091277824
:qqsay: but they promised to not call us for military service against our will

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

zone posted:

Total breakdown of law and order successfully happened. Widespread looting of homes and businesses by local Russians who haven't run has been going on for a while now.

"Total breakdown", "widespread"

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Strategic Tea posted:

I think a contributor is that regardless of how much money the politicos take, the civil service and the military/intelligence establishment are ferociously anti Russian.

Plus the more nostalgic any given department is for the empire, the more they resent upstart tsars running around.

E: also, Russia is simply very unpopular because (much like Iran) they regularly try to antagonise the UK as a proxy for antagonising the US, the latter being too far away and too hard a target.

If you think Iran is antagonistic towards the UK solely because it serves as a convenient stand in for the Great Satan(tm) you should probably look into Iranian history a bit more

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Also Iran has never been particularly antagonistic towards Europe, it's a major trade partner; if Britain's relationship with Iran is worse than that of the eu, is entirely the UK's doing.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

fatherboxx posted:

"Total breakdown", "widespread"

Well, that glass is totally broken down and merchandise has been widely spread across the geographical area.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Russia firebombing their own citizens has to be the most :psyduck: thing yet.

And not as in those people over there are actually ours, we will invade and firebomb them in the process, but as in o poo poo special military operation coming into our own back yard let's firebomb the poo poo out of it

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Roblo posted:

I used to eat my lunch on the bench that the Skirpals were found on back when i was in college. Those attacks (especially with how blatant/brazen they were, including killing British citizens) and the Litvinenko killing, really pissed a lot of people off.

That, and it was a useful distraction for Boris to wander around and look important for a change. Its pretty much the one thing i will give him credit for. What is a surprise is how well the Government have kept it up, again, pretty much the only good thing coming out of this Government. You see a LOT of Ukranian flags out and about, literally more than you see the Union Jack I think (and defiantely more than you see England flags) - I think the support for Ukraine is pretty genuine.

As a former Salisbury local myself the impact of this attack can not be underestimated. Everyone I know has very strong opinions about the use of chemical weapons and to be clear, the tit for tat Russian style attacks on defectors may be one thing if all you were doing was going around throwing them out of windows but this was a real "gently caress you" attack not just on the Skirpals but on the emergency responders that dealt with the incident and the poor lady who found some perfume in Lizzie gardens and sprayed it on her skin. The lack of concern for collateral damage was astounding, almost as if installing that fear was part of the plan.

I cant talk to my family about the war in Ukraine without the Salisbury poisonings being mentioned so I would say it's very relevant to the UK mindset on this conflict. I live in the midlands now in the pro-brexit heartlands and I'm truly impressed at the amount of Ukrainian flags being flown and yellow and blue ribbon around garden fenceposts.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

free hubcaps posted:

If you think Iran is antagonistic towards the UK solely because it serves as a convenient stand in for the Great Satan(tm) you should probably look into Iranian history a bit more

Yeah gulaging random visitors on spying charges for political bargaining points is not a reasonable response to past colonialism.

Fortunately Iran isn't antagonistic; 100 senile Iranian priests are antagonistic

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Isn't Iran still salty about the whole Anglo-Persian coup thing.

Anyway

Is it the same guy from earlier like when that gym got leveled up on NYE?

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

GABA ghoul posted:

https://twitter.com/PaulaChertok/status/1665124511346470912?t=9slS3I2cRStjlXXzwxAMeg&s=19

Imagine bringing some kids to safety and not even getting a new fidge for your dacha out of it

That's what, $38usd to save your kid? Jesus. I spent more than that on drinks and dinner last night. I get that $38usd has different buying power than 3,000rubles anywhere you'd spend it but goddamn.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

mobby_6kl posted:

Isn't Iran still salty about the whole Anglo-Persian coup thing.

Well, one can't blame them for it.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

chainchompz posted:

That's what, $38usd to save your kid? Jesus. I spent more than that on drinks and dinner last night. I get that $38usd has different buying power than 3,000rubles anywhere you'd spend it but goddamn.

Its not the amount of money, its the Russian mindset and attitude where the officials are squeezing out money from people for getting something they should be getting for free. That, combined with the fact that no-one in the public even considers the option of greasing the ropes and sharpening the guillotine blades to deal with these officials, who are publicly refusing to do their job, evacuate children from an active warzone, unless their pockets are stuffed with bribes and handouts.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Ukraine's latest batch of trench animals is ready for the counteroffensive

https://i.imgur.com/AI9fYJx.mp4

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Der Kyhe posted:

Its not the amount of money, its the Russian mindset and attitude where the officials are squeezing out money from people for getting something they should be getting for free. That, combined with the fact that no-one in the public even considers the option of greasing the ropes and sharpening the guillotine blades to deal with these officials, who are publicly refusing to do their job, evacuate children from an active warzone, unless their pockets are stuffed with bribes and handouts.

Gotcha, yeah I was perplexed at it and not seeing it as a bribe.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

ishikabibble posted:

'tankie' as a term was spawned because of the Communist Party of Great Britain supporting the USSR quashing rebellions in Warsaw Pact countries

it's everywhere lmfao. hell, i'm pretty sure specifically during this war there were posts in this thread or a previous incarnation of it about... Sweden's? - Communist party just lock step falling behind supporting Russia. They apparently backed off from it after massive amounts of backlash, but their initial reaction was straight up tankie brain.

It's all dumb contrarian "NO gently caress U DAD" ride off with the leather clad badboy who owns a motorcycle just to piss off mom crap.
The difference is Betty Altright really actually loves that leather clad badboy wants to murder trans people with a spiked bat, and Dotty Tankie covers her ears and eyes and LA LA LAs really loud when the same thing is being done.

For Dotty the important thing is mom and dad are positively fuming.

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

Grape posted:

It's all dumb contrarian "NO gently caress U DAD" ride off with the leather clad badboy who owns a motorcycle just to piss off mom crap.
The difference is Betty Altright really actually loves that leather clad badboy wants to murder trans people with a spiked bat, and Dotty Tankie covers her ears and eyes and LA LA LAs really loud when the same thing is being done.

For Dotty the important thing is mom and dad are positively fuming.

lol

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

Y'see, leftist authoritarians walk like this, but far right authoritarians walk like this

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

This guy's central thesis is that the west hates Russia for moving back toward being a very Orthodox Christian country. Thus explaining their likewise militant hatred for uh... NATO members Greece and Romania? I have nothing.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Said it before a million times - I would love to see a genuine WAR BAD!! tank enjoyer sit in a room and try to explain to someone from Kosovo how the American military is BAD!! and NATO is BAD!!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Grape posted:

This guy's central thesis is that the west hates Russia for moving back toward being a very Orthodox Christian country. Thus explaining their likewise militant hatred for uh... NATO members Greece and Romania? I have nothing.

What about freaking Ukraine?! IT'S an Orthodox country, too! What is wrong with these people?!

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Samovar posted:

What about freaking Ukraine?! IT'S an Orthodox country, too! What is wrong with these people?!

clearly the wrong kind of orthodox

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
America bad
Taiwan independence bad
Russian annexation of Donbas good

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Toxic Mental posted:

Said it before a million times - I would love to see a genuine WAR BAD!! tank enjoyer sit in a room and try to explain to someone from Kosovo how the American military is BAD!! and NATO is BAD!!

Like in Brain Candy they go into stasis focused only on the single formative memory of showing up on the first day of Collegiate US History 101 with their books already wrapped in red white and blue and their "Order of the Arrow" eagle scout t-shirt and their filthy, smoking unkempt TA laughing a long donkey laugh in their clueless, patriotic face before the class even started.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Found a really good little article about Ukraine's attacks in Russia

Ukraine’s attacks on Russia are a calculated gamble
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/opinion/2023/06/02/commentary/world-commentary/ukraine-russia-attacks/

"The tactic is a gamble with a transparent short-term military upside and a potential long-term psychological downside, which Ukraine has managed to avoid so far by keeping the civilian casualties low."

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Toxic Mental posted:

I have seen this in person and it was told to a Serb by a Kosovan so that went about as well as you would imagine

I also love the chaos in Bilhorod. Frothing disease and confusion to your enemies!

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Toxic Mental posted:

I know an American tankie here, genuinely thinks the USSR was a great place and all. In a few weeks he'll be going on a trip to Latvia, I pray to all that is holy that he tries to enlighten the locals while he's there.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

spankmeister posted:

Taking a little break from nuke chat to post a Meduza article.Meduza is a Russian oppositional publication, but even they have people in their reader base who support the war. They asked them to write in why:

https://meduza.io/en/feature/2023/06/03/the-only-thing-worse-than-war-is-losing-one

Imo, no big surprises here. A collection of the "greatest hits" of war supporters. I.e. "war bad", "russophobia", "I don't support the war but we need to win it now", "amerika did it", etc.

Guess nobody read this, because I messed up the link and nobody said anything lmao. I've fixed it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

spankmeister posted:

Guess nobody read this, because I messed up the link and nobody said anything lmao. I've fixed it.

You provided a very helpful tl;dr so I think I got the idea without having to suffer through vatnik :qq:ing

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Toxic Mental posted:

Obviously the only reason these people don't accept that their death is necessary for the betterment of world and history, is that they are too primitive to understand enlightened discourse, unlike me, an American.

So their protests must be ignored, and actually prove my point.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

NihilCredo posted:

I know an American tankie here, genuinely thinks the USSR was a great place and all. In a few weeks he'll be going on a trip to Latvia, I pray to all that is holy that he tries to enlighten the locals while he's there.

Brilliant, I hope he's drunk and belligerent while he does it

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

Obviously the only reason these people don't accept that their death is necessary for the betterment of world and history, is that they are too primitive to understand enlightened discourse, unlike me, an American.

So their protests must be ignored, and actually prove my point.

That's what gets me the most about the tankies. Their total lack of respect for Ukraine's agency. Poor little Ukrainians, goaded into a war with their brethren by perfidious America. Like they don't even exist as people.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

spankmeister posted:

That's what gets me the most about the tankies. Their total lack of respect for Ukraine's agency. Poor little Ukrainians, goaded into a war with their brethren by perfidious America. Like they don't even exist as people.

Yeah, it's so incredibly self involved. That entire separate country cannot possibly have agency outside the rus/us/cn system that all their conflict has to be reliant on some "global" plan, rather than "holy poo poo we just got invaded"

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

spankmeister posted:

Its more a general attitude in my opinion. "Those Eastern Europeans sure are racists to all hate the Russians and their opinions do not matter because this podcast I am listening to tells me all I need to know." isn't exactly an unheard position to take.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Der Kyhe posted:

Its more a general attitude in my opinion. "Those Eastern Europeans sure are racists to all hate the Russians and their opinions do not matter because this podcast I am listening to tells me all I need to know." isn't exactly an unheard position to take.

People just can't conceive that maybe their side wasn't involved

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Perfidious capitalist west! The economics of despair! I say geniusly, cheering for an entire country's eradication because I "like" another country's... [double takes my clipboard] economic model from 50 years ago that doesn't even exist anymore

No further reflection necessary!

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
It's just American Exceptionalism. The concerns of Europeans are necessarily subservient to the enlightened thoughts of the American Twitterata.

And in a way they aren't totally wrong. The pro-Russia culture war poo poo is being imported from America to Germany right now, and American fascists along with Russia have given ample support to the AfD and even dictated the talking points the other right wing dipshits are using – see for reference the recent meeting of CSU politicians with DeSantis, or the CDU suddenly talking about "woke" and calling Ukrainian refugees "welfare tourists". Violence against minorities is on the rise, and the rhetoric used to dehumanise them is a straight import from the US of A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

NihilCredo posted:

one of my better online buddies is a hungarian who is old enough to remember what hungary was like under the USSR and the burns he lays on discord tankies warm my cockles on the coldest nights