Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Stux posted:

corpse explosion/summoner necro

Is this actually decent? I love me some Minions. I do take issue with necro having 0 movement skills, that's kinda lame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

I think a lot of people are gonna be pretty mad at the nerfs. My build got hit pretty hard which sucks because its the only build for my class (necro) that I actually enjoy playing. I didn't pick bone necro because it was meta, I picked it because Bone Necro was my favorite build in D2 and D3 and now its going to be a lot less fun to play. I hope they make some tuning adjustments to the resource system that aren't just flat nerfs, because having to use a basic skill sucks rear end. My buddy is doing WW barb and his build straight up didn't function without a bunch of legendary powers, and with the nerfs it might not function at all.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

wemgo posted:

A saturday night nerf patch? Blizz couldn’t even keep my goodwill for 2 days goddamn.

If the build’s overpowered, fine. But dont triple tap anything midseason, you’re punishing your players for playing the game you (supposedly) tested the most optimal way they can.

Maxroll and such may be perceived as “bad” but unfortunately thats the way games are now. Its on blizz to adjust to modern reality *cough* real money AH *cough*

lmao this is just incoherent rambling, what season? We’re -2 days from launch.

WW Barb with the gloves gave like a 2200% damage bonus which led to D3 numbers. That poo poo needed to be smacked down to something reasonable and in-line with other classes. Crazy it even got this far but it is what it is.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Turds in magma posted:

Got a rogue to level 16 on hardcore. Some very close calls.

One thing I'm confused about : how do you "play it safe" with level scaling? I can't just stay in an area and farm to get a safe buffer against the next area - the next area keeps scaling with me.

What's the strategy?

For D4 in particular you have to farm some of the explorable stuff like extra stats, skill points, and just playing the game for better gear. You can't level scale past the enemies but you can power scale past them.

So I dunno how much D4 will allow you to do so, especially early on, but Hardcore theory is pretty uniform across most ARPGs.

1) Learn what is actually dangerous. If the game lets you do prep, do it. If there's a boss who is a REAL fucker with a dangerous damage spike that annihilates on mistakes then practice in softcore. Think fighting Big Belial underleveled with his smash patterns in Diablo 3, or Izual freezing you. If Diablo puts you in a bone cage in D2 and uses lightning breath, is your plan "hope I survive?" If the Butcher kicks the door open in a dungeon, do you have a reaction to that? Also be aware of mobs that hit harder than their "perfectly even" scaling with you. I was finishing up the 2nd expac of Grim Dawn, highest difficulty HC, when I almost lost the run to a penultimate boss whose shtick is "hits like a truck, no, more than anyone else with this shtick." Father Kymon I think, who did truckloads of fire/physical damage at least, in a game where you can target and overbuff defensives coordinated to the damage types of the enemy. Speaking of Grim Dawn:

1a) Know how to teleport safely out of the situation, if the game will let you. Setting a portal ahead of time, running to the door, IF you can do those, etc. Know how to fast quit out, if you're not cool enough to take deaths on the chin. :cool: I have paused GD and stared at my screen for a minute planning out what I can do to save the imminent disaster happening on screen. I've never quit out and it worked out, thankfully.

2) Take safety skills/passives/buffs, or "Circuit Breakers." The idea is very simple: if you run into something that can hit you from 100 to 0-10 in a single hit, are you rolling dice or do you get a chance to react? A circuit breaker is a cheat death, or your fortified pool, or anything that'll trigger if you fall low and pause things, or at least stop the spike from 1-2 shotting you. Grim Dawn has loads of them and they're vital, just "heal when you drop under 66% max HP" or "get defensive for 10 seconds when you hit 40% max hp." Layering a few of these is real good, so don't neglect your defensive skills unless you plan to prepare and play perfectly.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

queeb posted:

Is this actually decent? I love me some Minions. I do take issue with necro having 0 movement skills, that's kinda lame

Absolutely, the corpse explosion does a lot of damage. The biggest issue I've found is that it falls off in boss fights where there's not a lot of corpses being made, but once I unlocked the scythe summons I had an easier time since they can generate corpses off the boss. Also can use the wide basic attack to generate them but it can be tricky to get in range for some of the AOE focused bosses.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

queeb posted:

That's basically my build that I used while leveling and am still using doing WT3 endgame stuff. It's starting to get a lot harder to keep all my skeletons up, but my gear isn't good at all and I'm gonna keep trucking with it for a while.

fake edit: like, i was feeling a lot of pressure and died for the first time(s) in a helltide zone last night. Which are meant to be significantly harder than regular content I believe.

SHISHKABOB fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jun 4, 2023

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

soscannonballs posted:

I think a lot of people are gonna be pretty mad at the nerfs. My build got hit pretty hard which sucks because its the only build for my class (necro) that I actually enjoy playing. I didn't pick bone necro because it was meta, I picked it because Bone Necro was my favorite build in D2 and D3 and now its going to be a lot less fun to play. I hope they make some tuning adjustments to the resource system that aren't just flat nerfs, because having to use a basic skill sucks rear end. My buddy is doing WW barb and his build straight up didn't function without a bunch of legendary powers, and with the nerfs it might not function at all.

Bone necro lost 0.6% crit and went from 9 to 6 essence per corpse explosion, it will be just fine

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

How does pvp work? It seems like a non trivial part of the game so I expected some aggressive patching to keep things even(ish).

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

BULBASAUR posted:

Rogue survives with some buffs and only a minor nerf to Dark Shroud and Dash

Twisting Blades

Advanced Twisting Blades Cooldown reduction per enemy hit reduced from .25 to .1 seconds.
Advanced Twisting Blades maximum Cooldown reduction reduced from 3 to 2 seconds.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

God I completely forgot they included pvp in this game. Why? Why would you voluntarily put yourself in the pillory of balancing a PvP arpg for a series that never had it before, and often relied on broken combos to succeed?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

SettingSun posted:

How does pvp work? It seems like a non trivial part of the game so I expected some aggressive patching to keep things even(ish).

It's optional for skins and won't get any specific balance.

You kill mobs and gather motes to turn into dust. Turning them into dust triggers a 45 second zone wide announcement of your location. Anyone who toggles bloodstained mode can kill other players and take their dust.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

CuddleCryptid posted:

God I completely forgot they included pvp in this game. Why? Why would you voluntarily put yourself in the pillory of balancing a PvP arpg for a series that never had it before, and often relied on broken combos to succeed?

The original diablo 2 was nothing but pvp at the high end what are you talking about lmfao

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

SettingSun posted:

My suspicion is that they are going to be much lighter with balance patches because of pvp. PvP is already inherently unbalanced anyway so I can’t see them doing class scale patches. I think they’d change something in pvp itself first.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

SettingSun posted:

I was in both zones for a bit this morning, saw no one person who ran from me.

None of the PvP cosmetics are even good.

hth.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
Is there no in-game barber, ala WoW? Am I stuck with my chosen face/skin/eye/hair, and can only change my makeup/jewelery/markings+colour?

After the years and years of struggle we went through to get it (fully) implemented in WoW? Please don't tell me it's a game shop thing, coming soon (tm).

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

CuddleCryptid posted:

As I said, they aren’t going to balance PvP through class changes. I think they don’t expect much of the player base to engage with it anyway.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

Is there no in-game barber, ala WoW? Am I stuck with my chosen face/skin/eye/hair, and can only change my makeup/jewelery/markings+colour?

After the years and years of struggle we went through to get it (fully) implemented in WoW? Please don't tell me it's a game shop thing, coming soon (tm).

Check the other tab in the wardrobe my fellow hellslayer.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

mbt posted:

The original diablo 2 was nothing but pvp at the high end what are you talking about lmfao

there are only four of us here that like D2 PvP, everyone else was bad. :black101:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Split between Necro and Rogue for an alt...both seem so cool..

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Split between Necro and Rogue for an alt...both seem so cool..

Rogue is fun, you get to teleport all over slicing dudes with twisting blades

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

acumen posted:

Bone necro lost 0.6% crit and went from 9 to 6 essence per corpse explosion, it will be just fine

50% essence generation nerf is significant from a numbers perspective and also a fun perspective because now I have to spend more time using crap skills instead of the fun skill

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They are figuring out the game with us. Classes won’t be stable for a long time

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

CBD Corndog posted:

lmao this is just incoherent rambling, what season? We’re -2 days from launch.

WW Barb with the gloves gave like a 2200% damage bonus which led to D3 numbers. That poo poo needed to be smacked down to something reasonable and in-line with other classes. Crazy it even got this far but it is what it is.

Yo, they gutted glyphs. An entired end game system was nerfed between 33-66%. I spent an entire day of nightmare dungeon farming into a glyph to have it nerfed 66%. We're not talking 5 or 10%. It's loving wild.

Oh yeah and again the game lacks any QoL. They sure as poo poo need to hotfix a search function into the stash. It's pretty obvious the decision makers on the team played the game very little or not at all.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

You know the game is successful because every iota of information generates an insane amount of hand wringing and gnashing of teeth.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Poe does need things from time to time on league start. They just say they don’t like to.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Impermanent posted:

drat that's a big nerf to the necro crit skill.

Yeah they nerfed the gently caress out of my bone spear build. Feels bad man

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

VanillaGorilla posted:

You know the game is successful because every iota of information generates an insane amount of hand wringing and gnashing of teeth.

I got a chicken sandwich yesterday and it was terrible! Gonna eat three more this week

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

The PvP is actually a ton of fun, it’s super chaotic. Definitely give it a try. I hope they’ll stick to their word of not balancing for it though. It doesn’t need to be anything more than an unbalanced fun side activity

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Blizzard granting professional stream dudes early access and then invalidating their builds on the eve of launch is pretty funny though

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

For a 60 second cooldown, Cataclysm feels like straight rear end.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

queeb posted:

im using corpse explosion w blood surge as a spender. i meant more that any necro build that uses corpses barely needs a basic ability if they do at all bcos you can get so much essence gain from corpses. presumably summoner focused builds do this too bcos raise skele absolutely counts

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

Blizzard granting professional stream dudes early access and then invalidating their builds on the eve of launch is pretty funny though

Kinda feels like they waited for the streamers to hit max level before pushing the nerfs out

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I just respecced to a shadow/darkness corpse explosion build w/ skeletons and that seems more fun than bone spear, anyway. For sure less lonely.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

soscannonballs posted:

Kinda feels like they waited for the streamers to hit max level before pushing the nerfs out

Really? It feels more reactionary to Rob (and I'm sure a few others) being super close to 100 in 2.5 days and Blizzard viewing that as "broken" or not the meta they want.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
So should I not be using arc lash/chain lightning to level my sorc now? It finally clicked as a leveling build that felt good after trying a few other things out and now arc lash seems nerfed.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

fuckin rob

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

Noted Psycho Poster Panda Clue
He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You

Popoto posted:

i hope someone makes a mod that makes all classes absolutely bonkers OP if you get the right items and skills. Nerfing poo poo in a single player arpg is dumb as balls and in this case just shows they’re trying to pad the play time. lmao

Took literally one nerf patch for this thread to turn into the poe subreddit, good lord. If you're going to lose your minds about numbers going down slightly then you should prolly just not read the notes at all.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I wish questing with a group was less of an annoyance. You don't get XP for completing or any way to track a quest that someone in your party is working on that you've already finished, which is not really that big of a deal I guess because you're still getting XP and loot on the way but even a simple quest sharing thing in the log that lets you share the objective with other party members would be really nice. Even if everyone is working on the same quest everybody still has to go through the same motions unless the objective is "kill x things" which seems to be shared amongst the party thankfully. I don't really want to do main questline stuff with friends because unless we're all on the exact same step the party leader is the only one getting credit for doing the quests. The party system just feels, like a lot of things in this game, a bit undercooked for what you'd hope in a new diablo with an MMO flair to it.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I got an achievement for finishing a dungeon in two minutes. I definitely just TP'd out near the end and came back and just beat the boss for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

InventorOfTrees posted:

Took literally one nerf patch for this thread to turn into the poe subreddit, good lord. If you're going to lose your minds about numbers going down slightly then you should prolly just not read the notes at all.

tbf even poe doesn't nerf skills at the start of the league, the only time i recall them nerfing something was during herald meta. sure this isn't a league but i can see why people are upset because they were already invested in a build and blizz knew about the op builds for ages.

especially for some builds cause the numbers going down weren't slight at all.

still fine for those already geared up, just painful for those in the middle