Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Are there time limits like there were in the Pathfinder games? I was hoping it would be more free form about wandering around with lots of time to collect profit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grobbo
May 29, 2014
I think Owlcat's instincts continue to be just plain bad when it comes to plotting out a story or building a mood (the Lord of Change popping up without fanfare or menace to foreshadow stuff to the protagonist at the end of the tutorial was a hell of a thing), but man, I massively appreciate their absurd big-swing ambition and I'm glad they exist.

Combat is fun too, so far.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

When the Chaos space marine shows up it's also a bit of a wasted opportunity. You don't come across squads of PDF blown to pieces or hear reports of some terrifying soldier of the Archenemy's wiping people out. He just shows up and is then fairly non-threatening as an enemy and your party steps on him unless you're on Core difficulty perhaps. Definitely could have benefited more of a build-up/payoff I think.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

im desperate for this game to come out

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

grobbo posted:

I think Owlcat's instincts continue to be just plain bad when it comes to plotting out a story or building a mood (the Lord of Change popping up without fanfare or menace to foreshadow stuff to the protagonist at the end of the tutorial was a hell of a thing), but man, I massively appreciate their absurd big-swing ambition and I'm glad they exist.

Combat is fun too, so far.

To be fair; Him showing up and going 'oh the fated thing didn't happen? uhhhh... Ok, YOU are the new fated thing that was totally meant to happen. JUST AS PLANNED EEEEEHEHEHE' Tzeentch being a self contradicting dweeb is on brand.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Issaries posted:

So is there any easy way to raise your profit factor?

Just finished the 1:st chapter and my 15 PF is pathetic. Can't afford anything.
Literally got lvl 6 rep with the mechanicus. but can't buy poo poo.

IIRC in Act 2 (where you get to explore the areas around Footfall) you should get contracts and stuff where you trade the resources from your planets for PF and other resources. At least, that was how it worked in the alpha. They should be listed in your journal.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So is it good?

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Arglebargle III posted:

So is it good?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Captain Oblivious posted:

So uh, no reason but did you play Wrath of the Righteous and how did you feel about Camellia if so

Absolutely no reason at all.

haha I did. it's why I'm expecting this to bite me in the rear end

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
anyone find the space marine companion yet? where's he at?

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Keep getting a crash on Kiava Gamma, I think it's one specific guy causing it. Looks like I'm not the only one so hopefully thsy do a hotfix soon

Arglebargle III posted:

So is it good?

Yup!!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I will say that finally focusing on exclusively turn based combat will probably mean the combat will end up far more polished and functional then previous games.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Arglebargle III posted:

So is it good?

Yeah it's a really good time, nails the 40k vibe, nails being a rogue trader, combat is fast for a turn based because your crew are badass

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Arglebargle III posted:

So is it good?

Others are much further in, but it feels pretty consistent with the Owlcat's Pathfinder games to me so far, for good and for ill.

- Spending time in the character-building tab is enjoyably juicy, occasionally a little bewildering. I don't know what the hell I'm making with my Marksman Rogue Trader or if I should be developing his second doctrine instead, but I'm having a good time figuring things out; while there aren't quite as many options, I think by launch it should be a similarly satisfying experience for anyone who enjoyed making a triceratops-riding cavalier or whatever in WotR.

- As with WotR, we spend a significant time in-game jumping in and out of the dialogue box, sometimes with only a bit of running through corridors to break up conversations or cutscenes. A lot of very dense long-winded paragraphs that feel competently rather than expertly rendered in English. Characters are often 25% more melodramatic or randomly grandiloquent than I'd like.

- Some entertaining (and usually entertainingly mean-spirited) dialogue choices in all of that, but quite a lot of skill usage seems to be clicking on insignificant background content to get extra XP and a description line. Not much reference to world backgrounds or career choices that I've caught.

- Combat has some eccentricities (attacks and "abilities" are arranged and assigned separately, even though some abilities are simply attacks in their own right. Others recharge attacks, and others are buffs or debuffs; you can run out of attacks quickly but then have plenty of action points left for multiple abilities) but I think it has good bones, and I prefer it to the Pathfinder games' turn-based fighting thus far. Friendly fire is an amusingly big deal; your psyker can zap herself with her own lightning bolt because she aimed it too close, and you can easily gun down your own comrades in melee by mistake.

- As with the Pathfinder games, pacing is sometimes off; you can experience a long crawl through combat rooms and runaround plot diversions (head to the X to find Y so that you can unlock Z and then get back to A) followed by an ultra-fast heaping-on of character entrances, betrayals, and melodrama in a single cutscene.

- Villains and companions are broadly drawn. Like in WotR, the villains enjoy portaling in / out after giving you a villainous speech; also like in WotR, Owlcat seems to have a real thing for what I can only describe as plaintive monster-girls. (I haven't spent much time with Cassia yet, but I don't think she's going to be showing up in a John Blanche artwork any time soon)

- A ton of love and reckless ambition put into the detail (level art is a little more bright and Shadowrun Returns-esque that you'd expect from a 40k game, but it's still lovely to look at), the scope of the entire enterprise, and mini side-quests around managing your ship, which are reliably fun and engaging.

grobbo fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 4, 2023

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

CommissarMega posted:

IIRC in Act 2 (where you get to explore the areas around Footfall) you should get contracts and stuff where you trade the resources from your planets for PF and other resources. At least, that was how it worked in the alpha. They should be listed in your journal.

Yeah. I remember that too, but for some reason the Orders menu was empty.
Found out that you get Orders after you finish the Footfall section and start to explore.
Probably was same in the Alpha.

edit: Looks like you can get up to 20 Profit factor from the Order and can spend up to 8 PF to get other resources.
edit2: Ooh. Went to the monastery colony and you get lot of PF from building colony up.

Issaries fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jun 5, 2023

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
so I'm on Kiava Gamma and I beat the big techpriest. i'm about to leave, but Heinrix says he doesn't wanna leave until we've found everything there. If I do leave it fails the 'secrets of the cult' quest and there's an area of the map at the top right that I can't access. there's a cogitator/cyberguard near there but it says I don't have the access codes. anyone have any insight?

failing that anyone have a way to bring up console commands so i can just hop over the gap?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Pattonesque posted:

anyone find the space marine companion yet? where's he at?

The Space Puppy is apparently picked up in Commorragh, and thus is in Act 3. Which is in the beta, but not sure if anyone here has actually reached it yet. Or if they have, no one's talked about it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Yeah I haven't played much, I keep getting distracted with other stuff. What I did play I like though.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
I love how every time you warp travel it's like "lord captain about a hundred crew members mutated into horrible abominations. several thousand others report nightmares that will haunt them forever. a successful jump, couldn't have gone better"

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
My personal favorite is the beginning of act 1 Master of Ordinance, who I think is put in there, just so Commissar types will have someone to BLAM for doomerism right after the prologue.

(he ended up just getting lashed for a month instead of blammed in my game, although he realized how close he came to getting BLAMMinated)

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Pattonesque posted:

I love how every time you warp travel it's like "lord captain about a hundred crew members mutated into horrible abominations. several thousand others report nightmares that will haunt them forever. a successful jump, couldn't have gone better"

Well, it is :colbert: If anyone here is not familiar with 40K and wants to see what an unsuccessful warp jump looks like, watch the movie Event Horizon. Seriously, it's seen by the community as an unofficial 40K prequel, an example of warp travel without a Gellar Field.

SirFozzie posted:

My personal favorite is the beginning of act 1 Master of Ordinance, who I think is put in there, just so Commissar types will have someone to BLAM for doomerism right after the prologue.

(he ended up just getting lashed for a month instead of blammed in my game, although he realized how close he came to getting BLAMMinated)

Honestly, if the guy in charge of your big guns cannot take a little shipboard stress, he deserves to be executed :commissar:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

CommissarMega posted:

Honestly, if the guy in charge of your big guns cannot take a little shipboard stress, he deserves to be executed :commissar:

That's the Master of Ordnance. The Master of Ordinance is in charge of the HOA in the crew quarters.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Popy posted:

god i hope you can get a Ork freeboota on your squad

And a Kabalite & Wych and Kroot, just like in the tabletop :pray:

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Considering how big space marines are a freebooter ork companion that also gets bigger as it ranks up would be pretty cool.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Ork Freeboota only if he's a romance option :unsmigghh:

Honestly though, I'm p. happy with my current party of:

1: Melee Trader
2: Heinrik
3: Pasqal
4: Argenta
5: Cassia
6: Yrliet

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
anyone have any idea how to complete the "classified information" quest? it says i have to authorize database decryption on the personal cogitator but can't find anywhere to do that. talking to pascal reveals nothing

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

https://www.reddit.com/r/RogueTraderCRPG/comments/140s853/feedback_on_the_current_state_of_combat_and/

having got to the end of act 1 i am kind of in the position of this reddit dude - there's a lot to like, but the fights are sort of brain dead and i wouldn't want them any harder because they're so numerous. i'm also a little over endless levelling up of my guys.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I do really wish there was a pre-made levelup path like in Wrath so I don't need to tediously do it myself. I like combat fast and plentiful personally, but agree that I haven't felt threatened by basically any fight. I am on Normal though maybe Core is the real game

Also I've played enough Pathfinder to know that I absolutely do not miss doing the math to figure the optimal way to stack eleven buffs and debuffs and prebuffs on each character before every single fight. In fact, it can go to hell

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
not that I don't appreciate having granular data but every skill being like "this will do PHYS/INT*2 + .75 WILL unless WILL is lower than STR in which case etc. etc." doesn't make each individual level up feel particularly powerful

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Has anyone noticed homeworld/career-specific dialogues apart from the Commissar? Got me that restartitis again :downs:

grobbo
May 29, 2014
None that I've seen, although I imagine the flavour text is easy to slip in at the end.

The biggest obstacle to a restart for me is the Star Thoroughfare; it's just a bit of an endless slog, especially it's essentially the same mystery as the prison planet but 5 times as long, and peaks twice with the cult ritual and then the cannon.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I like video games... that are good

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Lol there's already a Toybox on Nexus. Modders work quick

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

sebmojo posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/RogueTraderCRPG/comments/140s853/feedback_on_the_current_state_of_combat_and/

having got to the end of act 1 i am kind of in the position of this reddit dude - there's a lot to like, but the fights are sort of brain dead and i wouldn't want them any harder because they're so numerous. i'm also a little over endless levelling up of my guys.

Honestly, there's a lot more trash fights then you should have for a turn based rpg like this.

Every fight should be meaningful in some way, either as a barrier to entry almost like a skills check, or some importance in the people/things you are killing.

Mowing down a bunch of no name gangers for the 5th time, combat taking 5-10 minutes since there's 10+ enemies to deal with, isn't fun. With rtwp it at least goes a lot faster.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Minor patch out, fixing dialogue loops and working on ship ramming (which may be this game's Charge, ie, endlessly fiddling to get it to work)(

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2186680/view/3685679532815807430

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

pentyne posted:

Honestly, there's a lot more trash fights then you should have for a turn based rpg like this.

Every fight should be meaningful in some way, either as a barrier to entry almost like a skills check, or some importance in the people/things you are killing.

Mowing down a bunch of no name gangers for the 5th time, combat taking 5-10 minutes since there's 10+ enemies to deal with, isn't fun. With rtwp it at least goes a lot faster.

I don't know if I've played a single CRPG where every fight was meaningful. Like most games do not have trash to the degree Owlcat's do, but plenty of them have encounters with enemies that only exist to be a pain in your rear end or walking XP sacks.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I was definitely enjoying popping meatsacks until after the parade, but at that point it started to get a little old.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
yeah right now you see an enemy counter of "27" and it's like "OK there is zero chance I'm losing this battle it's just gonna take a half hour"

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

It feels like a common pitfall of games trying to emulate Nu X-Com that they fail to grasp how central brevity is to that game's combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

If combat/interface elements were snappier the combat would be less tedious in some cases. Most enemies die in one or two shots, it's the slow animations and the delays around actions and annoying forced camera moves that drag everything out.