Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

Venomous posted:

Lesnar/Nakamura is worth it if you like seeing Shinsuke Nakamura treated like the fuckin nerd he was before his KOSS run

this made me wonder: how's WWE treating Shinsuke these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Kenny will probably keep doing it and rename it the Drive Rush. Or make a new move called Drive Rush and replace it.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Good Listener posted:

Kenny will probably keep doing it and rename it the Drive Rush. Or make a new move called Drive Rush and replace it.

Drive Impact honestly sounds like a pretty believable wrestling move name.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Suleman posted:

Drive Impact honestly sounds like a pretty believable wrestling move name.

You're right. I'm still not used to the new mechanic names so I change my answer to Drive Rush/Impact haha

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Lesnar's NJPW run was so underwhelming that it probably was better for them that he skipped town instead of dropping the belt to Tana. The Ace winning a tournament for the title was just the clean break Yuke's owned New Japan needed from the Inoki era compared to a lazy Lesnar losing to Tana (even if I kinda of would want to see what a disaster that match would be)

It is a super interesting period in terms of backstage stuff though given Brock fighting the WWE no compete to Inoki trying to keep control while not appearing to be in control

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

this made me wonder: how's WWE treating Shinsuke these days?
In the past three years
- He had a long back and forth feud with Baron Corbin over a crown
- He won the IC belt off Nigerian Warlord Apollo Crews and then didn't defend the belt for eight months before losing it to Sami Zayn in his second defense
- He formed a tag team with BOOGS and got onto the main card of a PPV for the first time in two years, but in the match BOOGS blew out his quad a few minutes in and the team got scrapped
- He sort of filled in for Orton as Riddle's sidekick in a feud against the Bloodline for a few weeks then disappeared
- He came back to put over Gunther in a short program
- Then he appeared once in NXT
- Then he was a surprise tag team partner for Hit Row on an episode of Smackdown
- Then he disappeared from television for like six months (he continued to appear on house shows and wrestled Muta at his retirement show in Japan)
- Recently he got drafted to Raw, where he started a feud with the Miz

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

Edge & Christian posted:

In the past three years
- He won the IC belt off Nigerian Warlord Apollo Crews and then didn't defend the belt for eight months before losing it to Sami Zayn in his second defense
- He formed a tag team with BOOGS and got onto the main card of a PPV for the first time in two years, but in the match BOOGS blew out his quad a few minutes in and the team got scrapped
- He sort of filled in for Orton as Riddle's sidekick in a feud against the Bloodline for a few weeks then disappeared
- Then he was a surprise tag team partner for Hit Row on an episode of Smackdown
- Then he disappeared from television for like six months (he continued to appear on house shows and wrestled Muta at his retirement show in Japan)

Jesus Christ

i can't name anyone more brutally wasted in-ring, even considering WWE as a retirement tour/surf spot road trip

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

it owns that nakamura is treating wwe the way brock treated njpw

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

ItohRespectArmy posted:

it owns that nakamura is treating wwe the way brock treated njpw

for him. not for me!!!!!

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I think someone once said that Nakamura already did his art so now hes getting paid.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Edge & Christian posted:

In the past three years

It's very considerate of WWE and Nakamura to not make me miss anything he's doing there while I am busy not watching WWE.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

It's very considerate of WWE and Nakamura to not make me miss anything he's doing there while I am busy not watching WWE.

Hear me out, the Baron Corbin thing was good because it directly lead us to sad boy corbin which was in my opinion some of the best stuff I've seen out of WWE in decades. On the other hand, the ending to sad boy corbin being flubbed by basically deus ex machina was some of the shittiest writing I'd ever seen out of WWE in decades, so it balances.

Edit: Question: Why do people poo poo on corbin mercilessly around here? I didn't really see anything from him outside of sad boy corbin, but what I saw in that was a slightly better than average WWE dude who can take a gimmick and run with it, was it a case of dude catching lightning in a bottle with that one specific moment in time and him just being absolutely terrible outside of that?

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 4, 2023

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Defenestrategy posted:

Hear me out, the Baron Corbin thing was good because it directly lead us to sad boy corbin which was in my opinion some of the best stuff I've seen out of WWE in decades. On the other hand, the ending to sad boy corbin being flubbed by basically deus ex machina was some of the shittiest writing I'd ever seen out of WWE in decades, so it balances.

Edit: Question: Why do people poo poo on corbin mercilessly around here? I didn't really see anything from him outside of sad boy corbin, but what I saw in that was a slightly better than average WWE dude who can take a gimmick and run with it, was it a case of dude catching lightning in a bottle with that one specific moment in time and him just being absolutely terrible outside of that?

Corbin isn't *bad,* but for many many years they pushed him as one of their top heels, if not THE top heel, including a long stint as General Manager where he dressed like an Applebee's waiter. He wasn't good enough for this push and it was painful for watch.

A great deal of this overlapped with Roman's mega-push as their top star, and they crossed paths a great, great many times.

It all sucked! Just like Roman, Corbin got pushed way past where he should have been on the card and on the show and the WWE knew it. At one point they even tried to blame how bad their shows were on him since he was 'General Manager' and swore things would be better (they weren't).

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Yeah I remember liking Corbin in NXT because he was a greasy shithead lone wolf biker with some charisma, then WWE put the patented rear end in a top hat In Suit gimmick on him. I caught a bit of the Sad Corbin stuff on my out of even reading about WWE and liking it, but man was it ever too little, too late and transparently not going to last.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Vandar posted:

It all sucked! Just like Roman, Corbin got pushed way past where he should have been on the card and on the show and the WWE knew it. At one point they even tried to blame how bad their shows were on him since he was 'General Manager' and swore things would be better (they weren't).

This was when Vince, Steph, and Triple H came out and did a "we're listening to the fans" promo thinking they were going to sign Omega and the Bucks, blamed how awful the show was on Baron Corbin, and then a month later AEW was announced and they doubled and later tripled down on telling the audience what they wanted

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I'm a Corbin apologist. I think he's a nice guy, a solid wrestler, thought the Sad Boy Corbin gimmick, King Corbin gimmick, and his NXT run first as the saddest monster in wrestling and then as a shithead Indy killer were both extremely funny. Happy Corbin was one of the first things I saw when I peeked my head back into wrestling during one of the Survivor Series shows and the theme cracked me up. Dude has a lot of goofy charisma and feels like he at least tries to put everything he can into whatever he's given...

...But he was absolutely over pushed, made to retire Kurt Angle for no reason, constantly got the weird "upper midcard but we won't commit to a main event push" thing that WWE does that ended up making him just look like a geed, and when he finally started getting over it's my understanding that most people are not like I was when it came to Happy Corbin. The dude is also just serviceable in the ring which is at odds to everything they tried to do with him. Most recently it feels like the JBL pairing just went nowhere and they immediately ran out of ideas.

I think he gets over-hated but from what I saw with WWE and how they used him I guess I can't really blame most people since I missed big chunks of his GM run and onward.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Is Batista the actual best actor who had previously been a professional wrestler? Cena is apparently a lot better but I can't imagine he holds a candle to Batista. The Rock just plays The Rock in every movie.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Is Batista the actual best actor who had previously been a professional wrestler? Cena is apparently a lot better but I can't imagine he holds a candle to Batista. The Rock just plays The Rock in every movie.

Cena in Peacemaker is incredible, but it's still a very loud performance where Cena gets to yell gently caress a lot. On that basis it's hard to compare him to Batista since Big Dave actually managed to get in some quieter roles like in Blade Runner 2.

What we really need in order to decide is a drama starring those two. Like, Brokeback Mountain but for bodybuilding and it stars Cena and Batista.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Grendels Dad posted:

Cena in Peacemaker is incredible, but it's still a very loud performance where Cena gets to yell gently caress a lot. On that basis it's hard to compare him to Batista since Big Dave actually managed to get in some quieter roles like in Blade Runner 2.

What we really need in order to decide is a drama starring those two. Like, Brokeback Mountain but for bodybuilding and it stars Cena and Batista.

Cena is also pretty bad in Fast 9 (I am yet to see X) so he's definitely limited. Bautista is the best of any in the modern era, there are a bunch of character actors who also wrestled from the 50s-70s so its hard to compare/remember them..

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

When Angle announced that he was going to have his retirement match at WrestleMania, I joked to someone that it would be against Corbin, because it made no sense and the company seemed to involve him in every major program. Then they went and actually did it.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Diabolik900 posted:

When Angle announced that he was going to have his retirement match at WrestleMania, I joked to someone that it would be against Corbin, because it made no sense and the company seemed to involve him in every major program. Then they went and actually did it.

Did they even have Corbin do anything as a result of beating Angle?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I think the icing on the "why are people down on Baron Corbin" cake is that after years and years of the well-articulated weird start-stop push as described above, it's been exceedingly obvious for a couple of years that they've given up on ever giving him a real push.

After he retired Kurt Angle, they tried pushing him (and Lacey Evans) as the power couple that was going to take Seth and Becky's titles, a feud that Corbin lost decisively. Then he started picking on Chad Gable and lost to him in an upset. Then he spent six months leading the Alliance to End Romanmania where he lost four out of five matches in the feud and won one of them because it turned into a five on one handicap match.

After that, he spent a year mostly losing matches, losing his crown, going on a losing streak and becoming poor, then he got rich/happy and continued to lose a lot. Then his sidekick turned on him and beat him. Then he lost to Pat McAffee. Then he lost some more. Then he got JBL as a manager and won a few matches before losing a bunch more matches. Now he's gone down to NXT to lose some more matches.

All talent aside, there's a slot in WWE where a bunch of people exist (currently I'd say the Miz, Baron Corbin, Dolph Ziggler, Natalya, and probably some others I'm blanking on) that when someone is placed into a feud with them, it means they've at least temporarily given up on you doing anything of note, because they're never going to do anything of note with the person you're feuding with.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

This was when Vince, Steph, and Triple H came out and did a "we're listening to the fans" promo thinking they were going to sign Omega and the Bucks, blamed how awful the show was on Baron Corbin, and then a month later AEW was announced and they doubled and later tripled down on telling the audience what they wanted
Does anyone have a link to this? I tried to hatewatch it at one point and was unable to figure it out. Though knowing it was when they were blaming General Manager Corbin might make it easier

K this seems tentatively to be it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tS6peY1ZmI

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Is there any woman wrestler I haven't seen (which is honestly anyone outside the American companies) that you could call "the lady version of RUSH"

I just want someone who realistically clobbers the living gently caress out of people. Present-day, though. I've got plenty of 90s stuff to watch still.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
LuFisto the Living Anime or whatever conglomerate of her gimmicks you want to appreciate was pretty believable in the deathmatch stuff I saw her do

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Is there any woman wrestler I haven't seen (which is honestly anyone outside the American companies) that you could call "the lady version of RUSH"

I just want someone who realistically clobbers the living gently caress out of people. Present-day, though. I've got plenty of 90s stuff to watch still.

Well modern Joshi isn't violence focused in the way that would create a 1:1 RUSH. But here's a list of clobberers (note I'm not up on Stardom, ACT wrez, or Ice Ribbon):

Ryo Mizunami (although she tends to be very ironic in her clobbering)
Yoshiko (but she hasn't wrestled since 2022)
Nanae Takahashi is post-peak 90s and very stiff
DASH Chisako
Chihiro Hashimoto (but she's more of a power wrestler)
TJPW has a wrestler called Toga who's very scary
Meiko Satomura is late 90s and unfortunately consigned to WWE

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 5, 2023

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Max The Impaler is nonbinary and clobbers any and all genders but has been booked for TJPW a few times.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Corbin made his WWE debut at a time when nXt still had plenty of indie juice. But WWE, being WWE went all 'No, you want CORBIN'!

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/otd_in_wwe/status/1665330475131363329?s=21&t=RQKQWUEiQXczWO7NxEf0bw

This and the Mankind title win are two of my favorites. What are some other title wins that have stayed in your brain?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Kurt Angles first was a pretty memorable one. I was very surprised at the time because he was so new. Also Chris Benoit's (at the time).

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Jericho being the one to unify the wwf and wcw titles was a memorable surprise.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

RandolphCarter posted:

https://twitter.com/otd_in_wwe/status/1665330475131363329?s=21&t=RQKQWUEiQXczWO7NxEf0bw

This and the Mankind title win are two of my favorites. What are some other title wins that have stayed in your brain?

That wasn't 50 years ago???

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Suplex Liberace posted:

That wasn't 50 years ago???

"Mikey Whipwreck was born 50 years ago, here is a famous thing he did!"

Wrestling journalism.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Shout out to Roddy Piper for They Live

Defenestrategy posted:

I think someone once said that Nakamura already did his art so now hes getting paid.

The deal with Shinsuke was he was very much phoning in the multi-mans in NJPW even by the end and really only getting up for marquee matches. Seems like he’s been working semi-permanently hurt for a very long time. Can’t blame him for cashing checks and surfing.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i like corbin's bbq instagram and he has good movie taste

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I liked every movie part I ever saw Jesse Ventura in, though he was definitely in the category of "Whatever he does he's playing Jesse Ventura"

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGoTB-IAfuY

A cinematic star for the ages

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

harperdc posted:

Shout out to Roddy Piper for They Live It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

:D

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Going to put in a word for Brian Glover, who went from classic era World Of Sport as Leon Arras to a thirty year career in British film and TV which started with Kes and went through Alien 3 and American Werewolf in London.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Is everyone forgetting CM Punk and the Girl On The Third Floor?