Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

"Or something" allows for the similar types of places all over the world.

Amethyst posted:

Maga country?! I’m not even in America you freak! This is the oddest conversation I’ve attempted in the web in a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Acktuwally my statistics show that it’s impossible for an audience to dislike Spiderman unless they are trump voters. Normal stuff. Get a grip.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
It's totally OK to not like something a ton of people love, but maybe there are better ways to express that dissonance than trying to convince a group of people who liked it that actually most people hate it.

I'm pretty pumped to go and see it again today, this time with friends.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Darko posted:

You are accusing me of either imaging a pretty simple event or worse, I’m projecting it into strangers for emotional reasons. Not a normal thing to post, about a Spiderman cartoon!
I didn’t even say they hated the whole movie! They just booed at the end!

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Wittgen posted:

It's totally OK to not like something a ton of people love, but maybe there are better ways to express that dissonance than trying to convince a group of people who liked it that actually most people hate it.

Yeah, I utterly hated Avengers when I saw it, but I also didn't bother to convince myself/people that everyone around me hated it too. It would be really hard for me to find a theater where everyone else felt the same way I did when that movie came out.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
A small thing I liked and haven’t seen mentioned in the last few pages were the comic book title cards—they were fun and creative, I can’t remember, did they have them in the last movie? I just wish they’d stayed on screen for longer than a second, it took me a few of them to even figure out exactly what they were trying to do (maybe a personal problem—I thought the movie overall was a little too frenetic visually, which is obviously what some people like about it).

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Wittgen posted:

Literally did not say that you weirdo!

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Ok clearly this is still the worst board in the forum. Enjoy the fanfest

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Amethyst posted:

You are accusing me of either imaging a pretty simple event or worse, I’m projecting it into strangers for emotional reasons. Not a normal thing to post, about a Spiderman cartoon!
I didn’t even say they hated the whole movie! They just booed at the end!

When the convo shifted to "people were probably booing at the cliffhanger and you were projecting," you started mocking people. I like citations, so I quoted audience reaction stats to show how unlikely it was anything but that outside of some odd collection of people. People don't care if you didn't like the movie, people are questioning the likelihood of what your anecdote is based on.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Darko posted:

When the convo shifted to "people were probably booing at the cliffhanger and you were projecting," you started mocking people. I like citations, so I quoted audience reaction stats to show how unlikely it was anything but that outside of some odd collection of people. People don't care if you didn't like the movie, people are questioning the likelihood of what your anecdote is based on.

Freak.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 8 days!)

hiddenriverninja posted:

It ends in the same way that Empire Strikes Back does: it's kind of a downer but it makes you excited for what's gonna happen next.

Idk, people say this, but Empire Strikes Back had a winding down with all the characters reflecting and was like yea, this is the end of the movie.
It wasn't like Empire Strikes Back ended after Luke's hand got chopped off, Vader goes 'I'm your father' and Luke drops down the shaft, then credits roll. Which is what this movie actually kind of does.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Accusing someone of emotional projection over an anecdote about a movie theatre is, in fact, not normal. Please understand this before you dig into citations about how it’s impossible that an audience would boo Spiderman.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Communist Thoughts posted:

They shoulda just called it part 1 but then people probably woulda done what I woulda and waited until both parts were out to watch it

I assume the animation setpieces were so expensive Sony only agreed to the movie if it could be split into two films and then padded out with lower effort dialogue scenes about Parenting

The original teaser actually did call it Part 1, but none of the subsequent ones did (I think; I only watched the first official trailer released and that original teaser). I'm pretty sure most of my audience didn't see the cliff-hanger coming judging from the "awkward shuffle out" reaction that at least some people had at our show as well.

Also "padding out" an animated movie is not really a thing that happens; you can cut an animated movie down to 90 minutes or less and given the opportunity any studio would do that instead of spending the money on additional scenes. I'm not in the directors or writers' heads or anything but if it's in the movie it's probably because they wanted it in the movie.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
They should’ve had a mid credits preview for the next movie like an anime

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 8 days!)

hatty posted:

or a Back to the Future style where they show the trailer for the next one right after, but then thinking about it, I think the trailers for this movie was too much. So I rather not get spoiled about anything. I think I only saw like trailer 1 for this movie, and avoided the rest.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Or at least put a projected release date for the next movie at the end there. People in my theater were thinking that they’d have to wait another five years lol

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Darko posted:

Just quoting this again because it’s truly insulting. “Other similar places”. You accuse me of projection, you are judging my entire country as Trumpian by one theatres negative reaction to spiderverse?you literally have no clue where I live! hosed up way to post, darko.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

hatty posted:

Matrix 2 did this. Also, this movie is doing numbers

https://twitter.com/ercboxoffice/status/1665369528195330049?s=42&t=n9XOB__FsjfMKZEtrZQ1YA

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yawgmoft posted:

My theater did the aww breaking into a loud applause as described by someone above

My thought is that Miguel is so obviously in the wrong with the "then I quit" twist that I'd believe this is a Superior Spiderman twist where Octavius took over the body of Miguel when he says "he died"

Miguel is kind of a jerk and a hothead but he's not evil.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Right the idea is that Miguel is the overbearing Spider Dad. He’s not evil but he doesn’t let spiders spread their wings and do their own thing.

As a new parent, I enjoy how much this one is about the difficulty of being a good father/parent and the right way to raise kids.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

The Saddest Rhino posted:

How did they do all the art in this movie :psyduck:

Very carefully.

checkplease posted:

As a new parent, I enjoy how much this one is about the difficulty of being a good father/parent and the right way to raise kids.

the dad-ification of Sony video games has spread to Sony superhero movies. What Hath Been Wrought

mutantIke fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jun 4, 2023

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

mutantIke posted:

Very carefully.

the dad-ification of Sony video games has spread to Sony superhero movies. What Hath Been Wrought

Ha what’s been happening in video games?

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

smug n stuff posted:

A small thing I liked and haven’t seen mentioned in the last few pages were the comic book title cards—they were fun and creative, I can’t remember, did they have them in the last movie?

I just got done re-watching the first movie and, yes, they did and I'm both they serve the same basic function of signalling chapter breaks.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Amethyst posted:

Just quoting this again because it’s truly insulting. “Other similar places”. You accuse me of projection, you are judging my entire country as Trumpian by one theatres negative reaction to spiderverse?you literally have no clue where I live! hosed up way to post, darko.

I dunno, Australia gives off some pretty strong redneck hick vibes, tbh

Eta, I had no idea who you were, but when you started getting aggro, I had a look at your post history. Looks pretty angry overall.
Come smoke a weed about it in byob, and all will be well, friend.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jun 4, 2023

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

checkplease posted:

Ha what’s been happening in video games?

a lot of triple-A narrative-heavy singleplayer games in the past decade or so have adopted narratives about Parenting and Getting Too Old For This poo poo (see: TLOU, Uncharted 4, God Of War Reboot) because gamers and game developers are all dads now

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Just saw it, it was good. Bit slow to start with after the prologue but once it picked up steam it was a real entertaining ride

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

mutantIke posted:

a lot of triple-A narrative-heavy singleplayer games in the past decade or so have adopted narratives about Parenting and Getting Too Old For This poo poo (see: TLOU, Uncharted 4, God Of War Reboot) because gamers and game developers are all dads now

It's also because a lot of thirty-something gamers aren't dads, and it offers them a fantasy outlet to experience that kind of thing.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Watching this made me appreciate the trailers more because parts of them straight up lied to you.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Codependent Poster posted:

Miguel is at the terminus of "Finding Out" whereas Miles is still just dipping his toes into "gently caress Around"

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
I loved this movie, I’m going to see it a second time next weekend, but one question: did anyone else think the sound mix was off?

Maybe it was my theater’s sound system, but some of the dialogue was extremely difficult to pick out against the background sound effects and music track.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Shitshow posted:

I loved this movie, I’m going to see it a second time next weekend, but one question: did anyone else think the sound mix was off?

Maybe it was my theater’s sound system, but some of the dialogue was extremely difficult to pick out against the background sound effects and music track.

At least in the prologue, the drumming felt far too loud—maybe intentional, but it was distracting to me. I felt like the rest was basically fine, though.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Shitshow posted:

I had trouble hearing Gwen over the drums a little bit in the opening but I thought that might be kinda the point.

then I found Hobie pretty hard to understand most of the time but that's for other reasons

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Yawgmoft posted:

My theater did the aww breaking into a loud applause as described by someone above

My thought is that Miguel is so obviously in the wrong with the "then I quit" twist that I'd believe this is a Superior Spiderman twist where Octavius took over the body of Miguel when he says "he died"

Given that Miguel is seen injecting himself with some Spider Substance, and Miles says “Claws?! Are you even a Spider-man?!” That there’s some sort of twist or complication involving his spider-hood. Perhaps he’s a non-Spider-Man deliberately choosing to keep giving himself Spider powers? Either way he seems off in some way. It’ll be interesting to see where his character goes.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Audible sound-mixing is nothing but a tool of the Capitalist Agenda.

Christopher Nolan and his jock-strap are rebels.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Codependent Poster posted:

Not evil but also not a hero.

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Goddamn this movie. That part where they meet and it's all vague color swatches that starts to resemble the washed out illustration of something someone might actually want to live in as they reconcile their differences and work through their grief.

That should win Cannes or something suitably artsy shmartsy. That was intensely beautiful.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I just saw this and since I had avoided reading anything about it I didn't know that it ended with a cliffhanger but it was cool enough that I'm okay with that

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Re: Miguel

Given that Prowler is woven into the fabric of Miles' life so much, I thought Miguel was basically supposed to be a similar foil/reminiscent with the claws and the like.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Harlock posted:

Re: Miguel

Given that Prowler is woven into the fabric of Miles' life so much, I thought Miguel was basically supposed to be a similar foil/reminiscent with the claws and the like.

Miguel also inherits Prowler's musical sting motif.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
The direction and animation were incredible, especially with the Gwen stuff which honestly blew me away, but the first movie was a better movie, this one stretches itself too thin.

Shitshow posted:

My friend noted the same thing.