Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I wonder if Bridgen would have been suspended from the Tories if he'd compared the vaccine to any other historical event. Like he could have gone for Unit 731 or the Tuskegee syphilis experiment or Thatcher bankrolling Pol Pot or the British use of typhus as a weapon of war in Africa and those would all have been equally appalling bullshit comparisons, but he went straight for the Holocaust.

I also wonder if he ever compared his failure to potato to the Famine.

Blitz good because our enemy was a foreigner, Lockdown bad because our enemy was our own self importance.

e: Seven segment displays have 7 segments but they only use 3 or 4 to display the number 7. When all 7 segments are illuminated, it displays the number 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

We may not have physically been there but emotionally and spiritually we are living in the trenches.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I liked Henning Wehn's bit that if you were a toddler during the Blitz you were a drain on resources and essentially helping the German war effort . solid bit of wind-up there

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I learnt all I need to know about the Blitz from Cockney Wanker in Viz.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Guavanaut posted:

e: Seven segment displays have 7 segments but they only use 3 or 4 to display the number 7. When all 7 segments are illuminated, it displays the number 8.

You've just given me flashbacks to a dreadful job I had as a sales engineer in an electronics firm 40 years ago... aarrghhhhhhhhh ....

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Which is a lot like the blitz, if you think about it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Bring back nixie tubes. One wire = one number, bish bosh.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I thought it was 50 actually. Not only the right to claim you lived through WW2 & fought on the beaches, but you were also down in the trenches during WW1.
Where's my Medal? I'm feeling left out.

(Assuming you got into WW1 in 1918 aged 14 - as it seems quite a few chaps faked their ages to 'do their bit' - you'd be 119 now. And WW2 in 1945 aged 14 you'd be 92 now. My mum 85 was a mere toddler in WW2.)
I know you're pushing on a bit in age and thats fine because we'll all get there but I'm a big lover of your contributions to this thread and have been for a long time, however the second you start pretending to be a survivor of either World War is the the time I'll passively aggressively report every single one of your posts for any pedantic reason I can find because I wouldn't be mean enough to confront you directly.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Trin Tragula posted:

Just picking up on this: a very similar culture was responsible for the wiring error during the Waterloo Area Resignalling project which was the direct cause of the Clapham Junction crash*.

A few years ago I read a RAIB report which, among many other things, noted something along the lines of "We are concerned that the lessons of Clapham Junction are starting to fade from the collective memory..."

It's going to happen again.

*A brutally overworked electrician wired a signal so that it showed green when the track ahead was occupied, causing trains to run into each other; it turned out he'd been working a ludicrous number of days without a break and also hadn't been taught to do basic things like "when you finish work, check to make sure you haven't hosed anything up", nor had anyone who was supposed to be checking his work bothered to check his work.

There have been a surprising amount of near misses. Recently I worked on a big project and it wasn't until the morning where trains were just about to be allowed to run on it that it was noticed a switch had been installed incorrectly. Had trains been allowed to run they would have derailed. The switch had been installed at the end of a 14 days blockade, checked, tested and inspected and it was only luck that one of the supervisors decided to walk the site to make sure there were no tools or other equipment left out that he spotted it. My gang was one of three hauled in immediately to fix it and the project overran by 12 hours, which is infinitely preferable to any deaths that could have occurred.

There have been a few others that while wouldn't have been as sever has meant emergency works before trains could run again.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Day 10 of searing heat here in Northern Ireland and a majority of the population have now transitioned from blue, through white, to bright pink.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

smellmycheese posted:

Day 10 of searing heat here in Northern Ireland and a majority of the population have now transitioned from blue, through white, to bright pink.

This is how unionism happens.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The Red Hand, Arms, and Torso of Ulster.

It's real fucken nice in Dublin. Any hotter and the dog wouldn't be having a nice time, but as it is we're chilling in the Big Park

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
it's too fuckin windy

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Hugh_Janus888/status/1664714684551798785

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
More diverse migration, more trade union power, racism and anti-immigrant sentiment at lowest levels since records began.

Nigel Farage and Laurence Fox's Brexit has failed. Mick Lynch and Dennis Skinner's hasn't yet.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Guavanaut posted:

More diverse migration, more trade union power, racism and anti-immigrant sentiment at lowest levels since records began.

Nigel Farage and Laurence Fox's Brexit has failed. Mick Lynch and Dennis Skinner's hasn't yet.

It's weird isn't it. With all these folk (the twitterati, hexpress, heil) pushing anti-immigrant stuff, one might think it had increased but it hasn't. Kind of shows up twitter for being a rightwing echo chamber (I certainly get pushed loads of tweets from right farts. I've muted or blocked most but some I can't help myself from commenting. It's my entertainment on a long evening!)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That has, I think, got significantly worse since musk took over and a lot of the leftier people exited the platform and he started using the system to push more right wing stuff.

To think that he's probably the best thing to ever happen to @jack's reputation.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

this is funny to me because the ghoul in question looks just like boris if he used homer simpson's makeup gun

not doing lockdowns in the name of the national character is some last days of the aztecs poo poo

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
lool Diet Crack said it first

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

smellmycheese posted:

Trans Rights

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

crispix posted:

this is funny to me because the ghoul in question looks just like boris if he used homer simpson's makeup gun

not doing lockdowns in the name of the national character is some last days of the aztecs poo poo

It's Janet Daley, who's a horrible person, but you could probably have assumed that from the fact that she writes for the Telegraph.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It's weird isn't it. With all these folk (the twitterati, hexpress, heil) pushing anti-immigrant stuff, one might think it had increased but it hasn't. Kind of shows up twitter for being a rightwing echo chamber (I certainly get pushed loads of tweets from right farts. I've muted or blocked most but some I can't help myself from commenting. It's my entertainment on a long evening!)
It's amazing how little they've got considering all the platforms they've been gifted by billionaires.

Britain First getting mad at an obviously rendered rainbow on the Arc de Triomphe (but I thought LGBT rights were a sign that we were better than the Muslim world? I can't keep up.) The Telegraph mad about lockdowns that were over years ago. Bourgeois reactionaries whining that Brexit is a difficult and ongoing process that didn't instantly poo poo gold bullion into their hands like everything else in their privileged lives has.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The Telegraph has some very puzzling obsessions. They're really down on the concept of heat pumps for some reason and keep publishing pieces about how they're going to be the downfall of Western Civilisation etc etc. I dunno how this stuff gets picked, could just be down to the top staff moaning and complaining about it over drinks I guess.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There was some kind of internal spat at the Telegraph a couple of years back, between "genius inventor Boris Johnson is going to save us thousands on our bills with this" and "eco nutters are coming for your traditional wood burner", I guess representing the industrialist and pastoralist factions of Telegraph Tories.

Nobody won, but heat pumps lost.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Telegraph is still under the ownership of those wierdo replicant brothers right? Easy to assume the billionaires don't care about saving money on energy bills.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Heat pumps are just a useful technology though, and a technology we already use in things like fridges, it's like Ug writing screeds against Og for inventing the round wheel when there's nothing loving wrong with our square ones.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Since when have the political right cared about whether something already existed prior to them freaking out about it?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Tesseraction posted:

The Telegraph is still under the ownership of those wierdo replicant brothers right? Easy to assume the billionaires don't care about saving money on energy bills.

It is but one of them died.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think the underlying element, other than "it's new and different" of all reaction (and they're not really) is that they look American.

Which then makes it a debate between thatcherite Atlanticists who view Central Air as aspirational and one nation traditionalists who are still suspicious of natural gas, let alone big boxes on the outside of your house that make you look like a Yank or a corner shop.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

It's only transi-Tory.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

smellmycheese posted:

If it continues until the 12th, the Orangemen will be neon red.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/nigel_farage/status/1665390840892538885?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Nigel Farage football stickers. Featuring Nigel Farage dressed as all your favourite footballers. The Bukayo Saka and Raheem Sterling ones have been specifically condemned by the SPLC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fwSO0IGyX8

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

I hope it's pancreatic cancer

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
MAUREEN FETCH ME MY HEART PILLS!
FARAGE IS GOING TO ANNOUNCE SOMETHING
OH I FEEL SO LIGHT HEADED, CALM DOWN CALM DOWN
MAUREEN GET THE MINI UNION JACK FLAGS OUT OF THE CUPBOARD
WE MAY NEED THEM

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

SHOW US THE HOG NIGE

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Doing an R.Budd Dwyer live on stream

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

happyhippy posted:

If it continues until the 12th, the Orangemen will be neon red.

With a lot of sunscreen on them i'm sure they'll be orange all over.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Plenty liberal Remainers living in urban centres (sufh as the entire Guardian) are still convinced every Leave voter was either a open or closet racist (as Farage was). That was only a small fraction of leave voters. Leave won by tapping into nostalgia - Boris Johnsons idea of Great Britaine going it's own way and not being controlled by bonkers EU rules. It's how things were when they were kids, and things were better then than all the grim stuff in the news these days (please don't question why the news is pushing more and more negativity in their face).

And the Brexit establishment were right that the Brexit referendum was the last chance to tear the UK away from the EU - there's been a significant amount of centralisation since we left, and while the UK could have delayed that longer we'd not be able to stop integration forever, not while the four freedoms remained the core of the EU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Plenty liberal Remainers living in urban centres (sufh as the entire Guardian) are still convinced every Leave voter was either a open or closet racist (as Farage was). That was only a small fraction of leave voters. Leave won by tapping into nostalgia - Boris Johnsons idea of Great Britaine going it's own way and not being controlled by bonkers EU rules. It's how things were when they were kids, and things were better then than all the grim stuff in the news these days (please don't question why the news is pushing more and more negativity in their face).

And the Brexit establishment were right that the Brexit referendum was the last chance to tear the UK away from the EU - there's been a significant amount of centralisation since we left, and while the UK could have delayed that longer we'd not be able to stop integration forever, not while the four freedoms remained the core of the EU.

I'm sure some voted out of nostalgia, but at least a part of that nostalgia was just "not having to hear about the forrigns and how they can stroll in freely into the country":

I think a lot of it has to do with insufficient suffering - the actual numbers of migrants are irrelevant, what matters is that we really put them under the boot, no freedom of movement so that any rando can stroll about like they own the place.

Lots of leave voters love the idea of putting migrants through the wringer - charge them loads for their visa, education and healthcare, deny them access to benefits, make it hard for them to find employment and make their landlord and employer submit reports about them, jail them for years if they break immigration laws, that sort of thing.

It's similar to Tory views on benefit scroungers really, they are not opposed to having a "social safety net" in the abstract but they absolutely can't stand people getting something for nothing.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 4, 2023