Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Cuttlefush posted:

you can link audio clips to card/whatever states. you should make any bradley card play the bradley theme when it gets flipped or comes into play or whatever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snnFrwzTDJs

(no real comments but it looks neat. i have some tts friends and they get milsim itches... it's all in that workshop link right?)

I didn't update it with recent tweaks because there didn't seem to be that much interest. I'll update it tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Cuttlefush posted:

always funny when people choose to die on that hill

forgive us for we know not what we do

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

I didn't update it with recent tweaks because there didn't seem to be that much interest. I'll update it tomorrow.

definitely caught my eye (and probably most of the other people who like this thread's kinda stuff) i just didn't post. sorta sounds like the fun part of some dune card game i once played except just the fun part

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

oscarthewilde posted:

forgive us for we know not what we do

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Cuttlefush posted:

definitely caught my eye (and probably most of the other people who like this thread's kinda stuff) i just didn't post.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Cuttlefush posted:

definitely caught my eye (and probably most of the other people who like this thread's kinda stuff) i just didn't post. sorta sounds like the fun part of some dune card game i once played except just the fun part

Updated. Here is the link again https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2978803471

Feel free to play with friends, but please don't share too widely as of yet. Rules and playing tips are in the notepad.

Looking forward to feedback! The 8th Infantry deck has had a lot more playtesting than the 11th Cavalry, so it's a better starting point in my opinion.

Zeppelin Insanity has issued a correction as of 21:02 on Jun 3, 2023

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Updated. Here is the link again https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2978803471

Feel free to play with friends, but please don't share too widely as of yet. Rules and playing tips are in the notepad.

Looking forward to feedback! The 8th Infantry deck has had a lot more playtesting than the 11th Cavalry, so it's a better starting point in my opinion.

o7

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Danke

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Cuttlefush posted:

Good one

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
So anyone want to play some games?

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Orange Devil posted:

So anyone want to play some games?

im putting some dota 2 items up on the market so ill probably buy tabletop simulator tomorrow

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/underseaNavy/status/1665040756866797570?t=MMZDGa76uSwVgFmzZx1ByQ&s=19

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
oh hey, keyport. that museum aint bad. they have the trieste 2 and some good permanent exhibits. it's the place that made the torpedoes explode and then i think also not explode the ship that shot them

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
bangor has a much better museum but the entrance is kinda hidden away and the docents are really aggressive for some reason

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

the board for unnamed fulda game feel a bit cramped, reading the rules it seems like you are allowed to have multiple units on the same tile but theres only one 'slot' so you have to stack the cards which makes it a bit awkward
im not very good at using tts yet to maybe thats the issue

how are you organising matches, did you just add each other on steam or is there a discord or something?

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Megamissen posted:

the board for unnamed fulda game feel a bit cramped, reading the rules it seems like you are allowed to have multiple units on the same tile but theres only one 'slot' so you have to stack the cards which makes it a bit awkward
im not very good at using tts yet to maybe thats the issue

how are you organising matches, did you just add each other on steam or is there a discord or something?

Yes, you absolutely stack cards. It's a bit more awkward in TTS than with real cards. This is why the terrain slots\terrain cards are big, so that you can put several cards in the area. Don't worry about them being entirely centred or anything, as long as it's clear which zone they're.

Orange Devil added me on steam and that's how we played.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Cuttlefush posted:

you don't need to crucify the guy over a simple mistake

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

What's the thing on their chest?

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
signaling mirrors? flashlights

Cuttlefush has issued a correction as of 20:37 on Jun 4, 2023

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
google is so loving god awful now. trying to search for that thing is getting like 50% shopping bullshit results. god dammit it used to work

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

it also gave us one of the sickest maps ion bf 1942

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

AnimeIsTrash posted:

it also gave us one of the sickest maps ion bf 1942

somehow all the pacific maps were sick. sinking the enemy carrier on coral sea...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s1AnqmGpu8

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Minenfeld! posted:

Dieselpunk body cams

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Minenfeld! posted:

found it. they're loving flashlights. one looks like an orilux torch. there were a bunch that looked like that though.

google really refuses to give non-shopping results so it keeps bumping up etsy and other bullshit. god drat it

Cuttlefush has issued a correction as of 20:34 on Jun 4, 2023

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Flashlights. The osprey series on uniforms of the Italian campaign shows them, and I imagine those are some of the first visual references artists consult for video games (understandably so).

TW Troy had characters where I could recognize that they came from the Osprey book on the Mycenaeans and Sea Peoples.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Cuttlefush posted:

found it. they're loving flashlights. one looks like an orilux torch. there were a bunch that looked like that though.

google really refuses to give non-shopping results so it keeps bumping up etsy and other bullshit. god drat it

Yeah this is the problem I had too. Google was useless bullshit.

But TY everyone, flashlights.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I just finished "Civil War Logistics" back-to-back with "War of Logistics" (the latter about the First Indochina War) and it's just a stark viewpoint change that you start looking for "where's the logistics?!" in strategy games

not to say that it doesn't exist - Unity of Command is an outstanding example, but there's that tic in my mind's eye about setting up depots and stockpiles, delivering supplies to those depots, and setting-up the last-mile jaunt from rear-area dumps to front-line troops

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

gradenko_2000 posted:

I just finished "Civil War Logistics" back-to-back with "War of Logistics" (the latter about the First Indochina War) and it's just a stark viewpoint change that you start looking for "where's the logistics?!" in strategy games

not to say that it doesn't exist - Unity of Command is an outstanding example, but there's that tic in my mind's eye about setting up depots and stockpiles, delivering supplies to those depots, and setting-up the last-mile jaunt from rear-area dumps to front-line troops

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oT5FIxz0X28

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
The one thing I will say is that games that model both logistics and industrial production such as say, Imperialism I & II and Shadow Empire become almost immediately 100% about those aspects. Like, optimizing the development of your industry and logistics (which often break down into a relatively simple mathematical optimization problem once you sufficiently understand the game mechanics) has orders of magnitude more impact on your battlefield performance than any kind of tactics or strategy you employ on that battlefield, provided you display an absolute minimum level of basic competence.

So if you're interested in a war game this basically takes the focus entirely away from the war aspect, which is a bit of a problem in gameplay terms. Additionally, because these game don't (or very rudimentary) model the social and societal aspects of their industrial development it does break down to a math problem with a 100% correct answer and build order, which kinda makes the game a bit boring once you figure it out.

Two possible solutions I see:
1. Have a game be much more limited in scope than the country level, or at least limit the player in how much effect they have on that country level. So for example you can nudge industrial development towards one thing or another, but you don't get complete control to reshape all of society into a streamlined beast pumping out maximum well-equipped divisions or whatever. Or you model a battlespace in which production and especially logistics are very important, but it starts from a set input you then have to manage to the best of your ability. DC: Ardennes does this, though it did frustratingly get some of the inputs, especially on the German side, wrong for a long time. I'm not sure if it's better now, but it sucked to have it be wrong *and* having no control over it.

2. Try to model the social and societal aspects of industrial and logistical development. At this point I think you are a Victoria game, and well, they've managed to do this with errr, varying degrees of success. And you do then become a game primarily about those things rather than a wargame.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

shadow empire lacks the production part of logistics, as long as you have the resources you can instantly create as many tanks you want
it would be neat if you had to create armouries and foundries to produce weapons and ammunition

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
wargame tried to put logistics in but trucks only serve to refuel spearheads and depots as artillery shell stockpiles

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

is there actually a good WWII naval strategy game?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Typo posted:

is there actually a good WWII naval strategy game?

War on the sea is 'ok' but is seemingly abandoned and still needs work

Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnaughts was getting good but then seems to have stalled out and the campaign system is terrible. Got bought out by a mobile game company around the time things started going bad. Not hopeful.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

if you wanna look into wargames, Empire of the Sun and Pacific War are really good.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
oh you said strategy, i'm too stupid for those

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
- War Plan: Pacific

- Order of Battle

- comedy option: Gary Grigsby's Pacific War

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Regarde Aduck posted:

War on the sea is 'ok' but is seemingly abandoned and still needs work

Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnaughts was getting good but then seems to have stalled out and the campaign system is terrible. Got bought out by a mobile game company around the time things started going bad. Not hopeful.

The devs are also in Ukraine and iirc some of them were called up.

But yea, "Rule the Waves, but 3D" or "A Storm Eagle Studios Naval Sim, but fun and with usable UI" would be incredible.

The map layers and simulation in Jutland Pro and Distant Guns are fantastic... it's just very 1997.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

my dad posted:

The point of Total War AI is to do stupid things that let you feel smart, and it does the job well enough.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I really hope the new bronze age total war doesn't make you manage agents and family trees and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

wargame tried to put logistics in but trucks only serve to refuel spearheads and depots as artillery shell stockpiles

And now they've brought that back for Warno