Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yeah huh it is, with a controller

which is the best way to play an ARPG in 2023. if it was feasible in PoE that's how I'd play it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Managed to finish the capstone dungeon pretty easily with bone necro at 49. I have to use bone splinters more often than yesterday but otherwise the build still hits like a freight train when you have things lined up.

Looking forward to starting T3 later today.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Zipperelli. posted:

I'm having fun with the aspect of having a whole bunch of minions to cause chaos and do the grunt work, but holy poo poo is the necro weak as gently caress. Is that an aberration or blizzard nerfing as expected/intended?

necro absoutely isnt weak

hawowanlawow posted:

yeah huh it is, with a controller

which is the best way to play an ARPG in 2023. if it was feasible in PoE that's how I'd play it

works fine in poe otehr than having to log out to change input device lol

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

hawowanlawow posted:

melee in an arpg is always going to be weaker but also it's fun

The thing is, I didn't feel weak as barbarian at all, but I'm always peeking at the grass on the other side of the fence and am liable to roll an alt at any moment and when I rolled that necro I was like, drat I guess my barb did suck.

One good thing about this one is that they've moved up a lot of the interesting power skills so that you can get them much earlier of the game instead of having do builds where "well, for the first 20 levels before you unlock Keystone Skill you'll primarily be casting Piss Lick"

Kin33
Jul 3, 2007

Where is your god now?
Had no issues playing a melee druid/earth caster druid hybrid. My spirit builder was melee range and I almost always cast my spender, landslide, in melee range. I don't think I ever dropped below 4 potions until the capstone dungeon and I was 4 levels under leveled for the final act. I think people complaining about melee just aren't spending any points in defensive skills and trying to face tank mechanics.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Stux posted:

works fine in poe otehr than having to log out to change input device lol

yeah and the decision to make it that way is a prime example of D2 nostalgia brain poisoning in game balance, and I love D2

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
the more I play the more I dig the setting and story, but the less I like the level scaling and monster respawns on reload

also mommy lilith did nothing wrong

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Zipperelli. posted:

I'm having fun with the aspect of having a whole bunch of minions to cause chaos and do the grunt work, but holy poo poo is the necro weak as gently caress. Is that an aberration or blizzard nerfing as expected/intended?

Minion builds fall off in terms of damage and survivability after a while (probably so it doesn't just end up like D2 where it becomes an invincible boneman walking simulator) but a kitted out bone spear build is one of the strongest builds in the game at the moment. Not totally busted like Sorcs can be, but very strong. People are playing around with some interesting ways to make minions more efficient in the endgame but it seems to mostly rely on some sorta janky stuff centered around a specific legendary amulet.

edit: Completely unrelated but I have to admit I am a little bummed out by how boring the trophy list is for this one. Like the Diablo II remaster was totally stupid in the complete opposite direction where it wanted you to waste literal weeks / months of your life to hit 99 on a hardcore character, but they seem to have overcorrected for this one. Total non-issue in the grand scheme but it's always nice to have some weird trophies that encourage you to try something you might not have otherwise done / thought of. I also weirdly kinda miss all the goofy D3 challenges.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 4, 2023

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I started a rogue because I wanted to be ranged, turns out the bow skills all suck. Daggers for days, y'all. I'm not too sad, I get to use Puncture to plink bosses while they're doing their anti-melee moves.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

BULBASAUR posted:

the more I play the more I dig the setting and story, but the less I like the level scaling and monster respawns on reload

I've had groups respawn inside solo dungeons within a couple minutes of killing them the first time, which is kinda annoying. You don't really "clear" them anymore

site fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 4, 2023

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
yeah feels like an mmo (IE: bad)

Kin33
Jul 3, 2007

Where is your god now?

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I also weirdly kinda miss all the goofy D3 challenges.

I really hope they add the season journey stuff from diablo 3 once seasons start. Going through that and getting slayer and beyond was way more fun than chasing loot for me.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

hawowanlawow posted:

yeah and the decision to make it that way is a prime example of D2 nostalgia brain poisoning in game balance, and I love D2

i think its just tech cos it loads an entire different core ui lol but arpgs and pad support is so strange. this is proabbly the first one where its completely seamless, even in d2r there was a moment where it stuttered when you switched

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

site posted:

I've had groups respawn inside solo dungeons within a couple minutes of killing them the first time, which is kinda annoying. You don't really "clear" them anymore

They put that in after the early beta to "help" with the boring backtracking.

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

WW Barb is still pretty great pushing through t4 content with the only issue being poison and the random explode mob I can't see under the thousand different things going on.

I've not upgraded my weapon in about 10 levels and idg how Ilvl works at all. Do I need all my slots higher Ilvl for better loot? Or just that slot.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Martian Manfucker posted:

diablo characters:

L M F A O

search engine
Jun 16, 2020

I don't think there's fundamentally anything that disadvantages close range vs long range characters in arpgs. There are all sorts of mechanics that can pile up to counterbalance a difference in range, assuming there even is one. Depends on what you and/or the game are defining as melee, but even back to D2 it wasn't strictly toe-to-toe attacking.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

33 and think I'm ready to move on to Scosglen. Probably dumb to not just bumrush the story but I'm having too much fun exploring these areas. Game looks amazing and is so easy to get lost in just doing random poo poo that pops up.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
got wt3 unlocked now, if you want something that can stand in melee range of everything up to and inc the capstone dungeon boss simply roll a blood necro. zero deaths except one on the alst story boss cos i wasnt paying attention to an insant death zone lol

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Stux posted:

yuou cannot possibly be this stupid

why are you being an rear end in a top hat, who are you

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

zoux posted:

Yeah I was about 20 on mine and watched some youtube where the guy was like "you don't understand the penalty you are paying for being melee" and now I'm running a blight necro and it's night and day. I'm just melting poo poo, I have lots of buttons to push, and no shouts.

I played a few seasons of DIII so I'm well used to mouse controls but man I really like using the controller. Ideally they'll add wasd movement, but I've always hated doing boss mechanics with click-to-move

For kbm, bind force move to whatever feels comfortable and use that for movement.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I switched from Twisting Blade to Rapid Fire on Rogue and I'm enjoying both about equally. With Twisting Blades I zip around the battle at the speed of sound while everything explodes from my super high attack speed and getting whooped by flying daggers. Rapid Fire I just plant myself and use Forceful Arrow to push everything away and laugh my way to the bank.

A rare case of both playstyles being equally good and fun to play.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Wiltsghost posted:

33 and think I'm ready to move on to Scosglen. Probably dumb to not just bumrush the story but I'm having too much fun exploring these areas. Game looks amazing and is so easy to get lost in just doing random poo poo that pops up.

Yeah I'm taking it slow and exploring every little cranny I find, but I do kinda wonder if this is gonna be burn me out when I get around to starting another character. There's a ton of cool atmosphere and supplementary lore to take in, but I imagine it will feel much less interesting the second time around.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Jimbot posted:

I switched from Twisting Blade to Rapid Fire on Rogue and I'm enjoying both about equally. With Twisting Blades I zip around the battle at the speed of sound while everything explodes from my super high attack speed and getting whooped by flying daggers. Rapid Fire I just plant myself and use Forceful Arrow to push everything away and laugh my way to the bank.

A rare case of both playstyles being equally good and fun to play.

I'm enjoying rapid fire + forcefull arrow until I respec fully into traps

Kin33
Jul 3, 2007

Where is your god now?
The upside of rushing the story is you get the horse which makes exploring a lot more pleasant, especially for classes without spammable movement skills. The world is still there and able to be explored after you get the horse or beat the story.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'd recommend focusing on the story until the beginning of act 4 where you get your mount so you can promptly ignore the story and more efficiently explore every nook and cranny. It really does make getting around so much quicker.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

I'm playing rogue and have pretty good movement speed so it's not too bad but a horsie would be nice.

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

Noted Psycho Poster Panda Clue
He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You

CLAM DOWN posted:

why are you being an rear end in a top hat, who are you

some terminally online poster that thinks calling people dumb over and over again in different ways is the peak of comedy

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

BULBASAUR posted:

yeah feels like an mmo (IE: bad)

Feels like an MMOARPG

Good.

I don’t want to play dungeons and dragons online.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

I've recently finished the story on WT2 (Uniques do drop in this tier btw) and got to farm some gear with the Sacred quality prefix in WT3 world Helltide events. Sacred gear scales its power with your level, and with the game's flexible enchanting system allowing you to effectively replace most of the stats on an item including aspects, sell me continually investing upgrade resources on regular Rares/Legendaries as opposed to just working on having a single set of Sacred gear that will take you 50 to 100.

Kin33
Jul 3, 2007

Where is your god now?

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

Sacred gear scales its power with your level

Holy poo poo. That makes me feel a lot better about dumping 4m gold into trying to reroll move speed onto my boots when I wasn't paying attention to the cost.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

InventorOfTrees posted:

some terminally online poster that thinks calling people dumb over and over again in different ways is the peak of comedy

InventorOfTrees posted:

bunch of retards itt

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

oh?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
next. lmao

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

I've recently finished the story on WT2 (Uniques do drop in this tier btw)

if you mean the ring that ones a 100% drop from the final boss

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Stux posted:

next. lmao

shut the gently caress up

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Kin33 posted:

The upside of rushing the story is you get the horse which makes exploring a lot more pleasant, especially for classes without spammable movement skills. The world is still there and able to be explored after you get the horse or beat the story.

yeah I'm low 40's and about to start Act 6. I'll do events or side quests on the way. I'm having a blast with my melee rogue

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

JUNGLE BOY posted:

shut the gently caress up

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

Noted Psycho Poster Panda Clue
He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You

Stux posted:

next. lmao

you literally went through two years of my post history over that minor burn to find something to sling in my face and that's the best you got? lol

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

InventorOfTrees posted:

you literally went through two years of my post history over that minor burn to find something to sling in my face and that's the best you got? lol

The av really sells it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I told myself I was going to focus solely on the campaign during my last play session. ( I was probably midway through act 2 at the start. ) Was watching a streamer who wiped at level 52 or something on hardcore playing as a barb. I'm playing as a rogue and within 5'ish hours he already caught back up to me in the story. Barb does seem to be pretty overpowered and Rogue seems pretty underpowered and I don't think Rogue deserved any nerfs at all.

I'd rather they bring everyone up to the Barb level than just nerfing things down though.