Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Good lord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two-time fee
Jan 13, 2022
God had nothing to do with this

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
florida sea grass flesh eating bacteria is fake news unfortunately

https://twitter.com/GeoRebekah/status/1663381810040954881

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

this person got blocked for replying lol

maybe it's not actually flesh-eating bacteria, but since when is rebekah jones an expert on everything

https://twitter.com/frndlydiscourse/status/1663524402330206209

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Do not come
Do not come

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

actionjackson posted:

this person got blocked for replying lol

maybe it's not actually flesh-eating bacteria, but since when is rebekah jones an expert on everything

https://twitter.com/frndlydiscourse/status/1663524402330206209

fingies crossed, hoping for the worst :)

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

i used GIMP to make the gif, I learned more about rgb/indexing. also pro-tip is to use folders for each frame.

head angles from collar were -4, -8, -12, -16, -11, -6, -1, +4. worst part was extracting the partial combined frames & merging to complete the suit. then i figured it would be good to have the teardrop be on top of the suit.

i was drunk and it took 2-3 hours

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Xaris posted:

Florida reaping what it sows: flesh eating bacteria

oh no not the tourist season being inconvenienced by rotting eggs and flesh eating bacteria, oh dear, the horror

Sounds bad! Oh wait,

quote:

Vibrio vulnificus infections “can be severe for people who have weakened immune systems

Heh, well it's not my problem then :smug:

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Oglethorpe posted:

i used GIMP to make the gif, I learned more about rgb/indexing. also pro-tip is to use folders for each frame.

head angles from collar were -4, -8, -12, -16, -11, -6, -1, +4. worst part was extracting the partial combined frames & merging to complete the suit. then i figured it would be good to have the teardrop be on top of the suit.

i was drunk and it took 2-3 hours

Thank you for your service

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

lmao

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
https://twitter.com/tanya_plibersek/status/1664522565417836544

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
2040 feels like way too fuckin late but lmao go on then

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
the treaty will take effect a few years after the last sea creature is dead, and even then it will be completely toothless and ineffectual

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017

silicone thrills posted:

We'll start to think about doing something about maybe addressing the issue at a future date in 2040

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

welcome to the human race !

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
A significant percentage of the ocean plastic pollution is from the fishing industry - I think a large majority if I remember correctly. It would take international cooperation to make a difference.

Bans on plastic production are probably a great thing anyway, but pretending it's going to make a difference to the ocean garbage patch is more cope.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

you mean i stopped using plastic straws for nothing??!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Wheeee posted:

you mean i stopped using plastic straws for nothing??!

not for nothing

think of the profit you generated to the alternatives

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

i wonder how many plastic straws it takes to match the environmental cost of a single stainless steel straw

or the paper ones, given how much logging is done in old growth forests rather than sustainable tree farms

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
i use bamboo straws :smug:

Soggy Muffin
Jul 29, 2003

4d3d3d posted:

Doesn't seem good for much of anything except thermophiles and organisms that can just pick up and move to colder waters

Some Tiktok influencer in 10 years is gonna be showing herself absolutely having a blast in the warm and crystal clear water (because not even algae can grow)

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

i use a metal straw, because I only drink Yerba mate

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

UKJeff posted:

Yes, surely THIS is the time the doomers will finally be proven correct. The end is nigh :D

And I thought I was stupid.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

We should have had a full ocean moratorium decades ago.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

it’s a lazy troll

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
it's pretty telling that your general libs think that there's going to be some sudden day 1 reckoning rapture or something stupid. instead of just slow, grinding, enshitification of society until one day you look around and stores are closed up from theft/supply/declining profit, food costs triple digits for a broccoli that's routinely out of stock, a quarter of the population is living in tents, internet content gets worse and worse, etc

I think it was Rime that made a good point that increasing lunatic fringes are rapidly spawning and taking over which are transparently pushing some bullshit ideology or just desperately trying to make sense of the world plunging into chaos by trying to assign agency is it's own microcosm of a collapsing society

that half the populace of regular 'normies' is sort of existing catatonically pseudo-depressed low energy waiting for the shoe to drop is also symptom of collapsing society. this is also manifested in the rising amount of car deaths/accidents, wreckless abandon of interacting with society, etc

Xaris has issued a correction as of 00:29 on Jun 5, 2023

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

silicone thrills posted:

Treaties that aren't supposed to do anything for a few decades are the best ones. You can make concerned noises and grandstand about them during election cycles or if you just want some cheap publicity or to browbeat some third world country, and then when it's impossible to even pretend that anything's going to be done about it you can go sign a new treaty that'll take effect in a few decades and repeat the cycle.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I told this old dumbass at the dog park that climate change is real and after a little back and forth he said, "So you believe in climate change huh? What're you non-binary too?"

That's how the American mind works. I am non-binary... lol... but that's neither here nor there, so I didn't answer the question.

he's right

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Yeah? When was the last time the world as we know it crumbled and people succumbed to desperation hunger thirst and death? Ya thats what I thought ya frigging loon.

No, no I meant around here.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Lpzie posted:

welcome to the human race !

At this point, it feels more like a sprint rather than a marathon.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Hubbert posted:

At this point, it feels more like a sprint rather than a marathon.
It feels like a sprint, but lasts like a marathon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

doomers in tears
https://twitter.com/VP/status/1665433238729379843
https://twitter.com/ClimateEnvoy/status/1665420324761124869