Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Common chaffinch by Eero Vuorinen, on Flickr

e: the new LR denoise is pretty good, this was shot with ISO 8000

Fieldfare by Eero Vuorinen, on Flickr

Sorbus fucked around with this message at 14:44 on May 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

DSC_3851 by Brian G, on Flickr
Whoa

DSC_3852 by Brian G, on Flickr
So pretty

DSC_3868 by Brian G, on Flickr
What majest-

DSC_3879 by Brian G, on Flickr
hahaha

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Fabulousity posted:

hahaha

This is a real 'the gently caress u say' look, love it. Herons are so goofy.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Fabulousity posted:

hahaha

lmao so good

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Herons are real neat, there's a nice park near my house where you can sometimes find them hanging out on the pond banks and they're so used to the humans in the area you can get pretty close before they start giving you the side-eye.

Bonus: Fluffy Egret butt from the same park. :3:

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 07:14 on May 26, 2023

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

This is super lovely, Bee Eaters are just magical birds.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

BetterLekNextTime posted:

My progression through the canon camera bodies during the last 12+ years has been T2i -> 60D -> 7D2 -> R6. It's really about your budget but the 7d2 is going to feel pretty solid after the 60D (assuming you don't need the flip-out screen for something). Add a used first gen Tamron 150-600 and you might be under 1k for a great wildlife combo. Or do you still have the 100-400?

Awesome, thanks for all the advice everyone. I sold the 100-400 ages ago to someone here actually.

A 7Dmk2 and the Tamron like like a pretty decent setup. I think that'll be my goal later this year.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

jarlywarly posted:

This is super lovely, Bee Eaters are just magical birds.

Thanks! They’re really fun to shoot, plus their colours are amazing. I camped at a place where about 20 of them would all fly together at dusk, hard to photograph but just a great experience to see them all together, doing their frog croak calls as they glide along.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

toggle posted:

Thanks! They’re really fun to shoot, plus their colours are amazing. I camped at a place where about 20 of them would all fly together at dusk, hard to photograph but just a great experience to see them all together, doing their frog croak calls as they glide along.

Was this in Europe?

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

jarlywarly posted:

Was this in Europe?

West Australia

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Red-Winged Blackbird by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Tree Swallow by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Yellow Warbler by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Barn Swallow by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

IMG_3785-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_3579-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Male ducks are just horrible to female ducks, ducklings, and pretty much everything else. Mama duck on the defence here.

IMG_3819-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Good lord these birds are so kinetic I love that you caught one inviting you into the abyss. WE ALL FLY DOWN HERE

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
gyuto quail on fence-0183 on Flickr

Gyuto goldfinch on thistle-9713 on Flickr

Gyuto junco on sign-0080 on Flickr

Gyuto baby junco-0101 on Flickr

gyuto distant grosbeak-0145 on Flickr

gyuto collared dove-0218 on Flickr

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

We had a super rare bird alert hit in the early afternoon just 20 minutes from my house. A Scissor-tailed Flycatcher has seemingly decided that visiting Cambridge Ontario (about 1.5 hours from Toronto?) was a good idea - maybe it was because it was absolutely feasting on bugs throughout the day.

Heat distortion and distance made my photos kind of bad. But Topaz AI sort of helps along with just the satisfaction of seeing such a cool bird this far north.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
nice bird!

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Young coots look so weird

Baby coot by Eero Vuorinen, on Flickr

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
i saw a green heron in the rain yesterday:

bonus video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziR4n9d98V8

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

:wow:

murk
Oct 31, 2003
Never argue with stupid people, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
DSCF6503 by a a, on Flickr

Gulf Shores, AL. This dude was really thinking about stuff early in the morning

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Yellow Warbler by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Common Yellowthroat by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Cedar Waxwing by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Cedar Waxwing by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Wilson's Snipe by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Wilson's Snipe by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

neckbeard fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 13, 2023

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I only have a 35mm right now so not easy to get bird shots, but sometimes they are stuck in a cage or I'm just moving verrryyy slowly towards them. The perfect in-flight shot right past me always happens when I'm not ready to press the button : (

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Speaking of getting close to birds. This was a long time ago, Dec 2015.

And yes, he ended up attacking me lol 😆

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I was in an aviary with a huge rear end pelican and it kept following me around. No thanks!

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

I've had a very red wingey day:

DSC_0676 by Brian G, on Flickr
DSC_0680 by Brian G, on Flickr
DSC_0767 by Brian G, on Flickr
DSC_0842 by Brian G, on Flickr
DSC_0858 by Brian G, on Flickr

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

A making GBS threads bird. Also still trying to figure out focus - it nailed the wingtip (and a bit of the poo poo :haw: ) but the rest of the bird is out of focus.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

glorious

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
My next lens is probably going to be wider for landscapes, so I'll be crop-zooming for birds for now

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I'm about ready to push the button on a bazooka but I'm paralyzed by choice. I'm upgrading from the EF-S 55-250mm (~effective~ 400 on my 80D) and in my reasonable price range I'm looking at something like the Sigma 100-400mm or perhaps the EF 300mm F4L with the assumption that it'll be sharp enough to crop down. The OG 100-400mm L is just out of my price range (though I may be able to manage it if auction jesus smiles upon me) but I'm not sure if it'll really give me much more than 3rd party equivalents except white paint prestige.

What would you go with birb goons?

Please accept this kitey boi as payment.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RillAkBea posted:

I'm about ready to push the button on a bazooka but I'm paralyzed by choice. I'm upgrading from the EF-S 55-250mm (~effective~ 400 on my 80D) and in my reasonable price range I'm looking at something like the Sigma 100-400mm or perhaps the EF 300mm F4L with the assumption that it'll be sharp enough to crop down. The OG 100-400mm L is just out of my price range (though I may be able to manage it if auction jesus smiles upon me) but I'm not sure if it'll really give me much more than 3rd party equivalents except white paint prestige.

What would you go with birb goons?

Please accept this kitey boi as payment.

Getting something that’s better but basically the same focal length is ok I guess and you could save up for a good tc but I suspect you’ll be happier with a good sigma or the canon 100-400 (or the 400/5.6? ) Have you looked at used Tamron/sigma 150-600’s? Just make sure you can return if it’s not a great copy.

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007
This pair of bald eagles were doing an afternoon preen and nap session.

At one point this feather got loose and floated in the air over us landing in the water.

A bit later we saw this swallow looping back and forth over it until...

The swallow played with it and dropped it a few times

Before finally flying off with it.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Beautiful work, Swallow with Eagle feather is not something you see often!

Whitethroat by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Reed Warbler in full song by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Reed Bunting by Aves Lux, on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

jarlywarly posted:

Beautiful work, Swallow with Eagle feather is not something you see often!

Whitethroat by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Reed Warbler in full song by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Reed Bunting by Aves Lux, on Flickr

These are incredible.

Jerm324 posted:

This pair of bald eagles were doing an afternoon preen and nap session.

At one point this feather got loose and floated in the air over us landing in the water.

A bit later we saw this swallow looping back and forth over it until...

The swallow played with it and dropped it a few times

Before finally flying off with it.

That's a great series. I've probably mentioned this here before but a million years ago I worked on a tree swallow banding project and one of our tricks for catching the males was to let a feather drift on the wind and they would tend to snatch it out of the air then fly back to tuck it in the nest (at which point we could cover the opening of the nest box and retrieve the bird).

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Getting something that’s better but basically the same focal length is ok I guess and you could save up for a good tc but I suspect you’ll be happier with a good sigma or the canon 100-400 (or the 400/5.6? ) Have you looked at used Tamron/sigma 150-600’s? Just make sure you can return if it’s not a great copy.
Fair enough, I think you're probably right. I did look at the 150-600s and while the extra range is tempting I think they may just be a big too heavy for how I like to shoot.

I've ordered a used copy of the Sigma 100-400mm Contemporary which I'm pretty excited about for the price.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
In case you missed it Audubon Photography Awards are out. Top 100 hits next week I guess. Flying rats ftw!

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Sigma 100-400mm got here today and I'm super pleased with it.

Took it for a little walk around the block and found this crow (raven?) trash talking a kite from a safe distance.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Nice shot! I think that is a raven, with its curved bill and all: https://www.audubon.org/news/how-tell-raven-crow

I was out on a trip last week and got a few birds myself:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Love how that raven found the blackberries. Ours are also ripening! We don't even know where the bush came from it just showed up this year!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

nitsuga posted:

Nice shot! I think that is a raven, with its curved bill and all: https://www.audubon.org/news/how-tell-raven-crow

Ah, cool. That makes things a little easier. Here in Japan they're both interchangeably called 'karasu'.

Finally managed to get down the river to test out my new lens proper and managed to stave off heat stroke long enough to get some nice shots, and some weird ones...

Just a big Grey Heron having a casual vom. (Spoilered for gross factor)