Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Melomane Mallet posted:

THIS IS NOT (PROVABLY) TRUE. ...There was never any *actual* proof of this; just a lot of maybe, possible, factors that could produce better results and a whole hell of a lot of hearsay/"just trust me bro"/RNG. It was the epitome of early MMO design.

Not only is there no proof, the devs have gone on record to say the "crafting myths" were just that, myths. It's entirely RNG based off of your skill level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Grey Cat posted:

Cid acts as if he isn't completely aware of his feelings for Nero.

annoyance, pity

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

https://twitter.com/csmslt/status/1665260205423329280?t=166tHY7AQwPEhoKwvJvFMQ&s=19

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

Question for the more raiding-inclined goons, how does one go about finding a static?

Party finder is eroding my will to live

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Neltharak posted:

Question for the more raiding-inclined goons, how does one go about finding a static?

Party finder is eroding my will to live

You could keep an eye out in partyfinder, some groups will post recruitments in there (mainly the other tab iirc?)

There's also the ff14 recruitment reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/FFXIVRECRUITMENT/

And there's definitely regional discords for recruitment too. Europe is in ERC (Europe raiding central), dunno what the other regions use

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

Xun posted:

You could keep an eye out in partyfinder, some groups will post recruitments in there (mainly the other tab iirc?)

There's also the ff14 recruitment reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/FFXIVRECRUITMENT/

And there's definitely regional discords for recruitment too. Europe is in ERC (Europe raiding central), dunno what the other regions use

Thanks, joined ERC.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

wait you guys can remember things for 30 seconds?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Awesome! posted:

wait you guys can remember things for 30 seconds?

No. If you need proof, do the current Ex trial.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Tamba posted:

No. If you need proof, do the current Ex trial.

i have proudly holmganged my way through gales 2 several times now

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

I was more thinking about the boss charging up an in or out-attack, does a tankbuster and then immediately releases it. If no one has a macro to put it in the chat, the chance that at least one person will forget what to do is roughly 100%

Tamba fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jun 4, 2023

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Grey Cat posted:

Cid acts as if he isn't completely aware of his feelings for Nero.

Cid and Nero are the answer to "What if you shipped two tsunderes?"

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

the_steve posted:

Cid and Nero are the answer to "What if you shipped two tsunderes?"

Not just two tsunderes--sprinkle in some serious daddy issues.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Finally you caught Glup shitto

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Hey I caught that one too just a little bit ago.

The Endwalker fish really are a step back in frustrating catch conditions from Shadowbringers, aren't they?

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

I think they just like saving the real brutal fish for x.5 patches

4.5 had Warden, Stethacanthus, and Ruby Dragon
5.5 had Greater Serpent, Lancetfish, Cinder Surprise, and Ealad Skaan

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

we WILL cry

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Tamba posted:

I was more thinking about the boss charging up an in or out-attack, does a tankbuster and then immediately releases it. If no one has a macro to put it in the chat, the chance that at least one person will forget what to do is roughly 100%

I feel like you’re being too generous here. It isn’t that they forgot if it was in or out, it is that they can’t read the tell. Yes, I hear you say that the animation is easy to see, but that means nothing.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I was in a 35 minute trial roulette earlier for the new patch trial. It took me dorito on myself plus in depth explaining of the individual mechanics for us to finally limp across the finish line. Got 5 commends and helped 5 new people through so it felt nice but still. :silent:

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I don't know how anyone can prog savage PF. Not that I can really talk because I don't have a static--yet.
Last night I solo queued Euphrosyne which is 6months old now and the two WHM in B died collectively more than 30 times. I truly wish that was a joke, it took 45 minutes. I rezzed them 14 times from A.
How do you make the most of randoms without losing sanity?

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
you put on a high ilvl in the pf and hope and pray

Zeruel fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 5, 2023

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I now have all of the Endwalker fish (to date) and I still won't have an opportunity to finish off Big Fish until next Tuesday at the earliest. :negative:

solitonmedic
May 25, 2020

Grey Cat posted:

I don't know how anyone can prog savage PF. Not that I can really talk because I don't have a static--yet.
Last night I solo queued Euphrosyne which is 6months old now and the two WHM in B died collectively more than 30 times. I truly wish that was a joke, it took 45 minutes. I rezzed them 14 times from A.
How do you make the most of randoms without losing sanity?

I heard the Europe data centers are far more organized by listing what you must do in macros.
I still have no idea how do you even read them.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

I still have trouble remembering square in, triangle out for Ozma.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

solitonmedic posted:

I heard the Europe data centers are far more organized by listing what you must do in macros.

I have no idea, it's frustrating when it's a new tier you haven't done but they say something like, "know x strat we're using it". You haven't the slightest clue what it is because you haven't even gotten the clear yet..

I'm up for suggestions on an organized server though. Currently I'm in Malboro on Crystal and it's pretty bad without a static. Don't know if the ping hit is worth the EU jump.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

You're probably best served trying to find PF groups on Aether, since that's generally where people congregate to do savage/extreme content. NA is uniquely disadvantaged in that there's multiple content creators who all rush out strategies in the first few days, leading to an awkward competition in terms of what's "optimal" and, consequently, a ton of disconnect in the average group over what strategy to follow.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The nonsense names for strats are easily the worst part of PF stuff, especially if something new spreads while you're mid farm and now everyone wants to do some new tactic. (Especially if said tactic is more convoluted and error-prone but people have convinced themselves an extra .01% damage is worth avoiding easy reliable strategies for.)

Like I can get if there is something new that makes a massive disaster of a mechanic much easier to deal with but I still remember people insisting on the Magic Pixel in Hades stuff and eating poo poo despite the actual mechanic they were trying to skip being easy to handle.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jun 5, 2023

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The "braindead" strat being ten times as likely to go wrong is always fun. Sometimes it's fine though (P7S comes to mind)

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

eating poo poo despite the actual mechanic they were trying to skip being easy to handle.

I talked about it in one of my streams the other day, but FFXIV's love of "the dance" involved with raiding has developed this really weird culture that seems unique even to other MMOs where people insist on learning the charts, not the mechanics. Even just trying P9S has really shown this trying to get through on PF in a way that feels ramped up from before. Doing JP strat for Levinstrike, I've seen so many wipes from people not making the run across because they are so insistent on getting to their mark, they don't associate having a number with "Hey you can really be anywhere as long as it's not right in the middle of the group." They know where they need to be, but not what the mechanic does and go haywire when they need to adapt on the fly.

It's been... rough. I like the fight, but I think I'm going to have to skip out on the tier with how rough PF is right now. Knowing it's already this difficult getting past a phase that genuinely isn't all that bad when you break it down only to know there are three more bosses waiting just sounds exhausting.

Sucks, because it's been awhile since I've made some RDM Savage/EX guides, but them's the breaks. At least now I can focus on the end-game of making obscene amounts of money instead.

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jun 5, 2023

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

If you try and do P10S "by the chart" things will most likely go horrifically wrong.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Axel Serenity posted:

I talked about it in one of my streams the other day, but FFXIV's love of "the dance" involved with raiding has developed this really weird culture that seems unique even to other MMOs where people insist on learning the charts, not the mechanics. Even just trying P9S has really shown this trying to get through on PF in a way that feels ramped up from before. Doing JP strat for Levinstrike, I've seen so many wipes from people not making the run across because they are so insistent on getting to their mark, they don't associate having a number with "Hey you can really be anywhere as long as it's not right in the middle of the group." They know where they need to be, but not what the mechanic does and go haywire when they need to adapt on the fly.

It's been... rough. I like the fight, but I think I'm going to have to skip out on the tier with how rough PF is right now. Knowing it's already this difficult getting past a phase that genuinely isn't all that bad when you break it down only to know there are three more bosses waiting just sounds exhausting.

Sucks, because it's been awhile since I've made some RDM Savage/EX guides, but them's the breaks. At least now I can focus on the end-game of making obscene amounts of money instead.

JP strat also just isn't as good as Oppo imo.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

solitonmedic posted:

Using macros is great and all, it's certainly way better than standing aroud a waymark, but that doesn't mean people don't just ignore them.

Also because they are a pita to make you'll often have people using a copies macro and then subbing on their own strats "here's the macro but ignore the gales bit we're doing true north instead"

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

there's a variation to the JP strat i like where the numbers just preposition reasonably close to their respective tower locations so there's zero chance of them overlapping with each other or the defamation people, since defamations barely reach the center of the arena you have so much real estate to work with, so having numbers stack with everyone each other and everyone else only to leave for their explosion is so pointless and just invites wipes. then again, "a number forgets to leave the group" also seems to be the number one source of wipes on the oppo and related strats

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

assuming oppo basically boils down "run in a circle, drop out to take your tower and take fire and ice hits away from the party" that sort of strat feels like the intended solution but nothing is going to stop someone from not being able to count to four or completely missing the defamation mark appearing over their head and sticking with the party until it kills everyone

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

despite pf shennanigans and thanks to some truly solid and patient raiders i had the pleasure of being partied with i managed to clear thru p11s this week on a heavy but not "this is my life now" schedule. probably give 12 a blind lockout tomorrow but it'll be good to take a rest.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

We were using this using this (stolen from Hector's guide):

code:
  |  orb1    orb3     orb5     orb7
2 |   out      #     tower      #
4 |    #      out      #      tower
6 |  tower     #      out       #
8 |    #     tower     #       out
Drop that in the chat every pull just before the mechanic happens.

Now you only need to know remember this:
No number: Hang around orb 1 and look for orb 3 to know which direction to go
All numbers go near orb 5 and look for 7 to know where to go to. 2 might want to go out directly. You now have enough time to read the row for your number before you actually have to do anything.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Oneiros posted:

assuming oppo basically boils down "run in a circle, drop out to take your tower and take fire and ice hits away from the party" that sort of strat feels like the intended solution but nothing is going to stop someone from not being able to count to four or completely missing the defamation mark appearing over their head and sticking with the party until it kills everyone

Oppo is marked near orb 5, unmarked near orb 1. Run around in a circle, marked players soaking towers/taking out fire when appropriate and unmarked players stopping when they have the defamation.

So defamation players are opposite marked players, and once your defamation goes off you wait until the party catches up.

It still can have people misread various visual queues but it is by far the easiest imo. Since both starting positions are split it is easier to see when/what you need to do a thing.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I did maybe four lockouts worth of p9s this week on days off of my dsr static, and I've come to conclusion that I'm not really a raid every night type'a fella. Might still give PF the occasional shot but the burnout hit pretty hard last night so I think I've just gotta chill til the static moves on to the current tier.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

5% p11s enrage aaaaaa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

GOT THE CLEAR YESSSSSSS

got the pants too