Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

HopperUK posted:

What did you say?!

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Tali in ME2 was a decent one in part too because it wasn't about just sexing a character. Until it was....

Kaiden in the ME games is like this throughout. He's by far the most actually adult relationship Bioware has ever written, probably because Shepard doesn't actually need to fix him and he doesn't have some major baggage - he's had a rough backstory, but got through it on his own and is mostly just looking forward and very trepidatious about having a relationship with a superior officer in the first one, and then he's just emotionally supportive for the rest of the series for the most part.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
There should be a thing in the accessibility menu. Romance on/off.

I just want to shoot badmans in the face, or set them on fire if they shriek hilariously.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Fuzz posted:

Kaiden in the ME games is like this throughout. He's by far the most actually adult relationship Bioware has ever written, probably because Shepard doesn't actually need to fix him and he doesn't have some major baggage - he's had a rough backstory, but got through it on his own and is mostly just looking forward and very trepidatious about having a relationship with a superior officer in the first one, and then he's just emotionally supportive for the rest of the series for the most part.

And yet people always complain that Kaiden is a boring block of wood.

Maybe he's why I never quite understood the abject revulsion to Bioware romance. My Shep fell into it with him and it didn't come off as purient or whatever.

Then again, I did run afoul of it in ME2 where if you give a poo poo about Thane and have him explain his backstory, it jumps right from that to "enough about your dead wife, let's bang!"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

He's pretty low-key compared to the other ME1 party members and I guess then people just let him die.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

It's because the bulk of us were teens or 20-somethings when KotOR came out, and the majority reaction was, "UGH why does this guy keep whining about his dead wife and kid, just shutup already," and Kaidan was the same VA so CLEARLY they were the same character and also the other option had tits (even though she was racist) so...

Yes, that's really the reason. Incidentally, Carth is actually also the most normal companion in KotOR other than Jolee. He's understandably sad and shaken up about his dead family, but was given a job and is seeing it through. The bulk of the gamer audience was just immature and emotionally stunted morons, so all that stuff seemed dumb and boring, so Bioware stopped writing those types of characters because they weren't popular.

Gamers really are the worst.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

They are fairly dull characters, and the writing is not really good enough to make that interesting.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
You, a human, are given a crew of aliens of all different types that are more than happy to discuss their race's culture and such, as well as their own personal stories. Other humans to hang out with is boring. Even if they are extremely well written and have interesting stories to tell.

But also yeah, irrationally gently caress Carth for my shortcomings, not his.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Fuzz posted:

It's because the bulk of us were teens or 20-somethings when KotOR came out, and the majority reaction was, "UGH why does this guy keep whining about his dead wife and kid, just shutup already," and Kaidan was the same VA so CLEARLY they were the same character and also the other option had tits (even though she was racist) so...

Yes, that's really the reason. Incidentally, Carth is actually also the most normal companion in KotOR other than Jolee. He's understandably sad and shaken up about his dead family, but was given a job and is seeing it through. The bulk of the gamer audience was just immature and emotionally stunted morons, so all that stuff seemed dumb and boring, so Bioware stopped writing those types of characters because they weren't popular.

I let Ashley die without a moment of regret. Space racist? Really?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Yeah same. I would have been an 18 year old dude at the time too so "she has tits" is a lame excuse for keeping her around

I don't really remember anything about Carth except he hated that I slammed every darkside option as the edgy preteen I was

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Carth's a giant wet blanket and since he's your first companion in KoTOR gets a lot of opportunities to gripe at you.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Same.

I remember people bitching about Alistair in Dragon Age, not because he was annoying or badly written exactly, but because he didn't like it if you did evil poo poo and would complain. So some people would prefer blocks of wood I guess.

I liked Alistair, he was fun.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Funny thing is that apparently Ashley actually develops as a character if you don't bump her off. And I'm not sure Kaiden really does by comparison.

FWIW, it's not like I ever really palled around with the dude past the early game, because of course Garrus, Wrex, and Tali are more interesting. He just ended up being the romance for that playthrough and I happen to like his understated-ness otherwise.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jun 5, 2023

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

John Murdoch posted:

Funny thing is that apparently Ashley actually develops as a character if you don't bump her off. And I'm not sure Kaiden really does by comparison.

FWIW, it's not like I ever really palled around with the dude past the early game, because of course Garrus, Wrex, and Tali are more interesting. He just ended up being the romance for that playthrough and I happen to like his understated-ness otherwise.

He does, not in that he stops being a lovely person (because he wasn't one in the first place), it's more that he gets over his status of being a black sheep with dodgy implants who questions the ethical nature of humanity using Biotics and just experimenting on kids for decades as part of an arms race with the rest of the galaxy, and learns to accept the fact that he can do a lot of good and move things forward and raise awareness of how hosed up the whole program is.

If you're scratching your head and thinking, "wait, but isn't that Jack?" Yes, yes it is. Kaidan was so reviled they straight copied his backstory but made him an angsty girl who most importantly has BOOBS and uses the word "gently caress" a lot. She was also broken and needed Shepard to fix her. Subsequently, she was a far more popular character, basically proving Bioware right in their methodology of just giving you cartoon characters who are inherently broken and ridiculous as companions, never anyone normal.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Oh, lol. I was playing as a fellow biotic which was another reason I got on with him and I did always think that stuff got kinda swept under the rug after the first game. Jack is the same idea, but steeped in all the Cerberus evil scientist supervillain stuff rather than the more subtle dystopic take on it.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Incredulous shock, Sir, I think I would be aware, as a human myself, of just who and who is not human.

Frustration, get the hell out of my office.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Fuzz posted:

Sorry, but its hilarious when you go dark side and Carth runs into the forest crying about it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Sorry, but its hilarious when you go dark side and Carth runs into the forest crying about it.

It totally is, and I'm not actually defending Carth's hammy writing overall... he was doofy as poo poo.

But like, the sentiment of, "ugh, it's the same VA as Carth so he's just as annoying and terrible," was 100% a common epithet, on this very forum no less. People real dumb.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

John Murdoch posted:

Oh, lol. I was playing as a fellow biotic which was another reason I got on with him and I did always think that stuff got kinda swept under the rug after the first game. Jack is the same idea, but steeped in all the Cerberus evil scientist supervillain stuff rather than the more subtle dystopic take on it.

My character was the same class as Kaidan, so I had no problems sweeping him under the rug from the moment I had two different party members. Sorry game writing, you're getting in the way of what I think is more optimal!

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jun 5, 2023

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

John Murdoch posted:

She does, her racism is based off of her family fighting in the first wars and then she actually has her moments of "oh poo poo, these people aren't the box i've put them in" as the story continues.

I actually like that. They then, of course, had her grow out her hair and gave her bigger tits for 3, but alas, bioware.

Also:

Mierenneuker posted:

My character was the same class as Kaidan, so I had no problems sweeping him under the rug from the moment I had two different party members. Sorry game writing, you're getting in the way of what I think is more optimal!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Mierenneuker posted:

You can still talk to him on the Normandy even if you're not taking him along on missions.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

John Murdoch posted:

You can still talk to him on the Normandy even if you're not taking him along on missions.
It's hard to talk to him if he is splattered across Virmire though.

Anyway, any new cool upcoming free games?

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Assertion: as the only non-meatbag character, HK-74 was the best companion

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Lib and let die posted:

There's an astromech in that same game. Like yeah it's not as cool but it's right there. Behind HK-47.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Lib and let die posted:

T3-M4: Bwee boop!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

HopperUK posted:

I liked Alistair, he was fun.

Me too. Stephen Valentine really nailed that role. I also liked Corinne Kempa, the Frenchwoman who voiced Leliana in both the English and French dubs of DA1. By complete chance (by which I mean not at a fan event or such) I met her. She is very easy on the eyes and I can flirt very well in French. Sadly, not quite well enough as she was flattered but uninterested.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
HK-74 is a one trick pony, but drat if the trick isn't entertaining and fun. Jolee had a ton of potential, but the writers dogged the shot. He could have been George Carlin the grey jedi, positioning himself outside of all the dogmatism and essentialism of the setting, and taking a big dump on it. Instead he comes across as this confused old man who's been beaten down by the world to the point where he doesn't even have opinions anymore.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The 7 words you should never say on Coruscant

el3m
Jun 18, 2005
Grimey Drawer
https://store.steampowered.com/app/660160/Field_of_Glory_II/

Was this posted here, got this via the wargames thread

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
This game works together with Field of Glory Empires if you're interested in campaigns of a huge scale. Empires is grand strategy that is great on its own, FoG2 is about battles, and you can resolve fights of FoGE in FoG2.

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out
Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs - claim it on the GOG homepage: https://www.gog.com

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Knockout City: Hosted Server Edition is now available in the wake of the original version of the game getting shut down. Basically the same game, but with player hosted dedicated servers like the good old days and all the microtransaction cosmetic junk unlocked by default.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The Kins posted:

Knockout City: Hosted Server Edition is now available in the wake of the original version of the game getting shut down. Basically the same game, but with player hosted dedicated servers like the good old days and all the microtransaction cosmetic junk unlocked by default.

This is cool as hell and I didn't expect them to do this. I honestly wish that Lawbreakers would have done this.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
They should have done that with Battleborn, too.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It should be law that if you shutdown an online game, you need to give the server side component to the community so they can keep it going.

No matter how hard your online game flops (and let’s face it, in this hell world, anything less than Fortnite-level success is “failing”), there is someone out there who loved the game and wants to see it continue.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!
Hue is free on Steam right now.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Mutant Headcrab posted:

I'VE GOT SPURS THAT JINGLE-JANGLE-JINGLE, JINGLE-JANGLE
I am so make-pretend angry at you for posting the entire line and not leaving the last part off so we could turn it into a call-and-response.

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Hue is free on Steam right now.
Go back to the Games-We'll-Never-Play thread. This here's the New Vega-

Ah. poo poo.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Beve Stuscemi posted:

It should be law that if you shutdown an online game, you need to give the server side component to the community so they can keep it going.

No matter how hard your online game flops (and let’s face it, in this hell world, anything less than Fortnite-level success is “failing”), there is someone out there who loved the game and wants to see it continue.

I completely agree, and you just summarised very well one of the reasons that I no longer play online games. If some twat CEO decides that a game isn't making large enough mountains of dosh and/or the player base moves on to the next flavour of the month, people like me can no longer enjoy it. Meanwhile, ToeJam & Earl from the Mega Drive is still available any time I want it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I got tired of being called the f-slur by strangers long before there was an internet on which to play games.

Every couple of years, I reinstall noted hat simulator Team Fortress 2 to play a few brainless rounds, figuring I'll play until I hear it again and then uninstall.

I have never lasted longer than two minutes.