Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I knew that the Marshalls were volunteers but are you seriously telling me that the stewards are too? The people interpreting the rules and handing out penalties? That seems insane but I guess it explains a lot about the sport as a whole.

Still, for a sport so synonymous with luxury brands and ostentatious displays of wealth, you’d think they could afford to at least throw those people a few bucks for a weekend of work, especially the guys dashing out onto an active racetrack to pick up debris and whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

what a novel idea it was for indycar to race on the set of the upcoming fallout tv series

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
they should have robocop driving one of the cars and then at one point in the race that guy that got melted by toxic waste wanders onto the track and robocop pastes him

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Watched the replay and ended up fast-forwarding through the last 30 or so laps and missed absolutely nothing.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

MustardFacial posted:

Aston Martin is auctioning off stuff from their old factory. You can buy the sign outside, the solid marble reception desk, among other things. But personally I've got my eyes on this item:

https://bidonline.ncmauctions.co.uk/auctions/8562/ncm-au10744/lot-details/819a872d-27bc-4ba4-a9b6-b00d011abfda

Lance's office looks a lot nicer than I thought it would

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Nick Soapdish posted:

What's your favorite Hall and Oates album and why is it Private Eyes?

Not sure which album its on, but I like this song.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmmdH5vcnKw

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

more like Geh Günther!

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

super fart shooter posted:

I knew that the Marshalls were volunteers but are you seriously telling me that the stewards are too? The people interpreting the rules and handing out penalties? That seems insane but I guess it explains a lot about the sport as a whole.

Still, for a sport so synonymous with luxury brands and ostentatious displays of wealth, you’d think they could afford to at least throw those people a few bucks for a weekend of work, especially the guys dashing out onto an active racetrack to pick up debris and whatever

F1TV won't even fly their commentary team out to the races lol

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The F1 stewards are remarkably consistent compared to MotoGP where you have a drunkard who is paid to be the steward and won't even make consistent decisions on incidents two laps apart

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

i am watching the race and brundle just said "the chinaman"

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Toe Rag posted:

more and more people are saying that is not the preferred nomenclature

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

tony quidtana posted:

The F1 stewards are remarkably consistent compared to MotoGP where you have a drunkard who is paid to be the steward and won't even make consistent decisions on incidents two laps apart
Luckily for the inconsistent drunk, motorcycles are much easier to not have incidents on, unlike the criminal and disgusting vehicles known as cars

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Toe Rag posted:

I'm shocked that the stroke addled wealthy elderly british man who almost certainly has dementia and mad cow infected prions in his brains would say a racism. how could this happen.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Toe Rag posted:

I was losing my mind at that moment because he said " The German, the Chinaman and... the Man from Japan" and every second of that beat between him talking about Zhou and him talking about Yuki was the most tense part of the race

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Alaois posted:

I was losing my mind at that moment because he said " The German, the Chinaman and... the Man from Japan" and every second of that beat between him talking about Zhou and him talking about Yuki was the most tense part of the race

I had the same experience and I'm struggling to find a clip of it to show my therapist.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Chinaman = bad?
Man from china = good?

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
Do you think the broadcast is purposefully bad to try and get people to subscribe to f1tv? It’s about to work on me

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
also just how bad is that williams car? albons radio after the race said that was about the best they could do with that car. if your absolute best is 16th, jesus christ

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Sunk Dunk posted:

also just how bad is that williams car? albons radio after the race said that was about the best they could do with that car. if your absolute best is 16th, jesus christ

tony quidtana posted:

Did Williams find their floor in a bin or something???

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

tony quidtana posted:

F1TV won't even fly their commentary team out to the races lol

Wait, really? Lmao, no wonder they can’t get anyone better than Will Buxton.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Ya. They showed it this race and the two dorks were in the UK with only Coulthard at the race which I presume is because he does other poo poo and flies there anyways lol. It's really wild to see the sport raking in more money than it ever has and they're pulling coupon clipping poo poo like that

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Coulthard was color and was at the race track for whatever reason today but usually main commentator is somewhere in the UK as seen here.

and moments later

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

that setup is extra funny for races when it's like 4am in the uk

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

doomisland posted:

Coulthard was color and was at the race track for whatever reason today but usually main commentator is somewhere in the UK as seen here.

and moments later

Never forget Mark Webber!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXaPhotkOfk

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Cirofren posted:

the rest of the season will be quite interesting

Witeldram
Feb 22, 2022

I've been watching his post-race interviews and radio messages and I'm starting to like Zhou. It's a shame that Alfa Romeo has a sucky car because both of their drivers seem like cool guys.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Witeldram posted:

I've been watching his post-race interviews and radio messages and I'm starting to like Zhou. It's a shame that Alfa Romeo has a sucky car because both of their drivers seem like cool guys.

I’m really impressed by Zhou. I thought he was another in a long line of pay drivers who had company or family backing and would cruise around in F1 then gently caress off home, yet he’s clearly both a capable driver and putting in the work day in and day out. It’s sad the sport is too bigoted for him to ever get a chance at a better team, but hopefully his trail breaking can make other it easier for other Chinese drivers to climb the ranks.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Lmfao

LeeMajors posted:

Watched the replay and ended up fast-forwarding through the last 30 or so laps and missed absolutely nothing.

Same, and this is when races are really dire. I would skip about ~3-4 laps ahead, watch 10 seconds, and then repeat. Even other “bad” races you can usually find something that’ll make you break that cycle but today was dire.

Indycar was funny as hell though. F1 needs more actual binmen instead of regular lovely, but not crash-the-car-under-yellow bad drivers.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

tony quidtana posted:

Ya. They showed it this race and the two dorks were in the UK with only Coulthard at the race which I presume is because he does other poo poo and flies there anyways lol. It's really wild to see the sport raking in more money than it ever has and they're pulling coupon clipping poo poo like that

There really is no value to be gained from paying for Jolyon Palmer to attend races in person. Makes more sense to keep him in a windowless room where he can make weird barbed comments about Grosjean.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

MustardFacial posted:

Aston Martin is auctioning off stuff from their old factory. You can buy the sign outside, the solid marble reception desk, among other things. But personally I've got my eyes on this item:

https://bidonline.ncmauctions.co.uk/auctions/8562/ncm-au10744/lot-details/819a872d-27bc-4ba4-a9b6-b00d011abfda

Unironically bidding on this

https://bidonline.ncmauctions.co.uk/auctions/8562/ncm-au10744/lot-details/f9d478fa-e923-4b8d-a9a1-b00d011bce23

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

No don't that's the one I was going to bid on

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

LeeMajors posted:

F1 is watching a 300km race home that maybe 30 of them will be good

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

to be removed by the buyer

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Charles Leclerc posted:

There really is no value to be gained from paying for Jolyon Palmer to attend races in person. Makes more sense to keep him in a windowless room where he can make weird barbed comments about Grosjean.

would it shock the thread to learn that Big John binned it in Detroit yesterday?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

would it shock the thread to learn that Big John binned it in Detroit yesterday?

On the one hand he was always a binman, but on the other if you can't even get a job on Sky Sports F1 as an ex-F1 driver (reminder that Johnny Herbert was paid to be on there for years) then perhaps you shouldn't be throwing stones, idk

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Toe Rag posted:

The forever sports commentary on YouTube started going in about "the historic conflict between China and Japan" and Jesus you can just talk about the race please don't fill the air with your Tonka Truck International Relations insights.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

So I just finished the episode with the Indian guy with the mullet. Editing perfection by the way, "I'm not going anywhere." *Screen goes black* "Three Weeks Later"..... :discourse:

Did certain teams/drivers opt not to participate in this at all? It kind of seems like Hard Knocks: Red Bull Racing so far.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

IIRC, Season 1 of DTS didn’t have Ferrari or Mercedes involved, because they were the big dog teams and DTS was an unknown. After it got popular they got more involved.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

smackfu posted:

IIRC, Season 1 of DTS didn’t have Ferrari or Mercedes involved, because they were the big dog teams and DTS was an unknown. After it got popular they got more involved.

And DTS would not have become so huge if they just talked to the PR heads of the leading teams. It was the trainwrecks fighting for second from last place that made the show work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
It feels like DTS selects 5 teams to focus on for the season, and then swap out for storylines. I can't remember seeing Aston Martin anywhere in the show and they dropped focus on Williams after two years of "yeah they're still the underdog lol".