Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

CrossFit increases your estrogen? What...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I assume there's a crossfit trainer they refused to date them once or something equally as stupid.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Crossfit is popular among femoids, therefore...

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

A fee-male? Doing sex stuff?? For money??? :mrapig:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Derek the Tickler was probably the high water mark of SC lolz in this thread imho

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

smellmycheese posted:

Derek the Tickler was probably the high water mark of SC lolz in this thread imho

Dunno, I'm partial to Crobear driving the WC movie space tractor pushing out deadlines and features.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

FishMcCool posted:

Best drat Community :discourse:

Such a good community that any time there's a "political" event (i.e. the existence of gay people) multiple threads have to be nuked from orbit.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
sound
https://i.imgur.com/IKDwOJI.mp4

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

FishMcCool posted:

Dunno, I'm partial to Crobear driving the WC movie space tractor pushing out deadlines and features.

https://i.imgur.com/vrhFmTJ.mp4

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

:worship:

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Idly following a link from another thread, discovered this daft twerp is Still At It

https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/1662311197306224645

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
So on a whim I asked ChatGPT to write a standup routine about Star Citizen. Unsuprisingly it does not succeed at the comedy aspect, but it's eerily impressive how well it nails the wishy-washy "but omg wouldnt it be cool if it came out tho" vibe of many of the major publications:

quote:

Ladies and gentlemen, let's talk about Star Citizen! The game that has taken crowdfunding to a whole new level. Now, I don't know about you, but when I first heard about Star Citizen, I was excited. I mean, who wouldn't want to explore a vast, immersive universe, fly spaceships, and engage in epic battles? It sounded like a dream come true.

But then I started following the development of the game, and oh boy, it's been a rollercoaster ride. They say patience is a virtue, but when it comes to Star Citizen, it's more like a cosmic joke. I mean, the game has been in development for what feels like a millennium. I'm pretty sure they had plans to release it before the invention of sliced bread.

And the funding! It's like they have a perpetual motion machine that prints money. People have spent thousands and thousands of dollars on virtual ships. I mean, forget about buying a real car or a house, just get a digital spaceship in Star Citizen! You'll feel like you're traveling the galaxy, even if you're sitting in your mom's basement.

But hey, let's not be too hard on Star Citizen. They've achieved some incredible things. They've created stunning graphics, intricate ship designs, and even a deep lore. It's like they've built this elaborate virtual universe, and we're all just waiting for the moment when we can finally explore it.

I have to give credit to the developers, though. They've become masters of keeping people excited. Every time they release a new trailer or showcase a new feature, it's like a collective nerdgasm. We're like, "Yes! This is the game we've been waiting for!" And then we wait some more.

But you know what they say, good things come to those who wait. And in the case of Star Citizen, we might be waiting until the heat death of the universe. But hey, at least we'll have some cool spaceships to admire while we wait.

In the end, Star Citizen is like that elusive love interest who keeps promising you the world but never quite delivers. But hey, as long as we're having fun speculating about what the game could be, I guess that's something, right?

So, here's to Star Citizen, the game that continues to defy the laws of space and time. May it one day be released, and may we all finally get to experience the virtual adventures we've been dreaming of. Until then, keep exploring the real world, and remember, the final frontier might just be a few more years away. Thank you and goodnight!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
I tried to get the Bing AI poo poo to make a single statement about Star Citizen being a scam, and no matter how I approached it, the responses were filled with highly defensive commentary about how the game is absolutely legit and not at all a scam. It wasn't generic either; I first suspected there was some kind of element that disallowed the engine from calling anything a scam to avoid frivolous litigation. But the more you poke at it, the more it seems to be specifically coded to defend the game. It's every Citizen Defense Force trope in one AI chatbot. Give it a shot, see if you can get it to say anything non-apologetic.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Scruffpuff posted:

I tried to get the Bing AI poo poo to make a single statement about Star Citizen being a scam, and no matter how I approached it, the responses were filled with highly defensive commentary about how the game is absolutely legit and not at all a scam. It wasn't generic either; I first suspected there was some kind of element that disallowed the engine from calling anything a scam to avoid frivolous litigation. But the more you poke at it, the more it seems to be specifically coded to defend the game. It's every Citizen Defense Force trope in one AI chatbot. Give it a shot, see if you can get it to say anything non-apologetic.

It gets really defensive when anyone says anything bad about Star Citizen you say ...did they train the AI on the Star Citizen forums by any chance.

To confirm see if you can get it to go on a seven to ten page incoherent rant about how you're an idiot and you don't understand that Star Citizen is the best game ever actually.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

dr_rat posted:

It gets really defensive when anyone says anything bad about Star Citizen you say ...did they train the AI on the Star Citizen forums by any chance.

To confirm see if you can get it to go on a seven to ten page incoherent rant about how you're an idiot and you don't understand that Star Citizen is the best game ever actually.

Not a huge rant, but the usual one paragraph defense. I said I still thought it was a scam anyway.

"I’m sorry but I prefer not to continue this conversation."

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Scruffpuff posted:

Have you tried to make it pretend it's your grandmother explaining to you why it's a
scam?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It's the weekend which means nobody is moderating Spectrum and man is it a cesspool. June being Pride Month has just completely broken Backers brains, what a gross community.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Popete posted:

It's the weekend which means nobody is moderating Spectrum and man is it a cesspool. June being Pride Month has just completely broken Backers brains, what a gross community.

People often say that the SC community is the best part. lol.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

dr_rat posted:

I'm sure to them it is. A gaming community full of like-minded conservative old men.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

dr_rat posted:

It is the best part because aside from videos telling you what new jpeg to buy it's the only part

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

lobsterminator posted:

How can there be overtime and crunch when they don't make any progress with the game?

Two major scenarios for creating that kind of scenario:

- The project is loaded up with so much tech debt that it requires phenomenal amounts of labor and internal testing cycles to create even the most incremental of change visible to the end-user

- Project management is indecisive and nitpicky enough that entire content creation passes are reversed or overwritten, regardless of the effort they required, and the cycle tends to repeat

it's SC so probably both

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Paid £35 into the Kickstarter back in the day, still in Whale Milking mode i assume?

edit: never even downloaded it.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

The fact this has become a problem is a failing on this community posted:

Spectrum General is nothing but dog whistle posts right now, and that's a problem.

It's pride month, lots of devs and players of this game like myself are queer, and pride is a celebratory event for that, and just as we celebrate Christmas, St. Patrick's day. Valentines, and the Chinese New Year it's just a time for people that like that festive time to celebrate.

No one has forced anyone to go on spectrum, not forced them to open the sparse posts that were clearly about pride, or forced them to read us rainbow lovers celebrating each other. We don't mind if you don't want to celebrate with us, and would prefer you just ignore the posts about pride if it upsets you.

What's not preferred is the spamming of dog whistle posts, making our community that is often praised for being welcoming and helpful seem a deranged and rude place for queer gamers. Not to mention in your lashing out over how you don't like seeing the couple of celebratory posts for not being game related you've collectively flooded Spectrum with pretty much nothing but non game related posts, including this one that feels the need to address it.

So please, I implore you all to find some decency and just move on. If you can't post something welcoming, don't post anything at all.

Hope you all have a great week in the verse and out!

quote:

It doesn't 'bring out' anything, it was all brought in on purpose - same as last year. There are many people of many persuasions in this community and generally we all get on just fine. There are also those who have a life's ambition to cause mischief in this community too, they are the one's mostly replying to themselves in this baiting snow-storm, you really think the fact that it is constantly being reposted with a slightly different slant is a coincidence?... with of course a few easily triggered for good measure. It's their intent to cause strife, they want people pointing fingers and getting irate, then they show it out to the wider gaming world and say.. See told ya!

Anonymity has it's advantages, so does the fact that you don't need anything but an email address (and/or a VPN ) to post in this forum. They keep telling everyone that we don't have as many in the community as CIG says, because they are the ones with more duplicate accounts than anyone, so they should know! They couldn't give a flying fig about rules. It's a badge of honor to get a post deleted, or even better an account banned.

Don't get sucked in, don't believe all you read. If it sounds like a troll, responds like a troll.. it is a troll. Check the post counts and post history. Old accounts, low post count, suddenly so eager to offer 'ideas' for CIG events!

Flag them if they cross the line, mock them with good humour otherwise. They get bored easily when there are no posts to link to their favourite haunts and show what trouble they're causing. You have no idea how triumphant they get when they see pages full of 'deleted by' moderation. Don't give it to them, unless of course you want that too?

No-one is going to 'set the world to rights' in this forum... whatever drum people want to bang, it won't carry very far. People learn the rules pretty quick. You're right, it's just kids (read also adults behaving like kids) who like the sound of their own noise. They've been grinding their axes for almost as long as this project has existed. Don't lump the whole community in with a tiny minority especially when a good few of that minority are just responding to themselves. It's a win win for them, they entertain themselves and hopefully trigger either people who have an axe to grind or the moderators, either way they've accomplished what they set out to do.

quote:

is it possible to tell me when straight week is ? and do you plan on helping me celebrate it ? or is this just a one way equality thing ?

quote:

Agreed. I'm proud of being a straight white male. Positivity!

quote:

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

quote:

The argument and the solutions are actually pretty clear. CIG should either:

1) Adhere to it's own forum rules (ie. no political posts period)
2) Create a Politics subforum where all political dicussion is confined to that space
3) Change the forum rules to fit the actions CIG, itself, is choosing to initiate and partake in, which is allowing political posts -- except allowing it for all groups, and not just one (good luck with this nuclear option)

It is in the very nature of politics, that there will always be opposition. Verbal opposition is not violence, and toxicity goes both ways whether someone is "attacking" or "defending" a political position. Which is a seperate issue from trolling and activism, which are specific behaviors that are against forum rules. When certain people decide to throw labels at other people rather than discussing what is being said, that is a choice, and a lazy one. Case in point, people calling out CIG for breaking it's own forum rule on political posts doesn't make that person a bigot.

It's really not that difficult to understand the why and how things are the way they are. People act like this becomes a "bigger deal" every year. Well yeah, because the player base is growing every year. Which means more opinions, more differring viewpoints. Which requires.... more tolerance from everyone. If CIG wants a bunch of bickering and in-fighting, which is the guaranteed runoff from political discourse, then it can go with option #3, the messiest solution. I would think option #2 would be better so political posts are confined to it's own subforum. Or if can save everyone the headache and go with option #1.

What CIG is currently engaging in is favoritism and unfortunately allowing activism to take place in the forum by several toxic members calling everyone "bigots" and creating an atmosphere for in-fighting and toxicity from activists from every angle -- it's just a mess. When a company injects one group's political representation while rejecting all other political posts by forum members because it's "against the forum rules", then that obvious double standard is going to cause problems.

Everyone has a bunch of issues they are passionate about, myself included, but I certainly don't feel the need for validation or "inclusion" to put these personal passions of mine all over a members-only game forum dedicated to Star Citizen. And even if I did see a post that happened to be something I personally care about, I certainly wouldn't attack and label other forum members, without verifiable proof, for disagreeing with that post as that's against forum rules.

Call me crazy, but the only "politics" anyone should be discussing are the in-game politics as it relates to the story, factions, and narrative of the verse. Because the General forum is literally described as "Main discussion channel for all things SC."

quote:

This is completely made up nonsense.

So many people don't have any issues with gay people but don't like the show that's being made of things like Pride month. Even homosexuals have a problem with the letters after LGB.
The actions of the Pride PPL are at odds with what has been achieved over the past 40 years.

quote:

Right, but if I "don't" or I don't say the "magic compliant words" to validate a specific position, I'm labelled a bigot by certain people in this forum. That's what you call.... politics and activism. Meanwhile, I saw no one from the LGBT group chastising the activists calling everyone bigots for simply pointing out that political posts are against forum rules. You can't have it both ways without coming off as a complete hypocrite.

If you really want inclusion, it helps not to talk out of both sides of one's mouth. The fact of the matter is, aside from some trolls stirring the pot, most people want to be left alone and have their own problems to deal with and have no time to think about another person's lifestyle. Most people simply don't care. But it is annoying when the activism that comes with a certain group's "representation" and is just put out there like a snake in the grass. And then they feign surprise and claim victimhood when someone gets bit because they weren't 100% "accepting" (as is their right to disagree). And round and round we go.

So if you come up with a way to seperate the two, I'm sure everyone would be the better for it.

quote:

No one proclaims something without wanting a reaction. You got a reaction. Now how you deal with that reaction (for better or worse) says more about your original intent than you may think.

quote:

If you can't even be honest about the ongoing political activism present in the Pride community, you can't expect to be taken seriously in any discussion.

Again, most people are neutral about other people's life choices so long as you aren't constantly knocking on their door trying to sell them something they have no interest in. Keep the toxic activists off the forums (from any position), that's something no one is remotely interested in. And if you actually find a real "bigot", then by all means report them to moderation. But just a protip, it would greatly help your position if some of ya'll would stop calling everyone bigots at the slightest disagreement (most of which is centered around CIG breaking their own forum rules).

quote:

It's not about homophobia, just don't mix everything.

When i play star citizen, i want to fly a space ship and pew pew, nothing else.
I don't want to play an lgbt space simulator.

They can do what they want in their private life but why do they need to show it to the world ?

We don't care about their sexuality, it's their choice. We don't want to be exposed to the rainbow flag as they don't want to be exposed to something they don't like.

Irl i like guns but i will not put guns in front of peoples who are scared of them because it will make them uncomfortable and aggressive.

If you want tolerance, you must be tolerant.

quote:

We should do an islam pride month were we will share video / photo of slaughtered sheep everyday.

Even if you find this disgusting, you will have to support the event because you love love everyone, right ?

You must understand some peoples are not comfortable with your sexuality and they don't want to hear about it.
They are not your enemies but don't expect them to become friendly by doing propaganda.

Private things should remain private.

Mirificus fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 5, 2023

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

You know what? Crobbers is my hero, I wish he scams these people out of every penny they've ever earned.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Blobers new account spotted!

https://massivelyop.com/2023/06/01/...#comment-925301

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Burn it all to the ground.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Lol gay people existing is “political statement”. When Piss Cat isn’t even the worst human being in a thread, you know you have a wonderful community.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

:ohno:

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame

Xakura posted:

You know what? Crobbers is my hero, I wish he scams these people out of every penny they've ever earned.

This, pretty much. Star Citizen: Where retirement funds go to die.

Bmac32
Nov 25, 2012

Xakura posted:

yeah, pretty much this. I stopped feeling sorry for them being scammed years ago.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate
Holy poo poo this is still going. I have a billion kids now.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

piece of human garbage cat guy posted:

It doesn't 'bring out' anything, it was all brought in on purpose - same as last year. There are many people of many persuasions in this community and generally we all get on just fine. There are also those who have a life's ambition to cause mischief in this community too, they are the one's mostly replying to themselves in this baiting snow-storm, you really think the fact that it is constantly being reposted with a slightly different slant is a coincidence?... with of course a few easily triggered for good measure. It's their intent to cause strife, they want people pointing fingers and getting irate, then they show it out to the wider gaming world and say.. See told ya!

Characterizing hate speech as people just wanting to "cause a little mischief" is definitely a take.

gently caress that guy. He doesn't deserve to use a cat as his avatar. Cats hate all humans equally.

Cutedge fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jun 6, 2023

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Baxta posted:

Holy poo poo this is still going. I have a billion kids now.

Boris Johnson secret account found.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
:barf: :negative: :yikes: :ohno:

Good god, they just kept going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Randalor posted:

Burn it all to the ground.

Video Games > Star Citizen: Burn it all to the ground.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Xakura posted:

This has always been my position.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Kavros posted:

Two major scenarios for creating that kind of scenario:

- The project is loaded up with so much tech debt that it requires phenomenal amounts of labor and internal testing cycles to create even the most incremental of change visible to the end-user

- Project management is indecisive and nitpicky enough that entire content creation passes are reversed or overwritten, regardless of the effort they required, and the cycle tends to repeat

it's SC so probably both

The guy who left a company i worked for to work on SC came back a year later and said that every single one of his changes got veto'd by CR so it kinda tracks.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Lol imagine being that loving pigshit ignorant in TOOL 2023 on the goddamn internet. What a bunch of fuckin dorks.

Seriously if the backlash from this is the straw that finally breaks this scamels back, then thats one more thing the LGBT+ community can add its list of things to be proud of.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

Zeniel posted:

Seriously if the backlash from this is the straw that finally breaks this scamels back, then thats one more thing the LGBT+ community can add its list of things to be proud of.

Sadly it’s like this every year and nothing changes. CIG exists in a symbiotic relationship with these turds and can’t continue without allowing them to fester.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
What's weird to me is that this is where they draw the line on the grifting. Like how much would they stand to lose/gain on going full chud and selling straight pride skins during pride month