Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Is there any tool to take a real route and find which route in Zwift would be most comparable to it? There's a climb event I want to do and finding an analogue isn't easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass
I think it might be easier to do this. "Convert a real-life route to a Zwift workout"https://whatsonzwift.com/gpx-to-zwift-workout

mikemelbrooks fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 15, 2023

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Speaking of The Apps, Strava is apparently raising prices by as much as double as the old fees (but they’re not announcing it and just hope that you won’t notice):

https://youtu.be/s3szJ67iM1E

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

mikemelbrooks posted:

I think it might be easier to do this. "Convert a real-life route to a Zwift workout"https://whatsonzwift.com/gpx-to-zwift-workout
Interesting. That looks promising. Thank you!

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Freaquency posted:

Speaking of The Apps, Strava is apparently raising prices by as much as double as the old fees (but they’re not announcing it and just hope that you won’t notice):

https://youtu.be/s3szJ67iM1E

It’s incredible to me that Strava somehow still reigns as the place for “social” fitness stuff.

I sure as hell ain’t renewing for double the price when so little has changed over the years. How has no one else eaten their lunch yet??

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I really don't know. Aside from tracking rides it doesn't really do anything well, and that part is free.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Segments? Leaderboards? Route planning? I think it does all of these well and has more data by a massive margin on the heatmap and segments than any other website. I also have more connections on their site than any other which makes it much more useful as a social network imo. You may not care a about these things or think what they want you to pay for is worth it but they have a niche no one else does.

That said there are things I’d love for them to build out more. But VV typically fills this and I get workout stuff from TP.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
At least it’s not £20 a month like trainerroad is at the moment. Strong dollar and billing in USD for everyone is part of it, but their price is way over the odds when compared to zwift or Wahoo SYSTM for instance.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

$99/yr TR grandfather :whatup:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

TR is $189/year for me. :negative:

But if Strava raises my price next renewal I may seriously look at if I'm going to renew.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
I had a lower TR price, but went on hiatus a bit back not knowing about the grandfather rules. I came back a few months later to the privilege of 189/year. I really dropped the ball on that one. TR is pretty much the perfect platform for me on the trainer though so it's still totally worth it. Not sure I'll be keeping strava through my next re-up though. I actually do use some of the premium stuff, but I could probably live without just as well.

I had a ramp test today and I'm pretty impressed with their "AI FTP detection" stuff. I've been treating it like a game and hitting the AI button before my test to see what it says. Then binning the results and ramping anyways to see what I can get for real. I've managed to squeak by it a bit each time. But it's always within a very tight margin and that's kinda impressive to me. It seems like, at least for me, it's actually pretty accurate.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Crumps Brother posted:

I had a lower TR price, but went on hiatus a bit back not knowing about the grandfather rules. I came back a few months later to the privilege of 189/year. I really dropped the ball on that one. TR is pretty much the perfect platform for me on the trainer though so it's still totally worth it. Not sure I'll be keeping strava through my next re-up though. I actually do use some of the premium stuff, but I could probably live without just as well.

I had a ramp test today and I'm pretty impressed with their "AI FTP detection" stuff. I've been treating it like a game and hitting the AI button before my test to see what it says. Then binning the results and ramping anyways to see what I can get for real. I've managed to squeak by it a bit each time. But it's always within a very tight margin and that's kinda impressive to me. It seems like, at least for me, it's actually pretty accurate.

I did a ramp test today as well. I was sick at the end of last week, but was feeling better on Sunday, so figured I'd give it a shot.

Previous ramp test: 278 watts, 165 pounds.
1/17/2023 ramp test: 271 watts, 165 pounds.

:negative:

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

TrainerRoad has announced via their forum today (and tomorrow via e-mail to members) that existing ‘Legacy’ members with prices that have never changed, will have the option to start changing to the same higher price as others.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...TX8j_jnv61ZWUHz

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Anyone in the 3.0-3.2 range want to be on a Tuesday 4:30pst race team? I think we’re winning right now but we could use a few more bodies.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Stages SB20 and a year of zwift for $1400, only about 10 hours left.

https://stagescycling.com/en_us/sb20-zwift

Anyone know if they are clearing these out for a new model or something? Got some thinking to do…

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Wifi Toilet posted:

Stages SB20 and a year of zwift for $1400, only about 10 hours left.

https://stagescycling.com/en_us/sb20-zwift

Anyone know if they are clearing these out for a new model or something? Got some thinking to do…

No, they’ve just been dropping the price consistently for months. I just don’t think they’re selling that many.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

No, they’ve just been dropping the price consistently for months. I just don’t think they’re selling that many.

Already out of stock. That would have been a good deal. Cheaper than a lot of direct drive units, especially if you add in the cost of a dedicated bike.

Bunny Fiesta
Apr 14, 2005
I jumped on the sale before they ran out, and there was an emphatic warning in the email they sent about the wiring harness. For anyone who already has an SB20 -- what's the wiring harness like? Is it hard to tell if it's fully seated? Does it back out over time? I know someone with a Peloton and the wire going into the display seems to back out fairly regularly.

Maybe I should go full bikepacking and voile strap it in place.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Crushed Warlow+1 this morning. TR has me on a cycle where on Saturday mornings I’m doing progressively harder 90 minute over/under threshold workouts. It’s almost at the point that I’m dreading opening up the app, but not quite. Seems sustainable.

:v:

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Residency Evil posted:

Crushed Warlow+1 this morning. TR has me on a cycle where on Saturday mornings I’m doing progressively harder 90 minute over/under threshold workouts. It’s almost at the point that I’m dreading opening up the app, but not quite. Seems sustainable.

I did buttertubs +2, watching Paris-Nice helped a lot for motivation.

Warlow looks horrible

At least you can skip the FTP tests when they pop up… that’s something I really can’t get in the headspace for on a Saturday morning.

wooger fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 11, 2023

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Residency Evil posted:

Nice Saturday ride! My next training block is going to have me doing the exact same thing. I'm really bad at threshold relative to other zones so I'm right with you on the dreading them too. I only have a couple weeks or so left of a big 6 month block on the experimental polarization plans. I'm kinda winging it for this week and next. So today I went ahead and knocked out Highland+3. My butt hurts.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

wooger posted:

I did buttertubs +2, watching Paris-Nice helped a lot for motivation.

Warlow looks horrible

At least you can skip the FTP tests when they pop up… that’s something I really can’t get in the headspace for on a Saturday morning.

I need to find a good way to watch bike races.

I've skipped the last two FTP tests since it seems kind of like a wasted workout, and TR has just been gradually upping my FTP via the auto detect. I haven't decided if I want to skip the next FTP test, but who am I kidding.

Crumps Brother posted:

Nice Saturday ride! My next training block is going to have me doing the exact same thing. I'm really bad at threshold relative to other zones so I'm right with you on the dreading them too. I only have a couple weeks or so left of a big 6 month block on the experimental polarization plans. I'm kinda winging it for this week and next. So today I went ahead and knocked out Highland+3. My butt hurts.

Funny enough I'm fine with threshold, but VO2 max workouts kill me. I've got Sleeping Beauty + 8 first thing next week and I'm dreading it.

quote:

Sleeping Beauty +5 is 6 sets of 5x30/15's where 30 seconds are spent at 135% FTP and then immediately followed by 15 seconds of much lighter Endurance work.

Recoveries between sets of intervals are 3.5 minutes long.

:negative:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I'm quite enjoying doing the training plans on Zwift, pitched really well for my level just now. Still really getting used to the turbo, I find it harder to maintain my normal cadance of 85, bouncing around a bit.

The ERG is a bit slow on my trainer as well. Not a huge issue but for those 15 second efforts is just about sorted itself out by the time it's time to slow down.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Aramoro posted:

I'm quite enjoying doing the training plans on Zwift, pitched really well for my level just now. Still really getting used to the turbo, I find it harder to maintain my normal cadance of 85, bouncing around a bit.

The ERG is a bit slow on my trainer as well. Not a huge issue but for those 15 second efforts is just about sorted itself out by the time it's time to slow down.

For short intervals like that probably worth turning ERG off.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

Just did Emerson + 2 today.

quote:

Emerson +2 consists of 5x10-minute over-under intervals spent slightly above or slightly below FTP where 3 minutes at 98% FTP alternate with 2 minute at 108% FTP.

5 minutes of active recovery fall between each interval.

5.9 difficulty and wasn't sure I'd be able to finish it, but I made it. Last hard workout before a week of all endurance work

:getin:

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Let's play with with line graphs! The ups and downs of the last two years have been pretty interesting. I like the fitness and freshness thing that Strava does. It's just a neat little line that broadly suggests a trend. Best not to think about it too deeply, but neat to look at sorta generally.

Going in to my first IWAR (April 2021) I was on the trainer with a rock solid schedule and not much in the way of life holding me back. Put up some solid numbers too. Then I took a break and had a kid with my wife. Still managed to train decently, but came to a plateau cuz, you know, life and sleep got a little wonky. Trained my way to my second IWAR and even though technically my numbers were lower I went in to the race feeling much better. There's a lot to be said about general preparedness for these kinds of things. Then I started prepping/packing/whatnot to move across the country and riding was definitely on the back burner. Totally tanked my fitness.

After the move I still wasn't riding much, but then one of my wife's favorite breweries held a cross race on the grounds. So she kinda insisted we make the trip, I race, and we have a day of it. Holy cow I got absolutely destroyed in that race like I haven't been in years and years. I did, however, bunny hop up the stairs in one of my laps so all in all it was a pretty good day. Because I had the time available and a more consistent schedule in life I figured I'd jump on the Z2 bandwagon. So I queue up about 6 or so months of TR's mid-volume polarization plan. It was pretty fun. Four hour trainer rides on the weekend really bring out the truth in your fit and equipment. My wife would usually stop up with our daughter at some point too. She's keen to ride her bike when we hang out in the attic, but loves to ride her bike when she sees me on mine as well. So then we end up with this cuteness overload:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV-CUmG9Ue4

I had another cross race later and even just that little bit of training consistency was enough to get right back in to the mid-pack where I'm so used to being. More training and a really good fat bike race later and things are looking up. I had one more gravel race planned for the start of April and then I'd switch back over to sweet spot training because with another kid on the way I certainly wasn't going to be able to plan on big block Z2 weekend rides for awhile. To finish the whole Z2 block off I also scheduled two extra weeks where I did the hardest possible tempo ride (five hours) one week followed by the hardest possible endurance ride (six hours) the next. I was also going to try and squeeze out one of those level 10 (it's a trainerroad ranking thing) VO2Max workouts but it turns out I have to start tapping out early on those right around level 8.

I've been through a five hour stint before in prep for my second IWAR. I fueled it entirely with GCN's Big Day Out concoction. Worked like a charm! Not bad at all and I ended up making a large bottle of that for IWAR and I have no complaints at all about it. I was less scientific for these two long rides though. Fueled with clif bars, espresso beans, gummy snacks, and gatorade in my water to fill in the gaps. I was doing about 90g of carbs per hour, but put zero attention in to things like protein, fat, or glucose:fructose ratios. Killed it on the five hour tempo ride. But that six hour endurance ride? Holy hell, I totally fell apart right at the 5:20 mark. I spent just about the same amount of time off the bike before 5:20 as I did after it. Good times. Totally worth it.

The last little bit of my line graph was my two week taper in to the final gravel race. Of course, there's no orange line there because fuckin' lol my wife went in to labor 3 weeks early on the morning of the final day of registration (two days before the event). So now it's back to mid-volume standard rear end TR plans up to cross season. And we'll see how that shakes out with another newborn in the mix again. Not sure how many races I'll get to do, but I'm happy with whatever I end up doing.

In conclusion, that experimental polarization plan (Z2 bandwagon) is pretty neat. It sure pumped up my numbers. But with the hole I was crawling out of any kind of consistent training was gonna get that job done. Also, sorry if this was a little too blog posty. It was half an excuse to post my daughter on her bike with me on the trainer.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Crumps Brother posted:

... My wife would usually stop up with our daughter at some point too. She's keen to ride her bike when we hang out in the attic, but loves to ride her bike when she sees me on mine as well. So then we end up with this cuteness overload:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV-CUmG9Ue4

Unreal how adorable this is!!!

For the tracking you are doing, is it all Strava where you collect stuff/where do you feed in data from app-wise if you have power meters on your bike as well?

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

tildes posted:

For the tracking you are doing, is it all Strava where you collect stuff/where do you feed in data from app-wise if you have power meters on your bike as well?
All of my indoor rides are through TrainerRoad. I usually use the TR app on my phone (and managed to burn in the TR screen on my last phone), but sometimes I'll use the windows program on one of my PCs up here in the attic. My TR account is connected to my Strava account so everything between them gets shared. That means any outdoor rides I do can be imported and counted towards a scheduled workout and every indoor ride gets to pollute the feed of anyone foolish enough to follow me on Strava.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Crumps Brother posted:

That means any outdoor rides I do can be imported and counted towards a scheduled workout and every indoor ride gets to pollute the feed of anyone foolish enough to follow me on Strava.

If blowing up the feeds of other Strava users with every little 20 minute workout I do is wrong, I don’t want to be right

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Since my last ramp test TR absolutely refuses to give me a nice round number.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Does anyone have any solutions to intermittent connectivity issues with my trainer over Bluetooth? Occasionally, my kickr bike will get lazy and not respond to TR changing resistance. Sometimes changing to standard/back to erg fixes it. Sometimes raising the percentage difficulty does. It seems to occur less after I unplug the bike, but it always seems to return. Are there any good fixes?

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
it drove me nuts so I moved my ant+ receiver closer using a long cable and that works

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Well that can't be good... I was wondering why the bike was bouncing a lot more than usual.

Longshot, but if anyone's got a Kurt Kinetic Rock and Roll trainer v1, I'll send you a box of spare parts for shipping. Otherwise they're going on eBay.

e: oh hey, wahoo kicker core on sale at REI for $450. Guess it’s time to shatter any illusions about my power output and finally get a smart trainer.

Wifi Toilet fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jun 6, 2023

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Look at the swift hub too, if you are using swift especially.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Lex Neville posted:

it drove me nuts so I moved my ant+ receiver closer using a long cable and that works

I’m using Bluetooth. I changed the position of my phone and it seems to be working for now. :tinfoil:

Vinz Clortho
Jul 19, 2004

Wahoo KICKR Core is 50% off at REI right now.

Edit: Whoops, missed this.

Wifi Toilet posted:

e: oh hey, wahoo kicker core on sale at REI for $450. Guess it’s time to shatter any illusions about my power output and finally get a smart trainer.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

drat. Can I hack something together to run a 7-speed on that? I’ve been looking for a winter cardio solution.

Vinz Clortho
Jul 19, 2004

ThePopeOfFun posted:

drat. Can I hack something together to run a 7-speed on that? I’ve been looking for a winter cardio solution.

Apparently it's possible:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

ThePopeOfFun posted:

absolutely can, HG hasn’t changed in like 30 years, kickr is 11sp road HG though so you’ll need a spacer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

I’ve had my Zwift Hub for 6 months now so I figured now is as good a time as any to give everyone my impressions in case somebody is shopping around for a bargain smart trainer.

For context, I moved from using a Peloton at the office to a dumb trainer during lockdown, and finally bit the bullet on a smart trainer because I was tired of guesstimating how hard I should be working.

Things started out a bit rough - the quick release axle broke at the nut on the 3rd ride that I did. It was tightened properly, but the threads just… unthreaded? I contacted Zwift support and they ultimately got it fixed, but it took a lot of back and forth and lots of photos. They gave me 2 free months of Zwift for my trouble, but the new quick release showed up right before the holidays so I didn’t get a lot of riding in at that point. Otherwise the build quality is pretty good; the base is sturdy and doesn’t move around even during heavy efforts, the resistance mechanism itself is pretty quiet, and it’s easy to get the bike on and off of the trainer.

Connectivity has always been really good for me. I have it paired to an iPad and have never had it drop. I’ve also compared it to the speed and cadence sensors I had from my old trainer and they are pretty close to identical, so I’d say it’s pretty accurate on that front.

I’ve been using the Hub with Zwift and I’ve been really pleased with the experience. I started out doing the workouts and moved on to the group events. I can get a little frustrated in Erg mode when I’m climbing a hill while locked at a low wattage, since it makes me feel like I’m doing even less work, but the Hub is very fast at switching to the correct power. Some of the workouts I’ve done ask for short bursts of high wattage and it gets up to the correct resistance almost instantly. For the last 6 weeks I did the FTP Builder workout plan, and afterwards my ramp test showed a 30W improvement, so at least for an amateur those structured workout plans seem to be a good way to see some gains.

Overall, for $500 bucks I think it’s a really good value. I admittedly don’t have any point of comparison besides the Peloton and my dumb trainer, but I haven’t seen anything that has made me feel like I would have been better off with something like a TacX.