Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Jack Trades posted:

Are there any moves with the armor breaking properties in the game besides Marisa's charged Gladius?

It's mostly Marisa and supers, I believe, with others doing their armor-breaking primarily through multi-hit attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mega Comrade posted:

What are their main complaints? (No I will not read Reddit)

I'm curious too. Like I genuinely wonder how somebody good with modern controls is against somebody good with traditional. Ideally there's no difference but I feel like the latter might have the edge?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Too real...

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mega Comrade posted:

Dawgstar posted:

I'm curious too. Like I genuinely wonder how somebody good with modern controls is against somebody good with traditional. Ideally there's no difference but I feel like the latter might have the edge?

People losing on Classic against players using Modern think it's unfair that the other guy had help.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Dawgstar posted:

I don't know if it's too early still, but I'd assume if that were the case, all the top players that will be crawling the pro tour would be using modern controls in ranked. At the moment, I'm pretty sure most are all using classic.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Dawgstar posted:

IMO I don't think we will see any pros using modern. It limits options. But that's why I think it's so well balanced.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

AndrewP posted:

Reddit seems pretty mad about Modern controls lol

??? Just had a look on the r/streetfighter subreddit and I can only find people being really positive about it, saying it’s let them enjoy the game for the first time, with the occasional reply just being like ‘eh its not for me’

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
One of the best advantages to modern controls even if you don't stick with them is they give you a way to feel out whether you like a character without having to dive in and out of the command list for an hour just to see all the moves/combos. I'm probably going to stick with Kimberley for a while but there were times in SFV when I got bored of Laura, and tried other people, but kept bouncing back just due to the time investment. Not as much of a problem anymore.

I also love how each character has their own individual LP ranking rather than it just being 1 attached to your profile. They want you to try out all the characters this time, it will add a lot of life to the game.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
On lower ranks (which these people complaining absoutely are) I find the modern players way more intimidating, because you know those people actually know how to execute their entire thing. Sure, you can basically guarantee that they've only got three blockstrings and every special is gonna be the same strength, but that's till more tools, deployed more reliably, than a lot of Classic players.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Does anyone know if quest 15-2 can ber completed and if yes then how?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
The huge difference between modern and classic is that it's much faster to get your intention on the screen with modern. The sheer number of rounds I've lost on classic because I've recognised a situation, responded correctly in my head, only for my hands to do the wrong thing is high to say the least.

Much of that will come with experience and I know it, but especially for someone newer to the experience, I imagine being able to play with intent is going to feel really satisfying.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

teagone posted:

I don't know if it's too early still, but I'd assume if that were the case, all the top players that will be crawling the pro tour would be using modern controls in ranked. At the moment, I'm pretty sure most are all using classic.

Of the top players that are streaming I've yet to see anyone using modern, or complain about it. It seems to be a complete non-issue at that level, I've only seen redditors and casuals mad about modern.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

My experience with modern controls is that I've absolutely whooped some folks online who are using them, and had my rear end whooped by some as well.

When using them myself I've handed out a couple of beatings and then been destroyed by others.

So, in other words, just like Classic controls.

The big learning impact of Classic/Modern in SF6 should be all the other poo poo that goes into being good at a fighting game. As someone who is self confessed bad at fighting games, it doesn't matter if the other guy did a quarter-circle-punch or just pressed Y - if I can't stop it then there's a bunch of other stuff I need to learn to deal with it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Double Bill posted:

Of the top players that are streaming I've yet to see anyone using modern, or complain about it. It seems to be a complete non-issue at that level, I've only seen redditors and casuals mad about modern.

Yeah that's what I figured. I think modern is cool. I've been trying it out exclusively in World Tour/avatar battles. Makes mashing fun, lol.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Modern also make's people's offense a lot more predictable because the autocombos are always the same and SF6 in particular had a fuckton of options to blow up lineal offense.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
I've mostly been bumming around as Marisa, Zangief (oh my god I love 'gief's arcade story so much) and funnily enough Luke although I've only been online with the first. Proudest moment this weekend was pulling off ten SPDs in a row on pad without flubbing the input or coming in from an empty jump. Considering I've always wanted to play grapplers but felt put off by the daunting requirements of 360s and 720s I was quite chuffed!

Anyone here put any time in with Jamie? He looks interesting and very flashy (also his theme bops, definitely my favourite) but I'm hesitant to commit time to him due to his drinking mechanic unlocking actual moves, that feels a bit *too* much of a steep hill to unlock something as fundamental as a dive kick (speaking from someone who last played SF with SF4 and we all remember Rufus and Yun)? Maybe I'm overthinking it - I did his character guide but I'm keen to read/watch some feedback. I might wait to unlock him as a master in world tour and use his style just to get the hang of it.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

The Grumbles posted:

??? Just had a look on the r/streetfighter subreddit and I can only find people being really positive about it, saying it’s let them enjoy the game for the first time, with the occasional reply just being like ‘eh its not for me’

this is usually the case when people on this forum say reddit is mad lol

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Mega Comrade posted:

Being able to air spd or insta super with one button is super funny ngl

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i like modern controls a lot because it means i get a much better fight against someone new to street fighter, feels like it raises the skill floor of competition a lot. you won't win loads of matches because you're playing someone new who can't confirm or link or combo and they'll actually be able to do good damage against you if you mess up.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

Modern also make's people's offense a lot more predictable because the autocombos are always the same and SF6 in particular had a fuckton of options to blow up lineal offense.

yeah people are saying 'top players are using modern' but thats because its early days, as people get more used to the game there'll be less reason to use it. it doesnt really unlock any new options for most characters (i think it enables some shenanigans with gief?) so theres only really downside to it assuming you have godlike execution.

ofc for casual players itll always have a place but i cant see it dominating evo

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I pulled off a loving insane combo with Cammy yesterday night and god drat did it feel incredible. I couldn't even tell you what I did except that it ended with an OD Cannon Spike into Aerial Killer Bee but in the moment, just for a second, I was in a flow zone I don't think I have had in a fighter since my old Soulcalibur II. Game was worth it just for letting me have that.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Started trying Jamie on a whim yesterday: I have no idea what the gently caress I am doing, but neither do my opponents, and I win sometimes, so there is that? He is amazingly fun to play, though I need to get better at taking sips when I can.

I have no idea if this is canon, but I think of him as Gen's drunk grandson, and that fits for me

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Endorph posted:

yeah people are saying 'top players are using modern' but thats because its early days, as people get more used to the game there'll be less reason to use it. it doesnt really unlock any new options for most characters (i think it enables some shenanigans with gief?) so theres only really downside to it assuming you have godlike execution.

ofc for casual players itll always have a place but i cant see it dominating evo

Zangief with modern controls is perhaps the closest thing to feeling like it's a bit of a nightmare. Making grabs easier and more intuitive to pull off is one of the more immediate benefits of modern controls to new players, and with Zangief that's obviously a problem.

Again though, a better player than me should be able to counter that and have a solution for it.

TulliusCicero posted:

Started trying Jamie on a whim yesterday: I have no idea what the gently caress I am doing, but neither do my opponents, and I win sometimes, so there is that? He is amazingly fun to play, though I need to get better at taking sips when I can.

I have no idea if this is canon, but I think of him as Gen's drunk grandson, and that fits for me

I have played against Jamie 4 or 5 times on Ranked and have won every time - but only just and they've always been pretty chaotic/thrilling fights. I never feel comfortable fighting against a Jamie player and some time soon one of them is going to completely kick my rear end.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

anime was right posted:

Being able to air spd or insta super with one button is super funny ngl

Technically it's several buttons, super is SP button + heavy, that plus a direction for some supers etc. In MvC2 you could do a super pretty quick, plus you could do a team super thing without a motion, just two buttons. I guess my point is being more like MvC2 (perhaps the greatest game ever made) is not a bad thing.

Also, going into the combo trials in modern, later on it still is insane hand pretzel stuff. With really fast reaction. That will probably not happen for many Smash players and people not into this style, or me probably, but I did do a bunch of them. Memorizing them all is another thing too. The game is still crazy complicated with inputs when you get deep into it, even in modern.

Also it's like taking a class and memorizing for a test, all the insane amounts of data required to remember for every movement and character. Not that I'm complaining, game rules and is fun even at a less competitive level for me, just saying if this is the simplified future, I don't think it's been made too easy or anything.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
One thing I'm struggling a bit with right now is using Drive Rush in neutral. I get that the input is Forward Parry Forward but on Manon it feels like it takes ages for it to come out where what I'm seeing in pro videos feels nearly unreactably instant.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://streamable.com/i5hlfr

https://streamable.com/t1muse

Capcom? Why?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dawgstar posted:

Chinatown's where you talk to Chun Li and I don't recall that ever being blocked off. If you've gotten your metro pass from Luke you can ride to the part of the city with the stadium if that's where you need to go.

Tried that. Its blocked by cops from both sides so it doesnt work.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Real hurthling! posted:

Tried that. Its blocked by cops from both sides so it doesnt work.

Can you get to the bit you need to by going down the pedestrian street where Chun Li is, and then going into the side alley near her?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Arzachel posted:

Drive rush adds +4 block/hit stun to the first move you do out of it (green splatter visual). Enable the frame meter in training mode and play around with how much advantage you get off different moves or just do DR st.mp cr.mp xx mk legs or sbk as Chun. The same thing will work both when canceling parry or cancelable normals like cr.mk

Thanks. In modern her cr.mp requires the assist button, but I've been messing with that one a bit. I also like doing drive rush into cr.mk since it's kind of like a slide kick etc. In general doing holding R1 for parry to R2 for assist etc with several face buttons as quick as possible for a drive rush is a tad of a challenge.

Plus, some of these combos I'm trying seem to be available outside of drive rush's bonus as well. So it seems like the main advantage is it covering more distance quickly, or Justin Wong said something about using it to get in, in that video linked earlier. But yeah I pretty much have not touched drive rushes until right now, it is interesting to mess with.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
There aren't multiple save slots for world tour, are there? My partner saw me playing it, and said she'd like to try it, so I figure WT would be an simple introduction for her to fighting games

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Breetai posted:

Can you get to the bit you need to by going down the pedestrian street where Chun Li is, and then going into the side alley near her?

Nope theres one perfectly wedged cop car and barricade set at that gate

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

inthesto posted:

There aren't multiple save slots for world tour, are there? My partner saw me playing it, and said she'd like to try it, so I figure WT would be an simple introduction for her to fighting games

Are you playing on PC or console?

On console I imagine just have her make/ play on her profile.

On PC you could do the steam library share thing if she has her own account, but you can't play during that time with her if you do.

Other than that I think world tour is just one character per profile, could be wrong though

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

Thoughts about Dynamic controls? I know it's offline only. Is it good for someone who's never played, or just have them use Modern?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Banjo Bones posted:

Thoughts about Dynamic controls? I know it's offline only. Is it good for someone who's never played, or just have them use Modern?

If you literally just want to button mash then Dynamic is good for that. Otherwise I think Modern is easy enough.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

TulliusCicero posted:

Are you playing on PC or console?

On console I imagine just have her make/ play on her profile.

On PC you could do the steam library share thing if she has her own account, but you can't play during that time with her if you do.

Other than that I think world tour is just one character per profile, could be wrong though

Yeah, I'm on PC and we only have one Steam account, womp womp

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Wanted to clarify: you can absolutely local matches with her on Steam if you are library sharing, you just can't be running steam at the same time (I think?).

It's free to make a steam account for her, and once you share your library, she can play everything you have for free.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Heavy Metal posted:

Plus, some of these combos I'm trying seem to be available outside of drive rush's bonus as well. So it seems like the main advantage is it covering more distance quickly, or Justin Wong said something about using it to get in, in that video linked earlier. But yeah I pretty much have not touched drive rushes until right now, it is interesting to mess with.

Gold here, no pro strats but I'm using it to spiceup the offense. I'm playing Juri so I have to constantly weave in and out, sometimes DR catches the opponent by surprise.
Juri's rush is among the fastest, though.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
How long does it take to unlock costumes in world tour mode? I don't love the mode but I don't want to buy them.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

JBP posted:

How long does it take to unlock costumes in world tour mode? I don't love the mode but I don't want to buy them.

Depends on the character. You need to meet them and then do a little bit of grinding but meeting the characters is spread out evenly across the 15 hours of the campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Real hurthling! posted:

Im on chapter 7-4 and im stuck?
I need to go to chinatown in daytime but its blocked by cop cars

Real hurthling! posted:

Nope theres one perfectly wedged cop car and barricade set at that gate

I got stuck with I believe the exact same issue and it ended up I was trying to get at it from the wrong side - I think I was trying to get at it from the West side and I had to take the bus to the East side and work my way back that way.