Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also even if their reasons at the time were not explicity just racism I don't have very much faith in the upstanding moral character of people who take refuge in the kind of nostalgia the brexit brigade were pushing.

If nigel farage standing in front of a billboard full of a line of people saying "this is all the immigrants and we have to keep them out" didn't put you off then there's something wrong with you whether or not at the time you were a dyed in the wool EDL member.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think one positive thing is that the longer this goes on, the more likely we get Mick Lynch's Brexit over Boris Johnson's, because Brexit was sold as oven ready and easy when it's actually going to be hard work.

And if there's one thing that Mick can do a day of which terrifies Boris, it's that.

Tesseraction posted:

Easy to assume the billionaires don't care about saving money on energy bills.
Those articles about genius inventor Boris Johnson vs. the woke war on wood aren't for the billionaires, they're for the middle class homeowners.

I went for a nice walk around Abbey Park in Leicester, via Beaumont Leys (50s council estate area). One thing that always strikes me is the number of solar panels on the roofs around there, and there were a few split system heat pumps as well as of recently (since Rishi made them VAT free).

In the suburbs there's maybe two houses with solar and one with visible HVAC. In the villages there's none.

That reminded me of that Nation of Shopkeepers book, which argues that Marx's petty bourgeoisie of artisans, shopkeepers, and clerks, rather than being crushed by industry and proletarianized as he predicted, ballooned to the largest class under the welfare state and later neoliberalism, with three distinct subclasses, the artisans became self-employed tradesmen who bought their old council houses, the shopkeepers became small business tyrants and the backbone of brexitrump and anti-lockdown, and the clerks became the professional-managerial class and a whole lot of what David Graeber termed bullshit jobs.

Trades tend to be early adopters, they're the people who Dewalt, Milwaukee, and Makita compete for with the latest battery systems, and the first lot to install UPVC on their right to buys, while the Telegraph at the time was whining that it fell to bits in 10 minutes and would take £7,000 pounds off of the value of your house! So it makes absolute sense that this group would go in hard for solar, because similarly they can do the maths and it just makes sense to have it in the long run.

It also makes absolute sense for the Telegraph to piss and moan about it, because they're angling at the other two groups, who are against heat pumps and solar because either "it's new and we never needed it before George Saurus invented climate change" or "but what if it devalues my house and it breaks and my neighbours don't talk to me because I got the wrong brand and they think I'm a pleb for having a Fujitsu?"

That's the worried middle who will click on all the heat pump and solar clickbait that the Telegraph can poo poo out.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Perhaps people who have money are also bad at thinking about saving it. My parents constantly whine about how expensive things are but they also spend stupid amounts of money renovating things in the house that don't need renovating but have at no point considered improving the windows, puting solar panels on, new boiler etc. They could afford it easily but apparently just don't think about it. Just mindless consumption of stupid poo poo and watching house flipping programs that give them more stupid loving ideas.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
https://twitter.com/Nigel_Farage/status/1665418520992133120

The grift never ends.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Guavanaut posted:

Nigel Farage football stickers. Featuring Nigel Farage dressed as all your favourite footballers. The Bukayo Saka and Raheem Sterling ones have been specifically condemned by the SPLC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fwSO0IGyX8
lmao called it, discount Trump scam

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I do not want to 👀 at nigel's twitter space he can keep that covered in public thank you very much.

Actually that whole thing reads too much like an onlyfans.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/SirEmmerson/status/1665364834979041281

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

OwlFancier posted:

I do not want to 👀 at nigel's twitter space he can keep that covered in public thank you very much.

Actually that whole thing reads too much like an onlyfans.

Exclusive 'behind' the 'scenes' content :grin:

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

does jeremy corbyn pay for twitter?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's possible he's one of the people that just have it anyway because twitter is broken.

He does also have a pretty massive twitter following so maybe he just thinks it's useful.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jel Shaker posted:

Twitter decided to give away some blue ticks to some notable people after everything, because Elon Musk is a cretin

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Jel Shaker posted:

Apparently if you have over 1 million followers you automatically get a blue tick.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Labour have a history of meeting terrorists.

loving disgrace

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Can you hand the blue star back like an obe?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lmao

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Stop going on Twitter you fools

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Perhaps people who have money are also bad at thinking about saving it. My parents constantly whine about how expensive things are but they also spend stupid amounts of money renovating things in the house that don't need renovating but have at no point considered improving the windows, puting solar panels on, new boiler etc. They could afford it easily but apparently just don't think about it. Just mindless consumption of stupid poo poo and watching house flipping programs that give them more stupid loving ideas.
There's a definite element of class snobbery too, if not from the homeowners then definitely from the people directing and bankrolling those renovation shows.

Coming from the my dad said so college of social research, but a lot of those solar installations in BL were apparently organically spread neighbour to neighbour, some being trades certified to fit their own, others just talking about "so are those panels any good?" "yeah they cut my bills in half, I can help you wire them up if you want" until there's streets where there's more with than not.

Personally I think it's both cool and a bit hilarious that the area that was a byword for 'chavvy and criminal' when I grew up there is now a high tech green energy exporter on a nice day like today, but as that book said there's sections of society that define their habitus mostly by blind reaction to others, so I'd bet there's parts of the suburbs that reject solar precisely because 'those people' embraced it. They wouldn't say it like that, but "oh doesn't it make the roof look tacky" and so on. That then tends to bleed into what the people producing aspirational renovation shows will even consider, as with UPVC doors and windows 20 years back.

happyhippy posted:

Labour have a history of meeting terrorists.

loving disgrace
That's the ANC meeting terrorists though :confused:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have noticed the panels seem to cluster when I see them about so yeah I would buy that neighbours chat about them and that helps more people adopt them.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I probably would, if SA / SALR would create an embeddable preview that worked directly with website links.

I honestly never thought twitter could get worse, but you've got to hand it to Musk, if there's something you think can't possibly be hosed up any worse, his capacity to gently caress everything up is absolutely boundless.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Hugh_Janus888/status/1665427144338558977

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

wait is he starting an onlyfans?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I'm in a conservation area so not allowed solar panels on the roof. The planning officer admitted if I just did it they would have to allow it though as they dont have the power to prevent it. which is a clear and helpful strategy to have adopted

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I need my fix of the dumbest poo poo I've ever seen.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
In this land of transphobia and idiocy the magic rectangle in my bag is reserved for things that are a respite from it not more of the same

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Nettle Soup posted:

Onlygams

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I'm too stupid for my t-shirt, too stupid for my t-shirt

https://twitter.com/Marsh4LL1/status/1665447514256859138?s=20

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I'm in a conservation area so not allowed solar panels on the roof. The planning officer admitted if I just did it they would have to allow it though as they dont have the power to prevent it. which is a clear and helpful strategy to have adopted

is the problem, i dunno, birds getting blinded?

one presumes you're not putting a solar-thermal death laser on your house

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Google Jeb Bush posted:

is the problem, i dunno, birds getting blinded?

one presumes you're not putting a solar-thermal death laser on your house

it doesnt look nice.

There was a planning application down the road i looked at a while ago. they had permission approved to build a single house in the garden of another large house. But they had sold off that land and permission to someone else who was now trying to change the planning to be two semi detached houses that occupied essentially exactly the same footprint.

The house opposite complained in writing for everyone to see that it was offensive to them that everytime they walked out their front door they'd have to look across the road and see semi detached houses and that wasnt in keeping with the village aesthetic.

so yeah

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Maybe it's just because I never get enough sleep that I get very precious about the times when I am actually asleep, but I feel like dropping off a skip at 5:55am - with all the noise associated with such a task - is kind of cuntish behaviour.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I'm too stupid for my t-shirt, too stupid for my t-shirt

https://twitter.com/Marsh4LL1/status/1665447514256859138?s=20

I like how it’s been put in quotation marks as if it’s some important historic quote, rather than something some random loon said in the last couple of years

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Heartbreaking shots of true gammon misery here

https://twitter.com/darren_dutton/status/1665468612407185408?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Gonzo McFee posted:

I need my fix of the dumbest poo poo I've ever seen.
stand back everyone, I got this

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Nettle Soup posted:

Counting down until Farage bathwater, bottled sweat and subscribers only foot photos.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Where's your Blitz Spirit now?!? :lol:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

big scary monsters posted:

It is but one of them died.

Now this is how you start a week off right. Hahahahahahaha.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Had a home energy assessment done recently.
Basically recommended solar energy and water and air to water heat exchangers as the only possible improvements as all the windows and insulation are fine.

This was the net summary of costs and payoff time.

I just can't justify it. If I was definitely going to stay here til I was 60, maybe, but It'd be 5 times longer than I've ever lived anywhere else as an adult.

Plus I honestly have a poor opinion about solar water by itself. I paid for it in Spain and it basically meant in Summer you could have a boiling hot shower and in winter you had to use the electric backup to get a luke warm one. Great for doing laundry and dishwasher though. In combination with a heat pump I figure it would work great.

It's really something that needs to be government funded entirely or done via a special interest free loan or something. I'm decently paid and stable and it's a hard sell, whereas it should just be a no brainer.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Honestly the loving gall of it talking about the cost once house price is taken into account. Housing should not be the central loving commodity for gently caress's sake.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Tesseraction posted:

Honestly the loving gall of it talking about the cost once house price is taken into account. Housing should not be the central loving commodity for gently caress's sake.

I don't know, if it helps people to feel like it's a good decision even if they're not set on staying in their current home for 20 years it's probably a good thing, the more people we get chucking solar on their roofs the better (I'd like to do ours but we're probably moving in two years if not sooner so it'd be an expensive way to help the planet.)

Mebh
May 10, 2010

The wall is over there I know. I wish when you got a mortgage you could take out extra to renovate/rework and do all the energy modernisation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I guess my problem is that the structure of the economy is such that houses are constantly being bought and sold rather than you leaving school/uni, do a job for a bit and then buy the house you'll use until you retire. Maybe I'm just bitter because I'm priced out of buying a house that isn't clearly someone's garage with a window painted on the side.