Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
Tips for Serpent in the Staglands?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

anything for Terra Invicta?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Kanfy posted:

To my eyes the Pathfinder pages could honestly use a lot of cleaning still.

Agree. Entries like that could be distilled down to "the game is pretty obtuse and expects you to have some knowledge of mechanics and what makes a powerful character, so unless you plan to play on lower difficulties, you may want to look up some guides or build ideas".

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The number one thing I look up when starting a game is if anything important is permanently missable. Please create a new wiki that lists everything permanently missable in every new game and also all the old ones. Thanks,

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Saint Freak posted:

The number one thing I look up when starting a game is if anything important is permanently missable. Please create a new wiki that lists everything permanently missable in every new game and also all the old ones. Thanks,

Please PM me the URL once there is one, thanks in advance.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Pooncha posted:

Tips for Serpent in the Staglands?

Early game is rough, be prepared, and recruit all the NPCs companions you can asap in order to get over the first few levels hump.

Don't hesitate to reload if someone dies, you won't find a resurrect scroll.

Don't hesitate to replace early companions with better ones that you'll encounter later.

Mobs are spawned in small groups, but can be aggroed individually. However, if a group isn't fully dead and you save, then *the entire group* will be spawned back when you reload the save. So save scumming works, but only if you got the entire group. Saving after killing one mob generally doesn't work, effectively making things tougher for you.

Read the manual provided with the game.

Even better, read the "written-as-lore" Erlein's handbook which the devs provide on their website. It contains plenty of information giving you a few pointers about the world, monsters and magic. Amongst other things, it contains Incantations that you'll want to use all the time, such as the one which refills an entire stack of arrows.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Anything for The Invisible Hand? I don't know if anyone else is even playing this weird game, i got it in a humble bundle and it's weirdly compelling. I sort of think I know what I'm doing but also I have no idea and I can't tell how much of that is intentional

Also, a tip for Star Wars: Jedi Survivor: as of this moment (June 2023) there is a bug in which the bounty hunting sidequest won't properly trigger. If you get the sidequest to talk to Caij about bounty hunting, but talking to her does not progress the rumor, then you have the bug and you won't be able to do any of the bounty hunting stuff on your save file, even if you beat the game on new game+ (unless they patch the game, but it sounds like this has been a known bug for a while).

I am sharing this tip, because I wish I had known it was the reason why I couldn't progress that sidequest on my first run through the game. I thought I was doing something wrong, but nope, it's a bug, you can just get locked out forever.

It's an annoying bug, because you won't know if you have it until like halfway through the game, so I guess if you're dedicated to platinuming the game, you just have to start over? I still had a blast with the game even without that side of the content, though I suppose I don't know what I was missing. Hopefully they fix this in a patch, it seems like an odd thing to leave broken for so long.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Writing this very vaguely so that it isn't too much of a spoiler, but I'm glad I had this told to me about System Shock 1

- There are several parts where your actions will cause a cycling series of numbers on a computer screen to settle onto one number. Write this number down.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Writing this very vaguely so that it isn't too much of a spoiler, but I'm glad I had this told to me about System Shock 1

- There are several parts where your actions will cause a cycling series of numbers on a computer screen to settle onto one number. Write this number down.

Is it 0451?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

Is it 0451?

No, that's the famous first door code in the game

it's a code you need much later in the game that is at least partially randomized for every playthrough so if you don't write it down you have to backtrack for it later.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

lol i cant remember the other game i noticed this on but its word for word!

https://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Uplink

https://gameplay.tips/guides/10693-uplink.html

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Just think of how many writing credits posters here can give themselves!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Thank you. I definitely wanted to know these simple but useful tips and tricks before I Played the Uplink game. If you have any tips feel free to share with me!

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Sleekly posted:

lol i cant remember the other game i noticed this on but its word for word!

https://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Uplink

https://gameplay.tips/guides/10693-uplink.html

I checked the page history to make sure we hadn't stolen from them, but that page on the wiki was created in 2015 and the thieves posted theirs in 2021, so I guess that's proof enough.

Also I've tidied up the tips on the wiki because the formatting was a bit of a mess.

I assume there's nothing we can do about thieves apart from a stern email which will be ignored.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

ahobday posted:

I checked the page history to make sure we hadn't stolen from them, but that page on the wiki was created in 2015 and the thieves posted theirs in 2021, so I guess that's proof enough.

Also I've tidied up the tips on the wiki because the formatting was a bit of a mess.

I assume there's nothing we can do about thieves apart from a stern email which will be ignored.

probably not, but its not just that game, i didnt check any others on their site because i was simply sucking at Uplink

the best revenge i can think of is to insert deliberately awful tips into popular games that no sane goon would ever do lol

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

There's a cottage industry of websites that copy text from gaming sites, steam guides (and now us!). They are really good at SEO.

It sucks because I used to be able to google info, now I have to go the second page of search results before I find anything that's formatted in a remotely readable way and isn't out of date.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

There's tons of sites that just scrape content from multiple sites and then present it in one page, hoping you don't notice that how cruddy it is being pasted together and how obvious it is that it comes from multiple sources. They hope you land on their site while searching online and then give their ads some impressions.

This is in addition to the countless sites and blogs that write their own stuff (or rewrite it) and are competing for those search results. I'd say it is pointless to waste any energy on both. Just keep doing you, thread.

e;f,b on the first thing

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Fruits of the sea posted:

There's a cottage industry of websites that copy text from gaming sites, steam guides (and now us!). They are really good at SEO.
Yeah. I even started adding a little "if you're not reading this guide on steam it was stolen" intro section to my guides.

Updated Vampire Survivors a bit. Anything important I'm missing?

https://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Vampire_Survivors

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

^^^ Like those t-shirts bait posts that go "this is the legally protected character owned by the Disney corporation, I am willfully breaking the law by posting this and will infer all legal fees".

The SEO gaming is so hacked into half the time thar you really have to wonder at the algorithms ability. Every single sentence starting with the name of the game and then "players of X" as all the nouns. Insane.

Anyways there is a non zero chance the person who made that was a goon if they knew about the site so we should find them and kill them

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

We should just get in on the action and make the wiki into a site. Produce some videos for youtube that present the tips as a list over game footage.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Fruits of the sea posted:

It sucks because I used to be able to google info, now I have to go the second page of search results before I find anything that's formatted in a remotely readable way and isn't out of date.

On the plus side video game forums and chat servers are more relevant than ever because you can get your answers from a human being (for now).

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

My Lovely Horse posted:

We should just get in on the action and make the wiki into a site. Produce some videos for youtube that present the tips as a list over game footage.

If the Steam community guides are any indication the things to do would be to also take down all the written tips and just have the YouTube video as the only thing on the page.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

Thank you. I definitely wanted to know these simple but useful tips and tricks before I Played the Uplink game. If you have any tips feel free to share with me!

Just to make it easier on the mod who got this report ticket, i am not a bot, i'm just very boring

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Speaking of the wiki entry for Uplink, if someone could unfuck the marked part which seems to refer to a forum post, it'd be great:

quote:

Also you can gain a ridiculous amount of money if you got the speed and the guts to do it. Sometimes you'll get a mission where they want you to hack someone's bank account to find the balance and it'll be a ridiculous amount, over $200M. What you'll need is set up an account in the bank you are going to hack, hack the bank with all the cipher crackers, transfer the money to your account in that same bank. Wipe the records of the transaction on both accounts and then do what Stelas outlined. Basically there are two types of traces: Passive and Active. Active is the countdown that you get when you are hacking. Passive doesn't give any indication that its undergoing. Even if you clear the logs and disconnect before the active trace hits you, IT personnel will follow the switch and router logs and find you. Usually within 24 hours. The bank hack I mentioned before gets a REALLY fast passive trace...measured in seconds. You get about 20 seconds to transfer the money, delete the transaction records and wipe the records at interNIC. Once you do this, you don't need to take a job again, you can dedicate yourself to the plot.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mierenneuker posted:

There's tons of sites that just scrape content from multiple sites and then present it in one page, hoping you don't notice that how cruddy it is being pasted together and how obvious it is that it comes from multiple sources. They hope you land on their site while searching online and then give their ads some impressions.

This is in addition to the countless sites and blogs that write their own stuff (or rewrite it) and are competing for those search results. I'd say it is pointless to waste any energy on both. Just keep doing you, thread.

e;f,b on the first thing

this is getting to notorious levels lately, as for TOTK of the first page of results at least 10 of them will be direct c/p of some original advice just drowned in ads.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Anything for The Invisible Hand? I don't know if anyone else is even playing this weird game, i got it in a humble bundle and it's weirdly compelling. I sort of think I know what I'm doing but also I have no idea and I can't tell how much of that is intentional

I really liked that game too but yeah, it always felt arbitrary even when you're explicitly manipulating the market.

You're pretty much told everything up front. There aren't any secrets or even really strategies that I can tell.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

skooma512 posted:

I really liked that game too but yeah, it always felt arbitrary even when you're explicitly manipulating the market.

You're pretty much told everything up front. There aren't any secrets or even really strategies that I can tell.

Lol good to know then--I guess this is why they tell you to diversify your portfolio, sometimes stocks just die i suppose

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Any tips for I Was a Teenage Exocolonist?

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Random Hajile posted:

Oxygen Not Included:

Bathrooms can use germy water for toilets/wash basins, so you can run it through a sieve and directly back into your bathroom utilities. Additionally, dupes produce more polluted water than bathroom water in, so there will always be an excess. You can then feed this pwater into a reed fiber.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Pierzak posted:

Speaking of the wiki entry for Uplink, if someone could unfuck the marked part which seems to refer to a forum post, it'd be great:

I looked into this and it turns out it referred to the safe hacking method already written out at the top of the page, so I just changed the language in the tip.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

LegoMan posted:

Bathrooms can use germy water for toilets/wash basins, so you can run it through a sieve and directly back into your bathroom utilities. Additionally, dupes produce more polluted water than bathroom water in, so there will always be an excess. You can then feed this pwater into a reed fiber.

At this point there's enough for one entry about ONI and another, larger entry about plumbing.

But yeah, looping bathroom p-water via sieve and building a water-lock are the two things that will get a new player past the early hump.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jun 7, 2023

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

E. Found a better thread for this comment

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jun 7, 2023

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

ahobday posted:

I looked into this and it turns out it referred to the safe hacking method already written out at the top of the page, so I just changed the language in the tip.

Thanks for checking!

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Xander77 posted:

Updated Vampire Survivors a bit. Anything important I'm missing?

https://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Vampire_Survivors

If you see one of those orbs that collects all exp in the level near the beginning of the level, leave it , rush to the first objective on your radar, then double back to it and you'll gain a ton of levels reletively early on. (Maybe there's a better way to word that)

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I half watched a video about Colony Ship and just downloaded the demo, figured I would swing by here since it seemed kind of complicated.

Machado de Assis
Dec 12, 2005

...! posted:

Any tips for I Was a Teenage Exocolonist?

The game is designed around multiple playthroughs, including ingame choices that refer to metaknowledge of the game's plot that only appear once you're on your second and subsequent playthroughs. The plot and worldbuilding is more impactful the less you know going in, but unless you look things up beforehand or are lucky about having the right skills and relationships at the right levels at the right time, bad things will happen in your first playthrough and your first ending is probably going to be a bad one. Therefore, the main thing is to not try and pursue a perfect run in your first playthrough and just go along for the ride.

The random stuff you pick up is useful for helping to beat the tougher card game challenges, but their main use is to raise relationships with your fellow teenage exocolonists. Gifting people stuff they like on the season their birthday is in gives particularly large relationship gains, so it's worth getting into the habit of gifting early and often until you've established what different people like and what their birthdays are, then keep giving the proper birthday gifts as time goes by.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Anything for Ratchet & Clank: Rifts Apart (PS5)?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

PJOmega posted:

There's an item you can get later in the game that will mark the locations of most collectibles if you're dreading the typical game experience of needing to use a game guide for figuring out what you may have missed and then hunting them down.

This is a preference but I used the accessibility options in the game to make the crates and crystals a conspicuous hot pink colour. Makes finding them from afar or just barely peaking out from behind something a lot easier.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

PJOmega posted:

Mainline the story to the point you get rocket skates as they make the entire game and combat arenas twice as fun. Some sidequests open up after story beats, but nothing is missable and there's ng+ that lets you play on harder difficulty and adds another tier of levels to each weapon. If every game was designed like it this thread wouldn't exist, it's intuitive af. You can use the ps help option to figure out any collectible or trophy too, no need to get on your phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

CuddleCryptid posted:

Is anything in the recent remake worth adding to the existing entry?