Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Lol spending half a percent of GDP to buy out a couple of hundred wrecked properties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
And another bunch of money for some roads. Meanwhile teachers and nurses etc get told there's no money for them. https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/politics/government-tips-extra-252m-into-beleaguered-road-programme/S4CAOLK4QVEWHNNDWNR3VHM5KI/

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Saros posted:

Lol spending half a percent of GDP to buy out a couple of hundred wrecked properties.

what do you think should happen

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Why does labour exist again remind me

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

i enjoyed this one

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/300894762/cyclone-gabrielle-buyout-plan-esk-valley-locals-want-more-answers posted:

A man who has lived in Esk Valley his whole life feels his family may be ‘financially blackmailed’ to leave their home.

my favorite kind of blackmail is when the government gives you hundreds of thousands of dollars

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

In fairness, a few hundred thousand ain't gonna do much in this loving market.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Buy the dip

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Pretty sure Wayne Brown's got enough kickbacks as it is

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

WarpedNaba posted:

Pretty sure Wayne Brown's got enough kickbacks as it is

Someone buy him an account so we can see the meltdown when, as it seems likely, his bullshit budget doesn't get approved by a majority

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Actually, in slightly more altruistic news, the Epsom blood donation centre's looking for Plasma volunteers to help validate this new machine they've cobbled together for next week

If I stop posting after a week, chances are it had a problem with giving embolisms during the replenish cycle.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

exmarx posted:

what do you think should happen

I honestly am not across the detail but it is a staggeringly large amount of money to give to a few hundred households who are generally going to be already fairly well off and have insurance. Largely so we can just kick the can on managed retreat past the election.

1 billion dollars could for example feed and clothe every one of the 150,000 children in poverty in NZ for 3-5 years.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Oh cool, I should pop over now that my blood is cleared again.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Saros posted:

who are generally going to be already fairly well off

Source?

Saros posted:

have insurance

Doesn't cover the now uninhabitable land.

Saros posted:

Largely so we can just kick the can on managed retreat past the election.

Isn't this a part of managed retreat?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Saros posted:

I honestly am not across the detail but it is a staggeringly large amount of money to give to a few hundred households who are generally going to be already fairly well off and have insurance. Largely so we can just kick the can on managed retreat past the election.

category 3 is literally managed retreat, and i suspect category 2 will be even more expensive. a big part of the issue in hawke's bay and tairāwhiti (and the rest of the country) is lack of insurance!

exmarx fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jun 2, 2023

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Slavvy posted:

pressure release valve

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

Actually, in slightly more altruistic news, the Epsom blood donation centre's looking for Plasma volunteers to help validate this new machine they've cobbled together for next week

If I stop posting after a week, chances are it had a problem with giving embolisms during the replenish cycle.

I donated today and one of the nurses calmly watched an air bubble travel back up from the machine towards my arm. "Don't worry, the machine takes care of it" she said.

I'm still here so I guess it did, but hosed if I know how.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Well, it's not like I have anything worth living for anyway.

And on the plus side, it's close enough to Greenlane that my organs will still be fresh.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/491237/christopher-luxon-proves-to-be-a-traffic-stopper-in-new-plymouth
Lol at this entire article

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

I heard about that on RNZ on the way home today. They noted that most of the audience were maybe 60+ and interviewed the youngest person they could find there. What did that guy want? First thing out of his mouth was 'an end to co-governance', then he started talking about how what schools teach today disgust him (his words). Only guy younger than 60 they could find and he's a loving internet Nazi. Don't know if the interviewer pushed back at all, I turned the radio off after that.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

If it is any indication of what his election PR tour is going to be like he is screwed. The regressives were out in big numbers and practically nobody else. As the leader of a centrist party he couldn't even use doublespeak to meet them halfway.

Luxon pointed out that the average age is 38 feeling old many of whom grew up with some exposure to Te Reo. I think this shows that there is real demographic on the right that is not being catered to, imagine how Peters would have handled this crowd.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Winnie is the best politician this country has ever seen, he would have owned that crowd

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

lmao the amount of brainworms that must be in the room that rnz only managed to include one non-culture-war question, and that's just "yes we'll keep doing fossil fuels"

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004
Looking forward to the incoming hot takes on Damehood.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Spyderizer posted:

Looking forward to the incoming hot takes on Damehood.

Jacindame

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Slavvy posted:

So you can Vote and feel good about yourself

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The cowardly NZEI have accepted the government's latest offer, while the chad PPTA have rejected.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
Why are they different unions?!?

Stink buzz, my kids teacher was saying they are so stretched and need smaller classes or more teacher aids so bad. A teacher's life must be teaching 24/7, just about. She works all night it seems like

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Relative to past offers that the unions have settled on its very generous. Slightly smaller class sizes, enough classroom release time for a half day every week (from two->five days per term), 10%ish or more pay increase over the next two years, eliminating the bottom step on the pay scale so beginning teachers earn $60k+ now. All good poo poo, but there's just this deep acknowledgement that the sector needs so much more even just to stay afloat.

I don't know why the unions are separate, I'm sure there are historic reasons. NZEI represents primary teachers, support staff (including at secondary schools) and ECE. PPTA is just teachers and some support staff. School caretakers can't join either union for whatever dumb reason.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

It is one thing for the agreement to promise smaller class sizes. But can they actually deliver on it? The big issue the PPTA is worried about is recruitment and retention. At the moment there just aren’t enough people going in to teaching as a career and many who had are leaving fairly early. They want a big pay increase to make it an attractive career to allow them to recruit to have smaller classes and more release time etc.
Also a teacher’s life isn’t jus teaching teaching teaching. There is so much other stuff they are having to do. The time in and preparing for the classroom is maybe half their job.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Imagine being a teen in 2023 and deciding to go into education as a career, what a completely broken individual.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Xik posted:

Imagine being a teen in 2023 and deciding to go into education as a career, what a completely broken individual.

This but the cops

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Xik posted:

Imagine being a teen in 2023

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

Xik posted:

This is why pushing STEM is bad, start funding arts degrees again. Many of my friends who graduated with theatre degrees and crushed dreams became teachers.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
whoops, our important system that takes years to increase the number of qualified workers is falling apart due to chronic underinvestment for decades, and no one wants to start the long and expensive qualification needed to enter the field because they're not loving stupid

oh well, nothing to be done. the only thing we can do now is privatize the whole thing

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

how much does it cost to get qualified as a teacher?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Isn't it a one year course on top of any degree?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I remember seeing which way the wind was blowing back when I was 16, decided to go into accounting rather than the arts so I would at least have enough time and money to work on my voice acting hobby

Then the great recession hit just as I graduated uni. Too clever by half, it seems.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lol he is not human

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
*filthy poors have more babies*

no not like that