Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Play posted:

I feel like some memetic truism needs to make the rounds. Because peace without freedom means gently caress ALL. It's 'peaceful' slavery. It's 'peaceful' oppression. It's 'peaceful' violence, when it comes down to it.

A pivotal point of Letter from Birmingham Jail is the difference between the positive peace of justice and the negative peace of absence of struggle. Unfortunately, most of the people who quote that letter just solve for X="libs are the real racists" and move on without thinking about it. I've seldom even seen it applied to the non-American cases where they take anti-imperialist stances like Palestine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Great news for Ukraine:

https://twitter.com/jimcramer/status/1665111628981977091

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Play posted:

I will always respect Snowden for his whistle blowing. And honestly, I don't disagree with the sentiment here taken at face value.

But man, he might have a higher level of self regard than anyone outside of Donald Trump. Man just LOVES himself some Edward Snowden. Lol at that profile picture of his and double lol at his insane levels of perceived self importance.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
The True HOOHA could make a good username.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat

This man is diseased

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1665580385533583361
Ah yes, Gerasimov was present on the front lines with a saber and a horse too

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Gerasimov was watching the ukrainians get slaughtered by the superior Russians while eating a tea and borscht lunch on a perfect overlook.

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

Elukka posted:

It's worth noting they're a minority though, one that appears to be completely irrelevant now. It was an SDP-led government with the Left Alliance in it that unanimously (on a party level) brought us into NATO after all.

On a party level, yes, but especially the Left Alliance only by a slim majority and after much wrangling. And all the pro-Putin scumbags were still on the party ticket in the election (although most were not re-elected).

As I stated before, I've lost all respect.

beer_war posted:

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1665468627116539905?s=20

I get that Prigozhin talks a lot of poo poo about the regular Russian army, but him detaining a brigade commander is, uh, quite something.

I bet Ukraine is now considering if just keeping the pressure on is better than an offensive.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

"Putin is a real piece of poo poo"

-Ghandi

"Putin? I piss in his milk."

-Mother Theresa

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Oldsmobile posted:

I bet Ukraine is now considering if just keeping the pressure on is better than an offensive.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Oldsmobile posted:

Yeah, if Russia isn't getting the time to meaningfully consolidate and the West is willing to sustain Ukraine in the interim, why not keep up a pattern of harassment and limited offensive until more and more advanced hardware arrives? If Ukraine knows it's got a maneuver division coming online every month while the Russians are so dysfunctional they're taking one another hostage, they'd might as well take all the time they need to prepare.

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

I gotta say, I like Ukraine's outside the box thinking here. The border raids are brilliant, I kinda hope they escalate that. And even though it's obviously supported by Ukraine, I think it's not meaningless that the beligerents are real Russians.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1665580385533583361
Ah yes, Gerasimov was present on the front lines with a saber and a horse too

The BBC reported it, so it must be true. :ughh:

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Russian Ministry of Defence reporting today that Ukraine attacked a secret underground Russian moon base with over one hundred million cyberwarriors. Every single Ukrainian attacker was killed, over fifty thousand Soulflayer Mechs were destroyed, and the local Moon People have just passed a referendum with 121.7% Yes votes to join the Russian Federation and voluntarily donated all their washing machines to the defence effort as thanks

As proof, they're broadcasting a pixellated photo of a duck with a shutterstock watermark

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

From what a friend who served over there has told me, they may agree more than you think. Especially the family of (cw) the 12 year old girl someone in his company raped and murdered.

Not saying tankies aren't dopes, but there was a lot of lovely occupier-type behavior over there.
Not much more though. There was probably more lovely occupier-type behavior before nato got there.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

mobby_6kl posted:

Not much more though. There was probably more lovely occupier-type behavior before nato got there.

They don't understand what's good for them

It's our burden to educate these folks to the point of responsibility

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

mobby_6kl posted:

Wanna link a source with the next screenshot? Or at least say what the source is.. if it isn't your paint.net

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

SirTagz posted:

Wanna link a source with the next screenshot? Or at least say what the source is.. if it isn't your paint.net

It is paint because I had to screenshot it myself from a pdf.

NDI conducted the public opinion research between April 27 and May 6, 2021, with a national representative sample of 1,714 respondents aged 18 and over. The poll carries a margin of error of +/- 2.27 percentage points, with a 95 percent confidence level. UBO conducted the field research.
https://www.ndi.org/publications/ndi-kosovo-public-opinion-poll-april-2021

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

mobby_6kl posted:

It is paint because I had to screenshot it myself from a pdf.

NDI conducted the public opinion research between April 27 and May 6, 2021, with a national representative sample of 1,714 respondents aged 18 and over. The poll carries a margin of error of +/- 2.27 percentage points, with a 95 percent confidence level. UBO conducted the field research.
https://www.ndi.org/publications/ndi-kosovo-public-opinion-poll-april-2021

Thanks!

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

StrangersInTheNight posted:

its almost like communist theory from when the USSR existed is no longer applicable to loving Russia in 2023

but Putin has the benefit of coming after Boris Yeltsin, universally reviled by leftists for enthusiastically aligning Russia with Western interests. All Putin had to do is appear anti-West to win such folks back.

Considering Yeltsin was responsible for the clusterfuck that came after Gorbachev, creating the oligarchs and mass corruption and promoting Putin to positions of power, “aligning Russian with Western Interests” is hardly the reason why he is hated

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

https://twitter.com/francisjfarrell/status/1665611970207182848?s=20

This makes a lot of sense.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

madeintaipei posted:

The Gulag Archipelago is one of the angriest books I've ever read. I'd feel content to be left on a desert island with only that to read. Shame Solzhenitsyn went/was loving nuts. He wrote two of my favorite books. I even named a child after him.
the book has widespread appeal, to be sure.

quote:

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin welcomed on Tuesday the publication of a school version of Soviet-era dissident Alexander Solzhenitsyn’s “The Gulag Archipelago,” calling it essential reading.

Solzhenitsyn’s monumental chronicle of suffering in the Gulag labor camps under Soviet dictator Josef Stalin was banned in the Soviet Union after its 1973 publication in the West.

“This book is much-needed,” state television showed Putin telling Solzhenitsyn’s widow Natalya, in unusual remarks for the former KGB officer who has credited Stalin with turning the Soviet Union into an industrial powerhouse.

Natalya, who was widowed two years ago, has created an abridged version for Russian school children which is a quarter the length of the multi-tomed original. State media said it would be mandatory to teach it to 16 and 17 year-olds.

“Without knowing what is laid out here, we will not have a full understanding of our country and we will have difficulty thinking about the future,” Putin told Natalya.

Natalya, with grey hair and black clothes, said an initial 10,000 copies have been made for schools and libraries.

Russian rights campaigners have been alarmed by what they see as an attempt by some officials -- especially during Putin’s years as president from 2000-08 -- to play down Stalinist atrocities by focusing on his achievements.

Last year activists and Western diplomats condemned a new school textbook compiled with the help of an historian from Putin’s ruling United Russia party, which mentions the repressions under Stalin but also depicts him as a good manager.

Like many Russians, Putin has said Stalin deserves praise for his victory in World War Two, but has criticized his vast purges of opponents. Russian President Dmitry Medvedev has condemned Stalin’s rule.
can anyone confirm its presence on the Russian curriculum?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

mawarannahr posted:

the book has widespread appeal, to be sure.

can anyone confirm its presence on the Russian curriculum?

We had One Day of Ivan Denisovitch in high school program way back in 2006, Gulag Archipelago was in recommended reading, mostly due to being a huge book (good luck encouraging high schoolers to read a 700 pager after Tolstoy and Dostoevsky brick novels).

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

fatherboxx posted:

We had One Day of Ivan Denisovitch in high school program way back in 2006, Gulag Archipelago was in recommended reading, mostly due to being a huge book (good luck encouraging high schoolers to read a 700 pager after Tolstoy and Dostoevsky brick novels).

thank you. i have the impression not everything state media says will happen actually does happen.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Seems like this was also before 2014 and they went much more nationalistic and rehabilitating Stalin since then so things could've changed since then

quote:

Latvia has provided Ukraine with 66 cars confiscated from drunk drivers free of charge, the Latvian State Pawn Agency reported.

The Latvian police stated that 17 drunk drivers were detained during just the last day.

Four administrative cases and 13 criminal proceedings were instituted for driving while intoxicated. In five cases, the vehicles of the drivers are to be confiscated, and eight drivers will be charged the value of the vehicles.

This is not the first such decision of the Latvian government. At the beginning of March, it also decided to send eight cars to Ukraine free of charge. In April, more confiscated cars were sent to the settlement of Pobuzke in Kirovohrad Oblast and the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Ukraine.
https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2023/06/4/7405283/

Not the first batch I think and a really good idea imo to do everywhere

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane

mobby_6kl posted:

Seems like this was also before 2014 and they went much more nationalistic and rehabilitating Stalin since then so things could've changed since then

I dunno. Seems like a very simple commodity to simply disappear for cash. I'm not convinced that ukraine has cleaned up corruption enough to genuinely receive these and put them to good use.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

BrassRoots posted:

I dunno. Seems like a very simple commodity to simply disappear for cash. I'm not convinced that ukraine has cleaned up corruption enough to genuinely receive these and put them to good use.

Yes the asset value of these used cars is very concerning indeed, especially compared to a MiG fighter jet or Leopard tank.

The illicit money will probably even be used to fund Mexican cartels!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Icept posted:

Yes the asset value of these used cars is very concerning indeed, especially compared to a MiG fighter jet or Leopard tank.

The illicit money will probably even be used to fund Mexican cartels!

Latvia donated some VW Golfs and I've seen some Golfs driving around in Germany, must those Ukrainians reselling them on the used market :thunk:

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Icept posted:

Yes the asset value of these used cars is very concerning indeed, especially compared to a MiG fighter jet

It's not as good a deal as you might think, it's only €1 less per car than Poland paid Germany for their MiG-29s

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

mobby_6kl posted:

Too much like police property seizure for me to think it sounds good, rear end in a top hat drunk drivers notwithstanding.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.

Toxic Mental posted:

Wagner clearly instills a mindset they're the "real" military. Very US Marines-like.

This is a Hollywood view of US Marines. They are an insular culture but they do play well with others as long as they get to kill.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Wrap it up, Ukrainailures, it's all over.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

beer_war posted:

So the Ukrainian offensive has taken Moscow, got it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Samovar posted:

Too much like police property seizure for me to think it sounds good, rear end in a top hat drunk drivers notwithstanding.

These machines will now be used to kill fascists instead or innocent pedestrians it's a good trade-off imo

beer_war posted:

As we all know, russia completely succeeded in taking Bakhmut on the first day

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Samovar posted:

I see no problem here. The problem in the US is the police seizing assets on the suspicion of criminal activity, where the owner has to prove his innocence in a blatant perversion of justice to get it back. Seizing a car as punishment after someone has been convicted of drunk driving is fine by me.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Naturally, the tankies will discount the report, seeing as it comes from the BBC.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

mobby_6kl posted:

Latvia has a state pawn agency? Are they like the Florida of Europe?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1665674784040972288
thanks for playing, losers.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

beer_war posted:

Ahhh, so Russia got their asses kicked and Ukraine broke through?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

beer_war posted:

Russian MOD says Putin successfully thwarted a major poo poo deluge in his pants, pants completely dry