Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Arsonide posted:

When demons die, they respawn in the Black Abyss. When angels die, they die, but their essence returns to the crystal arch to form new angels. These would not be the same angels, they'd be new ones. So there's the potential to add new characters here.

I had no idea, thank you. That's very interesting. They're definitely going to need some new angels to take on Mephisto and the rest of the Prime Evils.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Still leveling but does it seem like soloing some dungeon bosses is impossible? On WT2 as a Rogue

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

Do you have to collect the aspects again every season?

I think you do, pretty sure. The only thing you dont have to repeat is the campaign. I think this is going to be a problem for a lot of people. The end game grind is kinda really intense and takes a lot of work and following meta builds. Unless seasons have significantly large experience and loot drop rates, they will be a hard sell.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Can somebody explain how attributes on inactive weapons work?

If I'm using a bow and have a sword with a bunch of stats, are the sword stats applied to the bow or do I have to use the sword? I notice that aspects apply, but am not sure for other stuff like regen, life steal, etc

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jun 5, 2023

Caros
May 14, 2008

Arsonide posted:

A few annoyances I had with the story:

A: Side characters being killed or horrifically maimed by trivial things for the sake of the plot. Neyrelle loses an arm to a trash mob for no reason. Donan literally runs into a piece of environmental geometry and it kills him. No rhyme or reason. This dude took down Astaroth back in the day and some random tortured soul in hell, stuck in a wall, one shots him with a scratch? Lame.

B: Nobody seems to mind that Neyrelle hosed off with a Prime Evil in her back pocket. Should we go chase her? No she has made her decision, it's in her hands now. WHAT? The Horadrim were literally formed to safeguard the world against bullshit like this happening, and you're just going to leave this to chance?

I mean, none of them appear to be working with a full deck.

Like, I get there is some ludonarritive issues but Soulstones? Really?! That is your solution? You're going to use those things we destroyed in diablo 2 after it became extremely clear that the prime evils used them as a conduit into sanctuary?

You are using the *same stone* that failed to contain Astaroth for a single human lifetime. That is your plan? Kick the can down the road a few weeks?

Meanwhile at some point after dragging Andariel it really feels like doing that to Lilith that should have become plan A. How did Diablo et all lose the last three times? A single adventurer kicked the poo poo out of them. How does this end? A single adventurer kicks the poo poo out of her.

Pattern recognition is not their strong suit.

Caros fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jun 5, 2023

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I said come in! posted:

I think you do, pretty sure. The only thing you dont have to repeat is the campaign. I think this is going to be a problem for a lot of people. The end game grind is kinda really intense and takes a lot of work and following meta builds. Unless seasons have significantly large experience and loot drop rates, they will be a hard sell.

If you're following a specific build you can just do the five or six (at most) dungeons you need and ignore the others you know.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

coelomate posted:

I've heard people say extract and save.

Codex ones always roll minimum, only dropped items can actually exist within the range (I was surprised to find you can find codex powers on dropped items at all!).

I was confused earlier because I got an item that was something like "Ice Shard pierces 9 times, doing 11% less damage for each enemy hit" and there's a Codex aspect that's something like "Ice Shard pierces 3 times doing 25% less with each hit" which just seems dramatically worse. I wasn't sure if they were even the same, since I thought only the "X% less on each hit" number would change. But when I tried putting the Codex one on an amulet, it was grayed out (and also had completely different numbers than listed in the Codex for some reason?), so apparently they are the same.

Probably going to hold off on engaging much with that stuff until I'm higher level (36 now). I'm not exactly drowning in legendaries or those crystals you need for affixing yellows.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

If you're following a specific build you can just do the five or six (at most) dungeons you need and ignore the others you know.

Youll probably want to do all of the dungeons you can as they give you renown.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
Just saw that you can split farm dungeon aspects for the codex aspects and the renown for completing the dungeon. Dropping to WT1 to make it go even faster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tHhHKsCHts

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
This is a major spoiler, so don't read unless you've finished the story campaign. How Donan dies is this games equivalent to how Deckard Cain dies to a lame butterfly demon. Like seriously, he makes it all this way through hell and steps too close to a column and gets poked by a wall demon. Why do they do poo poo like this, kill characters in the lamest way possible.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

mst4k posted:

Sanctuary would be a terrible place to happen to live drat

I respect the drunks though hell yah

The map is shaped like michigan. Take that however you want to.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
Got through Act 2's story and felt no pity for anybody involved. How many decades have these dumbass Horadrim had to deal with their soulstones instead of letting them fester? Whoever that wolf is they've got it right in that the existing methods are doomed to fail. I hope this turns out to be a theme and not just lazy writers recycling the plot to the previous games.

odinson posted:

Just saw that you can split farm dungeon aspects for the codex aspects and the renown for completing the dungeon. Dropping to WT1 to make it go even faster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tHhHKsCHts

There's no way this is intended :laffo:

Swilo fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jun 5, 2023

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
finished the campaign. wtf, when did a blizzard game last have a campaign this good? frozen throne?

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021
Another plot hole (I think) at the end of story - which I liked, fwiw: They're discussing where Neyrelle went and are like "Oh, well. She's gone and there's no way to find her *shrug*". Did they turn the all-seeing eye into a fruit bowl or something?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Arsonide posted:

A: Side characters being killed or horrifically maimed by trivial things for the sake of the plot. Neyrelle loses an arm to a trash mob for no reason. Donan literally runs into a piece of environmental geometry and it kills him. No rhyme or reason. This dude took down Astaroth back in the day and some random tortured soul in hell, stuck in a wall, one shots him with a scratch? Lame.

katkillad2 posted:

This is a major spoiler, so don't read unless you've finished the story campaign. How Donan dies is this games equivalent to how Deckard Cain dies to a lame butterfly demon. Like seriously, he makes it all this way through hell and steps too close to a column and gets poked by a wall demon. Why do they do poo poo like this, kill characters in the lamest way possible.
The implication I got in the cinematic re: Donan was that he thought that could be his son in there.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Arsonide posted:

B: Nobody seems to mind that Neyrelle hosed off with a Prime Evil in her back pocket. Should we go chase her? No she has made her decision, it's in her hands now. WHAT? The Horadrim were literally formed to safeguard the world against bullshit like this happening, and you're just going to leave this to chance?

On A, I agree completely. When Meshiff dies off screen to a random stab it made me disappointed. Funny enough, when Nayrelle was like "I'm gonna open the door from the other side!" I said out loud "girl you gotta stop doing that" before she screamed. When the result was her arm getting cut off I was like "I TOLD YOU!"

On B, I could see it being like a "the Horadrim oddly trust each other implicitly" kind of thing, so Lorath just trusts that she's studied enough to try to figure out what to do next with the soulstone. My assumption is she's heading back to Tristram where she'll find Tyrael. I can't think of any other interesting way to take it.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Also regarding future expansion stuff, I found the old and busted bridge to Kurast SSW of Zarbinzet earlier tonight while getting 100% on Lilith altars.

stringless fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jun 5, 2023

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

If it wasnt for characters mentioning deckard cain and tristam sorta showing up i got prequel vibes from the story

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Jakosa posted:

Another plot hole (I think) at the end of story - which I liked, fwiw: They're discussing where Neyrelle went and are like "Oh, well. She's gone and there's no way to find her *shrug*". Did they turn the all-seeing eye into a fruit bowl or something?

It got broken op

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

gently caress all this other poo poo what's the waypoint with the closest salvager, enchanter & vendors. I think its cerrigar

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Kyovashad probably. The one in Kehjistan is definitely the worst for the platform the waypoint is on. Plus I think it's the one you have to climb a wall to get to the enchanter?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Pretty disappointed they didn't do the classic Diablo thing of giving you a really neat and tidy hub at the end so you wouldn't have to deal with the lovely maze towns. Now I have to memorize 5 lovely town layouts because the town portal takes you to the closest and there's no favoriting system.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Once you've picked a favorite you can just choose to portal there with the map, you'll still get a portal to go back. Granted, it's extra steps.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Me and the frugal boys getting ready to absolutely ruin your login queues tonight.

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember
So I unlocked WT3 and was slogging through the first dungeon. I got an item level 700 weapon and it literally added 50% to my attack power. I also discovered there is a huge power spike at item power 725 that nearly added the same bonus to attack power again. I’ve not seen another item power 700 drop since then, but it seems worth watching out for.

Ytlaya posted:

I was confused earlier because I got an item that was something like "Ice Shard pierces 9 times, doing 11% less damage for each enemy hit" and there's a Codex aspect that's something like "Ice Shard pierces 3 times doing 25% less with each hit" which just seems dramatically worse. I wasn't sure if they were even the same, since I thought only the "X% less on each hit" number would change. But when I tried putting the Codex one on an amulet, it was grayed out (and also had completely different numbers than listed in the Codex for some reason?), so apparently they are the same.

Probably going to hold off on engaging much with that stuff until I'm higher level (36 now). I'm not exactly drowning in legendaries or those crystals you need for affixing yellows.

Ok the codex does an absolute poo poo job of explaining how this stuff works. The first thing to know is item slots affect legendary effects in two important ways.

First, each effect has a type (they are organized by this in the codex), and each slot can only take certain types.

Second, amulets, and 2H weapons get a 50% and 100% bonus respectively to legendary numbers. There’s a necro legendary that gives 2 max skeletons. On an amulet it becomes 3, and on a 2H weapon it becomes 4. This applies to the frost shards effect you posted: the number of pierces goes up and the damage reduction each time goes down.

Both these pieces of information are displayed when you extract a legendary from an item, but are completely missing from the codex.

Hashy posted:

gently caress all this other poo poo what's the waypoint with the closest salvager, enchanter & vendors. I think its cerrigar

Tree of whispers owns for emptying your inventory fast between dungeons.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
Feeling like I'm just really bad at this game. I'm seeing people say they did the capstone dungeon like 10+ levels under-levelled I can't do it at level 48. I don't know if somehow I've completely hosed up my build, or my gear, or what. I'm a hammer of the ancients barb fwiw.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Hashy posted:

I go to the Tree of Whispers for quick inventory dumping because it's only a Stash, Blacksmith, and Vendor all next to the waypoint. Pick your favorite major hub for an enchanter and it's probably still saving you a lot of running around time. Wish I could set my default town portal there or have the ability to set specific waypoints to the quick wheel.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Lol I am seeing so many people with the $28 spiky Necromancer armor. Blizzard is going to very quickly realize that the vast majority of people don't give a poo poo about "grounded/realistic fashion" and just want cool looking poo poo. Nobody is going to buy any of the generic looking cash shop sets.

Good. Give me the flashy stuff :getin:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Trig Discipline posted:

I started off doing mostly this build:

https://maxroll.gg/d4/build-guides/blood-surge-necromancer-leveling-guide

But instead of decrepify I'm keeping my skellies around. The tendrils/blood surge/corpse explosion combo is crazy powerful. I'm level 44 right now and I basically just wander into the middle of a mob, destroy everyone in a few seconds, and then loot.

This build is far less satisfactory at taking out bosses, particularly when it's not one that generates a ton of corpses. I'm currently stuck on Unzu the Demon Commander and he is beating my rear end. I'm going to skive off from hell on earth for a bit and do some leveling to see if that helps. If not I may need a respec.

And now after a couple more hours I'm ditching the skellies and going the decrepify route. Decrepify really ups the damage of corpse explosion and blood surge, which they 100% need at this point in the game.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
I just saw the cinematic in Act VI (no spoilers, just my reaction)

It's been a long time where I've gone "wow" in a positive way, but holy gently caress, just loving wow

Blizzard cinematic team, that was loving amazing

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

Lol I am seeing so many people with the $28 spiky Necromancer armor. Blizzard is going to very quickly realize that the vast majority of people don't give a poo poo about "grounded/realistic fashion" and just want cool looking poo poo. Nobody is going to buy any of the generic looking cash shop sets.

Good. Give me the flashy stuff :getin:
You'd think WoW would have taught them that lesson already :shrug:

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
When do baleful fragments start dropping from salvaged legendaries? I haven't been able to imprint a codex aspect since like level 40 because I need 4 of them and have never seen one.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
My current thoughts is i am very much enjoying the game, i don't know if it'll have the longevity for me though. Running a lucky hit/stun damage chain lightning/lightning spear build, clear speed is very fast on T1 so far even with some of my gear being underleveled thru stacking +stun damage and the average pack fight is spitting out a lightning spear which ends up stunning everything and then just killing them before they get unstunned using my something like +120% stun/cc damage. The build's only real weakness so far is it's not as fast on boss kills, but with the +4 mana on chain lightning bounce, +mana on orb pickups, and +15% or so chance to trigger an unstable currents cast they tend to still die pretty quick. I save burning unstable currents on bosses for the first posture break. Lucky hit is more valuable overall than +crit chance since the lightning passives ramp crit rate up fast enough that you don't need oodles of it to reliably crit stun. I think many of the lightning skills are not super great. Charged bolts, for example, feels pretty bad. It works as an enchant with a stun build since a 40% chance to release bolts on stun is pretty solid when you're stunning everything. The basic lightning skills are both solid. Lash is good but i swapped to the other skill for the constant +8% crit buildup on it, and a large quantity of small hits is pretty good with a lucky hit build especially when you have a chance to just execute injured non-elites, spawn orbs, etc.

ball lightning felt horribly bad, and between the two final lightning passives, the -cooldown one feels far worse compared to the +damage/-damage of its competition. I tried out both, and even with a build that is reliably always spitting out lightning tendrils, i did not notice the cooldown effect much. I could see it being better with some of the paragon stuff though, so it may have more of a place in endgame builds since you could potentially get far more uptime on unstable currents

Relating to the obol chest keys, they don't feel worth it, but i feel bad if i don't open every chest, so naturally i keep like a 5 stack of keys on me at all time. Gambling seems to have a more reliable legendary item payoff . The chests aren't terribly uncommon, you probably passed a bunch of them without realizing it since they can be, frankly, very sneaky in some areas hiding almost inside the environment. They're very easy to spot in Act 1, which probably leads you to think that they are all big chests with a padlock & chains sitting on a cliff edge.

Sloober fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jun 5, 2023

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

putin is a oval office posted:

Feeling like I'm just really bad at this game. I'm seeing people say they did the capstone dungeon like 10+ levels under-levelled I can't do it at level 48. I don't know if somehow I've completely hosed up my build, or my gear, or what. I'm a hammer of the ancients barb fwiw.

Kinda how I feel, except only level 35 and on world tier 1 lol. If I can run into a big fight with full Spirit I can spam Lightning Storm, Petrify and kill a bunch of mobs to refill my Spirit bar and keep spamming LS, I'm good. But if things survive that double burst of 2 full bars of LS then I'm screwed. Having to generate Spirit feels like being loving punished and that's stupid. There are approximately zero cool Aspects to be found in Dungeons for non-Shapeshifting druids, but Shapeshift felt awful in the beta so I didn't want to try it again live.

I dunno, like combat is just slow, I've yet to find anything vaguely close to a cool item, world scaling & events and poo poo don't add anything to the game, cellars are still comically a waste of time, Dungeons are fine I guess.

Music is good, general mood/atmosphere is there, but it's really just not doing much for me. I haven't felt "Oh man I need to play more" at all since buying.

It's a shame the business side mandates their games must make a bajillion dollars because I feel like there is potentially a good game underneath all the bad things the devs are forced to build.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jun 5, 2023

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Kaddish posted:

When do baleful fragments start dropping from salvaged legendaries? I haven't been able to imprint a codex aspect since like level 40 because I need 4 of them and have never seen one.

The 3 different legendary materials are based on the slot type of the item you salvaged. One from weapons, one from armor, one from jewelry. The mouseover tooltip will help you determine which is which.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
I also hated shapeshifting in the beta but pulverize is great and feels very powerful, I just ran into the butcher and it was very easy

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Sab669 posted:

There are approximately zero cool Aspects to be found in Dungeons for non-Shapeshifting druids, but Shapeshift felt awful in the beta so I didn't want to try it again live.

Speaking of, is there any good gear/aspects for a storm druid? I went all in with lightning because zapping things is cool but I am level 37 and have found only a few legendaries, and they were all intended for shape shifting or earth skills. The dungeon aspects seem to have nothing related to storm or lightning for druids. Feels like I just have to put more points into passives at this stage and that makes for some kinda weak sense of progression...

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

TorakFade posted:

Speaking of, is there any good gear/aspects for a storm druid? I went all in with lightning because zapping things is cool but I am level 37 and have found only a few legendaries, and they were all intended for shape shifting or earth skills. The dungeon aspects seem to have nothing related to storm or lightning for druids. Feels like I just have to put more points into passives at this stage and that makes for some kinda weak sense of progression...

I'm doing a tornado build (not a lightning one) but some of the cool stuff I've found makes the Earthen Might keystone passive apply to storm skills as well. And then I went all in on buffing crit damage and if I get lucky (or just hit someone enough) my tornadoes do guaranteed crits for a few seconds and they loving rip through poo poo.

I can't really say I share a lot of the complaints about the game that some people are having - while it was nice to totally turn your brain off in Diablo 3, I do like having to prioritize specific secondary stats to make my numbers higher, the scaling is probably the best implemented of those types of systems I've seen in a video game, and while I think the skill tree could use some more interesting skills, when you find a synergy that works it feels really nice. I love the potion system, especially the way it works with bosses, and it generally feels much more exciting to play than Diablo 3.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Not a fan of how much busy work the game has. You have to rep grind, you have to find 160 statues around the world, if you want to roll gear you have to wait for a helltide to spawn go and grind on normal mobs and click all of the clickables, and maybe find a mini-boss.

Why is sacred gear a thing? It completely invalidates all non-sacred items that drop. I played all day Sunday and didn't get a single upgrade - which is nuts for day 3 in an ARPG. Sure I had better rolled legendary aspects drop, but I didn't get any better rolled sacred drops to put them on, and helltides are extremely restrictive at stopping you from rolling stats on gear - on top of the 10x gold cost rolling a second time. When I get to world tier 4, everything below Ancestral becomes useless?

Ancient Legendaries and then Primal Ancient Legendaries were such a big mistake in D3 and contributed so much to the inflated numbers, so its odd to see them launch with that system in place.

All I want to do is push nightmare dungeons, but the game saddles you with so much boring busy work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I requested clan access with the character name woka!