Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Is everyone forgetting CM Punk and the Girl On The Third Floor?

What do these knuckles say?

Yeah wedo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Lamuella posted:

Going to put in a word for Brian Glover, who went from classic era World Of Sport as Leon Arras to a thirty year career in British film and TV which started with Kes and went through Alien 3 and American Werewolf in London.

Good evening Mr Rottweiler.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

harperdc posted:

Shout out to Roddy Piper for They Live

I like the story Keith David helped out Roddy with his acting and Roddy helped out David with his stage fighting.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

iirc David had a lot of nice things to say about how safely Roddy treated him in the fight scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mm4mLsCAyI

Roddy was a really good worker, folks

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I’d prefer to, yeah

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Did she kick his rear end in MMA too?

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

is that good? i loved a wounded fawn

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

A Wounded Fawn is much better and more interesting than The Girl On The Third Floor which was pretty mid

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

drat. I'll try jakob's wife instead.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Which Wrestlemania was it where Jimmy Snuka shows up at the entrance and they spend a few minutes on it literally in the middle of a match between two other people?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Venomous posted:

iirc David had a lot of nice things to say about how safely Roddy treated him in the fight scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mm4mLsCAyI

Roddy was a really good worker, folks

More wrestlers should transition to stunt coordinators and fight choreographers.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Which Wrestlemania was it where Jimmy Snuka shows up at the entrance and they spend a few minutes on it literally in the middle of a match between two other people?

Wrestlemania 5, where he provides the only interesting content in a match between Ronnie Garvin and Dino Bravo.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Fair, thank you

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Shard posted:

More wrestlers should transition to stunt coordinators and fight choreographers.

I was watching some behind the scenes thing with the fight guy on a Rock movie and he was talking about how great working with him was because he could just go through the whole the whole scene and not need to worry about breaking it down move by move or rehearsing it a billion times like he had to with most actors. Rock was like "if I can do 30 minutes live at WM, I'd better be able to do a 2 minute fight scene".

Isn't Road Agent just fight coordinator for guys that don't/can't call a match in the ring?

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

Wasn't Christopher Daniels' day job for several years one of the stunt shows at Universal Studios?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Saucer Crab posted:

Wasn't Christopher Daniels' day job for several years one of the stunt shows at Universal Studios?

He was the villain in the waterworld show at some point yeah

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

I didn't like it. Not that it's particularly CM Punk's fault. He's acting by himself for 3/4s of the movie which seems pretty hard.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

History Comes Inside! posted:

He was the villain in the waterworld show at some point yeah

I like the implication that he'd finish up the Thursday evening show, head to the changing room, put his wrestling gear on and head down to the other side of the park to do TNA.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I didn't like it. Not that it's particularly CM Punk's fault. He's acting by himself for 3/4s of the movie which seems pretty hard.

drat, so unlikeable Stevens had to rebook a whole movie to keep other actors away from him

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

The main problem with the movie is that it sucks and that has little to do with any of the casting.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So how popular was Vampiro in Mexico at his peak? And is his rep for being kind of a pain well earned?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dawgstar posted:

So how popular was Vampiro in Mexico at his peak? And is his rep for being kind of a pain well earned?

He was a huge star, not quite the crossover star Konnan was but still very big. And he's a huge pain in the rear end and basically a Hogan level liar.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

there's a really interesting doc on Vampiro that came out a few years ago. He kinda seems like a dude who really cares but is also a huge pain in the rear end.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

What happened with Punk in AEW? All I remember after the Summer of Punk was him almost dying to a staph infection that WWE doctors didn't diagnose (including that hour long unlisted video of his rear end), him and Colt Cabana having a huge falling out, and getting his rear end kicked at MMA. Is he just overrated and his big comeback was a wet fart that he accepted no blame for?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

He’s made of glass and had an epic tantrum at a press conference that ended in backstage violence and a guy getting bitten

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

before the injury, however, he had a magnificent program with mjf and a good one with hangman

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Kvlt! posted:

there's a really interesting doc on Vampiro that came out a few years ago. He kinda seems like a dude who really cares but is also a huge pain in the rear end.

Vampiro had the same issue Konnan did, in that he got popular super fast without learning how to work first and it went right to his head. He's also compulsively dishonest on top of that so who knows how he really thinks or feels about anything.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

pseudodragon posted:

Isn't Road Agent just fight coordinator for guys that don't/can't call a match in the ring?
I think it can be a lot of things, but ideally a less cynical/more ideal situation would be less "coordinate match for people who can't do it themselves" and more:

a) Someone looped into/thinking about not only that specific match but the overall show to make sure, say, that aren't three "ref bump to visual pin to low blow" finishes on a single show
b) a veteran who is an extra collaborator who can offer suggestions if the wrestlers have great ideas for parts A, B, and D of their match but are unsure what to do for C (or how in their experience, A C B D would get an even better reaction)
c) Sometimes, someone to go "maybe you should not do this wildly dangerous spot"

It's another thing like 'writers' that have been used to ill effect in WWE for two decades or more, but that doesn't mean they don't serve a useful purpose in a functional environment. Lots of wrestlers who are more than capable of putting together matches themselves speak positively about certain agents/producers they've worked with over the years, and how they're more of a sounding board/problem solver/mentor than "person scripting a match for you." And it's also just a more formalized job/role that supplements/replacing the previous generations' "shooting the poo poo on a long car ride or at a bar after a show".

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What happened with Punk in AEW? All I remember after the Summer of Punk was him almost dying to a staph infection that WWE doctors didn't diagnose (including that hour long unlisted video of his rear end), him and Colt Cabana having a huge falling out, and getting his rear end kicked at MMA. Is he just overrated and his big comeback was a wet fart that he accepted no blame for?

He had a great run in AEW where he increased AEW's buyrates and ratings and was having good to great matches every time out. Then he got Hangman mad at him which led to him getting even madder at Hangman and the Elite, then he got injured and stewed on that for two months, came back, got injured and blew up in a planned rant on them at a press scrum, got into a fight with them, rehabbed his injury and now he's back and headlining AEW's new show.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Admiral Joeslop posted:

So Punk came back and it was a big deal. He spent a bunch of months just having matches with young AEW guys and elderly Bobby Fish, to which he gave the iggy (long story). He then had a loving phenomenal feud with MJF, where he got his first loss, but ultimately won the war.

Now, Colt Cabana was part of Dark Order during the beginning of Punk's run and his screentime petered out. Tony Khan was going to let his contract run out, but the Young Bucks pushed to have him at least be signed for Ring of Honor, Khan's secondary promotion. Considering the heat between Punk and Cabana, lots of people looked at what was going on and jumped to their own conclusions.

Hangman Page was champ and Punk challenged for the title. Since Page was the unofficial leader of the Dark Order and therefore buddies with Cabana, he threw in a brief line in a promo that was a reference to Cabana not being around because of Punk. It went over many heads and wasn't the focus of the feud, but it apparently got under Punk's skin legitimately and he stewed on it. He did not approve of that line and it made him look bad because for anyone who understood it, it made it seem like Punk actually had Cabana removed from the company. Punk won their big PPV match and a few days later broke his foot. He wasn't stripped of the title, but they did crown Moxley as the "interim champion." Mox proceeded to have a crazy good run as "not quite champion."

Punk came back in time for the PPV All Out. He would later claim he was not physically ready for it, but they came up with a decent speedrun of an angle with Mox that led to Punk winning at All Out. Two things of note during the lead-up: One, while in Chicago, a fan chanted "COLT CABANA!" and Punk notably got pretty pissed about it and made sure to insult said fan. Two, there was a storyline going on about MJF coming back from a break to cheaply win a #1 contender ladder match and then show up on the ramp moments after Punk won the belt back. Even though it was in Chicago, a lot of the crowd was pro-MJF and Punk was visibly irritated.

Also, he had torn his pec during the match. Regardless of everything else, he was going to be off TV for a long time.

During the post-PPV media scrum, Punk came out covered in blood, ate a muffin, and talked poo poo about Colt Cabana, Hangman Page, the Young Bucks, MJF, etc. He believed that the Bucks were the ones behind the "Punk had Colt fired" rumors. Tony Khan was kind of frozen by whatever the gently caress was going on here and didn't butt in at all. Afterwards, Kenny Omega and the Bucks got the head of legal with them so they could confront Punk in his locker room backstage. Details are iffy, but Punk and his buddy Ace Steel responded by coming out swinging and Ace bit hard into Omega's arm while Omega was trying to get Punk's dog to safety. This was a huge deal and everyone was suspended for a time while an investigation happened. Punk was not mentioned at all on TV, despite being stripped of the title.

The Elite eventually came back about a month and a half later. Punk has been healing up, but his status has been in question for a while. They even brought Cabana in for a match against Chris Jericho in what was seen as a gigantic middle finger to Punk. Now it looks like he's finally coming back to headline AEW's new weekly Saturday show, but there's still legal stuff going on between the two parties and as it is, Punk can't even call up the Bucks to apologize.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

Gavok posted:

elderly Bobby Fish, to which he gave the iggy (long story).

it's not a long story; it means "the iggy"

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
it's longer if you explain that it's otherwise know as the office

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

i totally hosed that up, having used all my brain power to select and delete on a phone. mentally amend it.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Gavok posted:

During the post-PPV media scrum, Punk came out covered in blood, ate a muffin, and talked poo poo about Colt Cabana, Hangman Page, the Young Bucks, MJF, etc. He believed that the Bucks were the ones behind the "Punk had Colt fired" rumors. Tony Khan was kind of frozen by whatever the gently caress was going on here and didn't butt in at all.
Extra context: What set him off at the scrum was that the first journalist in line was a friend of Colt's. Punk cut him off because he knew the guy was absolutely going to try to gotcha him about it, because when Punk was suspended he literally asked Tony the exact same question at the next PPV scrum. Meltzer also later admitted that he should've told Punk that the Bucks didn't start the rumor.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I watched an AEW PPV a couple months ago, I've forgotten which one. It had Christian, Moxley, loving Jeff Jarrett??? It was alright but I think I just don't get anything from new wrestling anymore. That backstage stuff is where it's at for me.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I watched an AEW PPV a couple months ago, I've forgotten which one. It had Christian, Moxley, loving Jeff Jarrett??? It was alright but I think I just don't get anything from new wrestling anymore. That backstage stuff is where it's at for me.

that also describes the ppv that was just 2 weeks ago

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Bonk posted:

Extra context: What set him off at the scrum was that the first journalist in line was a friend of Colt's. Punk cut him off because he knew the guy was absolutely going to try to gotcha him about it, because when Punk was suspended he literally asked Tony the exact same question at the next PPV scrum. Meltzer also later admitted that he should've told Punk that the Bucks didn't start the rumor.

There's also some speculation that Tony Khan had okayed Punk clearing the air at the press conference just didn't expect him to go so hard

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Jarrett is, and it hurts me to say this, pretty good on AEW. He's not the "King of the mountain", he's just an old man on his "last run" who is also getting younger people over.

AEW has a good number of "Old men", who all seem to just be fine working with the new kids.

(Not punk)

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
It warms my heart how well Billy Gunn has been doing in AEW. I was never much of a fan of his but this run feels more satisfying than the WWE overpushing him and then making him the butt of several jokes about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Somewhere in here Punk also started verbally slapfighting with Moxley, which led to a story about Mox trying to pitch an angle to Punk based on the Rocky movies and Punk saying he's never seen any of those