Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TheKingslayer posted:

I always got a kick out of Raven being on the cover of WCW/nWo Revenge

I know he had a faction and some popularity but he really doesn't fit in here.

One of the developers thought he was really cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I was loving around with them the other day and despite virtual pro 2 being my favorite, it stood out that revenge was actually the best looking game in the aki series. Wm 2000 and vpw2 looked bland and textureless, if not to the levels of vpw1 and wt, while no mercy was a step forward again it still looked worse than revenge, which just had really good looking lighting and character textures.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Revenge is the easy best out of all of the US games. No Mercy gets all the love but I’d rather play Revenge any day of the week.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Revenge is great, but I played No Mercy first so I was spoiled by the fun story mode and the mega royal rumble mode that let you unlock any of the hidden characters if you eliminated them. That was a good system, which is just as well because I think No Mercy had a big where it just deleted your save data after so many hours, lol.

Edit: on the other hand, No Mercy had those terrible ladder match mechanics. There are probably still people trying to beat Dean Malenko for the light heavyweight title to this very day.

Hedgehog Pie fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 26, 2023

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

TheKingslayer posted:

I always got a kick out of Raven being on the cover of WCW/nWo Revenge

I know he had a faction and some popularity but he really doesn't fit in here.

Even in that cover art he's clearly the odd man out

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

WCW/nWo Revenge had an amazing intro but the mechanics, CAW, and increased move pool from WM2K put No Mercy over the top for me. The 1.0 cartridge did have the "erase your save game and all created wrestlers" bug but I got lucky and it never affected me.

Recently I got an N64* and an Everdrive; my buddy had my No Mercy cart from high school and it still had everything saved so I was able to get all my CAWs transferred to the Everdrive :allears:

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Oh man, I haven't even thought about transferring my saves to my Everdrive. I have all my old carts still and some No Mercy saves from an emulator too, complete with a full roster of CAWs. Before copies of the game got stupid expensive my friend and I would always bring an N64 to cons we went to and go thrifting for used copies of No Mercy in the dealer's room. One time we found one where the only CAWs were Batista, an original creation...and Ted DiBiase Jr. Good times. :allears:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

no mercy da goat.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

no mercy has fps issues with 4 people making wm2000 and revenge superior

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I imported VPW2. My No Mercy copies always had the save deletion glitch so I grew to hate it.
VPW2 looks kinda rear end to be honest, its like Ultimate WM 2000 with a better roster and better customization of movesets and style, and its got mma, and its just really really good, except it looks like WM2000. If it had women's wrestling and weapons that worked like in No Mercy, instead of falling through the floor when you drop them, I would never need another wrestling game.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Whatever happened with the Jim Cornette vs Ron Garvin steel cage match that was supposed to happen may 1987? Did it never happen?

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

haljordan posted:

God I spent soooo many hours playing that game. I think I still have the cartridge down in my basement.

Oh man not only do I have the cartridge but I still have the full box and instruction booklet in pretty good condition.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

Whatever happened with the Jim Cornette vs Ron Garvin steel cage match that was supposed to happen may 1987? Did it never happen?

Yeah, they had a short series around the horn.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Welp time to find some good emulators because y’all have given me the desire to revisit all my favorite old wrestling games.

Where my ECW ANARCHY RULZ heads at

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Kilometers Davis posted:

Welp time to find some good emulators because y’all have given me the desire to revisit all my favorite old wrestling games.

In a landfill site along with the game I'd assume

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I played it so much. I remember finding it barely playable even at the time but I loved BLOOD in wrestling games and obviously loved ECW so I convinced myself it was good and dumped so many hours into it. I wonder how truly awful it is to play in 2023.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

i played a horrible amount of wwf additude and i have no nostalgia for that engine

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Kilometers Davis posted:

I bought Hardcore Revolution as soon as it came out and was so insanely disappointed that it was just the Attitude engine again and didn't even have the right rules for ECW. I bought Anarchy Rulz when it was in the clearance bin for like 5 bucks and was still disappointed.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
i had at least one of those games. dumbass mark child

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
What happened that the incredible aki wrestling engine has stopped being used after the def jam games. Like it was absolutely perfect for wrestling

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Oh man I forgot about Hardcore Revolution. That cover really brings me back. I bought basically every single wrestling game back in the day and played them for hours and hours.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

fr0id posted:

What happened that the incredible aki wrestling engine has stopped being used after the def jam games. Like it was absolutely perfect for wrestling

I believe AKI used it for the Def Jam games and possibly some Ultimate Muscle games that only came out in Japan and then they stopped making wrestling games. The AEW game is inspired by the AKI games and from what people who've gotten to play it have said it feels like it.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Drakkel posted:

I believe AKI used it for the Def Jam games and possibly some Ultimate Muscle games that only came out in Japan and then they stopped making wrestling games. The AEW game is inspired by the AKI games and from what people who've gotten to play it have said it feels like it.

It’s been 20 years. It’s the bar none best engine ever made. I can’t believe it’s only now that someone is redoing it.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Ultimate Muscle: Legends vs New Generation and Galactic Wrestling Featuring Ultimate Muscle both came out in the US and they are fun as hell. I hope Fight Forever is as fun as those because I sank hours and hours into them.

AKI became Syn Sophia and made the Style Savvy games (and more recently Fashion Dreamer) which...are also extremely fun in completely different ways.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

fr0id posted:

It’s been 20 years. It’s the bar none best engine ever made. I can’t believe it’s only now that someone is redoing it.

there is/was a pc version being worked on by some dude. Im with you it never should have left.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
The last fighting games AKI made were Kurohyou 1 & 2 for the PSP which were Yakuza spinoffs.

Looking at their gameography, they started to become a subcontracting non-wrestling developer for publishers around 2006. Before that, they were being subcontracted for wrestling games by THQ, Bandai and EA. My guess is Kinnikuman games weren’t profitable enough so they stopped producing them and EA decided to make Def Jam with an internal dev team.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Lmao at setting up ANOTHER Tully vs dusty money match/TV title match and immediately having thr 4 horsemen break dusty leg again.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Ok come on. That 1987 tully/dusty 100k TV title featuring Magnum TA ending. I now understand "a dusty finish". Lmao at not booking a dusty win. Lmao at Tommy Young always being the dusty finish ref.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Dusty loved to book himself in a Dusty finish, what can you do.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
never let a wrestler be booker

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
NWA World Chpionship Wrestling 6/27/87 taping has a hell of a match between The Garvins and The Dream Team. A real entertaining 30 minutes.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 6, 2023

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

never let a wrestler be booker

The inverse is generally also true.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

NWA World Chpionship Wrestling 6/27/87 taping has a hell of a match between The Garvins and The Dream Team. A real entertaining 30 minutes.

i will check this out thx

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Suplex Liberace posted:

i will check this out thx

Heads up after that match Jim Cornette comes out and says an actual racial slur.

It was a really good match though with a real good ending.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Animal-Mother posted:

The inverse is generally also true.

Honestly, out of all the poo poo booking tropes, this sort of crap is really the loving dirt worst.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
russo got a concussion from that match lol

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I've seen people say that Russo being champion wasn't any worse than when Vince McMahon held the WWF title for a week the previous year. That was definitely crap too, but at least McMahon was over as a character and had been in a few matches before. Russo had been on TV for less than a year and was already extremely grating to pretty much everyone watching. You could also argue that McMahon with the belt at least kind of developed the storyline with new top heel HHH, as opposed to Russo winning just making the supposed superfaces Booker T and Goldberg look like idiots (again).

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

didn't vince give up the title like right away as well?

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

Heads up after that match Jim Cornette comes out and says an actual racial slur.

It was a really good match though with a real good ending.

i watch tons of old wrestling so im used to random slurs but thx. that was a fun as hell tag flair and Ron choping at the beging was great. When JJ kidnapped Precious i was having a great time. ARe you gonna watch flair and rons cagematch at Starcade i remember really enjoying it when i watched it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Suplex Liberace posted:

i watch tons of old wrestling so im used to random slurs but thx. that was a fun as hell tag flair and Ron choping at the beging was great. When JJ kidnapped Precious i was having a great time. ARe you gonna watch flair and rons cagematch at Starcade i remember really enjoying it when i watched it.

Eventually. I've been watching the old JCP/wcw in order starting with starcadde '85. I'm hoping to get to starccade '87 by the end of the month.

I figured the Garvin/Flair match is going to be good. Both of those guys can put a hell of a show on in the ring.

I'd say Flair, Garvin, Arn, and Tully are probably the best showman solo wrestlers for physicality.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 7, 2023