Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Young Freud posted:

For the first day of Pride month, Matt Walsh thought he could be extra cruel and stream his transphobic documentary "What Is A Woman?" on Twitter, only to find that it was flagged for hate speech. Supposedly, there was a behind the scenes deal between Twitter and the Daily Wire to do this, but it looks like it got pulled regardless.

Elon's solution was to make it so you only see it if someone you follow shares it. Then he shared it.

Morroque posted:

It's strange. It is not like Twitter ran their own translation department, so it was probably another external service they were being invoiced for, which the new management decided not to pay. I would have to wonder how long it was that Twitter was stiffing them on it, given it lasted this long.

... but at the same point, when they published the algorithm's source code, the language of a given post was a key point of categorization. That implies language detection is part of the process, which likely requires some same part of the translation toolkit, which might not have happened in-house.

I'm just wondering what else might be broken now. A lot of things, obviously, but I'm just anticipating the knock-on-effects which Musk is obviously blind to.

Looks like it might have been broken accidentally since no one left knows what they're doing or has someone who can check their code

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Translation button back.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
I guess the thing about doing development directly onto to prod is, even if everything still works, it gives the impression that everything's falling apart anyway...

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
I'm sure glad Twitter Blue completely solved the bot problem the site has.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
One more big piece of fallout from the streaming documentary fiasco- one of their top iOS engineers just quit

https://twitter.com/niw/status/1664414700984242177

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

haveblue posted:

One more big piece of fallout from the streaming documentary fiasco- one of their top iOS engineers just quit

https://twitter.com/niw/status/1664414700984242177

It wasn't mentioned in my earlier post, but the head of brand and ad safety resigned as well. So, expect more scam ad campaigns and hate speech masquerading as advertisements going on Twitter. Accelerate that rate of decline, Elon! You can hit Twitter being worth $9 billion far sooner than October.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Would you pay $8 for Twitter? No, not Blue, the whole thing. C'mon mun, I need some hilp here!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Payndz posted:

Would you pay $8 for Twitter? No, not Blue, the whole thing. C'mon mun, I need some hilp here!

The white souf effrican accent really sells it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Entry #643 in 'Elon Stays Winning'

https://twitter.com/halomancer1/status/1665009281320484867?s=20

This is honestly impressive

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Entry #643 in 'Elon Stays Winning'

https://twitter.com/halomancer1/status/1665009281320484867?s=20

This is honestly impressive

I read that list (as well as posted later in that thread) and he beat out Facebook and Spirit Airlines.

https://twitter.com/SadDaddy96/status/1665010250108338176?s=20

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

how is Comcast not #1?

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Shrecknet posted:

how is Comcast not #1?

it deserves to be below all those except probably tiktok

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Shrecknet posted:

how is Comcast not #1?

I suspect it's a low-level conspiracy that there's a mix of ISPs. Everyone hates their ISP because they're a regional monopoly or duopoly, but people often don't band together because "Oh you think Comcast is bad? We have Suddenlink here and they're worse." It keeps people from banding together over their bullshit.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Shrecknet posted:

how is Comcast not #1?
IIRC it used to be, at least by some ratings. The FAA concurs on Spirit though.

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/332694037821784066

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah I made the mistake of flying on Spirit once, never again

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
How do enough people even know that FTX exists to hate it into second place?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There are probably a lot of people who only know about it from its widely reported collapse

Although that does make me curious whether that chart is comparing raw negative vote totals or the balance of positive vs negative. If only 100 people have heard of you and they all hate you, does that make you “more hated” than a brand with 500 haters and 500 fans?

haveblue fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 4, 2023

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I'm not from the US and literally the only thing I know about Spirit airlines is apparently it's the worst. I've don't think I've ever seen it mentioned other than when people are complaining about how bad it is.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Shrecknet posted:

how is Comcast not #1?

They paid a lot of money to mostly be Xfinity.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I think Spirit is a great company. A huge pile of consumers said, "we want the absolute lowest airfares, far lower than would be reasonable," and Spirit was like, "okay, gotcha, watch this!"

The fact that people hate it when they discover they hate exactly what they asked for is funny and good. What did you expect?

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

are their deals really any better than southwest though

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

cumpantry posted:

are their deals really any better than southwest though

I doubt it, but people must be falling for their bullshit for some reason.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

PT6A posted:

I doubt it, but people must be falling for their bullshit for some reason.
People very reliably only look at the headline price and don’t think about bullshit fees and surcharges. That’s one of the big reasons why attempts to get rid of tipping and just increase restaurant prices has never had legs.

Spirit takes great advantage of this tendency by offering cheap fares, but then nickel and dining you on everything. All said and done, most people will spend less on a Southwest flight.

edit: I once flew Spirit back from South America. Going though regular security, you couldn’t bring liquids like normal. I brought my empty water bottle through and filled it up on the inside. Then when boarding at the gate, for “security” they checked everyone’s carryons for liquids again for “security” and my water bottle got dumped. This delayed the flight and was apparently a ploy to sell water on board. Then my knees hit the seat in front of me, and I’m short. It was almost enough to make me buy a Spirit Signature Cocktail (minutemade and vodka) to dull the pain.

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jun 5, 2023

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
reminds me when the ceo/prez of JCpenny wanted to have honest prices and sales went bad because people wanted to have the pretend skinner box prices.

humans are stupid.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Yeah for all the stupid ideas executives have, that guy deserved a pat on a back and a "good hustle, champ. Better luck next time."

...although I don't want to know what else he tried because it'll probably pop that bubble wide open.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

PT6A posted:

I think Spirit is a great company. A huge pile of consumers said, "we want the absolute lowest airfares, far lower than would be reasonable," and Spirit was like, "okay, gotcha, watch this!"

The fact that people hate it when they discover they hate exactly what they asked for is funny and good. What did you expect?

Southwest is the lowest, Spirit doesn't even have that going for them.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
I think Southwest is only lower if you don't have any bags, Spirit and Frontier have typically been the cheapest flights for me. But then again I also don't give a poo poo about choosing my seat ahead of time, priority boarding, or any of the other stuff they nickle and dime you on.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I flew Spirit a couple times (mostly be a use of departure times) and never had a problem with it. All the nickel and dime stuff can get annoying, but I never needed those options anyway. I expected flight quality to be all turbulence and stuff, but it wasnt any different than American

Like, all the viral airplane passenger freakout videos, I swear it's 90% United or Delta airlines

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Like, all the viral airplane passenger freakout videos, I swear it's 90% United or Delta airlines

Which airline do you get if you want your plane to be taken over by criminals and than saved in a action packed ninety minute thrill ride by an off duty cop/ex Green Beret/US president?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

that would be Atlantic Air, the agreed-upon shared fake airline all 6 Hollywood Studios use so they don't have to continually come up with increasingly oddball trade dress to avoid copyright. Sake with the small central American country of Val Verde used in every action movie that needed a tinpot dictator to be attacked by a roided up monster in the 80s

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Shrecknet posted:

that would be Atlantic Air, the agreed-upon shared fake airline all 6 Hollywood Studios use so they don't have to continually come up with increasingly oddball trade dress to avoid copyright. Sake with the small central American country of Val Verde used in every action movie that needed a tinpot dictator to be attacked by a roided up monster in the 80s

Atlantic Air is poo poo, I prefer Air-O and Cabo Air. They still let you smoke Red Apples, and Air-O has very liberal policies regarding forbidden items in hand baggage :v:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I used to fly Oceanic, but I had a pretty bad experience coming back from Sydney one time

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I flew for the first time in years and was shocked at how bad the nickle-and-diming has become. Every little thing had a charge, every little thing had an upsell. I was peppered with emails trying to get me to spend more more more on a 1.5 hour flight. It was so stupid, particularly because the flying experience for those flying economy only ever gets worse, and the higher classes only become more extravagantly priced.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I flew Spirit a couple times (mostly be a use of departure times) and never had a problem with it. All the nickel and dime stuff can get annoying, but I never needed those options anyway. I expected flight quality to be all turbulence and stuff, but it wasnt any different than American
The severe problem with Spirit is that if your plane can't leave the airport, Spirit's answer is "gently caress you". They don't have other planes they can put you on, and they don't have reciprocal agreements with other airlines.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

haveblue posted:

I used to fly Oceanic, but I had a pretty bad experience coming back from Sydney one time

The mid 2000s were a wild time

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

haveblue posted:

That used to be the premiere fake airline for tv, but the association with Lost killed it. Just like how you can’t get Morley cigarettes on tv any more. And don’t get me started on Slusho. At least there’s still Donuts Donuts, which hasn’t updated the logo to match the new Dunkin Donuts logo, which I guess would just be Donuts. Or Donu.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Oh hey, Slusho’s actually back as of three weeks ago:

https://slusho.com

I guess there’s going to be a Cloverfield 4.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Dick Trauma posted:

I flew for the first time in years and was shocked at how bad the nickle-and-diming has become. Every little thing had a charge, every little thing had an upsell. I was peppered with emails trying to get me to spend more more more on a 1.5 hour flight. It was so stupid, particularly because the flying experience for those flying economy only ever gets worse, and the higher classes only become more extravagantly priced.

That's just how everything works now - now just flying. Everything as a service, everything is an add-on, everything is a subscription.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I AM GRANDO posted:

Oh hey, Slusho’s actually back as of three weeks ago:

https://slusho.com

I guess there’s going to be a Cloverfield 4.
Yeah maybe 6 months ago it came out that there was going to be a more direct sequel to the original coming out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Apparently, it's Linda Yaccarino's first day on the job. Anyone want to setup a "death" pool on how long she lasts before resigning or getting fired?