Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

we (wife, son, daughter, wife's family) have been at a rented beach house this weekend. two funny things have happened. first is that, for some reason, my son is convinced that this house belongs to his grandfather and keeps saying how he wants to come back to his granddad's house. bad news on that count buddy.

second is that my wife's younger (like early 20s) brother is here with one of his friends. my mother in law has been referring to them as the boys, and my son has picked that up and is saying stuff like "thats the boys, they're going to the beach" or "the boys need to wake up". it's just funny to hear a little toddler talk about adults like that lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

BonHair posted:

Yeah, my father in law is still low key traumatized by my wife being put under as a small kid. Apparently, seeing your kid essentially lifeless with a (very small) chance of not waking up is not that fun.

I held my 8mo olds hand while they sedated her for an mri and I'm still kind of traumatized by it a dozen years later, so I totally get this.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Another Bill posted:

I held my 8mo olds hand while they sedated her for an mri and I'm still kind of traumatized by it a dozen years later, so I totally get this.

I did this for a birth defect surgery on my first son it’s real loving rough.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Thankfully didn't have to actually see my son get put under for his ear tubes, but man that hour after he woke up from it was rough. Inconsolable sobbing.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Do safe sleep rules seem completely arbitrary to anyone else?

Like, if my kid falls asleep in the car seat, that's fine, and if he falls asleep on my lap in the glider chair that's fine, but if he falls asleep in his swing I have to keep nudging him to make him move every few minutes so I know he hasn't just kind of died for mysterious and generally unknown reasons. Why does sids just not happen in the car seat if the swing is such a big risk? These two sleep surfaces are basically equivalent

He was a late birth and is a generally large baby so he's low risk anyway I guess

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

"Don't put anything in the bassinet" is an easy enough rule to follow but I do not see the distinction between the swing and the car seat

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
No one ever told me that rule.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

They can sleep in the swing, just not necessarily great for them getting so used to it they have trouble falling asleep on land. But like, I never heard that an hour nap in it every so often is a problem.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

car seats aren't recommended for baby outside of the car, the risk there is same for swing: baby head is too heavy for neck, may fall over. Head falling forward or another weird way can cause suffocation.

baby sleeping in car seat while in car, though, is the safest option for baby. Plus it's a car good luck keeping baby awake in a moving vehicle.

in either seat, a sleeping baby is ok as long as you're supervising

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Mustached Demon posted:

baby sleeping in car seat while in car, though, is the safest option for baby. Plus it's a car good luck keeping baby awake in a moving vehicle.

assuming a properly installed carseat, which...

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I am convinced that the harsh guidance of the American Pediatric Association contribute to upper class Americans being complete psychopaths. From cradle to the grave their quality of life has been eroded because of thought leaders with credentials said "babies should never sleep with their mother, if they do one time THEY DIE".

I understand that blankets and loose cloth are bad for infants. Keeping an entire bassinet sterile, with no covering, and in a separate room is like.... Idk too much. I coslept with my ma on oriental fuzzy blankets and I never died.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
cosleeping is ftw

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

He also has what seems like uncanny head control for a 4-week-old so I'm not worried about that either

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

500 good dogs posted:

cosleeping is ftw
not if you're the dad who gets evicted from bed every time the babby wants your spot
:arghfist::mad:

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
skill issue

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Wife wakes up with every little fidget that infant makes. Toddler will climb Mt. Sleepy Dad, cover my airway with his belly, and I will still not wake up.

Mom could splash water on my face, I'll mumble out "salty.... Skill diff", roll over, and go right back to making sleepy sounds like "snoooooor.... Mimimimimimimi"

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
that's right

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
:ohdear: Please tell me I'm not the only parent here that worries about my kids when they are older. And I mean beyond existential worries like climate change, the job market, etc. More like stuff like bullying, abuse, teen pregnancy, etc. Perhaps I am just being an anxious parent that fears the worst. I see some of the mistakes my younger cousins made growing up in spite of their parents because well intentioned efforts and it just makes me worry for the future.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I mean I worry less about that stuff because of the existential stuff but yep.

My job is not to shield my child from all harm, because that's impossible and they grow up. My job is to try and teach my kid how to be resilient in the face of that poo poo and to give them a loving space to come back to if they need help. That's the mantra I keep telling myself if I think about it too much.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yeah, my kid might get hate crimed like how I was and I just hope that I teach him well enough to survive it, tell me/someone about it, and (maybe even dad can't guarantee it) get some sort of retribution. If he even tries the second step then he'll do better than me and generational progress will have been made

I just have to trust I made them strong enough for this world. I just have to trust that the world is soft enough for my son.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Panfilo posted:

:ohdear: Please tell me I'm not the only parent here that worries about my kids when they are older. And I mean beyond existential worries like climate change, the job market, etc. More like stuff like bullying, abuse, teen pregnancy, etc. Perhaps I am just being an anxious parent that fears the worst. I see some of the mistakes my younger cousins made growing up in spite of their parents because well intentioned efforts and it just makes me worry for the future.

I’m worried because I have friends who are teachers in my kids district and phones/social media are a big problem. my 6yr old keep on asking me for a dang phone.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Panfilo posted:

Parenting is and always has been a high stakes test where you don't get to see the answer key, your answers to previous questions change the correct answers to future questions, and sometimes the paper catches on fire of its own accord.

And it's all a balancing act where not protecting your kids enough from the dangers they face can ruin their life, and protecting them too much will make them unable to cope with future challenges.

And it's okay to be anxious about that. You're not the only one. All kids gently caress up to some level about something in their teens. Be there for them when it happens, and you're probably going better than the average parent.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
yeah I worry every single day about the future for my kids who will absolutely be bullied by shitheads and exposed to horrible poo poo I can't control.

but that's not really super productive so I try not to dwell on it. instead I just use that energy to make sure my kids trust and look for me when they're in a spot like that in the future.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

kecske posted:

not if you're the dad who gets evicted from bed every time the babby wants your spot
:arghfist::mad:

their favorite tactic was attempting to disembowel me like an ostrich

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

My oldest very much doesn't understand the concept of peer pressure and has an extremely strong sense of self worth, so I'm not too worried about bullying and stuff. But yeah, he's starting in autism school in August, and my wife is worried about him fitting into regular society and so on, which makes sense. I'm pretty much not worried, because I'm fairly confident that we're doing the best we can. But I realize that's just me being able to disconnect like that.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Panfilo posted:

I hate that this will happen, but I know that it'll happen
Someone's gonna be cruel

Welcome to parenthood!

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Panfilo posted:

poo poo happens to everyone. your kid has a leg up by having a good parent who cares and will be there when it does.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Saga of the sick girl continues. Fever came back yesterday, we knocked it down with ibuprofen and tylenol. She's eating less and less as time goes so we're worried about dehydration, and then last night she wouldn't sleep unless it was on one of us so I just laid there with her on my chest for like 4-5 hours and now I feel like a zombie.

Fully expecting the ped to kind of brush off the concerns today because there's no acute signs of something like UTI or ear infection. I know they see a million of these cases, but man is it hell to live it.

Panfilo posted:

The existential worries probably occupy more of my conscious mind just because they seem more... obvious? There's no sense worrying about the more mundane human stuff because you can't see them coming and largely can't do anything to change it. Honestly that just sounds like general anxiety to me channeled through a kid. Which, don't get me wrong, I understand.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
She's not even born yet and I'm already afraid we're going to ruin her based on mistakes to the baby registry

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

HootTheOwl posted:

She's not even born yet and I'm already afraid we're going to ruin her based on mistakes to the baby registry

if you do, just shake her like an etch a sketch to reset

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

HootTheOwl posted:

Cooking Mama put out a baby game to teach people how to care for babies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMEg6mfTfF4

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
my kid said "[thing] for the win" today and I have no idea where they got that from

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

500 good dogs posted:

my kid said "[thing] for the win" today and I have no idea where they got that from

from u

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

It's tru

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

My two-year-old requested Paw Patrol today. We have never once mentioned it in her presence or out of it. Where is she getting this stuff??? I'm a homeschooler now

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Just say no

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
I don't like paw patrol either but I'm of the opinion that little kids are better off thinking authority figures are there to protect them rather than developing anxiety about the world due to absorbing whatever cspam poo poo we're radiating. There's plenty of time to give them a healthy skepticism about copaganda later.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Sherbert Hoover posted:

I don't like paw patrol either but I'm of the opinion that little kids are better off thinking authority figures are there to protect them rather than developing anxiety about the world due to absorbing whatever cspam poo poo we're radiating. There's plenty of time to give them a healthy skepticism about copaganda later.

lol no

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
post skin color, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
another issue is the loving monarchist children’s programming out there. I’ve had to educate my kid about how people aren’t loving servants among other things. even this multi volume early reading series that my kid loves and is excited about reading is all about this bullshit and dragons.

there is this idiotic succ as hell one on Netflix that is about princess wearing pants. thankfully that one is not being watched anymore. just seems real easy to writers to just crank out this hierarchal drivel to animation.

basically court intrigue for kids and it sucks.