Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

So this is spiral power. Not bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
What a twist

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Raposa posted:

drat, now they'll have the anti-spirals on their asses.

I wouldn't even blink if that would be the next arc antagonists.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I just get so much joy watching these kids gently caress some aliens up.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
lmao if Okarun gets home from Snake Way and all the evil aliens are dead because his friends are just that awesome.

gently caress yeah, Aira. I was worried you'd never get to win a fight. Acro-Silky rules and is maybe my second-or-third favorite visual design in the manga.

But yeah Kuchisake Onna's gonna crash this party, and Okarun and Momo are both the Goku who'll beat her. It is inevitable.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Alejandro Sanchez posted:

weekly publication btw
was gonna say, either they have the best, biggest team on their side, or they're working themselves into the grave by like next week

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
Seems like spinning is indeed a good trick

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Desumaytah posted:

lmao if Okarun gets home from Snake Way and all the evil aliens are dead because his friends are just that awesome.

gently caress yeah, Aira. I was worried you'd never get to win a fight. Acro-Silky rules and is maybe my second-or-third favorite visual design in the manga.

But yeah Kuchisake Onna's gonna crash this party, and Okarun and Momo are both the Goku who'll beat her. It is inevitable.

Oh man, I would love it if Okarun's only contribution is telling everyone else to spin. It honestly doesn't even feel like his fight anyways, the others put in all the work in training, so they should get the dub

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
Seems like Dandadan suddenly has a tag for drill hair

Lock Knight
Oct 5, 2012

You're gonna carry that weight.
Cybernetic Crumb

Shinji2015 posted:

Oh man, I would love it if Okarun's only contribution is telling everyone else to spin. It honestly doesn't even feel like his fight anyways, the others put in all the work in training, so they should get the dub

I wanna see him flatten that xenomorph-Guyver looking dude he fought last time.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I'm so glad they're letting everyone use the power of the spirals so far. The drill hair and Evil Eye Gun were so goddamn cool. This manga is so goddamn cool.

Lock Knight posted:

I don't recall, have we seen that guy doing anything in this fight? I think he's still around, ready to get his rear end beat by Okarun's spirals.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
IIRC it was trying to break through Serpo's shield

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Lock Knight posted:

Should be easy, Okarun had him on the ropes last time until the Momo copy cat started interfering.

Kuchisake Onna will be beaten by the ugly dork.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1016711

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

I love you Mr. Shrimp

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Also Tatsu made some art for Street Fighter 6

https://twitter.com/DheeruPra/status/1663563561967456257

He used the leaked Rashid design that hasn't been officially shown off yet lol

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

RuBisCO posted:

I love you Mr. Shrimp

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

RuBisCO posted:

I love you Mr. Shrimp

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

RuBisCO posted:

I love you Mr. Shrimp

He's such a good friend to these kids.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
Mr. Shrimp really is the best

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

RuBisCO posted:

I love you Mr. Shrimp

I can’t believe my favorite character is a crustacean with boxing gloves

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
You know they say that all aliens are created equal, but you look at me and you look at bug alien, and you can see that statement is not true. See, normally if you go one on one with another alien, you got a 50/50 chance of winning. But I'm Mr. Shrimp and I'm not normal! So you got a 25%, AT BEST, at beat me. See when you jump in the water, you got a 100 times increase in strength, but when I jump in the water, I get a 10 times increase, and then I shapeshift you times by that 24, which means I got a 240 percent chance of winning.

See, the numbers don't lie, and they spell disaster for you in Dandadan.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
In a genre rife with arbitrary powerups that have to be announced and justified with quantification, Mr. Shrimp understands that spurious math is the true secret weapon.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Lovin these chapters of all the good boys and girls fighting but omg get back to Momo !!!

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
For a second I thought I was reading the MHA thread and got extremely confused.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Lt. Lizard posted:

no, see, in this thread we receive satisfying payoffs

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

In a genre rife with arbitrary powerups that have to be announced and justified with quantification, Mr. Shrimp understands that spurious math is the true secret weapon.

Mr. Shrimp isn't actually lying about being stronger underwater. Real Life Mantis Shrimp punch so hard that they cause the water around the point of impact to boil and create bubbles. Then water rushes back in to fill that space creating a 2nd impact which has been calculated to sometimes exceed the force of the initial punch. So when he's transformed he has full access to the unique biology of the Mantis Shrimp which lets their fists accelerate equivalent to the speed of a small calibur bullet being fired, and he's a big boy not a simple shrimp. The end result is a punch that's not only stupid fast, but would basically have the equivalent of Big O's pilebunker followup whenever he strikes something underwater. His namesake punches the poo poo out of hard shelled creatures to eat, and that Ayylmao fits the category.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m78_sOEadC8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQ8JC1d_wgY&t=424s

Mr. Shrimp also gave probably the coldest last lines of the Dandadagang after no-selling being injected with venom and pummeled to near death. He's simply the perfect character; a great father, a strong fighter, and a total bro fighting for his friends. It is no surprise that whenever a Mantis Shrimp themed character shows up in a story, he's my favorite. Thinking about Keiji from Terra Formars.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I forget, I feel like he had an attack that was just "Cavitation Bubble" or "Cavitation Wave/Punch/Strike/whatever" already, right?

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Ain't arguing with any of that, I just get tickled by the precision in saying things like "I'm 12x/16x/19.5x stronger now". Though now I think about it I guess I could believe if anyone's keeping such precise, careful records of their Daily Gains it'd be Shrimp

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Brought To You By posted:

Mr. Shrimp isn't actually lying about being stronger underwater. Real Life Mantis Shrimp punch so hard that they cause the water around the point of impact to boil and create bubbles. Then water rushes back in to fill that space creating a 2nd impact which has been calculated to sometimes exceed the force of the initial punch. So when he's transformed he has full access to the unique biology of the Mantis Shrimp which lets their fists accelerate equivalent to the speed of a small calibur bullet being fired, and he's a big boy not a simple shrimp. The end result is a punch that's not only stupid fast, but would basically have the equivalent of Big O's pilebunker followup whenever he strikes something underwater. His namesake punches the poo poo out of hard shelled creatures to eat, and that Ayylmao fits the category.

Mr. Shrimp also gave probably the coldest last lines of the Dandadagang after no-selling being injected with venom and pummeled to near death. He's simply the perfect character; a great father, a strong fighter, and a total bro fighting for his friends. It is no surprise that whenever a Mantis Shrimp themed character shows up in a story, he's my favorite. Thinking about Keiji from Terra Formars.

It also pulls its punches if it’s not in the water.
Link

But yeah, math in shounen. Always a great combination

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

It also pulls its punches if it’s not in the water.
Link
Which was also used against Mr. Shrimp during the Nessie fight.

Ain't arguing with any of that, I just get tickled by the precision in saying things like "I'm 12x/16x/19.5x stronger now". Though now I think about it I guess I could believe if anyone's keeping such precise, careful records of their Daily Gains it'd be Shrimp
I just felt it worth noting that of all the crazy things that could be quantified, there are actual graphs at the core of this particular encounter. That and the Mantis Shrimp is one of my favorite animals in nature so I just wanted to give a NatGeo infodump. :science:

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Oh yeah, sorry, don't get me wrong, that post was great! My only point was, as expressed in the comic, it's just not the terms by which people usually understand or verbally express our own capabilities. And that's more a function of the medium in general; like for drama purposes you want to express why the hero is the underdog, and then gradually reveal the reason why they're able to turn the tables.

It's not even exclusive to manga; Aquaman is stronger underwater and the same basic scenario has probably played out numerous times over the decades. How do you express that sort of tension, conflict, and catharsis in a way that works in a mixed visual/textual medium? Better people than me have tried. "You have X? Well I have X+1!" is as good a way as any of whetting the reader's expectations, if accompanied by appropriately expressive art. I guess the other end of the spectrum would be, for example, Frank Quitely's art in We3; the violence is usually silent, kinetic, inventive, and requires a hefty investment on the part of the reader. No judgments either way! I just find shouting Numberwang to be amusing on its own merits.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Oh yeah, sorry, don't get me wrong, that post was great! My only point was, as expressed in the comic, it's just not the terms by which people usually understand or verbally express our own capabilities. And that's more a function of the medium in general; like for drama purposes you want to express why the hero is the underdog, and then gradually reveal the reason why they're able to turn the tables.

There's no foul here, I don't think either of us disagree with the other. I'll also put We3 on my reading list, I looked it up and it's a short enough series.

If I'd want to add anything further it's just to compliment the mangaka for understanding how to use numberwank effectively rather than having it bog down the story or being absurd. I think there are few times when someone has to quantify they are doing something stronger in terms of numbers but there are probably more than I remember but they just get woven into the story so cleanly. Moments like having Serpico declare that once he has two other clones together they are in the "awesome zone". Turbo Granny telling Okarun to hit five "beats" in one "note" sequeing into the awesome, afterimage headbutt spread against the composers.

This series is very much a complete package. I actually feel bad for whoever has to try and animate this down the line because they have big shoes to fill not just with the visuals, but with the pacing and timing of things.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Oops

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 7, 2023

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Lt. Lizard posted:

Yeah no one would be saying that in the MHA thread

Brought To You By posted:

That's super cool. I'm stoked this comic gives all the non main characters time to be great.

Internet Predator
Dec 27, 2007

I've strangled necks of ages with the fabric of new words. The fires were amazing. Why would you put those out?
Just saw this and thought I'd post it.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
It's either going to be amazing or terrible, no way inbetween

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1016992

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

i hope nobody ever tells momo the difference between a kikoho and a kikosho